main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by HappyBob, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Behold, the new Joss Whedon project: a new competitor in the crowded three-part online supervillain musical genre.

The first part has just gone live at http://www.drhorrible.com/.

For more information on the sordid operation, read this FAQ by Mister "So effortlessly talented I can infuse the funny into the most basic FAQ" Whedon himself.

2. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Best FAQ ever.

3. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I laughed, and seriously, when it's music(al) and Whedon, it works for me.
    Wha? Fillion can sing??

4. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Well it seems that Neil Patrick Harris can sing..and Nathan sorta can.

I was amused, and felt an overwhelming desire to watch the Buffy musical episode again. In fact I was hoping Xander would pop in in his pyjamas for a cameo song.

Silly. Good

5. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Incidentally, if not surprisingly, it turns out the Once More With Feeling soundtrack is one of history's greatest car sing-along albums. Or so a friend tells me.

I'm really enjoying this so far. As a fan of both musicals and the live action "Tick", it's hard not to.
    The songs aren't on the same level as Buffy's, but that was an epic year-long writing process and this is a casual self-funded side project. That said, Act II is a big step up in both music (I dig them layers) and comedy ("I meant Gandhi"). I can't wait to see how it ends.

The flirting conversations are tough to watch at times (and so they should be), but there's no greater foil for understated awkwardness than overstated musical fun. It's such a strange mix of styles, and that's exactly why it works.

6. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Act 3 is up!
    The whole episode is now online, but only for 48hours.

Have a look at it.

7. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    You guys really have some great discussion threads going on your forums. I loved it! I want a Dr Horrible fangirl t-shirt, but they are all sold out. Boo :(

8. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I loved Captain Hammer's first entrance. I admit to cackling gleefully and clapping. The music's pretty nifty and I look forward to the day that I can pop it on in my car. [face_whistling]

9. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    As fun as this was, the ending derailed it for me.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

10. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Have to agree with you there MD. Left me deflated and wishing for more of the same as the first two instalments. Was hoping we'd have more of his awkwardness with Penny and him trying to get into the league..because that's what made it a fun idea to me. So..not sure I'll be paying to see any more of it.

11. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I don't know if there will be any more of it, K - I kinda got the impression that the three parts were the entire package, rather than a pilot run for more. [face_thinking] I'll be getting the DVD though when we get it.

It was a sad ending - I didn't mind it so much, but it was a downer compared with the jovial nature the show started on.

12. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    What bugged me most is that it's not just a down ending, but a "Joss Whedon" down ending. After 7 seasons of Buffy, 5 seasons of Angel, and a season + movie of Firefly, I've seen too much of this schtick from him. Give me something new.

I wanted the villain to merrily skip off into the sunset with the girl, or at least the girl's phone number, which would have been more appropriate given this story.

For what it is; an entertainment venture made outside the system; it's well done and more projects like this need to be made.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

13. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    While the ending was a downer, and I hate it when Joss kills characters off, I wasn't too bothered by this, though it was sad.

Dr Horrible decided in act one that he would rather be in with the Evil League of Evil than be with the girl because he chose to steal the van instead of talk to her. He had been watching her for ages and finally got his chance. He had to choose and he chose to be evil. He missed his opportunity and Captain Hammer took advantage of that.

He made his choice and by accident, he got what he wanted... and that was sad. That's why I found it sad, but I enjoyed the story, loved the humour, and loved the songs a lot. Still have some of them stuck in my head ;)

I think it was a good stand alone story and they shouldn't make any more. Some things shouldn't be expanded on.

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I've had the first song from Act II stuck in my head all day...

15. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I know what you mean. The moment she was introduced as the love interest, I thought "yeah, she's going to die."

16. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    It's hard to take a massive tonal shift like that, but for me, the last second made up for the last few minutes. It's a good way to bring things full circle, and say "yes, this was the plan from the start".

All in all, I enjoyed it. It wasn't mind-blowingly brilliant, but it was good fun, and I'll be doing my part to support the project on principle. Especially if they follow through with plans for Commentary! ? The Musical on the DVD.

(Yes.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.