main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Down and out on Coruscant and Corellia [SW Pentathlon]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira Grau, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Kahara likes this.
  2. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    1. Another Funeral
    1500 Word Dash: A 1500 word story about your character, family, friendship or couple with any theme.

"Her name was Mya, from what I could gather she came from Corellia herself. I didn't know her, no one I asked knew much about her. We don't know what she did before all of this. Maybe she was still a student, maybe she had started a job in education recently, maybe she was still unsure of her future. From what I heard she had a great singing voice and was able to wipe away the dark thoughts from more than one mind in the last weeks, maybe she could have become a great singer.... What happened to her, being stabbed to death in a shady corner for the handful of credits she had on her person, she did not deserve that, no one does. And yet, it happened, this war has caused yet another victim, another young life snuffed out before her time. Today as we say farewell to Mya we must remind ourselves to continue, to ensure things like this won't happen again. That people can be safe again, I promise that to you, to all of you."

Alec closed his monologue and shoveled the first bits of wet earth on the plain, simple urn. There weren't many people at this funeral, and most of them had never seen the girl, but just like him they had cone so Mya wouldn't be buried alone, un mourned. It had become something of a tradition to them. A sad ritual that they had grown used to over the years.

For a brief moment he thought back to the first funeral he had overseen here many years ago, not too long after he had taken the mantle of Governor. Gus Talon had always been different from the rest of the Corellia system. The small moon housing only a small population had been a place for intellectuals and diplomats, a place where words and not blasters and starships rulefd the day to day life. A place where a somewhat successful author might find himself nominated in an election.

Gus Talon was a quiet place, with a low crime rate and not many excitement, and the title of Governor almost completely symbolic. He had been in his mid forties, his books had won him both fame and controversy, and both excited but not really believing that he had a chance. Though where many of his old comrades of the Rebellion called him a traitor for honestly pointing out the flaws of both the rebellion and the New Republic, the intellectuals and pacifists on Gus Talon seemed to be of other opinion and so he had won the election.

Just a few months before the Vong War had turned the galaxy upside down and his new post into something far more important. The moon itself had been spared the horrors of war, but filled with refugees who needed shelter, food, clothing and a thousand other things. It had been the hardest years of his life, forced to deal with more than ten times as many people as the small moon was meant to house.

And it had been during this time that he had started to organize and oversee funerals of the people who died but had no one left to do it for them. He had talked at their graves so someone would, so someone was there to say goodbye. And at each funeral he had hoped it was the last he had to take care of. A wish seemingly fulfilled when the Vong War ended and slowly but surely most of the refugees returned to whatever remained of their old homes. Others stayed having found a new home on the small moon and with the governor who had done so much for them. And so he had stayed in his position, now a quiet one again for many years after.

But now the dark times had returned and with them the funerals.

Once the conflict around Corellia escalated more and more Alec had in agreement with the local council declared their world neutral in the conflict. Having a distaste for both the GA as well as the Confederacy Alec had so far managed to keep his people neutral and save but the war still threatened them. Refugees had come to this isle of peace within the storm but with them cane agents and provocateurs of both sides who caused chaos among the people. Last week he himself had almost fallen victim to an assassination attempt and the violence grew everywhere.

"Where is this galaxy going?" he muttered more to himself than to anyone else as the rain continued to wet his robe. He had once admired Jacen Solo seen him as a man who understood that peace and knowledge where the way forward, but now it seemed Jacen had fully abandoned his old ideals. Not that the Jedi where much better, now fighting alongside ignorant nationalists and ambitious warlords. As he thought of the Jedi Alec briefly thought of his wife, Lena shared many of his distastes but had insisted on staying true to her commitment with the order. Currently she was on a dangerous and secret mission and only occasionally send him a message.

But the most worry he felt about his son.

Titus had been on Kashyyyk, with his master the last time he heard of him, but since the bombardment no messages had made it through. His heart told him his loved ones where okay and Alec had learned to trust his feelings but he yearned for nothing more than a sign of the people meaning most to him. A part of him wished to go out there and search for them, but what could he do? He was an older man now but in his long life he had never been a fighter and his strong distaste for weapons had only grown over the years.

When he finally returned to the governor's residence his cloak was utterly soaked and he felt even more miserable than he had during the funeral, having seen little but suffering on his way home. He had stopped a couple of times to speak to the people, both locals and refugees along the way, most of them missed their loved ones as well, whether they had died, been lost or left to join one side or the other. He was glad that on Gus Talon most people had stayed feeling that his policies of education and pacifism had at least some impact on the people.

"I just wish the rest of the galaxy would learn that same lesson," he said quietly.

"Why would they?" A sharp voice behind him said, Alec didn´t turn, he knew the opinions of his bodyguard. Varen Tacer followed him like a shadow for many years now, since the chaotic days of the Vong War, when Alec had taken in him and his group of Kage refugees, later he had even helped organize some barely needed medicine for them and since that day Varen had claimed a life debt to the governor. The huge Kage Warrior was certainly intimidating when needed and an excellent protector but generally kept to himself, silently observing instead of taking action. When he spoke his cynical world view often clashed with Alec´s more idealistic ideals but the bond between them was still unbreakable.

"If people would realize that wars cause nothing but suffering, governments would have no one left to fight for them."

"Which is why we need to educate them," Alec replied, they had this discussion so many times now. "The suffering in the galaxy is caused by ignorance, because people are afraid of the unknown and easily see their opponent as nothing but enemies to destroy. Violence is the easy way, understanding and making peace the hard one."

Varen said nothing to this, but Alec knew the Kage had his own opinion on the matter. Entering the residence Alec let his soaked cloak fall to the floor for a second before picking it up and placing it above the heather so it could dry before beginning to take of the rest of his clothes. An aide approached them, a young woman around the same age Mya had been.

"Governor, we´ve got a message, first I thought it was spam but there is something off about it." She handed him a data pad. On the first glance it truly seemed like nothing special, just an advertisement for dried Bantha meat but Alec immediately recognized the code. His hearth began to race as he typed a quick command that unlocked the hidden message. Titus and I are safe, escaped the bombardment, currently still on Kashyyyk, he has been very brave but misses his dad, stay save. Corrin. Alec let out a sigh of relief and nearly collapsed against the nearby wall after he had read the message of his sons master for a second time.

"Titus is save," he said and for the first time since the war started a smile appeared on Varen´s face.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Kahara likes this.
  3. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Ooh, a new-to-me OC! :D Really liking what we've seen of Alec so far. It's really fun to see "mundane" characters (though I would say that what he's done with his life isn't so mundane at all). His sense of duty and caring for others really shines through. I also liked Varen, who seems like he has his own take on what the galaxy can be -- but maybe wishes that it could all turn out for the best as Alec hopes.

Interesting that Alec once saw Jacen as a possible force for good, and now has to worry that his family may be in danger because of him with the attack on Kashyyyk. That must have been really shocking, and one can tell that Alec is a tough cookie from the way that he keeps on going and remains his compassionate self. What a relief that at least his son is alright for the time being!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett and Anedon like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb reflections of a truly other-centered politician :p in Alec Fenton, who wants to do the greatest good for as many as possible and also worries for his family, understandably. He has seen the ups and downs of war followed by peace that didn't last [face_thinking]

Kahara and Anedon like this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    a great start with an interesting OC and his family

6. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Terrific start! Looking forward to getting to know this OC. =D=

7. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Its his first appereamce in fanfic, tough his younger self shows up occasionally in the Black Sheep RPG. Yeah Alec started out pretty mundane, and still is when compared to the main characters I guess, glade you like him.
    Varen is defenetly a lor more cynical but also realistical than Alec. He admires Alec for his idealistic dream but knows its probably just that, a dream.

Alec defenetly used to admire Jacen. Being pretty disillusioned with the rebellion and new republic he hoped Jacen and his generation could do better, especially after Jacen played a key role in makeing peace with the Vong when many other wanted revenge.

Seeing him fall was a disapointment for Alec but that doesn't shake his believes.

Yeah, Alec grew up during the empire and has seen many wars in his life. He tries to do what he can to help but knows there is only so little he can do.

Glad you liked it. :)

Thanks, hope to show a bit more of him in this challenge.

Kahara likes this.
  8. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    2. The Perfect Honeymoon
    Single Sentence Short Put

"This is your idea of a perfect honeymoon," Lena asked him with both disbelief and excitement, "a trip down to the lower level of Coruscant, deeper and deeper until we reach the actual surface, why didn't I think of that?"

9. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Love the bit of sarcasm from Lena. :) Well done.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] Not exactly my first choice for a honeymoon either :p

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  12. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks, @JediMaster_Jen, @earlybird-obi-wan, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Joke is, it isn't really sarcasm, Lena is at her heart similar to Alec and has no real intrest in a normal vaccation, so after the first suprise she is delighted at the chance to explore the debths of galactic city. ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  13. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    3. Coruscant, Level 283
    110 Word Hurdle: 110 words in which the name or names of your character, couple, family or friendship aren’t mentioned.

"Why? Why are you doing this?"

"Well, somebody has to I feel."

"Why that, what´s going on here didn´t seem to bother anyone up there before."

"What my husband is trying to say is that someone needs to tell them about the conditions down here, to ensure the galaxy no longer just ignores your existence."

"And your husband can be the one doing that?"

"Well he has written a book before in which he called out those in power and told some uncomfortable truth´s to the entire galaxy."

"And how did that go? How did the galaxy react?"

"They canceled my military pension and called me a traitor amongst others."

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Intriguing discussion which could take place anywhere, :p =D=

Anedon likes this.
  15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great discussion

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha and Anedon like this.
  16. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @earlybird-obi-wan

4. The Price of Truth
    400 Word Cross Country: 400 words about your character, couple, family, or friendship with any theme.

"Do you know what you have done?" The Princess's voice was filled with anger.

"I published a book, talked about my experiences in the Rebellion, like hundreds of other Veterans did as well." Alec had never really interacted with Leia Organa before only seen her briefly at a few ceremonies and so it had been clear to him why she had called him into her office.

"You desecrated the Rebellion, with your claims of torture and war crimes."

Now it was Alec who felt anger rising inside of him. "Everything I said in this book is true, and you know that." He had always known that 'Homage to the Black Sheep' would be a controversial book, for while pretty much all other memoirs published about the war portrayed the rebellion in the most flattering light possible, he talked about the uncomfortable things: Massacres committed against unarmed Imperials at a wedding, torture. Of rejects and outsiders in the Rebellion being pushed into a suicide squadron, of corruption and cruelty in the officer ranks. He exposed a darker side to the Rebellion, a side their Commanders would prefer nobody knew about.

Organa took a deep breath to clam herself down before she continued. "I understand where you are coming from, but do you realize what you have caused? There is quite an uproar in the galactic community, the remnant is celebrating this book. They will use it as propaganda against us."

"But aren't you trying to be better than them? If you just sweep all of these things under the rug, if you lie to the people, what makes you better than the Old Republic or even the Empire?"

Again Leia took a deep breath, "Maybe you are right, but that doesn't change the fact that you have brought us all into trouble and caused serious damage. For that we have to punish you."

Alec began to shiver, would he be imprisoned for this? Locked away for saying the truth?

"Some of the higher ups want to imprison you for sedition, but if we do that we would only prove your point and add more fuel to the fire. So instead, you lose your status as a Veteran of the Rebellion, your pensions are cancelled and you are no longer welcome on any meetings or ceremonies related to it."

"I understand," Alec said quietly, while asking himself what exactly was the 'New' about this Republic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For those intrested the events Alec mentions take place in the Black Sheep RPG

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow. =D= This is the Rebellion's darker side and very thought-provoking. Of course no governmental system is going to be faultless, but you would hate to think it was just as bad or worse than the one it is supposedly replacing. [face_thinking]

Anedon likes this.
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    a great piece. No government is without fault

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  19. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @earlybird-obi-wan I defenetly think the rebellion/new republic wouldn´t be a flawless goverment either. But they are better than the empire, the reason Alec is calling them out is to ensure they stay that way.

5. Election Day
    Prime Time Coverage: 500+ words of action, adventure, or excitement with your chosen character, couple, family or friendship as the star.

"This is more exciting than I thought it would be," Alec said and once again had to restrain himself from chewing on his nails.

This whole thing had started as little more than a joke, in fact when he had first heard some people on Gus Talon had nominated him for the position of Governor he had believed it truly was just that, a joke. Even when he had realized they were serious he had decided to humor them and enter the race, thinking if nothing else experiencing this part of galactic politics would at least give him enough material for another book.

But then during the electoral campaign he had been surprised how well his program resonated with the people, both the speeches he had given to the crowds as well as the political debates he had with the intellectuals of this world.

But still he had never seriously pondered the thought he had a real chance to be elected into officer over someone born on the moon. He was a Corellian and thus eligible but could he win over experience politician's born up here?

But this was it, election day.

The walls of his headquarter where plastered with holographic posters of himself, smiling for the cameras above the slogan:

"To the past, or to the future. To an age when thought is free."

It was another provocation, of course. Probably just another guarantee that he could never succeed here.

And yet, as the first polls came up and the numbers of votes in his favor had begun to rise, faster than those of the other candidates Alec had become nervous.

Was this truly happening? Could it truly be that he had a real chance here?

Lena placed her hand on his shoulder and he closed his eyes for a moment, slowly breathing in and out to at least somewhat calm himself down. He heard the chatter of the people around him, his team the people who had become almost like a family to him in the last few months.

They are believing it, they all believe this is possible. Maybe I'm the only one who does not.

His heart began to race, his mind torn between looking at the polls and looking everywhere but them. How long until they would have a solid result? How long until this nightmare was over?

He felt how Lena's mind reached out to his, how she used the Force to give her husband a bit of her own calmness. Alec felt how his pulse became slower again and he was able to concentrate once more.

"It is okay, you can do this." Lena whispered into his ear. He nodded slowly, more to himself than to his wife.

"I... I know." Gus Talon was just a small moon, with a low crime rate, the position of Governor was more a ceremonial one than anything else. So now even I believe this is going to happen?

This morning he had still joked about it, been more interested in what Lena had told him about the strange warlike alien's the Jedi had encountered at the edge of the galaxy, about what was currently going on at Serpindal. It seemed so much more important to them than this election he was surely going to lose anyway. But now....

"And with that we have a clear result," the moderator on the holo screen said. "With 67 percent of votes in his favor, Alec Fenton is the new Governor of Gus Talon."

The entire room exploded in cheering while Alec felt as if his hearth had just stopped beating. He felt how the cameras turned towards him and new that in a few seconds his face would be all over the news.

So he stood up, still shaking, before taking a deep breath and preparing himself for his victory speech, while asking himself how he could have ever been worried about something as trivial as unknown alien species.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super description of the complicated emotions surrounding an election. Lena and the others provide welcome moral support.

Anedon likes this.