main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Amph DragonCrown War Cycle and other works by Michael Stackpole

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Rogue...Jedi, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Started reading his other stories because I enjoyed his SW books, and have thoroughly enjoyed most of his novels.

The DragonCrown books are my favorites, but Talion: Revenant is up there as well, and I wish he'd do another Talion book. The style of that one was certainly quite unique and interesting. Once a Hero is also pretty good, as is A Hero Born (though the sequel Enemy Reborn isn't up to his usual level). His more recent trilogy, Age of Discovery, was good though not quite as good as the others, IMO.

Anyone else familiar with his non-SW works?

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    No :( What are they about?

3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Pretty much all fantasy, and set in different worlds. No more than 4 books in any particular world (that would be the DragonCrown books, which consist of a trilogy and a prequel to said trilogy). Definitely worth reading, though, especially the DragonCrown books. There are a bunch of characters in that series that I really like, plus dragon fights are always cool :)

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    What's the first title and should the prequel go first?

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    The prequel is Dark Glory War; then the trilogy consists of Fortress Draconis, When Dragons Rage, and The Grand Crusade. I've actually debated with myself over whether the prequel should come first or not in an initial reading, and its somewhat of a tossup, though I think I'd lean towards having it first. There's a major plot element it affects, but it is kinda interesting not having that background information... (I read the prequel last, though not by design)

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Was it published before or after the trilogy?

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Uh... before (though I had to look that up :p) So yeah, read it first, I suppose

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Will do :)

9. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I read The Dark Glory War first, and really enjoyed this book, and the DCW cycle.

I liked Stackpole's take on some of the common fantasy characters and creatures, like what he did with Elves.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    It definitely was an interesting take on Elves - the way he portrayed Vorquelves in particular, but the relationships between the Vorks and Croquelves/Harquelves/etc was a really neat part of the story.

Also, the end of When Dragons Rage annoyed me - I read it before Grand Crusade was out, and having to wait drove me crazy.

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I really enjoyed these books. Def. worth getting into I say.

12. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I also think it was really interesting what Stackpole did with technology....

You don't see many cannons (dragonnels) and guns in fantasy stories like these.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    No, but he used them quite well, while keeping the fantasy feel. I also like how Moddesitt works such weapons (and higher tech, even) in the Recluce books.

EDIT: grammar [face_blush]

14. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I agree.

I wonder if he will ever revisit this series. I hope he does, since there were a few things that left open the possibility of the series continuing.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    If he wrote more, I'd read them... but I rather doubt he will. Though admittedly I have no idea what he's currently working on, or what's after that.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Rereading this series now (on Fortress Draconis currently and should finish it soon - maybe tonight, probably tomorrow), and thinking about what I said earlier. The prequel was written first, but honestly, I think it actually works better to read the trilogy and then the prequel, at least for first time readers. Kinda like how I'd start any person who has never seen SW before on the original trilogy and then the prequels. There's a major plot point revealed at the end of Fortress Draconis that is super-blatantly-obvious if you've already read the prequel, but a fantastic ":eek:" moment if you haven't, and I like it better getting to that point without knowing already. To continue my above analogy, its like watching the SW PT then watching the OT and hearing "No... I am your father" and going "well duh, who didn't see that coming?"

Its actually a very similar thing, though, with the revelation of a character's identity.

17. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I'm about halfway through the prequel right now [hl=black]about where they set off across the sea[/hl], and it's pretty good. However, all the negative things that people have said about Corran seem to have been magnified tenfold in Tarrant. The back cover made it seem like Rounce was going to be a main character, but right now I don't see him coming back to break up the "manly warrior dudes of coolness" party. Fave character is definitely Naysmith, he doesn't have any of that aristocratic arrogance.

18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I really liked Stackpole's take on elves in those books.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    There's a lot of different "unique" elves out there, but I don't think Stackpole's are really all that different. On the other hand, Vorquelves are very different than normal elves, but that holds true both inside and outside of this series.

I like Hawkins' character a lot... but then, I'm also a big Corran fan, so maybe I'm just good at ignoring those things :p And Hawkins really doesn't have that aristocratic arrogance either. Leigh, on the other hand... [face_laugh]

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I had forgotten that Resoulte and others where labeled Vorquelves. Thanks for that.

Im kinda fuzzy about it but what I thought was so great on his take of elves was that it was neat how alot of them are considered kids even though they are old. Shiney eyes, I forget the what other features other then alot of them haven't hit puberty, lol.

21. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Yeah, they are considered children until they go through a ritual that binds them to a land...if I am not mistaken.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, they have to go through a ceremony to bind them to their homeland. So with Vorquellyn having fallen you get 100 year old "children" like Resolute :p

23. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    One thing that I found was a bit of a letdown...

[hl=black]Was that there was very little interaction between Hawkins, and his daughter. I forget the elf's name, that he fell in love with, but that was such a big thing, that she got turned. I thought that relationship, between the three...would play a bigger role in the overall story....The characters were major parts....but the relationship...not so much.[/hl]

I am going off memory...so someone correct me if I missed something.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    No, you're right, and its one of the few things I was disappointed in.

[hl=black]I'm trying to remember if Crow even acknowledges her as his daughter by Seethe - we know she is, but I don't think he's there or is aware of it. I guess I'll know this again for sure soon, since I'm on Grand Crusade again :) It would have been nice for her to at least be mentioned in the end... but again, I don't think she is[/hl] [face_thinking]

25. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I'll have to reread these books because I don't really rememeber alot of them. It has been since 05

I tried finding a wiki on the cycle but nothing came up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.