main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DUNE - Looks like Hollywood's gonna try again...

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by BobaMatt, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I'd be fine with that, just so long as they stay away from casting William Hurt as Duke Sleepo. :p

My pick for Duke Leto would be Patrick Stewart.

2. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Nah, he should be Gurney again :p

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'd pick either Timothy Dalton or Viggo Mortensen for Leto.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Why? He hardly had any lines?

5. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    But the way he delivered the lines, and his presense on screen, made him perfect for Gurney Halleck.

For Duke Leto...hmmm...tough one there...mostly cause Jurgen Prochnow is the only person I can picture as Leto, and William Hurt was horrid, to say the least...

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I disagree. I think Patrick Stewart would be much better as Duke Leto than Gurney. He's not grizzeled enough to play a character like Gurney. I'd cast Stewart as Leto and Edward James Olmos as Gurney.

7. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    Whoa.
    Patric Stewart and Edward James Olmos in the same movie together.
    Playing those roles.

...that would be AWESOME!!

Granted, though, that the coollest scene ever was the one from the original Dune where Gurney and Paul are walking down the steps of the throneroom wearing those exquisite Stillsuits, with that air of dignified, confident, triumphant nobility just pouring off them. Stewart as Gurney was the BEST. Amazing since he was bald with long hair and yet he looked so damned cool!!!
    Deadliest thing on two legs, second only to Paul; terrible balladier, patheticly incompetent poet.
    Would I have said that to his face?
    Nope.
    I'd have applauded just like everyone else.

Sorry I'm rambling.

I wish I knew what to think of the possibility of this new remake.....

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I see it as a chance to get something right.

Oh, and Cillian Murphy as Piter DeVries, plz. And Dame Judy Dench as the Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam.

Shameless plug!! Don't know if anyone here gets to the RPF ever, but I've just launched my Dune RP over there after about a month of planning with a few other RPers. Check it out!

9. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Fail.

Double fail, actually.

This film's going downhill before it's even started rolling.

10. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    more Toto soundtrack, please.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I could go along with those. How about John Malkovic as Baron Harkonen and Ray Winestone as Beast Rabban?

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    John Malkovich in intense fat makeup. And don't forget Brendan Gleeson as Gurney Halleck.

13. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Paul - an unknown
    Leto - Liam Neeson
    Jessica - Catherine Zeta Jones
    Shaddam - Ian McKellen
    Baron - ready for this? Jim Carrey
    Duncan - Mark Wahlberg
    Gurney - Jon Voigt
    Feyd - Vin Diesel
    Rabban - The Rock (Dwyane Johnson)
    Irulan - Scarlett Johannson
    Chani - an unknown
    Stilgar - Jean Reno
    Reverend Mother - Sigourney Weaver

14. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Good ideas, except for the fact that Jim Carrey would probably have to put on about 200 pounds...

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    And he doesn't know how to play bad guys. If you want proof go watch his performance as Count Olaf in A Series of Unfortunate Events. He spent the whole movie trying to be funny, as opposed to being evil.

16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm with you for like, half that list, JediMarine...

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    The other thing I'd do is keep The Rock far away from this project, but Vin Diesel could work very well Beast Rabban.

18. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    If they can use Sting for Feyd in the 80s, you can easily use the Rock for Rabban, of all characters.

I think Vin Diesel would be a terrible Rabban...I don't think he can be so outwardly sadistic...I think The Rock has played that up many times...Diesel always comes off as a collected fury...a quiet strength...that's not what you want for Rabban.

As to Carrey...mix in the maturity of a decade since he did stuff like Batman forever and Cable Guy...I think he brings just enough fang to the table...as to the weight...a combination of prosthetics, his own bulk up, and a careful wardrobe could handle that...neither live action depiction has gotten him right before (I took him as more physicially challenged by his weight then as a guy floating to the ceiling...need a more Jabba "i need antigrav to keep the flab from tripping my feet and crushing the bones in my legs" sort of thing)...so baring that...I think they can make any rendition work.

the others were carefully weighed.

Paul - should be an unknown because I honestly cannot think of a young star to do it, and bringing someone new to the forefrunt just seems like a good idea...I also think they should try for "younger" then both previous versions have...early 20s at the oldest.

Leto - Liam channeling his Qui-Gon with a touch of Ra's Al Ghul...I also considered him for Shaddam.

Jessica - I can think of no one better then Catherine Zeta Jones...can you?

Shaddam - McKellen is a hedge just because he is so widely known in the circles in which Dune will be seen...but I think he could bring a "competence" to the character and a menace neither previous version could. Other contenders could include Neeson, Patrick Stewart (though I doubt he'd do a remake of something he's already been apart of), others if you went a touch younger looking (perhaps a bit of hair and makeup) would be Stellan Skarsgård or Gary Oldman.

Duncan - I picked Wahlberg not because I'm big on him...but because I think he can be equal parts capable and "average joe"...which is ideally what Duncan should be...underestimated in appearance. truthfully, I think Donny Wahlberg might do a good job too...and he could bring a little more "weary experience" look to the role then Marky Mark. Another I'd consider here could be Christian Bale...but the world doesn't need him in everything.

Gurney - I hate Jon Voigt...but for whatever reason, his name kept appearing in bright lights as I was doing this...older...i could see him as being close to Neeson...I could also see him as dutifully loyal to Paul and Jessica. Perhaps the only major hickup would be he might be too old. Another candidate I'd toss out would be Will Patton(bit younger).

Edit: Just thought of another possible for Gurney - Dennis Quaid.

Feyd - Vin would be great...collected rage...bring "Riddick" into the role "sans" the underlying justice quotient...yeah...he could be great...and you'd finally have a live action feyd where you aren't going "what's with the fuss over this guy?"...another one I thought of was Jason Statham, but I think he's much too old...especially in contrast to Rabban.

Irulan - oh come on...Scarlett Johansson...who's gonna argue with this? As long as she hasn't starved herself to death by the time their filming. Elisha Cuthbert, Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley also contenders.

Stilgar - Reno is too good to pass up, but Statham could work here too (he'd be "young" for this role and "old" for Feyd...go figure)

Reverend Mother - It screams for Sigourney Weaver...an aging beauty leading the lethal concubines of tomorrow! 2 other names not so good...Jamie Lee Curtis and Susan Sarandon (yeah, her Children of Dune stint kind of ruins it...but I could probably get past it.)

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Only thing is it's at odds with Beast's description in the books. I was thinking more along the lines of Nick Frost.

Now the Rock as that Atreides gladiator...
    I'm actually intrigued by this choice.

What do we think of Robbie Coltrane?
    This I can get behind.
    This I like, too. Hell, I also like him for Shaddam - yeah, he destroyed the Atreides, but he seemed more quietly pensive in Irulan's descriptions of him.
    I think we run into questions again about the description in the books - CZJ would look funny with red hair because of her complexion, etc. I'm in love with the woman, but I don't think she looks the part.

Then again, I didn't think Heath Ledger looked the part of the Joker, either.
    Jeremy Irons?
    Benicio Del Toro. Or Joaquin Phoenix.
    Blasphemy. :p
    Dennis Quaid's too pretty (I like him as Leto, though, or even Duncan). Will Patton's an interesting choice. I'm still down for my boy Brendan Gleeson in this role, though.

20. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Go from loveable Hagrid to horrible Harkonnen...maybe...but it's almost too predictable..."hey...let's run out the heavy guys in the industry and screen test them all!" I think moreover, I want to see sfx to create the disgusting form of the Baron...so the guy being big in reality doesn't worry me so much.

I'm pretty sure she's had red highlights before (Entrapment, perhaps?) Unless you call on Julianne Moore, finding a true redhead is going to be hard to come by. I'd settle for watching Catherine for 2 hours in contradiction to novelized accounts...that one won't break my heart.

Absolutely Not...the man is becoming a punchline to ruin sci-fi. He's like the Lance Henriksen of today. I honestly like him in 90% of what he does...but whenever he takes a turn in something "fantasical" he mucks it up!

Could See them both as Harkonnen...especially Phoenix...perhaps even as Feyd.
    But definitely not Duncan.

Actually, I could see Portman doing it just because it would help break some of that "she's the Prequel girl" thing...with the exception of V, she really hasn't had too much in the way of "break out" from that...the art/indie stuff is not going to change the perception of her by the masses until she did something like Dune...and suddenly she's not just Padme in other roles anymore.

She skipped on Pirates of the Caribbean...she'd be foolish to blow it again.

21. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    True, but there's just something about big lovable Hagrid being cast as a pederast that seemed too good to pass up.
    You win.

We just need him to tone down the cartoonishness.
    I think my larger concern is that, what with her features and complexion, she reads more Fremen to me.

Carla Gugino?
    I actually wasn't aware he did much scifi. It's not as if there aren't plenty of old men around to play this role, though...
    Meh...Duncan was supposed to be darkly handsome. The more I think about this the more I like him as Duncan.
    i]Pirates of the Caribbean[/i]...she'd be foolish to blow it again.

22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm closely following your casting ideas, fellas. I must say for the most part you're spot-on. I do think Vin Diesel is too old to play Feyd; someone younger with that degree of presence and martial skill would be better. Also, the Rock is a really cheesy actor, and I'd have to be convinced he could pull off Rabban. But Sigourney Weaver as the Rev. Mother is perfect -- she's in her 60s by now, and with some age make-up and an "older" performance she's exactly right.

That said, for me this is all speculation, since I think the SF series was damn fine and does not need to be re-visited.

23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    NICK FROST AS BEAST!
    [image=http://www.getfrank.co.nz/assets/images/_resampled/ResizedImage368450-Nick_Frost.jpg]

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    What about Nathan Fillion for Duncan? He has fan appeal after Firefly.

Lena Heady for Jessica.

I like the suggestion of Reno for Stilgar, but I have to offer Daniel Craig as an alternative - he's got the eyes.

I think I've suggested Eva Green for Chani before, but I still think she would work.

I really like the suggestion of Weaver for the Reverend Mother.

No one would be a creepier Baron than Michael Jackson - that voice alone... [face_worried] :p

25. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Interesting.
    You win.
    He's also Aryan as a mother****er. Doesn't work.
    Interesting. I like Jessica Alba's look - she sounds like Siona, from the later books - but she's a damnably bad actress.
    With age makeup, yes.
    I retract your earlier win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.