main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Dracula's Curse: Castlevania & Castlevania: Nocturne [Netflix]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Feb 12, 2017.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    (alternate title: "When a Vampire Comes Along, You Must Whip It.")

[​IMG]

So, after a (thankfully abandoned) attempt by Paul Anderson to make a Castlevania movie about 12 years ago, and then James Wan 4 years later, the property has come around again for another adaptation attempt, this time by Dredd/The Grey producer Adi Shankar (who also produced the various "bootleg universe" fan films like Dirty Laundry and Power/Rangers) and Adventure Time producer Fred Seibert. The entire series is written by Warren Ellis.

Believed to be a violent animated series aimed at adults 9comparisons have been made to Akira and HBO's Spawn), it will be an adaptation of Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse from the NES (a prequel to the original two games). The show will have two seasons of 4 half-hour episodes. The first season hits Netflix in 2017, the second in 2018. Musically, it is expected to feature the "heavy metal electro guitar vibe" of the early games (smart move, given how classic some of those themes are. One has to assume there's zero chance of "Bloody Tears" not appearing in some form or another).

For those unfamiliar with the game's storyline premise, it centers around the centuries-long conflict between the Belmont Clan and Dracula. Trevor Belmont (ancestor to the protagonist of the first two games, Simon Belmont) is called upon by the Church (despite the Belmonts having been exiled) to help stop Dracula and his army of monsters from conquering Europe.

He is able to summon/transform into (depending on how one interprets the game mechanic and differing translation material) three allies to help him: Sypha Belnades (an elemental witch protected by the Church), Grant Danasty (a thief) and Alucard (the half-vampire son of Dracula).

And because no Castlevania discussion is complete without linking to some of the (approximately) twenty katrillion metal (or electronica) remixes of tracks from this series:

Juke Skywalker and Darth Caliban like this.
  2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    This is going to be awesome.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
  4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I was a big fan of the Castlevania games back in my NES heyday, and I've always held out hope for an adaptation. I agree we dodged a stake to the heart w/that proposed Paul Anderson adaptation. His would likely have been even worse than Van Helsing, and that's bad indeed.

Some talented names attached here, like that it's going to be a series, and I'm intrigued by it being animated.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Van Helsing comparison is amusing, given that the name Belmont has about as much association with "killing Dracula" at this point.

6. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_laugh] That's true.

7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Super Castlevania IV was my childhood :)

Siphonophore and The2ndQuest like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Mode 7 rotating tunnel rooms of that game are still disorienting to this day. It makes otherwise traditional platforming so much more challenging.

(jump to 3:11)

9. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Rumor has it that Russell Brand is in negotiations to play Simon.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That was one of the best ideas that came out of that game. It's too bad that the other 2D games didn't try to copy.

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004

That video gave me two thoughts; 1.) Gosh I miss platform games, 2.) The SNES had beautiful graphics.

Siphonophore and The2ndQuest like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, even when you strip away the retro nostalgia, there's something about the SNES color palette (and, I'd add, it's audio style) that produces something truly wonderful.

Juke Skywalker and Siphonophore like this.
  13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Wasn't there some really crazy Dracula show with Henry Cavil last year?

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not that I recall or can find on a google/IMDb search.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I love forward to a miserable little pile of episodes.

BUT ENOUGH TALK! HAVE AT YOU.

16. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004

For sure. I'm as guilty of sprinkling nostalgia dust on things as anyone, but w/the SNES it's not necessary. It really took the gaming style that the NES had popularized and perfected it. Beautiful graphics, sound and a fluid playing style make it the peak of a format that was in its last throes w/the PS1, Sega Saturn and its own successor the N64 on the horizon.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Duh it's written by Warren Ellis.

He said a little bit about it in his newsletter: "The official Netflix press release [...] is incomplete, but that's all there is for now, and I've been asked not to say more. So I can't say more about structure, tone, or the amazing voice cast we somehow managed to gather."

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Hmmm ... I stopped playing Castlevania at 8-bit (Simon's Quest, baby), but have to admit some interest and intrigue here ...

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Dracula' Curse was also 8-bit, though admittedly I've actually never played it myself either (it really was all about Simon's Quest back in the day, wasn't it?), even though the introduction of Alucard was obviously notable.

C3DC has also been notable over the years for the difficulty in emulating it properly due to a unique sound chip in the cart. This is one reason why the original game cart isn't compatible with (or doesn't play back properly on) a lot of modern third party NES retro consoles.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Having a larger color palette does tend to make a world of difference.

[​IMG]

Compare it to the Sega Genesis with it's 64 color palette and "Castlevania: Bloodlines".

[​IMG]

The only good part in the latter is the reflection.

You two disgust me. :p

And a good reason I've kept my NES. You should definitely play the game. You won't be disappointed.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's on my eventual to-do list (I'm planning a full NES library play through eventually). But I have played I, II & IV and am still slowly playing through the GBA Castlevania double-pack (with Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance) on and off again over the past 11 years (still on Aria), with a still-unopened copy of the DS Portrait of Ruin waiting in the wings.

darth-sinister likes this.
  22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm really fond of Castlevania. I love the first and third games, I like Super Castlevania IV a lot (those controls are just perfect), and I had a lot of fun with Symphony of Darkness. But beating the first a few years back in my freshmen year of college was one of my proudest gaming achievements. I'd been stuck on the final boss for days, just dying over and over again. I finally beat it a bit past 2 in the morning. I woke up my roommate. It was worth it. **** Simon's Quest, though. It can burn in a fire along with Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Anyways, I hope this show is good. Probably stands a better chance than if they made a movie.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey now, don't be dragging Zelda II into this. Z2 was hella hard and perhaps near-impossible without a Game Genie but it was still a great game. :)

My only problem with Simon's Quest was the odd plot objective. Dracula was dead but you had to find his scattered body parts so he'd come back to life... so that you could kill him again? That always threw me off.

24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The "day to night/night to day" transition also drove me into a foaming frenzy. I'll take the well-designed linearity of the first and third games any day.

And Zelda II is my least favorite game of all time. Of all time. I mean, I beat it, but I didn't like it. I also took no damage during the final boss. Just crouched in the corner and jabbed 'im with my tiny little sword until he died. It was surprisingly unsatisfactory. Now A Link to the Past? There's a good game.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, don't get me wrong, ALTTP is still the high watermark of the franchise. But Z2AOL did a lot for the series and greatly expanded its mythology and game language and set the tone for how that world was perceived.

I'm a little biased, right now, though, because I was doing research on Z2 for a storybook/game guide project I was illustrating as a holiday gift to go with a Z2 download for some kids (to match one I made for Z1 for them last year), so I have a renewed appreciation for the game.

But, even back in the day, there was something compelling and fun about playing Z2 even though you knew you'd never beat it.

PymParticles and Rew like this.