main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dragonball-the movie

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Fel_Freak228, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fel_Freak228

Fel_Freak228 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2007
    I found info on this movie and was surprised that there wasn't a thread for it already, so here you go.

Dragonball the movie has been in production for years, and information on it was kept under lock and key until recently. The movie will star Justin Chatwin as Goku, Emmy Rossum as Bulma, Chow Yun-Fat as Master Roshi, and James Marsters as Piccolo. It will hit theaters April 8th '09 in North America, and March 13th '09 in Japan

I've never watched Dragonball before, so I'm kind of in the dark about all this. But the trailer is awesome and I'm definitely going to see it.:D

Link to trailer. (scroll down a bit to find it.)

2. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    my 18year old son just had a cow.

3. Fel_Freak228

Nov 23, 2007
    LOL I'm sorry.:p

But seriously, to those of you who have seen the TV show, is this completely different? If so, in a bad way or a good way? Would you go see it even if it's nothing like the original?

4. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    I saw the trailer and Im kinda sceptical about it. I love Dragonball Z and I just hope that this is a good movie. When Goku was doing the "Kame-Ame-Ah" in the trailer I thought he should of been louder. And where the hell is his tail?

Good Stuff

5. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    [face_sick]

I'm surprised a couple of you actually think this might be decent. They completely ruined the characters and that Kamehameha wave looks weak to me and why is it one handed? This looks so cheesy it's not even funny.

I knew this would be a flop....

6. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    The other problem is there's no creative license, everything Dragonball / Z / GT is jst rehashed time and again, how about some new stories? If someone else is behind it, the driving force, it might be different to 'fight bad guys - get beat - get to next ssj level - whoop bad guy - save world'

7. Fel_Freak228

Nov 23, 2007
    He normally has a tail?:confused: Why?

I don't blame you guys for being upset\sceptical about this, I mean I'm pretty sure I know how you feel. My favorite show is being made into a live action soon too (The Last Airbender) and I'm sure they'll ruin it. But if Dragonball does well, I might have some more hope.

8. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I just watched the trailer. Not being a fan I had no idea who any of these characters are. But if I was a fan would I really be excited for what looks like a shoddy product. The "cgi" looks worse than what you get in a Saturday night SCI/FI Channel movie. If your a fan I say enjoy but my money will be spent elsewhere.

9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    This is going to be worse than Hong Kong's Dragon Ball The Magic Begins, but with a higher budget.

Crap storm and another bad decision for Chow Yun-Fat in Hollywood.

10. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I can hardly wait. :p

11. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    I hardly think it fair to even call it "Dragonball". If anything, it should be called "Dragonball Z", as it takes place within that time period, or somewhere between "Z" and "GT". In any case, Peter Mayhew's voice work for the 1997 cartoon is probably better than this movie. That being said, I'm ready to eat those words any day. I'd love for the film to be good, I just don't see it happening.

12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Most Dragonball fans don't seem to be too enthused about this.

Neither are Street Fighter fans enthused about Kristen Kruek's turn as Chun Li in SF: The Story of Chun Li.

13. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I have only seen one trailer, so I'm not the most informed about this but I thought that the movie was like, up until the beginning of DBZ.

I was under the impression that Piccolo was the villain in this?

14. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005

Piccolo is the villian and it is a Dragonball movie. You are correct.

15. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    It's a decent kids movie, but an awful adaptation of Dragonball.

16. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    I just saw the film today and I thought it was REALLY cool.

I have never watched Dragonball Z before, but when I saw the poster at the theatre with real-life characters I was intrigued. SO I looked up some videos and pics and it looked really cool so I went to see it with my sis.

It's really awesome! Don't judge the CGI till you hav SEEN THE FILM! CGI was fantastic and I'm pretty picky too. It was kind of cheesy but my sis informs me that the manga is like this too. Besides which I'm sure it seems corny because we don't fully understand philosophies behind martial arts. I really liked it, except the story seemed a little rushed.

*aside* my liking the film has nothing to do with the fact that Goku was completely hot :p I have officially just alienated myself from all Dragonball fans :p

17. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I've seen it mostly to piss off the die-hard fans dead set against it. MWAHAHAHA!!!

It's a retelling of Dragonball with a Goku that's 18 set in modern day world. Piccolo's the bad guy. And it followed the adventuring and finding all seven dragonballs motivation of the dragonball series rather than the Oh crap this bad guy's even stronger than the last one motivation of Dragonball Z.

Don't get me wrong I loved Dragonball Z but it became a slave to a static and tired formula by the Majin Buu saga.

The stuff that connected with series made me laugh like when Bulma tells Roshi that he was a dirty old man. I'm the only one in the theater that got that reference.

I thought during the big fight at the end the coulda really juiced it up with collateral damage to show their strength and power and blurring them to show their speed you know the stuff that really strikes you when you watch one of the fights in DBZ. I mean just powering it up causes earthquakes and tidal waves for these guys.

Overall it was okay, but just okay.

18. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    I was just talking to my sisters bf who is a fan, and he was saying that there are alot of inconsistences and plot wholes in the Dragonball series. Which is prob why the focus changed from one series to the next. You can't blame the author for forgetting a few things after writing it for 20 years.

19. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Don't get me wrong I loved Dragonball Z but it became a slave to a static and tired formula by the Majin Buu saga.

Oh Lord.... I love DBZ, but the Buu saga was just awful.

I'm still undecided about the movie. Or, that is, I will see it, I'm just unsure if it's worth my money to see it in theaters or not. I think I'll probably go with the DVD release... I tend to rant loudly when I watch movie versions of shows/books/fond childhood memories that have been twisted into something unrecognizable, so it's best for me to be home in cast that happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.