main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Early Star Wars video games

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by 8bit, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8bit

8bit Jedi Knight

Oct 28, 2004

I came across these game carts related to the early days of the Star Wars franchise. One was a port of a popular arcade game of the time, aptly named Star Wars "The Arcade Game". The second was a never released game concerning the Ewoks and gliders.

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/starwarsarcade/starwarsarcade.htm

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/ewok/ewok.htm

2. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I am the only one I know who actually has that SW: The Arcade Game for Atari 2600. It is the Holy Grail of my collection. I was on that thing for days. It sure is crappy now next to Rogue Leader for the Gamecube.

The Ewok adventure game was never released because the Atari (actually the entire video game industry for that matter) was in its death throes.

3. 8bit

8bit Jedi Knight

Oct 28, 2004

Stars Wars the arcade game is one cart I don't have for my Atari 2600, although I have the ROM on my PC and have played it using an emulator. It was a pretty decent port all things considered, and highlights just how long Star Wars has been with us. The final part of the game down the tunnel to destroy the death star is migthy accurate considering the console's specs, made me feel like Luke Skywalker : )
    I saw Gremlins the other day and I think one of the evil Gremlins was playing Star Wars (arcade cabinet), very brief clip in the film so I can't be sure.

4. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Yeah, the Gremlin was playing the SW Arcade Game. I believe the original, faithful version is unlockable on Rogue Squadron 3 for Gamecube. Pretty sweet.

Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader offers the BEST video game versions of the Battle of Yavin, Hoth, and Endor, along with some really cool missions in between.

Back to the Atari, I also have the Parker Brothers Empire Strikes Back (the very first Star Wars video game) and ROTJ: Death Star Battle. I'm deep old school.

5. 8bit

8bit Jedi Knight

Oct 28, 2004

I have the Empire Strikes Back cart in my collection. I should try and hunt down the Star Wars (TAC) cart when funds permit. It would be nice to get it boxed with instructions. I have just blown some funds buying various retro games. Thr trouble with the games launched around the time of the video game crash is that they are relatively hard to find. Titles like Millipede, Crystal Castles and such.
    I have also seen what looks like a pirate version of the Empire Strikes Back game, the box art is unmistakeable but the game is titled "Star Warrior". Same 2600 game though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.