main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Droids / Ewoks TV shows on DVD *confirmed*

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TiniTinyTony , Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    I have droids on VHS. It's pretty interesting but, ultimately wierd. It doesn't have that Star Wars feel for me. I haven't seen Ewoks for 8 years but I remember watching Ewoks when I was like 7. I hated it even than(and back then, Iw as considered the biggest Star Wars fan in the school) It was like care-bears but sometime I'm in the mood to watch them.

2. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Will there be any bonus features on the Ewok movies DVD?

I'd say it's doubtful, with both films being on one disc.

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Yeah I don't think there will be any either each film is 100 minutes each so thats 3 hours and 20 minutes just for the films so it doesn't leave much room for anything else. Although they could fit in a couple of short features.

4. Ozzel

May 14, 2001
    Anybody have any idea yet as to which few episodes will be on the cartoon DVDs? Sounds like "Treasures of the Hidden Planet" from Droids will include "The Great Heap". With Ewoks, "Tales of the Endor Woods" sounds like it could just be any random episodes (possibly from the second season).

If there are any I haven't seen yet, I may just have to give them a rental. (I still don't intend to buy these lousy discs.)

5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't think it has the great heep, but the roon storyline is in it, plus the Mul Jappa storyline. That one was relaesed in vhs and was approximately 90 minutes. Their might be a second release next year

6. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Huzzah! CD Wow's got the Ewok movies on it for £9 with free delivery :D No sign of the animated DVDs yet tho :(

Anyone spotted them on any other similar sites? I saw them all on SWShop for pre-order but I wanted to wait and see if we were getting a simultaneous UK release. Which it looks like we ain't. :(

Interestingly, the CD-Wow description says: "Those great spin-off Ewok movies from the eighties that you only vaguely remember are here brought together on one double-sided disc."

Now I reckon it's just a gaffe on their part, but why would it need to be a double-sided disc? :confused: We haven't seen them since the bad old days of single layer discs. Surely it's got to be cheaper to put something on two discs than produce 2-siders these days? The only reason they'd need to do this would be if they were putting something else on there which wouldn't fit otherwise. Which would be some kind of easter-egg as nothing else it listed. Just a thought, but it's probably my over-active imagination.

Ah well, should have Ewoks within the week hopefully then we'll know.

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Cheers Blackout!
    Though since I'm in no desperate rush to get those or the Droids/Ewoks cartoons, I think I'll wait. If there's no date for a Region 2 release by the time the Clone Wars DVD comes out (If we're not getting the Ewok/Droids cartoons, I doubt we're getting Clone Wars), then I'll shell out for that £25 multi-region player from Argos.

8. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    Hey Guff! :D

I'd have thought that you'd have pre-ordered the set from SWShop! I reckon we'll get CW on time, it's a more focused marketing campaign than releasing the old back-issues so to speak. :p

While I can certainly recommend a cheap DVD player to play mult-region (that's what I did), have you looked to see if there's a crack for your existing model? More often than not, it's just a matter of inputting some numbers on the remote. Unless you've got a Sony :p

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    *Shows you my Sony* :p

Actually, there is a code for it, but it says that I can't input it with a standard Sony remote. Buying that multi-region player ain't exactly too bad though - it's only £25 and an extra DVD player will never go wrong in my house.

10. sdp

sdp Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    I'm mad aswell, at least they did do the Ewoks TV movies right, both for 10 was defenately good. Seems strange they decided to screw us up with the cartoon releases, i mean if they did that it's weird that they didn't screw the Ewok movies aswell.

Not saying i wanted them to screw them up ;) I'm glad they didn't, but i wish they hadn't screwed the cartoon release.

At first i thought it was the whole season for 15 not butchered episodes together.

11. Ozzel

May 14, 2001
    Double-sided discs aren't that unusual. Superman, T2, the original Muppet films, Ghostbusters 2, etc. are all double sided discs.

This is actually good news. It means the video bitrate will be higher, rather than them having to compress both films to both fit on one side.

12. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    One bad thing about 2-sided disc is that they are easier to scratch.

So who's go the Ewoks Adventures dvd yet. I'm waiting till I can get to a Best Buy so I can use my 3 Best Buy Bucks I won in the McDonalds Monopoly game. I can get the dvd for $7.00. :D

13. Darth_Thrasymachus

Darth_Thrasymachus Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2002
    Just picked them up (all three). In Canada, they're $13.99 each at HMV. Not too bad -- I suspect they'll be even cheaper at Wal-Mart etc.

Took a look at Battle for Endor. Fairly good picture quality for a made-for-tv movie from the eighties.

Any questions?

14. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    [face_laugh] I'll go straight to the most obvious one, any hidden features?

Obviously it's early days yet and I don't expect everyone to have scoured their DVD looking for stuff, but even Beneath The Dome had secrets to it so I'm hopeful! [face_praying]

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

15. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    One of the US VHS releases of Droids is 'The Pirates and the Prince' - running time app. 90 mins. It's like a feature length episode. This is in fact three tv-episodes bolted together, because on the UK VHS release of that same 'cycle', we get the episodes seperately, with titles/credits in between.
    I'm guessing this is what they'll call an episode.
    So you're getting about 3 hours of Droids which is 2 or 6/7 episodes, depending on how you look at it.

Doesn't alter the fact that there's technically 4 cycles though, and we'll be getting 2
    The cycles are:

The Trigon One (the one with Boba Fett)
    Mon Julpa (The lost Prince)
    The Great Heep (which is a preface for...)
    The Mungo Baobab Adventures

It's about 5½ hours all together. I reckon we'll get the first two so that they can release the second two at a later date

I dread to think what they're gonna do with Ewoks though, there's 9 hours of those cartoons...

Wait a minute. Do you mean to tell me that instead of getting the cartoons as they were back when they were on TV, we are getting like 2 or 3 episodes all pasted together like one big long episode? Are these episodes three story arcs or something? It seems to me that if they each had an original and stand alone story line, such a move to block them all together would make for one messed up 90 minute "episode".

I really hope that this isn't true. Can anyone confirm this or at the very least tell me that it works and that it's still fun to watch? I am thinking I may not buy the cartoons after all and just stick with the Ewok movies.

16. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    Do you mean to tell me that instead of getting the cartoons as they were back when they were on TV, we are getting like 2 or 3 episodes all pasted together like one big long episode?

That's what it looks like, yeah. In the UK we had VHS releases with all the episodes seperately, in the US the VHS releases were:
    ? 'The Pirates and the Prince' - which was The Lost Prince, The New King, The Pirates of Tarnooga and The Revenge of Kybo Ren all rolled into one.

? 'The Lost Prince' - which was the first episode of that story arc above on it's own

? 'The White Witch' and 'Escape into Terror' on a tape together, which is the first two episodes of the Trigon One story arc.

I can't be 100% but I think they were the only droids eps released in the US. They're the only ones I've seen/got anyways. So yeah, the first one is a bolted together mini-movie anyway so it's not a new format for LFL ;)

EDIT: Reading that back I realise I've kinda repeated the post you quoted without answering the question much, sorry [face_laugh]
    It looks like we're getting 'story arcs' yeah. Not just bolted random episodes :)

17. Darth_Thrasymachus

Feb 7, 2002
    There are no hidden features -- at least none that I could find.

The cartoons are edited into long story arcs (two stories on each release, one on each side of the DVD).

Droids:
    Side A is "The Pirates and the Prince" and has 4 chapter stops ("The Lost Prince," "The New King," "The Pirates of Tarnoonga" and "The Revenge of Kybo Ren").

Side B is "Treasure of the Hidden Planet" and also has 4 chapter stops ("The Tail of Roon Comet," "The Roon Games," "Across the Roon Sea" and "The Frozen Citadel").

18. Darth_Thrasymachus

Feb 7, 2002
    Ewoks

Side A is "The Hauted Village" ("The Haunted Village," "The Cries of the Trees," "Rampage of the Phlogs," and "Sunstar vs. Shadowstone")

Side B is "Tales from the Endor Woods" ("Wicket's Wagon," The Travelling Jindas," "To Save Deej" and "Asha").

I haven't watched either of them yet -- just put the disk in to confirm that they didn't have the Ewok theme song at the beginning... sigh...

Hopefully these will sell enough to encourage LFL to release season sets.

19. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    Nice one D_T, cheers for that! :)

20. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Looking at the packaging, it appears that the cartoons and Ewoks movies are all on dual-sided single-layer DVDs.

I haven't opened mine yet, I just recently got back from running around trying to find them. Best Buy had them for about $10 each, as did Meijer's. I didn't see them at Target.

21. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Interesting. Can anyone that has seen the Droids and/or Ewoks cartoons tell me if they are worth getting in their current DVD form? Do they feel over edited and cut or do you feel like you are actually getting the full episodes?

I am definately going to buy the Ewok movies because I liked them quite a bit when I was younger but I don't have as much attachment to the cartoons. I wouldn't, however, mind having them if they are worth getting. I am a Star Wars geek after all. :-B :p

22. darthsmozers

darthsmozers Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2000
    Hopefully these will sell enough to encourage LFL to release season sets.

Hopefully, but I suspect many will skip out in hopes of simply buying a series set later on ... which could hurt sales ...

23. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I got the Droids and Ewoks cartoons last night.

I'm dissapointed that the Droids DVD doesn't have the cool intro music on it. I didn't check the Ewoks DVD yet but I'm sure it's the same deal.

24. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    What, no "They are the E-E-E-E-Eeeeewoks- they're one big happy family!" ? Alas...

25. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    HurrAAAh! :D My Ewoks CoC/BFE DVD turned up today. Champion! The quality's alright innit? Better than the old VHS versions I've got anyways. ;)

I particularly like the new spangly Lucasfilm logo, immediately followed by the old plain one.

One thing that leaps out to me though; Wicket just looks like a guy in a suit! (yes, I know)

[image=http://img114.exs.cx/img114/4977/whatsgoingonwithwicket.jpg]

I know he's meant to look a bit younger, but it looks like they kept Wawrick's suit in a bin bag after RotJ. [face_laugh]

Ah well, that's tonights viewing sorted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.