main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Droids and their Names

Discussion in 'Literature' started by KamNale, Nov 5, 2018.

1. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    So the other night I was thinking about droids. There are thousands of R2 droids in the galaxy. What are of the odds of one of them being named R2-D2? Like do the droid's number depend on who built them and what planet?

Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I think they are based on the model-there are R3s and R4 lines of the astromech model.

Most droids probably have a numerical identification tied to their model and owner I would think.

3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It may well be that R2's serial number is R2 (model #)-D2XX:####:XXXX:##XX:XX##:####:XXXX:##XX. A longer alpha numeric serial number. He is referred to by R2-D2 less formally and nicknamed Artoo.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah that's probably accurate as well.

5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    That was always my assumption as well.

Almost related to the topic of droid names, I always loved the moment in TPM where the Queen asks Panaka what Artoo's number is and Panaka reads it off a spot on Artoo's torso, as if Artoo had a little nameplate or something there (despite there clearly being nothing written in the spot Panaka is looking at). I don't know why, it's just a weird little moment that makes me smile.

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I feel like that would be more plausible if it were only R2-D2 and C-3PO that got nicknames based on their abbreviated serial number. But we have droids all over the place like R5-G8, R4-P17, etc...and if everybody's using this scheme for naming their droids then you'd run out of nicknames very fast. The fact that R2-D2 is shortened even further to just R2 makes it even worse...what if Luke is in the Echo Base hangar, calls for R2, and gets greeted by R2-Z9, R2-Q4, R2-F3, and R2-K1?

7. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    That is all dependent on the owners preference...in the movies we see that quick abbreviation of their model...in the EU we see them have other nicknames like Whistler and Shiner.

As far as droids being called the same thing....how many people on the planet share your first name.

Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  8. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Another interesting development that started in TCW and has continued into the canon era are certain droids that appear to have actual names - Kalani, Huyang - rather than alphanumeric designations. It would be interesting to learn more about that at some point.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That could be because their owner decided to name them. Wild animals don't have names while pets do.

Gamiel likes this.
  10. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I actually have a theory about that. I think Panaka looked at that spot in the expectation that he would find a name or number there, but didn't see anything. He didn't want to look like an idiot in front of the Queen, so he just said the first random thing that came to his mind, R2-D2. That's how he got his name.

11. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Could be. Right now in canon, we have five examples of "named" droids that I'm aware of (could be more but these are the ones that I recall). Three of them are CIS super tactical droids - Kalani, Kraken, and Tey-Zuka. Another is Huyang, who is clearly unique among droids due to his age, authority, and degree of reverence within the Jedi Order. And then there's Cator, the droid who guarded Jocasta Nu's vault. Admittedly Cator might be a nickname for K-TOR or KTR or something along those lines - unfortunately he doesn't last long enough for us to get to know him very well. I wonder if he dated back to the beginning of the Republic the way Huyang did?

I don't know what we can draw from all that in terms of conclusions. Not all super tactical droids receive names - there's at least one counter-example I'm aware of (unless "Aut-O" is a name and not an alphanumeric). And obviously, not all Jedi droids have names. For now I suppose it's just an interesting oddity - maybe someone will have an opportunity to ask Dave Filoni about it sometime.

12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Chopper counts as a nicknamed droid right?

DarthJaceus likes this.
  13. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    And Bollux.

Sarge, DarthJaceus and Nom von Anor like this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, droids with actual names would make more sense, but as far as I can tell they're the exception rather than the rule. Though I suppose we could just a bit of a mental retcon and imagine that what's been depicted doesn't necessarily reflect reality.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Artoo and Threepio sound like their numerical designation - R2 and 3PO. But lately the nicknames have gotten farther from their designation, Chopper is C1-1OP which really doesn't sound like "Chopper" at all. BB-8 is just called "BB-8" (or Beebee Eight) all the time (Which is fine, it's a short name). However, I could have sworn that Alan Dean Foster called BB-8 "Bee Bee" a few times in the TFA novelization which thankfully didn't seem to stick.

And if we're saying R2 has a longer designation, you'd figure BB-8 would have one too cuz that's an even shorter number of varriable name since they're BB units designated BB. (although the First Order droid called BB-9e does open up possibilities with number / letter designations)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    darklordoftech and DarthJaceus like this.
  16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    There's a problem with R-series droids when it comes to designation. Ideally, any droid whose "name" starts with R4- shoudl belong to the the R4-series, right? Yeah, it should. But TCW went all over the place, with R2-series unit bearing names starting with R4-, R7-, R8-...

Nom von Anor and DarthJaceus like this.
  17. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    1-1 looks like an H (High Galactic alphabet)

See it now ;)

18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Ooooohhhhhhhhhh

Dream-Thinker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    OH MY GOD HOW HAVE I BEEN SO BLIND

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    We all just learned something today!

I guess that may have been mentioned on a Rebels Recon and I just plum forgot or it's sourced from elsewhere but I get it.

Dream-Thinker and vncredleader like this.
  21. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    You know, with astromechs in particular there was a general sense perpetrated by the old EU that the R2, R4, R5 etc. astromechs could be identified basically by head shape... except that the droid Kenner identified as "R5-D4" was literally said within the film to be an "R2 unit". Seems like it went like this:

1) In ANH these droids were called "Astro droids" or "R2 units"
    2) Kenner names the red R2 unit "R5-D4"
    3) EU starts codifying astromech subgroups by head shape (except for the R1 which I don't think was really supposed to be an astromech but some kind of war droid with a cannon on its head, but whatever). Just noticed that Wookieepedia still considers this system canon somehow, despite all the following...
    4) Starting in AOTC we see astromechs with names that don't match those head shapes, leading to odd retcons about rebuilds etc.
    5) TCW (straddling old and new canon) offers more of the same up until the "D-squad" arc where, to allow they audience to keep track of astromech droid protagonists, they totally throw the whole "R-series" thing out the window with basic astromechs whose names start with M, U, and Q.
    6) Ah, the hell with it. New canon comes up with a bunch of new and old astromech units with other model names which is cool; we just never really sorted out the R-series thanks to weird choices in the EU and main LFL canon alike. But we got the C1 series on one end, the BB series on the other, and RESISTANCE looks like it's adding a whole bunch of new distinct series too, so that's fun.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  22. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    You know what, maybe this is just something that's better if we don't think too hard about it. If we actually came up with a stringent and consistent naming scheme for droids that authors need to adhere to, that would probably just create a headache for everyone.

23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    If Wook does it, it's because there are new canon sources that keep mentioning the system. Despite all the following. This is not the wikia's invention.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  24. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    The Adventure Journal article "The History of R-Series Astromech Droids" by Pablo is a foundational text here - the first time there ever was an attempt to classify which astromechs were "R1"s, which were "R2"s, etc. (It's also the first reference I'm aware of to the R1 actually being called an R1 - had they received any sort of background info before that?)

Nom von Anor and DarthJaceus like this.
  25. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    There was an R1 card in Decipher's Star Wars Customizable Card Game. I'm not sure, however, if that came out before the aforementioned Adventure Journal article or not.

The Positive Fan likes this.