main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN "Drive-In" Night at the SMT: The "Return of the Jedi" 20th Anniversay Picnic

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    DRIVE-IN" NIGHT AT THE SMT!!! THE "RETURN OF THE JEDI" 20th ANNIVERSARY PICNIC.

Date: Saturday, May 3rd
    Time: 4 o'clock PM
    Where: Our house (PM me for the address. Use Mapquest for directions. I'll get you nine-kinds-of lost.)

What to bring: Lawnchairs, blankets, games.

We'll be grilling up Hamburgers and HotDogs, (which we'll supply, as well as plates, silverware, and napkins.) If you don't like either of those, just bring whatever brand of dead animal you like and we'll throw it on the grill. (Possum, Racoon, and Nutria excluded.)

Items that will need to be brought:

Chips
    Drinks
    Buns
    Side Items
    Snacks

Can't wait to see y'all there!!

--------------------------------------------
    Pre-Edited Message as follows:

We'd like to plan an outdoor/movie meeting before it gets too hot - we're thinking about putting a large screen up in our backyard and projecting a movie with Rhonda's digital projector. We can have a cook-out before the movie and, hopefully, welcome some new members from the Con.

Saturday, April 19 or the weekend of May 3/4 are good for us. Any thoughts?

Steve/Sherri: Are there certain days/times that are definitely out for y'all since you have to drive so far? We're tenatively thinking late afternoon/early evening.

2. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Right now, Tim, since I lost an on-air personality...I'm stuck working every frickin' Saturday til 6pm. May 4th is the only time we could come down. Unless you guys wanted to wait til about 7:15 or 7:30 so we could drive down after I got off work? That might be kinda late for a meeting, though, I don't know.

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Steve: With the upcoming time change, we wouldn't even be able to start the movie until 8pm (or even 8:30). We have a couple possible dates: Sunday, April 27th and Saturday, May 3rd. I'd personally prefer to do it Saturday night because folks wouldn't have to worry about school or work the next day, but I do want to do all I can to make sure all of our regulars can attend, including Traci, who starts back on weekends on May 4th.

Whatever date we plan, things will start around 4 or 5pm, with the movie starting around 8 or 8:30. Because we'll be using a digital surround system, I'll negotiate with the rednecks...er, I mean, neighbors so the cops won't show up and bust us for disturbing the peace, either that, or we have to hold it at my grandparent's farm in Tipton County (Traci's roll-eyes here), where we'd be 30 acres from anyone else. (I'd prefer to have it here, but the farm is about 25 miles from the Memphis City Limits. If we do it there, I have to negotiate with my grandfather, which could prove as difficult as negotiating with the neighbors.)

Anyhow, everyone needs to start giving me some ideas on dates. I want to have this as soon as we can, in hopes of attracting those folks who met us at MSC that would like to join up.

4. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    Cool. Requests. I need 3 notice so that I can get off from work. That's all that I ask! :p I miss you guys!!!

5. TheDarknessX

TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2002
    CHRIS I hope we get to see you at the next meeting buddy!!! :) I am up for when ever but if you ask me the sooner the better so that the people we met at the con will still have the event and us fresh in there minds!!! Hey Dale we need the opening page of our web-site updated to reflect the upcoming meeting even if we dont have a date set yet we can tell our visitors that the next meetings date will be set soon..

6. Aravis_Antilles

Aravis_Antilles Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2003
    Ugh. Can make Saturday meeting. Probably drag J. That all. Sleep now.

EDIT:Sorry. Forgot name.

Joy*

7. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    Just aboot any time is fine for me.

8. bigheadwookie

bigheadwookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2003
    YAY! Hopefully, i can come to this one! I can meet everyone! And i won't have to remember screen names!

But I have to negotiate with my stubbourn parents...

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    BHW: Tell them we're an academic group, sorta like the math club, except different.

10. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    SAL: main page has been updated
    EVERYONE ELSE: i'll have to check with the boss (my wife) but i'd be happy to host one of those meetings, preferably the May meeting.

11. bigheadwookie

Mar 9, 2003
    no. i'm going to tell them up front, and let them know that they can come. sadly, they wouldn't believe that an acedimic group i would go to would be in Memphis. or tipton county, for that matter.

12. bigheadwookie

Mar 9, 2003
    I said someting tonight at supper. At first my mom said she didn't want me to go to a house full of a bunch of weirdo's (no offense. She doesn't know you), but when i said that they could come, they said that they wouldn't say anything until they knew the ages of people there, and the amount, and stuff like that.

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    BHW: If she'd prefer, your mother can contact me with any questions she has about our group at tim@suspiciousmindtrick.net. I'd be happy to converse with her by either email or by phone, whichever her preference. As I said before, both of your parents are more-than-welcome to attend the meeting with you.

You can tell her that we are a mixed group of SW fans. As of now, including you, we have 16 official members ranging from 15 (that's you) to 40-somethings. Six of us are parents, and bring our children to our meetings.

We have yet to have a real weirdo in the group, and judging from our visit to MSC, this fact can be confirmed. Tell your mom that she's confusing Star Wars fans with Trekkies. There's a horrible stigma attached to sci-fi fans thanks to Star Trek. Hopefully, someday that image will be remedied.

14. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    Ugghhh. Trekkies. Scum of the universe!! :)

We're not too weird. We're just grown men who play with motorized R2-D2's!!! :p

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    And what could be more wholesome than grown men playing with motorized R2's?

We need to settle on a date for the next meeting.

16. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I vote for the 27th.

17. bigheadwookie

Mar 9, 2003
    Motorized R2's!!!! SWEEET!!!!! I'm coming whether they like it or not! ( a lot of sarcasm in this. sorry)

but seriously, that does sound kind of cool. I didn't even know there were such things as mororized R2D2's.

18. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    I'm 20, and as I once read on a key chain, I'm not wierd, I'm gifted.

Tim

19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK, that's one vote for the 27th.... I'm neutral, because I don't have a life outside my job, my family, and this fanclub, so I'm pretty much open to any date!!!

Anybody got a crystal ball to give us some idea of what the weather will be? Should we make a rain date just in case?

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    We mean the 26th do't we? I'd rather do a Sat.

21. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    QGT has to work a booth for his employer at "Arlington in April" on the 26th. :(

May 3rd, maybe? Anyone?

22. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    May 3rd is good for me!! :p

23. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    May, 3rd is good for me too.

Tim

24. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I think May 3 would work for me, too.

25. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    I'm 24 bald head, brown eyes and looking for love in all the wrong places.... I can understand why your parents are being careful.

April 26th, let's give it a whirl, next month's (May) meeting should be an opening night gathering for Matrix Reloaded, if you folks are interested in that sort of thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.