main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DT's FreedomCon

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wraith_009

Wraith_009 Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    Hmm decktech's reasons for holding the event lesse..

DecipherCon was Cancelled many players unable to refund their tickets.. 1. helping those people

People who put days and days towards qualifying for the worlds and were told yeah screw you we've got to cover ourselves.
    2. Making that time worth while

3. Giving people a chance to have lots of fun, with tons of other people and having a chance to win some sweet prizes

4. Supporting a Charity..now if you have a problem with this you're a nutcase

There are many more good reasons why Fcon is being held and the negatives just aren't there.

And if you have a problem about who's sponsoring their event, well just remember they went to Decipher first they said no, sorry we can't support this.. so they went to the SWFC and they pulled through.

The people at decktech disagreed with Decipher's reasons for cancelling Dcon so they came through as well.

To sidetrack for a moment who wouldn't have a problem with decipher's reasoning.. oh Janet Jackson cancelled her European tour... see the keyword there European tour.. is Dcon in Europe no.. have you seen any big names completely cancel any north american tours.... I haven't.. it's just foolish posturing by decipher.

Decktech isn't saying screw you to decipher, they are saying how could you, and to figurativly put it after decipher hit the players from behind, and decktech helped them back up.

2. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    It must be understood that one of the MAIN reasons Decipher cannot support F-con is because it is calling itself a "World Championship". It doesn't matter how many times DT says it is unoffical blah blah blah. DT is making F-con a "World Championship" atmosphere and thus Decipher can't support them and we're talking legal issues here. I believe Artie-D said it on the DT's site--or somewhere--that this was the principle reason for Friday's "annoucement". Legally Decipher is making it clear that they are not recognizing it as in an official World Championship of any kind. If they sent support to F-con, and I mean ANYTHING, it could look like Decipher IS recognizing it as such and the winners of the event could position themselves to get the original prize money that D was going to give out.

3. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Red84,

Yes, Shannon's website originally had FreedomCon posted, and has now removed it. I've also shared emails with her webmaster which makes it even more clear. She's not going to FreedomCon. Folks, Shannon is taking this VERY seriously, and is pursuing LEGAL ACTION. Against whom, specifically, I do not know.

Mawhonic,

TJ didn't post that because he would have said it to her face? Well, those comments in her guestbook sure seem to be directed AT HER personally, and whoever posted them doesn't seem to be hiding behind DT's name. I've yet to see any evidence that TJ did not post that message ... including any sort of message from TJ himself. The most I've gotten is an email from David Akers saying he doesn't know WHO posted that message, it could have been TJ, or it could have been someone else. Sorry, that just doesn't persuade me very much.

Wraith,

I personally could care less whether DeckTech holds FreedomCon or not. But what I care about is their "in-your-face" attitude about it and their conceit at labeling it a "World Championship" event (both of which I've described elsewhere on this thread). As I said on the DT website, their intentions may be selfless and noble, but the result is to potentially drive a wedge in the SW:CCG player base.

Oh, and before I forget, I played LOTR this weekend, and I think it is a great game.

4. Wraith_009

Wraith_009 Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    I don't see how this will drive a wedge in the SWCCG community, the person who wins freedomcon will be recognized as the world champion by the majority, I doubt their will be many disputes (I think they SHOULD of called it a Players Championship but whatever) Sure the fact that D shunned Fcon and is helping Tulsacon like crazy is some sort of wedge making but that's all Decipher not Decktech.

And yeah LOTR is pretty cool

5. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Wraith,

That's exactly what I mean by "conceit":

the person who wins freedomcon will be recognized as the world champion by the majority

Who says? Who says the majority of SW:CCG players will recognize the FreedomCon winner as the "World Champion"?

I think DeckTech believes they represent the majority of the SW:CCG community, but I (and others) do not believe that.

In fact, Decipher themselves will not (because they can not) declare the FreedomCon winner the "World Champion". If Decipher is not going to declare them the World Champion, why should we?

But DeckTech believes they should be able to crown a "World Champion". That's conceit, especially when coupled with an in-your-face attitude.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Shannon's website has updated with a message from her regarding the comments and her reasons for cancelling her appearance at f-con.

7. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    Um, for those of us who have been out the scene for a while with other things
    could someone put up a few links, say shannon's site, and decktechs site as well

EDIT: I found it, but bloody opera won't load, stupid IE specific style sheets

move along, nothing to see here

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think one of Red's posts on page 1 of this thread has the link.

9. Jedikynes

Jedikynes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2001
    If I remember correctly there was a link for shannon's site with the Kessel Run thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.