main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Dust of Empire (H/L/L/Imperial OCs). **COMPLETE** Author Replies Up 2/22!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GrandAdmiralV, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    [face_thinking]It sounds as if, going on what Souderwan is saying, you used neutron radiation as your weapon then you would have to find a way to replace all the water on the planet, too. Perhaps pull an ice comet through there. Anyway, you do know we are here for the story, right GAV? It's not often I like a story well enough to indulge in the "whys" and "hows".

2. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Actually, Z, the water would ultimately be fine. While the water would indeed get ionized (in fact you'd probably make quite a bit of hydrogen in the process), most of it recombines fairly quickly so that you end up with no harm done to the water on the planet. It's the damage that the charged particles produced while the Hydrogen and Oxygen are ionized under the radiation flux that destroys cells. Sorry for more technobabble. :-B You'll have to forgive my inherent geekiness here. [face_blush]

3. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    :-B You'll have to forgive my inherent geekiness here.[face_blush]

Souderwan, must have missed that rule in the TOS! ;)

I'm just thrilled that this fic is here and I'm sure that you two will bug her to no end until she explains all to your satisfaction, just so long as it doesn't bore the rest of us! :p

4. Darth_Scroobius

Darth_Scroobius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Okay, so it turns out there is neutron radiation, and I deserve a fair bit of scorn for going off memory and not using Google. Oops.

It should be noted, however, that neutron radiation is easily absorbed by light particles such as hydrogen and a star is composed primarily of hydrogen atoms. So it would have kind of a hard time getting out of the star. As the Soud-ster said:

That all being said, it's all techno-babble in the end. Your weapon wroks on the surface and only the truly nerdy (like myself) would find too much fault with it, so go forth and write! happy Next time you're thinking of radiation, just make something up--muon radiation or something (which is rooted in some real science but no one knows what the effects might be).

My standby for any weird process is gravitons. No one can even prove those puppies exist, so they can do anything you want! Like help explain how the Death Star works *cough* *cough*. In this case, my personal theory for how the scientists managed to induce a spectrum shift in the star is by emitting gravitons into the core. Then... (skip a few steps) ...neutron radiation in mass quantities!

Also, I want to be clear on the tongue-in-cheekiness of all my nerdy discussions here. I'm not really criticizing poor GrandAdmiralV, just giving her a hard time. I tried very hard to put a faux-intellectual tone in my previous post that I want to make sure everyone notices. Especially the faux part.

5. GrandAdmiralV

GrandAdmiralV Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2005
    [face_laugh] Luckily, there are no Delta Gammas in my family...bunch of Kappas and Tri Delts (shudder). I am proud to say that I managed to avoid the whole Greek thing despite familial pressure.

I've always had a thing for the plague. Don't know why. In college I had a fabulous professor for molecular biology who made diseases so much fun...so I appreciate your love for influenza type A.

And I wouldn't worry about spamming my thread -- everyone else is (including me!).

Oy...I'm surrounded by nerds. But thanks for backing me up, Souderwan. Muon. I like it. Do I need to worry about gluons, too? ;)

I would LOVE to do cover art for you! Canoodling in Photoshop helps me when I'm not in the mood to write. At least it's doing something semi-creative. I'm not sure I could teach you -- if you're really interested you should take a class in Photoshop at your local JC, or you could just pick up the program and start playing with it. I'm entirely self-taught, other than a couple of seminars I got to go to because of my work. I find a lot of my images through Yahoo image search and go from there.
    I'm just waiting to see how they pick apart my fight scenes. :eek:

6. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Scroobius:

I think everyone knows that you are just giving her a hard time. I enjoy reading your reviews and banter. This is now one of my fave threads not only because of the story but also the "grown-up" discussions that take place. I love them!

GAV: So, when is the next post?

7. GrandAdmiralV

May 30, 2005
    I don't know whether I should be worried that you think our discussions here are "grown up." ;) But I'm glad you're enjoying yourself!

In answer to your second question, here it is:

Chapter Four

Eight hours out from Alsinde. Viraess looked away from the chronometer and stared through the viewport at the stars that bled past, distorted by her hyperspace passage. She was headed far beyond the Core, out into the Expansion region, where most planetary governments were in constant flux, and the Empire that had once been knitted into the infrastructure of those worlds had been torn away by civil war and endless political maneuvering. It was an area where the New Republic had been attempting for some time to extend its control, with little success. Most worlds in the region seemed to be turning in on themselves, no longer interested in being part of a great, galaxy-wide whole.

Alsinde itself was now under the control of a provisional government headed by a planetary council. The briefing data Kezler had provided for her stated that Alsinde had been controlled by no fewer than six such provisional governments over the past ten years, and that the planetary economy was now in total collapse. Alsinde's Imperial governor had been assassinated some nine standard months after the Empire began to shatter apart following the Battle of Endor; it was only after he was gone that the citizens of Alsinde began to realize perhaps he had been the lesser evil.

Viraess wondered why Markus had chosen such a place in which to hole up. True, with the planetary government in such turmoil, strangers passing through were less likely to be subjected to any intense scrutiny. Also, with Alsinde's economy in its present bad shape, the owner of the hostel where Markus had hidden himself was probably happy enough to be getting any kind of hard currency to refrain from asking questions. Besides, Alsinde was an approximate midpoint between Markus' abandoned research station on Xy'rie IV and the New Republic capital on Coruscant. Perhaps he was just biding his time, waiting to see what fallout there was from his failed experiment before he made his next move.

Well, she would know soon enough. In less than eight hours she would be down on Alsinde, going to see a man with whom she had not spoken for more than ten years, a man who had no reason to think anything but ill of her. She'd rehearsed the story over in her mind so many times the past few days she almost believed it herself-she'd ended up on Alsinde after chartering in an independent study panel to make recommendations on the planet's economy; she'd heard through some of her sources about Markus' situation, but no one knew where he'd gone to. No, obviously she wasn't in the Imperial fleet any longer, but that was a long story, so how about sitting down and having a drink and talking things over?

She sighed, then leaned back in her comfortable pilot's chair, feeling the pliant softness of it beneath her tense limbs. There was no guarantee he wouldn't tell her to go to hell the minute he first saw her. He certainly had reason to-not that his neglect had been her fault. She'd faithfully answered every letter he ever sent her, but then she no longer heard from him and hadn't dared to attempt to contact him herself. She had known better than to try that.

Shutting her eyes, Viraess saw again the bleak, coldly lit corridors of Carida Academy, and remembered the chill she had felt from the first moment she set foot in the facility. The training staff believed an ambient temperature lower than that which most humans found comfortable indoors sharpened the mind and kept the cadets alert. She had always been cold there, brain an

8. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    The depth that you've added to Viraess is really excellent. The "transaction" with Com. Matteson was unnerving to say the least. Ew... Such a predator... Ew... There's no doubt that Viraess is one tough cookie.

Markus's run in with the intelligence goon was also a very well crafted scene. You've got the physicality of it all down to an art. What's interesting is that structurally that very violent scene meshed well with the previous flashbacks between Matteson and Viraess. The tension built up having to watch Viraess being taken advantage of was partially released watching Markus kick some butt.

As always, outstanding work!

Oh, one last thing...
    I like the details regarding the temperature at the Academy. That was great.

9. Darth_Scroobius

Jun 1, 2005
    darth scroobius
    declares week of
    review in haiku

Most worlds in the region seemed to be turning in on themselves, no longer interested in being part of a great, galaxy-wide whole.

galaxy-wide whole
    more like
    galaxy-wide hole

The briefing data Kezler had provided for her stated that Alsinde had been controlled by no fewer than six such provisional governments over the past ten years, and that the planetary economy was now in total collapse.

six governments
    ten years
    sounds french

The training staff believed an ambient temperature lower than that which most humans found comfortable indoors sharpened the mind and kept the cadets alert.

cold academy
    stunt their growth
    like imperial japan

(Note: I have to break character to explain this one. The Imperial Japanese officer's academy took boys in at age 12 or so, and trained them up in the mountains, forcing them to run bare-chested every day and feeding them poorly. This was to "toughen them up" but it had the added effect of stunting their growth. Their average height was 5'4", shorter than the enlisted men average!)

?If you had bothered to look at my files, sir,? she snapped, ?you would know the answer to that question.?

bothered to look
    cadet viraess
    quite the mouth

?Your way here would be smoothed,? he said. ?No more misrepresented marks. No more instructors disregarding you merely because of your sex. No more harassment from your fellow students. Is it so large a price to pay for the security of graduating well, and starting off your career in the manner you wish??

no more harassment
    submit to harassment
    she chose poorly

At any rate, Markus was able to slip into the creaking elevator -- the hostel was too poor to afford a turbolift -- and go to his room, where he hurriedly stuffed his few belongings into his duffel.

elevator
    turbo-lift
    is there a difference

grandadmiralv
    proud of me
    no techie-crit

10. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Ginormous post! It's really late where I am, so I promise I'll come back to read it. :D But I just wanted to say that I love all the nerdy discussion in here. It's all so interesting, even if I don't quite understand the finer details. I'm the kind of person who gets more out of watching "Clueless" than reading Emma. :p But it's like a geeky addendum to the story - adds to it without stuffing it full of details.

11. BobaFanGirl

BobaFanGirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2005
    I really liked how you handled the flashback. It's just more of the character development you're so good at. And it's not even that far-fetched, judging from some of the news stories I've heard about what went on at our own air force academy. :eek:

Also, it's kind of cool that Markus isn't just a wimpy scientiest -- the action scene was well done. Now I'm really hoping he and Viraess might hook back up at some point.

Thanks -- keep those updates flowing!

12. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I literally froze and stared at the screen when the Matteson put his hands on her shoulder! :eek:

I know I hate the fact that she gave in to his advances but it tells so much about her character! I've given up any hope that she might not betray her man in the end. She's an Empire loyalist to the very end, isn't she? Poor Markus! [face_worried]

Fantastic work, GAV! Hopefully, I won't be too far behind when I get back! See you in a week!

13. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Goodness! Updates galore. :D

Chapter 3

I was going to say Catherine Zeta-Jones. The covers are very cool. 2nd one gets my vote.

I absolutely LOVE Kezler & Viraess.

Chapter 4
    Wonderful flashback. You just sneaked it right in...that's a gift!

This is my gripe with the Empire, it 'irks' me that poor Viraess was even subjected to the sexual bias on Carida. Some say that Admiral Daala was Tarkin's toy too (although she was happy to be? ;) ). Nice parallel in mirroring that the dark side to the Academy. The flashback added even more depth to this great OC.

Loving it. Wanting more.

14. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Wow! What a riveting post. I couldn't help but cringe when Viraess decided that her personal honor would hurt only her, and thus accepted the Commodore's deal. And yet in a way, it makes sense - she loves the Empire more than she loves herself. Empire over Markus, Empire over her body. And in choosing the Empire, she also chooses to uphold her family's honor.

But it still sucks that she was forced into that position. :mad: :(

[face_laugh] That is just brilliant. Clearly, Markus is a nerd. :p

15. GrandAdmiralV

May 30, 2005
    Um...yes...I meant to do that. ;) I never thought of it that way, but you know -- you're absolutely right!

[face_laugh] So...are you insinuating that France was a wee bit unstable during the 19th century?

My bad. I meant to say "repulsorlift."

Ooh...I love it when I can get that sort of a reaction out of a reader! And hey...you never know...she might have a change of heart. Then again, this is being written by Queen Grand Pessimist of the Universe, so....

I just love messing with you!

[face_love] I love them too.

Yes, I was trying to avoid the heavy-handed flashback technique, but of course what happened to her on Carida is very important for ye olde character development.

There should be more on Wednesday, I think.

I know this is a serious subject, but I got all sorts of terrible mental images when I read about Viraess being forced into "that position." Sorry, my mind is in the gutter. :eek:

16. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    I am not forgetting you! This is just one of my fave stories and I don't want to have to rush through the post.... I'll get here, though, don't worry!

17. Darth_Scroobius

Jun 1, 2005
    So...are you insinuating that France was a wee bit unstable during the 19th century?

Not just the 19th century. What I specifically had in mind was the twenty-four(!:eek:!) changes in government between 1930 and 1940. Not only am I an engineering nerd, I am also a history nerd.

And hey...you never know...she might have a change of heart. Then again, this is being written by Queen Grand Pessimist of the Universe, so....

I just love messing with you!

Good work on this one. You covered all bases such that no real information leaked out, but you gave the appearance of an answer. Nice. Also, instead of the word "pessimist" I myself prefer to be called a "realist" since there is no difference between the two.

I know this is a serious subject, but I got all sorts of terrible mental images when I read about Viraess being forced into "that position." Sorry, my mind is in the gutter.

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] That made me literally laugh out loud. Let's just say that you're not the only one.

18. GrandAdmiralV

May 30, 2005
    Ah! My modern history is a little weak (my major was medieval history...lemme tell you how useful that was in the job market). But since I've been researching France in the late 19th century for a Phantom of the Opera fic, I guess that's what I fixated on. But really...twenty-four changes in government in a decade? Well, then, they deserved to get invaded by the Germans. :p

I'm glad I was able to master some double-speak. Maybe I should look for a job in government....

Well, Scroob, I'm glad I was able to get you to laugh at that one. Maybe I should start a new Dirty Mind Brigade over here. [face_thinking]

P.S. Before anyone gets on my case about the crack about France, let me just state that I am actually a big fan of France, the French language, and the French people. I love France. But even I can recognize overkill when I see it. :cool:

19. BobaFanGirl

Aug 10, 2005
    You guys are bad....

Now I'm going to have all sorts of horrible mental images. :eek:

More soon, please? You mentioned Wednesday? [face_batting]

20. GrandAdmiralV

May 30, 2005
    Ask, and ye shall receive. ;)

Chapter Five

?What do you mean, there?s a curfew on?? Viraess planted her hands on her hips and glared at the spaceport official who had met her at the base of the [i]Morning Star[/i]?s loading ramp.

The man shifted his weight, then tugged at the hem of his too-tight jacket. It bore the words ?Alsinde Port Authority? bravely embroidered across the left breast. Perhaps the jacket had once been more reputable-looking, but it, like the spaceport itself, was now threadbare and a little ragged. ?I mean, Mistress and Captain,? he replied, ?that following the food riots, the provisional government has instituted a dusk-to-dawn curfew within the city limits of Orlende proper.?

?So what do you propose I do?? she demanded, feeling vaguely ridiculous. To have come all this way, with the authority of the Empire behind her, only to be stopped by this shabby little man and his preposterous local edicts!

?We recommend that all pilots landing after dusk remain with their ships until morning.? He seemed unable to meet her outraged stare, his pale blue gaze shifting toward the ground at her feet. ?In the morning you will be free to go about your business.?

?My business, I regret, cannot wait until morning,? she snapped, then clenched her teeth slightly, forcing herself to remain calm. ?Surely there is some sort of arrangement that can be worked out?? And she let her hand rest ever so briefly on the pouch at her waist, letting him hear the faint jingle of hard currency within.

?Well ?? he began, the lines of his face brightening slightly. ?In certain circumstances, persons with important business to conduct may go about at night, in the company of a member of the Security Police.?

?Oh,? Viraess said, then frowned. What good would it do her to go meet Markus with a member of the local police force tagging along? But she had to go to see him, and since he had been here for some time, perhaps he would find it stranger if she didn?t appear with a member of the security force in tow. She didn?t like the idea, but the important thing, after all, was to get there.

So she manufactured a smile and handed a fifty-credit piece to the man who waited before her. He took it from her quickly, as if he were not quite sure she wouldn?t change her mind. Then he led her to the main spaceport office, where she was handed off to a slightly better-uniformed, tough-looking woman who asked where Viraess was heading.

?The Orenian,? she replied, naming the hostel where Markus was staying.

The police officer looked unimpressed. ?This way.?

Viraess followed her out of the building to a half-empty parking lot, where the female officer indicated that she get into the passenger seat of a waiting hovercar with the security shield logo of the local police force barely visible on its faded paint. The vehicle started with a coughing whine, then hiccupped its way out of the parking area and into the empty streets. The security officer piloted it in silence, her hostility toward Viraess as thick and palpable as the stink of piled garbage in the warm air.

Apparently there was some sort of strike on; through the glare of the harsh street lighting Viraess could see the heaps of refuse that lurked in alleyways and street corners and gutters. She would not allow herself to wrinkle her nose?she was sure the police officer would take any outward sign of disgust toward the conditions as a personal insult?but Viraess did admit to herself that this was not the sort of planetfall she had expected.

Usually she welcomed the opportunity to feel real ground, real gravity beneath her feet, to smell air that had not been endlessly recycled and purified. But now she looked at the shabby buildings passing by and permitted herself a small sigh. These people had been so quick to embrace a new government, to throw off the shackles of the Empire, and all it had gotten them was a quick downward spiral into planet-wide poverty

21. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    These people had been so quick to embrace a new government, to throw off the shackles of the Empire, and all it had gotten them was a quick downward spiral into planet-wide poverty and decay.

I'm going to become an Imperial by the end of this story, I think. :p

Well, now Viraess is in trouble, unless she blows her cover to the Imp agent, who might not even believe her. Or she could just beat him up and escape the morgue. :D

Lando! He's really shining through in this one - smooth guy, cocky, and in the end genuinely concerned about his people on Kessel.

?Um, that?s bad, right??

He flashed her another of those lightning grins. ?It would be, if I weren?t the one piloting this baby. Hold on.?

[face_laugh] Yep, that's Lando. And poor Linden has to meet the dangers of the galaxy at his side. [face_laugh]

I know this is a serious subject, but I got all sorts of terrible mental images when I read about Viraess being forced into "that position." Sorry, my mind is in the gutter.

I seem to have this bad habit of making double entendres...unintentionally. [face_blush] Except usually once I make them, I realise that they have two meanings, and I make sure to note which one I want to emphasise. Guess I missed this one! :p

22. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Great update! And Lando rocks! :D Can't wait for more.

23. Darth_Scroobius

Jun 1, 2005
    So she manufactured a smile and handed a fifty-credit piece to the man who waited before her. He took it from her quickly, as if he were not quite sure she wouldn?t change her mind.

Nothing like some credits to grease the wheels. Very Third-World-ish. Especially with the food riots. So they can travel the stars, but they can't feed the people. How dystopian. (Editor- What's up the incomplete sentences? I dunno.)

Not Markus, she prayed. Not here. Not like this.

*cough*Matrix*cough* (Editor- You do know that the whole coughing thing only works out loud, not in written form, right? Shut-up.)

What if the Twi?lek couldn?t really tell one human from another, and the dead man really were Markus, the victim of a murdering thief who had absconded with all of Markus? belongings?.

Not only did you use the word "absconded" but you also used the "...". That deserves a =D=.

He flipped open an ident badge. ?Lieutenant Fortson, Imperial Intelligence. We believe Markus Klem murdered our agent here and fled the planet.? He stepped closer, then reached out and grasped her by the arm before she could pull away. ?I?m afraid we?re going to have to take you in for questioning.?

Wheels within wheels. (Editor- Wouldn't Occam's Razor stipulate that a conspiracy is unlikely, and that the Imperial bureaucracy just doesn't know about her little mission? Didn't I tell you to zip it? Fair enough.)

her life had been a series of random disasters

I like this phrase.

Suptaculent update. My only thought is that it would be more cliffhanger-ish to end with the Imperial Intelligence scene. (Editor- First incomplete sentences; now you're making up words. She's an editor. Why the heck would she listen to one of your suggestions when you display such grammatical ineptitude? That's it! You wanna throw? Bring it. What you going to do, stab me? Very funny.)

24. BobaFanGirl

Aug 10, 2005
    Great update -- I like how you write Lando. He's smooth, but there's some compassion going on there, too.

And poor Viraess -- she's really in a pickle, isn't she? I think Linden isn't the only one whose life is a random series of disasters!

I thought it ended just fine. Not every chapter has to be a total cliffhanger!

25. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Great post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.