main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Droids: The Adventures of R2-D2 and C-3PO

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Alabak, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well it's not even on D+ USA, and we tend to get these things earliest, so not surprised you guys don't have it yet.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    From what I can tell, Droids hasn't been announced for D+ US, but it's coming to several other markets on June 18th, so it's likely that that's when it'll be released in North America as well.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It was included in the original announcement, though nothing more specific than coming "later this year".

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Ah, yes, I meant that I couldn't find an announced release date for the US.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have been watching droids with my dogs and man it’s been fun

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's on Disney plus Canada right now! Gonna watch the Boba Fett episode

TCF-1138 likes this.
  7. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    The Vintage Collection is out in Sweden now, finally! [face_love]

A couple of things differ from the release announcement though - on the positive side, both Volumes of Clone Wars are there (the announcement specified Vol 1, but left out Vol 2), but unfortunately there's no sign of Droids yet.

8. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    We have Droids now in America, the full season and The Great Heep! So it should make its way overseas hopefully sometime this year.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 and TCF-1138 like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So the Droids show was structured as arcs, kinda like Beta-TCW? I jumped into the Boonta Classic episode 4 (for the Boba Fett, did not disappoint, he's way surly) but scrolling back it seems it's a 4-episode arc where Artoo and Threepio hook up with the speeder racers (and then bail at the end). Are the rest of them arcs or standalones? Great Heep is labeled as Season 2 but only one shot at 40 minutes I guess it was a double-sized episode that ended up being the finale or something.

The Droids labeled Boba Fett toy may or may not have been the one I had as a kid, obviously tossed the box but kept the Fett

[​IMG]

anyway worthwhile to have Droids on there just to hear "Trouble Again" all the time.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes. Which is why Droids, unlike Ewoks, worked so well as "movies" on the home-video releases, both on VHS and later on DVD.
    The show consisted of three arcs, which were -- according to Wikipedia -- titled "The Battle Against Sise Fromm" (episode 1-4), "The Pirates and the Prince" (one of the 'movies' on the DVD; episodes 5-8), and "Unchartered Space" (called "Treasure of the Hidden Planet" when released as a 'movie' on the DVD; episodes 10-13). Apart from these arcs you had episode 9, which was a relatively self-contained episode called Coby and the Starhunters; and The Great Heep, which was a one-hour special aired after the show had ended, but that works as a direct prequel to Unchartered Space.

Fun fact: the Mungo Baobab episodes (ep. 10-13) has a "story by" credit for Ben Burtt, and The Great Heep was written by Burtt. Burtt later appeared as Ebenn Q3 Baobab in The Phantom Menace.

my kind of scum and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I watched The Great Heep last night, holy cats, that thing is insane. Aside from Heep himself hollering the whole time, the butler droid (an actual butler-looking droid) serving up Artoo units, the Droid Harem is absolutely bonkers. Artoo's girlfriend droid and the fact that at one point there's a Droid chilling by the pool with sunglasses an umbrella drink reading "Play Droid".

Friggin 80s man.

No "Trouble Again" song though, that's a demerit point for sure.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  12. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm so, so happy that we finally have the Vintage Collection here. Too bad there's still no sign of Droids, even though it was supposed to have been released with the rest of it.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Droids is on there. In the US at least

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2021
  14. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, it's on there in some countries, but not in Sweden, where I am. We just got the Vintage Collection a few days ago, but not Droids.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Sounds about right since we got vintage a month or so ago and droids this past week

16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    The thing is that Droids was included in the announcement that we'd get the Vintage Collection. It's just... not there.

17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Started this, finished the White Witch arc. It's fun, and curious to see an expressive Threepio. I definitely dig the heavy 80s-ness, especially the liberal use of synth in the soundtrack. It's also a bit of a 180 coming off Ewoks which is so self-contained to get into a show with much deeper connective tissue to the greater SW universe.

BigAl6ft6 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Um... According to a Swedish site that's generally reliable, we're getting Droids this month, only... season 2 will air with a new episode each week.

What the hell?!

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  19. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    I just watched the series on Disney+ using a VPN, and it´s amazing, is totally remastered, never looked better, waaaaay better than the DVDs, and it´s using the old score, unlike the DVD that has a new score and even some extra scenes (the Mungo Baobab arc had a prologue in the DVD).
    Really digging how clear it looks, the Moebius inspired backgrounds look way more beautyful than the versions on youtube.
    I´ll share the intro so you can see.

20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    For a brief moment I thought we might get a season 2, but alas, I think I've figured it out.
    I believe it's a misunderstanding, as technically, the made-for-TV movie The Great Heep was produced as "season 2 episode 1", and the site I got info from probably just misunderstood that, and figured there would be more episodes in season 2 coming later.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So gone back to watch the first few episodes, although as mentioned I did watch the Boba Fett one and the Great Heep first. I do think the remastered quality is super-neat to see. As crazy as Great Heep is, there is one moment in there that where it looks like Threepio is crying when he thinks Artoo is destroyed which, as wonky as the rules are in Droids sure why not, but it turns out it's actually raining. Oddly, kind of a great use of droid logic rules in Star Wars and it's in the Great Heep Droids of all things.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That trick was used in an old Marvel SW comic from the 80s as well - rain forming tears on Threepio's cheeks. Interesting.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm slowly working my way through, but this show's so ****ing weird, I love it. It's also surprisingly progressive with its use of not only strong female characters but strong POC characters as well.

my kind of scum and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    Just finished the series this morning. I've been watching it on Disney+. It offers a very good romp around the galaxy, I've got to say. I really liked each of the story arcs. My favourite episodes were the ones involving Mungo Baobab.

I also really enjoyed the Boba Fett cameo and seeing General Grevious' speederbike. It's surprising how much this obscure animated series inspired elements from the prequels (e.g. the Boonta Eve Classic in TPM).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  25. Prequelfan93

Prequelfan93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    I still have a two sided DVD of this show i got at Toys R. Us back in 2004 i used to love this show as a kid because R2D2 and C3Po were two of my favorite characters. I recently have been re-watching this show again after so many years re-watching it years later as a adult it doesn't really hold up that well but its not completely horrible either its just okay.