main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Dr. Who/Torchwood] The 21st Century changes it all, but the TARDIS can bring us back to fix it!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by mavjade , Jul 27, 2008.

1. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    The Sarah Jane Adventures was canceled in the US after season one. Based on what I saw on the web, the series was still going on last year. Does anyone know how the death of Elisabeth Sladen affected the show, or did it end on it's own before her tragic passing? I can't imagine the show continuing without the title character.

I hope they have a dedication for her at the very end of tomorrows U.S. premiere of Dr. Who or the upcoming Torchwood series.

2. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    No, they'd filmed half of the episodes for the fifth season (set to air this fall) before she passed. The first three are on DVD; the fourth, which included appearances by Matt Smith and Katy Manning, isn't yet.

3. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Yea, I saw on SyFy that there was a 4 part series with Matt Smith entitled, "Death of the Doctor".

I am so glad that they sent out a tribute at the end of tonight's episode of Doctor Who.

4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Okay, it's official: The Silence really are THE CREEPIEST THING EVER. [face_worried]

The Impossible Astronaut was absolutely FANTASTIC. The cinematography was gorgeous (the stunning locations helped, too). And I agree with whoever said it first, that it felt a lot more like a first part of a finale, than an opening episode. Loved the pre-credits montage of Doctor's quirky adventures (totally want that painting [face_love]). Loved the humour ("The Legs, the Nose, and Mrs. Robinson." [face_laugh]). Loved Mark Sheppard's character ( [face_love]). Loved Rory - he seems to become cooler and awesomer by each episode he's in. Loved River and her banter with the Doctor (and her line about the day when the Doctor wouldn't know her at all and it would kill her made me tear up... :(). And the cliffhanger was tense! I can't wait for the next Saturday!

5. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Mwahahahaha!

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I loved 'Impossible Astronaut', too. Although the Silence... just wasn't too scary to me. *Shrug* Good look, loved the fact that you forget about them after turning your head, but that rattling... not the best sound effect IMHO. *Shrug* Mileage varies, I guess.

I miss Lis. :(

7. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    When you watch "Day of the Moon" this weekend, be sure you're home alone and have turned the lights off. That will help. [face_devil]

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Gee, I'm so scared. :p

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I watched TIA on my laptop and huddled under my duvet and I was STILL scared! [face_worried]

Because the Silence are obviously this:
    [image=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/Tauriel/origin_of_silence.jpg]

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    *Adjusts RL glasses*

Stupid question... what's the second image of? [face_blush]

So, Nicholas Courtney and Lis Sladen passing on so quickly one after the other. :( I would've loved to have seen the Brig meet Ten and Eleven and see Amy and Rory meet Sarah Jane. What might've been...

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    The first is the "Scream" painting by Edvard Munch and the second is a Dementor from the HP films.

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Yeah, I knew what the first one was. ;) it was the second that gave me trouble. Thanks, though. :) Haven't seen the LA Harry Potter movies beyond 'Chamber of Secrets', and even then not much of it.

Luna becomes a Companion... GO! :p [face_laugh]

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    You know what the Silence reminds me of?

[image=http://content8.flixster.com/question/38/83/23/3883234_std.jpg]

The Gentlemen from Buffy (from "Hush" in season 4 - the only episode to be nominated for an Emmy). It has something to do with the way their faces are shaped, how quiet they are and the suits. What is it with creepy monsters and suits? Do they all have an affinity for black tie events? :confused:

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    OMG this episode.

My head. It asploded.

Although I liked how Nixon seemed to have a musical theme whenever he appeared (a fanfare, no less!), and the Frost line just killed me. :p

But that ending. THAT ENDING!!!

15. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I watching the series all out of order. I just watched 'The Eleventh Hour', the 5th series opener. I love Matt Smith, my favorite Doctor for sure.

However, I have a problem with Amelia's back story. Am I to belive that she lived alone in that house from 10 years to adulthood? Her parents and her aunt died. It just seemed too weird.

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    The cracks are swallowing up events, but there's no 'neat' patching going on. It's leaving jagged holes in reality. Her parents were swallowed up by it. She does mention living with an aunt in 'Eleventh hour', though. DId you miss that bit in the beginning?

My favorite Doctor's Tom Baker, the Fourth.

17. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hey Striker. I thought she told the Doctor that her aunt died.

18. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I thought that eventually her aunt died - swallowed by the cracks, but not right away. [face_thinking] After all, someone had to send Amy to the four psychologists. :p Unless that was just me filling in my personal canon . . . again.

And I just finished watching Day of the Moon. Oh my goodness, but Moffat has taken my head and turned it into a pretzel. A timey-whimey, wibbly-wobbly pretzel. [face_hypnotized]

~MJ @};-

19. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Yea, these first two episodes have been a real mind bender, even more so than last series.

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    She mentioned her aunt when she was praying to Santa in the beginning of 'Eleventh Hour, IIRC.

Brodiew, I have a minor suggestion for an old-series Companion to get into.

Dorothy 'Ace' McShane. Why? Four little words...

Who you calling SMALL?!

21. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm really getting excited for the new season of Torchwood! Since I have Starz at the moment they had this sneak peak last night, and it looks so good! It will defintiely make the wait for Doctor Who to return a little easier. :D

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    The Miracle Day trailer, right? I've never been too keen on Torchwood, to be honest.

So... did anyone watch the clip I posted about Ace?

23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Me too! Every time the teaser or trailer comes on I practically start bouncing in my seat! I didn't see the sneak peak though, I'll have to find it on line!

24. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    The sneak peek is really intriguing, and it gives some hints about the plot. I'm so excited, apparently I miss Torchwood more than I thought I did!

Edit: Here is the video!

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm, no list of posted Who fics. Is there enough for an index?