main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Douglas Adams Quote Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DaenaBenjen42, May 26, 2021.

1. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    With Mod approval, I bring you a quote roulette challenge dedicated to...

Douglas Adams! (Whom we, the world, lost too soon in 2001, had the same birthday as the discovery of the other DNA, and went backpacking in Europe and got drunk in a field after a confusing day involving a string of people from a blind and deaf convention (really), and had an idea, and "almost, but not quite, forgot about it." That idea? Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Don't panic.)

The rules: pick a number between one and fifty, use the quote as inspiration for a story of your choosing, in the fandom of your choice. You do not need to use the quote actually in the story, but if you can... ;)
    There is no deadline as the subject of our challenge loved deadlines, but he also loved the whizzing noise they made as they went by, according to Neil Gaiman.
    Remember to keep to the TOS.

3. Raissa Baiard
    9. earlybird-obi-wan
    12. devilinthedetails
    21. Briannakin
    22. mavjade
    24. Mira_Jade
    31. Jedi_Lover
    37. daenabenjen42
    41. CaraJinn
    42. Kit'
    45. JediMaster_Jen
    50. Findswoman

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  2. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    May I have 42???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I LOVE Douglas Adams, though I need to read more of his stuff. I probably shouldn't because the muse isn't nice, but I'm going to anyway.

Full disclosure, I've seen the list of quotes (unless they've been reordered), so I did a random number generator: can I have 22 please?

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    @Kit' - 42!!! I lost it. [face_rofl] [face_rofl]

Well, with the answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything taken, I'd love to invert that and ask for #24, please. :D

6. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    All right, I have my trusty towel at the ready and a Babel fish in my ear, so...may I have #3?

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    What a neat idea for a challenge!

I'll take #12 please:)

9. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Honestly, I was laughing so, so hard at that, but Mira said it before I could. :) All PM's sent, so far.

10. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    *sigh* I thought of asking for 42 but @Kit' had sprinted to it. Then I planned on turning the figures around and decided to ask for 24 instead, but alas @Mira_Jade was there first.

So may I have #41 please? And don't tell anyone that I for a long long time believed that the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything" actually was 41 - some years after I read the book. So much for good memory...[face_dunno]

11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I doubt my muse will give me anything, but since there are 50, I dont feel too bad stealing one and seeing if it knocks anything loose. I have read much of Douglas Adams, but what I have I have always enjoyed!

A random number generator gave me #21 so I'll go with half the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything.

12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I too have too many other challenge prompts outstanding, but this is such a cool idea, and I say there’s nothing wrong with having multiple prompts “in the pocket”! So I would like to ask for no. 50, please. :)

13. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Posted my response to my prompt (finally).

Threshold staring Tara (OC) and Yoda

14. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Well done and added to the index. :) (Also... they know this already, but all PM's sent.)

And as I did not trust myself to pick a number for myself (I know what these are, after all)... @devilinthedetails gave me the random number of #37

devilinthedetails likes this.
  15. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have this story as response to the prompt it was only natural with Yoda, Fay and my Dunai elder characters

16. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Since I'm in a writing mood, may I have #45?

17. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I wrote something! Actually been like 99% finished for awhile, I just couldn't think of a title and then I forgot about even writing something for this. Out in the Wash is up!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Kit' and DaenaBenjen42 like this.
  18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hello @Kit' ! A quick question: are you OK with stories for this challenge fulfilling other prompts/challenges, too? :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
    DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  19. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Absolutely! Doubling up on challenge fulfilment is always a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaenaBenjen42 and Findswoman like this.
  20. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    @Findswoman ...if that was a question for me, tho you seem to have already gotten an answer: go for it. :)

Mira_Jade , Findswoman and Kit' like this.
  21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    D’oh! My mistake, Daena, I had my challenges mixed up there. Yes, you were indeed the person I should have tagged—very sorry about that! [face_blush]

22. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Can I have #31

DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
  24. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Yes. You can totally have #31. :) (All quotes sent so far.)

Findswoman likes this.