main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Droids: mechanical menaces or interesting characters in their own right? New index added. Need fics!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by spiritgurl, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    Droids, like it or not, have been part of Star Wars since the very beginning with R2D2 and C3PO, but it seems like they don't get much play in fan fic. Why do you think this is?

Do you have a story that features a droid of one kind or another (either main character or in just a few scenes)? If so, could please post an excerpt and link to let some of us see what you've done. :)

Do you find it easier or harder to write a droid than a living breathing character? Why?

Have you even considered including droids in your stories before as either main or background characters? Why or why not?

sg

[b][color=yellow][hl=orangered] THE "MECHANICAL MENACES" DROID FAN FIC INDEX [/hl][/color][/b]

[blockquote][b][color=yellow][hl=orangered] HOW TO GET LISTED [/hl][/color][/b]

This is for stories that have droids either as the main characters or as [b]prominent[/b] secondary characters. If your story qualifies and you would like it added please send the following information to me via PM.

Title: [ link=url of story]Title of story[/link ] (please leave in spaces before and after "link" for me)
    Author:
    Droid(s): (If an OC is used put OD for "original droid" and then the OD's name. Example: OD/R6D3)
    Other characters:
    Era: (Before the Saga, The Saga, Beyond the Saga)
    Genre: (Romance, Angst, Humor, Action etc)
    Summary:

While not required, if your story is listed a link back to this thread is greatly appreciated. [face_hugs] To make it easy for you here is the code, just copy paste and remove the spaces before and after "link" to make it work.

LISTED AT:
    [ link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Resource/b10304/16741235/?0]Droids: mechanical menaces or interesting characters in their own right?[/link ]

[b][color=yellow][hl=orangered] THE INDEX [/hl][/color][/b][/blockquote]

[blockquote][b][color=yellow][hl=orangered] A-D [/hl][/color][/b]

Title: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=20555406]A Boy and His Droids [/link]
    Author: Lovely-in-Orange
    Droids: R2D2, C3PO
    Other characters: Anakin, Obi-Wan, & Padme
    Timeframe: RotS
    Genre: AU, probably a very short story
    Summary: Obi-Wan gets a little help as he confronts Anakin
    Author Note: This story takes place near the end of RotS on Mustafar - immediately after Obi-Wan kneels to check on Padme.

[b][color=yellow][hl=orangered] E-H [/hl][/color][/b]

*none at this time*

[b][color=yellow][hl=orangered] I-L [/hl][/color][/b]

Title: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/20194840]In the Event of My Death...[/link]
    Author: AdmiralWesJanson
    Droid: R2D2
    Other characters: Mara Jade
    Era: During Showdown at Centerpoint
    Genre: romance, sort of
    Summary: Mara records a message for Luke before the Battle of Centerpoint Station

[b][color=yellow][hl=orangered] M-P [/hl][/color][/b]

*none at this time*

[b][color=yellow][hl=orangered] Q-T [/hl][/color][/b]

Title: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/12270175/?14]R2D2 - Droid Master of the Empire [/link]
    Author: Dianethx
    Droid(s): R2D2, C3PO
    Genre: AU
    Summary: R2D2 is not what he appears to be....
    Notes:**this means electronic speech, translated into Basic**
    This was written originally for the short story challenge on the old boards (write a good character bad or a bad character good). I was never happy with it when I first posted it but have changed the language considerably since.

[b][color=yellow][hl=orangered] U-Z [/hl][/color][/b]

*none at this time*[/blockquote]

*note: I'm going to try to include some of the stories already mentioned in this but not all have the info ready for me to add in and it'll also take me some time to see if they fit the criteria. Again if you would like to have your story added, and I missed you, please send me a PM.

[hr]

[b][color=yellow][hl=orangered] DROID RELATED LINKS [/hl][/color][/b]

[ul]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Resource/b10304/19574596/?10]Cataloguing Droids[/link]

*more coming soon*[/li]
    [/ul]

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I've only written one story with the droids and it was a complete AU - where R2D2 was a secret agent of Palpatine. Here's the excerpt as requested... and the link R2D2- Droid Master of the Empire

The little droid only clamped on tighter and began to pour shattering bolts of excruciating energy into the 3PO's hypersensitive neutral circuits. R2D2 turned his malevolent eye socket to the whimpering protocol droid and chittered balefully, **Where is that blasted Skywalker brat? You were supposed to keep track of him. Where is he? Tell me, you fool.**

The golden mechanical only wailed his anguish, shuddering in his desperate attempt to get away from the fiendish droid. **I don't know what happened to Master Luke, I swear it.**

It was the oddest experience to write droids. I found it a lot easier to write than humans especially since you have to use dialogue and sounds much more efficiently. With no facial expressions the droids seemed simpler to do. Would I do another droid story? Not likely. But you never know when a plot bunny will hit.

3. RiffConway

RiffConway Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2004
    I think droids aren't given enough credit, because few droids operate solo. Their motovation is to serve their current master, but strangely enough they have sentience that allows them to create ideas, thoughts and opinions of their master and others. Thus a labor droid could work for a slaver droid and hate his guts.

There was an IG unit that was given the free sentient programming of the original IG-88s, but rather joining the 88s to take over the galaxy it chose another path...hhmmmm... I don't know what became of it either.

In a story I'm working on, the navigator is an ASP droid that was supposed to be part of a group of ASPs delivered to Vader for saber practice. Luckily he was mis-labeled and sent to do regular labor jobs, until my main character picked him up.

My favorite droid duo would have to be Bollux and Blue Max.

4. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    The Droids are fun to do. I've used them in some of my writing. Nothing that's posted here, but I like how they can be comic relief or go unnoticed. I think they are way underutilized in fan fic and the books.

5. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Great thread, spiritgurl :D

Droids, like it or not, have been part of Star Wars since the very beginning with R2D2 and C3PO, but it seems like they don't get much play in fan fic. Why do you think this is?

Well it depends. Some fanfic writers use droids very well and in the way the Flannel One intended ? as sidekicks, comic relief, and impartial observers. Others avoid droids simply because they aren?t the easiest to write. Personally I think they are a great tool to advance a story.

Do you have a story that features a droid of one kind or another (either main character or in just a few scenes)? If so, could please post an excerpt and link to let some of us see what you've done.

Well in my story Legacy (and it?s precursor Echoes of the Past) I use a droid as my main character?s sidekick. Since Jaina is an X-wing pilot, casting a droid in a lot of scenes was an easy choice as a writer. I have included an excerpt to show how I portray a scene from the droid?s POV.

Do you find it easier or harder to write a droid than a living breathing character? Why?

Just like any character, the writer needs to get into the character?s head. As you can see in my excerpt I do some unique things to enhance the droid?s ?personality?. For instance, the droid wonders if an unconscious person can simply reboot, and the thought process is very structured. Time is perceived differently for a droid capable of processing many complicated decisions at once.

Also when a droid is in a scene, depending on the character?s POV I may refer to the droid as ?it? or ?he/she?. The determining factor is how the character thinks of the droid. For instance, Luke might see Artoo as ?he? whereas a technician might see Artoo as ?it?.

So the excerpt follow?

*DOUBLE NOVA BADLY DAMAGED. COLONEL SOLO-FEL TRAPPED. MASTER DURRON OFFLINE. NEED HELP. Message complete. Please send.*

*This message has been sent eighteen times since the original transmittal five-point-oh-two minutes ago,* the auxiliary communication station responded.

*Please send,* Trick repeated.

*The effort seems excessive when power reserves are at a premium,* the station responded.

Trick spun his white dome in a complete rotation while emitting a loud blat. If his data-transfer arm had not been attached to the auxiliary communication terminal, the droid might have rammed the unit in exasperation. Since determining the cockpit communications system was damaged, Trick had found his way to the Nova?s back-up station. The trip had been difficult due to the considerable damage inflicted upon the freighter, but Trick had reasserted his mission parameters every time he had been met by a seemingly insurmountable obstacle. He had climbed, rerouted, and pushed his way to the auxiliary systems compartment only to have the obstinate, narrow-parametered comm-computer question his orders a sum total of forty-five times.

*Transmittal Authorization?*

*No need to repeat the authorization code,* the comm-computer interrupted. *Not that I think an astromechanical technician droid truly has access to authorization codes other than to store them for?*

A high-pitched whistle ended the terminal?s protest. The next instant, it acquiesced, purring with activity. Trick warbled once softly. The auxiliary communication unit was inferior to its primary counterpart, but it had been correct on one point. Trick really did not have access to authorization codes except for verification purposes. But when his mission parameters had found a conflict between what he could do and should do, Trick?s artificial intelligence rationalized that any primary objectives overruled all other limitations set by his fundamental programming. Without a second reconsideration to such an action?s conflict with his basic factory programming, he had then recalled Lieutenant Horn?s codes and used them to authorize the transmittal of a distress message.

After a silent one-point-nine-two-seven seconds, the comm-computer f

6. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I haven't yet written about a droid as my main character, but I've done one in a suporting role. He's actually quite easy to write. M1-CK, who features in the Jemmiah Choronicles as Lilith Demodae's electronic sidekick, is logical, prioritizing things according to a strict heirarchy. Of course, his priorities have been programmed by a slicer and a smuggler, so....

M1-CK did not wish to continue evolving, he wasn?t that far along yet, but the barely used emotion routines in his central processor quivered and trembled whenever logical data flow led to the idea of memory erasure. It was a curious contradiction, one that the little droid had spent a bit of time trying to puzzle out. One evening, when he was tucked safely into his charging bank, the little black droid decided to explore his choices.

PROBLEM:

searching ...

Emotional resistance to memory erasure.

Self-preservation sub-routines resist erasure.

Obedience routines require that orders be followed.

end search.

SOLUTION:

working ...

The little cursor inside blinked for quite a while, maybe even a whole ten microseconds, while the various routines, sub-routines, and logic circuits were consulted. Eventually a workable plan was arrived at.

*When logic shows that erasure command is imminent shut-down is recommended. ?An order unheard is an order ungiven.?

*When shut-down not feasible alternate interpretation of orders highly recommended.

*When direct, unequivacable order is unavoidable ...

The logic data stream completed, but there was a noticeable hesitation, a time lag of at least fifteen nanoseconds.

... obey.

"You okay disconnecting yourself, or do you need help?"

Mick blatted at her and indicated the lounge with an extended gripper, then he set about slowly removing the cables and connections and leads that had tied him into the Scorpion so intimately that he had felt her last gasping breaths. In fact, he'd felt every blast she took and every broken cable in her until the very last. It was disturbing to be so limited again when before he had roamed the whole of the ship in mere seconds, operated any console that was functioning just by turning his logic circuits in that direction, powered up engines, navigated, flew, walked and talked and even danced. Now he was back to being just a squat black droid, battered and seamed and welded and scarred. His emotion sub-routines churned out something that he didn't recognize, though a Human would have immediately labeled it depression mixed with frustration.

The last cable connecting him to the Scorpion had to be cut, a power surge having fused the plugs together, and then M1-CK truly was just himself again. He sat staring at the hole he had occupied for the last five years and more and uttered a mournful little note before turning resolutely toward the lounge and rolling on his way.

There were things to do with higher priority tags than staring at holes in the bulkheads, and the first was to verify with his own photoreceptor that Lilith really was okay. Knight Rei'ch was a good sort all around, but she wasn't a healer and she hadn't known the blond as long as he had.

7. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    I wrote R2's side of Return of the Jedi...but aside from humor, I wouldn't use them as a main. I'm most comfortable just writing human characters.

8. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    I have to confess that I'm rather fond of my droid invention, a demented Nanny droid known as NAN-1 with an overbearing, meticulous love of rules and authority, utterly devoted to the welbeing of her charge. All of which would be fine if the individual she was looking after was a child - but when that person is a thirty-something freighter captain desperately trying to scratch an honest living, things tend to get a little bit fraught...

And I have to say that I think Lilith Demodae's M1-CK is possibly one of the finest creations on the boards :)

9. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    I absolutely believe that droids could play a more active role in Star Wars fan fics.

They can become more than funny sidekicks and add more to the story.

I mean, Data from Star Trek: TNG for example. He was an android but became so much more. Such a character should be able to make true in Star Wars.

I haven't written many droids. Neither as sidekicks or lead characters, but I think they are harder. But that is only challenging. I really think there is a future for droid stories.

10. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Wan't there a story with a LOM droid as head of a Squadron ? Written by Syntax ?

11. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Bah! I need to come back and comment on some of this, but no time right now. I will throw out another question though.

Regarding the relationship between Astromech droids and their masters: Can the pilots/masters actually understand all of those tweets and twerps that R2D2 and other droids like him make or are they just making up conversation? Take Luke and R2 for instance, in ANH, C3PO translates for R2, but then by ESB Luke is carrying on a conversation with the droid like he understands what he's saying. so, which is it? I could understand if a pilot is reading the droids messages on a screen on their ship and knew what the droid was saying but on Dagobah Luke couldn't do that.

sg

12. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    Spiritgurl - The EU would have us believe that when a pilot is in his X-wing, he can read the translation of the beeps and twitters on his screen. But in many books in which Luke is "talking" to R2, he states that he is 'guessing' what the droid is saying.

It makes sense. A pilot could get a sense of which pitches and sounds mean different things. Beeps and whistles are constantly referred to as 'negative' or 'affirmative'. That way, when Luke is talking to R2 on dagobah, the questions and hypotheticals that he's throwing up are very much a one-sided conversation. Artoo may be able to 'agree' or 'disagree' based on the noises that he makes, but Luke can only guess at what the droid is actually saying.

13. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    ahh... interesting... after I posted I remembered that Obi was kind of chatty with R4 in AOTC as well... So it's sort of like talking to your dog or cat, I suppose.

I think there could be an arugment for humans being able to understand droids too though. after all, somehow Han understands Chewie, and Bail understood that Gran Senator's grunts and bellows in AOTC so maybe.

sg

14. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    I think you'd be right, Spiritgurl. There'd be plenty of people who would take the time to decipher the astromech language, im sure. I mean, there are real people in today's world who know how to speak Klingon, so anything's possible ;)

Actually, I can see the advantages to being able to fully understand an Astromech. Nobody would suspect that you could understand it, so communicating in code would be a very easy thing.

15. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I use droids a lot in my stories. I'm intrigued by the relationship between R2 and Padme. I was brought up with a lot of pets and I tend to see R2 as the GFFA version of a very loyal, very smart tomcat to Padme. My droids always have unique personalities and quirks.

I'm not sure how well people understand the astromech droids though... I got the feeling in AotC that Obi- chatted with R4 in a retrospective sort of sense - he was more talking to himself than the droid - which actually makes sense when you think of how isolated a pilot's life can be...

16. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Okay guys, I've got a question: how do you write the sounds that Artoo makes? Browsing this thread, it looks like some people just do *whatever you're saying here* But does anybody do anything else to describe those little bleeps and whistles(or whatever)? I'm trying to write Artoo, and it just flows weird. What words would you use to describe the sounds he makes? Anybody got any ideas?

17. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I wrote a story which took place twenty thousand years before TPM.
    It was called Thunder of an Empire
    found here http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16578098&replies=0

One of the major characters was Calvin an intelligent android that makes very good observations.
    It was basically a story about a regional empire and there are a few plot twists along the way. In the end Calvin ends the story with an observation about thunder (which ties in to the plot).

He was nothing like C-3P0. He was far more intelligent, and would probably work much better with an Isaac Asimov robot.

-Seldon

18. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Famous Amos I haven't had the pleasure of trying to figure out how to write R2 yet but I would probably lean towards more things like "beeped frantically" or "gave an annoyed twert" (yes I know that's not a word but I think it's reasonable to make words up that sound somewhat like the sound).

It might be helpful to everyone to do some brainstorming here. Anybody else have suggestions for R2 "sounds"? :)

I'll start:

Beep
    Twert
    Toot
    Whir
    Buzz
    Whistle
    Chirp
    Twitter

any others? Remember you can make words up for this too. :)

sg

19. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Any other ideas for droid sounds? :(

And here's another question: Droids and Lying. In ANH R2 lies and says that Obi-Wan is his owner. Obi-Wan seems a little curious about this, says "very interesting" as if this is not a normal occurance for a droid to lie. So what do you think? Are droids allowed to lie by their programming? If they are not how is it R2 can lie? Through the influence of the force perhaps?

sg

20. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    For R2, I try to replicate what GL did--give a general impression of R2's "mood" and then have another character translate. I don't try to transcribe actual noises, just impressions of ones . . . the same way I'd describe the tone and "feel" of a series of musical notes, I guess. Since there's no C-3PO in my story, I've made Anakin "fluent in astromech," although Obi-Wan has to guess at what he's saying.

Maybe this is a prefiguration of the "more machine than man" thing. Maybe it's only because Anakin's the Chosen One, and he really likes droids. :p

Anyway, this is an excerpt of "dialogue" between Anakin and R2:

Suddenly R2 burst out with a series of staccato beeps. Despite the droid's excitement, a quick glance at the data reader revealed nothing obviously unusual. "Wait a minute . . . slow down. What kind of pattern match?" Anakin asked.

He pressed the comlink's receiver closer to his ear as he tried to catch R2's rush of electronic speech. What he thought he was hearing didn't make a lot of sense. "Triple-A rating propulsors? Are you sure? You couldn't possibly be detecting power output from something that small unless it was practically right on-" Anakin's speech was cut off abruptly as a tiny black object shot past his nose.

"Hey!" Anakin brought his rifle up, pivoting on the balls of his feet as he tracked the thing. It looped and darted like an insect, but no living creature moved that fast or changed direction that quickly. R2's warning beeps confirmed his suspicions.

I have to say that I really like writing droid characters, and always have since I was just a wee geek writing fanfic inside my grade school journal. For one thing, they're easy. You don't need to worry about complex character motivations or how plausible a droid's psychological reaction is. Droids, in the words of Seraph from "Matrix: Revolutions," are "all here to do what we're here to do." For another thing, droids can be funny. There's just something vaguely hilarious about a sentient toaster or vacuum cleaner trying to order its owners around. Maybe it's a subtle parody of how our stuff tends to own us. I don't know.

In my current fic, I've got a timid little med tech droid that's been driving Obi-Wan nuts:
      Matreya had been steadily feeding sticks into the little fire, while Mouse trundled around on the ground, bumping his nose into things and complaining.

"Hot," he was burbling at the moment. "Hot, Tech II."

"Well, if you're too hot, then move away," Matreya told the droid.

She claimed that Mouse was perfectly competent at medical tasks, but apparently he hadn't been given enough sense in practical matters to back away from a fire or come in out of the rain before he rusted. Obi-Wan remained edgy and uneasy, and the little droid was getting on his nerves. He had to repress an urge to put a rock or stick in Mouse's way, just to watch the little machine bump into it. For what seemed like the thousanth time that night, Obi-Wan checked the message screen on his datapad, which was, of course, blank. The Force told him that Anakin was well enough for the moment, but he knew no more than that. He replaced the datapad and returned to the position he'd been in for the last quarter of an hour: his back up against the rock wall, and his wrists resting on his drawn-up knees.

Mouse covered the ground in the cave at a kind of bouncing roll and eventually bumped into one of Obi-Wan's boots. "Ow," said the droid.

"Look, you need to find a place to be and stay put," Obi-Wan told him sharply.

Mouse shot backward several centimeters, and then apparently decided that his backside was too close to the fire. "Ow," he repeated. "Hot."

"Come here, Mouse," Matreya said, holding out her hands to the little droid.

• spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
      awwwww... come here Mouse! *hugs Mouse* 8-} Poor little thing. *sniff*

sg

• emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
      I'm guilty of negelcting droids in my fan fiction. I think it's because I can never get how they work or it could be that I concentrate alot on ailen characters as I find these fasincating and it gives me a chance to put animal behavour in my stories, which is one of my interests outside Star Wars.

• R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
      Besides 4-LOM, I have one OC droid, a female-programmed LE-series repair droid. Her uniqueness comes in that she's a bit bipolar, as is seen in this short excerpt:

Small sparks of electricity danced in the air from the newly bared wires and stung the evergreen hand which had released them. Doing his best to ignore them, Dorm pressed on in his work, trying to rewire fried circuits and bypass what disabled conduits he needed to get the rest of the ship?s systems operational. Glancing up from his work momentarily, his crested head lifted from the small entrance hatch and he watched as his droid assistant muttered to herself and kicked the console at which she worked. ?Is everything alright, Leda??

?This staggin?, vape wasted, rust bellied, slag heap! Work!? cursed the LE-series droid, bending down and working busily once more with her laser wrench. Somehow this didn?t instill the greatest sense of comfort in the Vurk mechanic.

?Is there anything I can help you with??

The droid?s voice seemed almost to change immediately, taking a sweet alto as she turned to her master, yellow photoreceptor cutting through the shadows. ?No, dear, but thank you all the same.?

----------------------------------

That's about all she's actually written in, save for her being mentioned several times. From one moment, she could be chewing the Captain's head off (for whom she is sometimes unexplainably hostile towards) and then be completely sweet to others, especially Dorm, her owner.

I have several other droids in the works, including an old HK eventually and a LOM and R3 combo in the story I'm working on now. Needless to say, droids will be well represented.

• CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
      I love to write droids, they are so much fun. I have only written Artoo, and Threepio once, but if I can find a way to fit them, then I usually try to include droids in all of my fan fics.

• GrUnT_HUNTER

GrUnT_HUNTER Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2004
      In my first story that I'm going to finish on this site, I have R1-D4, a little astromech droid.

R1-D4 has quirky personality because he lets the hyperdrive aboard the main characters' ship break down over time just so he can study it and figure out how to fix the malfunction next time. Janis, one of the main characters, gets angry at R1 about this.

The story is in its early stages and not much of R1 has been seen yet, but after playing Kotor and watching the movies, I think I can pull of R1's personality as more of a sidekick.

Of course, the story isn't told in first person, now that would be challenging, telling 1st person from a droid's point of view...

Here it is if anyone cares: http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/17937395/?8

R1 featured in the first post so far, so if you read it tell me how I pull off the droid's personality.

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.