main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

DUNE - Looks like Hollywood's gonna try again...

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by BobaMatt, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I really dislike the idea of The Rock playing Beast Rabban. The reason I like the idea of Vin Diesel in this role is partially because of his voice. The deep, gutteral sound of his voice makes him sound very animal-like. It also gives the impression, to me at least, that he's not very bright, which fits with Rabban because Rabban ISN'T very bright and as a result the Baron keeps him on a short leash, so the air of contained fury works to Diesel's advantage because all his character wants to do is run around and slaughter Fremen.

A few other names for the role of Shaddam who might be good are Christopher Plummer, Hugo Weaving and Christopher Lee.

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Yes on Plummer!

No more Weaving or Lee...PLEASE!

Edit: Also...if they could get him out of "retirement"...Sean Connery.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Hell, yes. Sean Connery as Gurney or Stilgar, I don't care which, would totally own.

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    :facepalm!:

Plummer is awesome. I also forgot Billy Crudup for Duncan. [link=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004912/]Oded Fehr[/link] from [The Mummy needs to play a Fremen of some kind, and while we're at it we can take [link=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0903677/]Arnold Vosloo[/link] as Stilgar and Brendan Fraser as another possible Duncan, not to mention Rachel Weisz as Jessica.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. I could see Oded Fehr playing a Fremen and I like the idea of Arnold Voslo playing Stilgar, but seriously, Brendan Fraser as Duncan? I have a hard time seeing that. I also like the idea of Rachael Weisz as Jessica and I think Rosario Dawson could work well as Chani.

6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Meh...Fraser's about the right age, handsome and pretty built, and has some acting chops in him. He's not as ideal as Joaquin, but...

Also don't forget that Duncan dies pretty early on.

Unless they do sequels... [face_devil]

7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Okay.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20w-nuLcneU&feature=related]Sean Bean as Duncan plz.[/link]

8. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    Jason Statham's been mentioned before, but I think he'd be perfect as Gurney. If he's too young, then give him some aging makeup.

9. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    So I was watching something on television this weekend live...it gets harder and harder to do as they try anything to trick you into watching commercials...

anyway...saw a commercial for one of these chick shows...but saw lots and lots of red hair.

For BobaMatt, and anyone else desperate to keep the Lady Jessica close to description.

I give you:

[link=http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4261124864/nm0005226]Debra Messing[/link]

10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    How desperate do you think I am? :p

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Not THAT desperate.

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Marcia Cross on the other hand...

13. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    ..is uglier then a wart on a frog on a log in the hole at the bottom of the lake?

...is a case-in-point for plastic surgery to be declared a controlled substance?

...can't play anything but a psycho because she really can't act, she just wanders the set and answers to whatever name catches her fancy?

Seriously...man-cards could be on the line if that "..." strays too far from sarcastic or humorous.

She registers somewhere on the plot map between "creepy" and "crazy"...and no...not "sexy-crazy"...I mean "serve you a raw horse head for dinner-crazy".

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Haha...yeah, I was riffing on the Deborah Messing thing, there, though I'm concerned with your man-points for knowing so much about her. To comment on her acting you'd have had to..watch her show, right?

I just think CZJ doesn't fit for a variety of reasons. A blonde with a dye-job could play Jessica...maybe even a brunette - I mentioned Rachel Weisz - it's just that CZJ looks awfully exotic, which is not what we were offered in the novel.

And if there's supposed to be a visual separation between Caladan and sunkissed Arrakis, CZJ would seem to fit into the world of the latter.

15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    How do we get Alfred Molina in on this?

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't know, but he'd be good in just about any role he's given,

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Liet Kynes?

18. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    One of the Mentats or perhaps Baron Harkonnen.

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Oh, that's right: the reason I thought of him in the first place was for Thufir Hawat or Gurney.

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I heard someone suggest Daniel Radcliffe as Paul...rather they were saing they didn't want him as Paul.

I think we could do a lot worse.

21. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    By the time they shoot this...he's too old.

at least for what I'm expecting.

With the lure of Hollywood to toss kids into things all over the place, you'd think they'd jump at the chance to put a young new comer in a role like that.

But probably not...and the boy messiah of Dune will once again be a stubbled 20 something.

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Actually, Berg's purported sense of the story doesn't go along with that. He seems to be interested in the idea of a "kid" becoming a leader...

23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Matt, I like what you said on page one... stop pretending the Fremen are Arabs in space. It's pretty explicit and I think the religious angle needs to be explored in this or the whole thing with Paul and the Kwizatz Haderach is pointless. I loved those little touches in the Sci-Fi mini-series. There's a shot of the city the morning after the Atredies arrive on Arrakis where you can here the Muslim call to prayer being recited and then there's the part where they are riding through town and the people see Paul and start chanting "Mahdi, Mahdi" and that's absolutely important to why Paul becomes who he becomes. These Fremen, these Zensunni Wanderer descendents, see Paul as the prophesied Mahdi who will fill the world with justice as it is currently filled with tyranny.

I mean, Shaddam is the Padishah Emperor... the entire empire is essentially Persian inspired.

My favorite part of Dune is the Appendix...

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'd like to have the Fenrings back in...

25. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Did anyone ever get a chance to see the trailer for that Dune fanfilm BH and KJA pissed on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.