main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist earlybird-obi-wan art updated march 24 with Tycho Celchu

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by earlybird-obi-wan, Dec 16, 2006.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  2. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Wow, these oil paintings are wonderful! Though I don't have the time to look them all over right now, I will certainly be back!

Simply amazing how you've captured the beauty of the surroundings and of the people in an exceptional way with oil. They are simply lovely works of art.

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow--the "Anakin/ObiWan" piece is looking just beautiful! I love the way you layer onto the image (this, however, is one of the reasons I don't do oil painting: it simply takes too long!), adding in the underlayers first. It's wonderful to watch the "growth" of an artwork this way! Lovely!

FF

4. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  5. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow--the light in the volcano piece is looking so beautiful (the distant sky and the way that light falls over the landscape)--very nice! I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but consider adding in some more brilliant veins of color to the lava pool in the caldera (some bright yellows and oranges, with a few judiciously placed touches of white)--lava, even in a pool like this, roils and bubbles and ripples, and the hottest places are always much brighter (think brighter = hotter). I think it would give the lava lake a bit more menace and realism--this is, however, just a suggestion. With the softer lighting in the rest of the piece, you may want it just as it is. The SiriWan piece is sweet--their expressions are very nice! Will you be painting this one, too...? Just curious. Very nice work!

FF

6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Falconfan I have added more lava and the picture is completed.
    The Obi-Wan Siri remains a pencilwork and I am working on another one.

For easy access here are the links

Anakin and Obi-Wan
    powercoupling

7. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    The Obi Wan/Anakin is wonderful--I love their expressions! And yes--the lava looks better. Very pretty work!

FF

8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Reading a book about Hawaiian volcanoes I have put some more touches into the picture and the other picture is nearly finished.

Anakin and Obi-wan

Caradara NP

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Looking better and better! The book about the volcanoes helped a lot: I like the brighter colors--it gives it a "hotter" look. Very nice!

FF

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Nice work on the sparring piece--having them looking into each others' eyes is exactly as combatants are taught in fencing: watch the eyes, not the foil. The figures are proportioned pretty well, but seem a bit "stiff;" I wouldn't suggest changing anything with this piece now, as it's so far along--but you might just have a go at some "gestural sketches," as a way to loosen up the figures and lines. Here is a good online reference site that has some exercises for gestural-type sketching; here is yet another (two pages to this one, the link to page 2 is at the bottom). Practicing with gestural sketching and "lines of motion" can give a better sense of action or movement to figures--give it a try, and keep up the great work!

FF

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Falconfan thanks for the links and I have updated the sparring picture (added some lines and shades)
    This one is now completed
    Obi-Wan and Anakin

Two new works are in progress

One is a large one and only a piece of it could be put on my scanner

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan

The other is the same size as the Anakin Obi-Wan piece

master Obi-Wan

13. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Great update! =D=

I love the finished drawing. I really enjoy the expression on Obi's face, he looks almost afraid. And Anakin is great, too. Well done! =D=

Qui-Gon and Obi is cool, too, with Qui-Gon sort-of watching over Obi-Wan. =D=

Master Obi-Wan is great as well. I can't wait for the finished version. Just be careful, it seems to me that his left eyes is further down than the right one. But otherwise it's wonderful, I esp like about this one the shading on Obi's hair. =D=

Kepp up the good work!

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I really love the new Master Obi Wan piece--it's an excellent likeness, and the lighting is very good--the bi-directional light, forcing the central shadows, is quite dramatic, and gives a good energy to the image. Obi Wan and Anakin is also wonderful--you've done a fabulous job with it, and you should be very proud! ;) And I agree with Chilla about the Qui-Gon and Obi Wan piece--this one touches an emotional chord, and it'll be great to see it come along! Great work--and I'm glad those links were useful!

FF

15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chilla
    FalconFan
    thanks for the review

This weekend I have been painting eyes mainly and adding skin and a lot of paint to the large Qui-Gon Obi-Wan picture. The small picture is less work.

Obi-Wan

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow...so much work in oils... **is impressed** :D I love the Obi Wan portrait--the likeness is wonderful, and the colors are beautiful. You get so much depth--it's great! The Qui Gon/Obi Wan piece is looking great too (and we can always use more Qui Gon! ;) )!

FF

17. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    [face_love] Very pretty, both of them!
    I agree with FalconFan, your drawings have a lot of depth in them! =D=
    Very well done!

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    FalconFan
    Chilla

Thanks for the reviews and here is the next update on the Obi-Wan Qui-Gon picture

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    have been busy this afternoon and the master Obi-Wan piece is almost finished

master Obi-Wan

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, beautiful!! =D= I don't know what else to say... The Obi Wan piece is just wonderful (the eyes in particular now just shine--wonderful work there)--and in the Qui Gon/Obi Wan piece, I didn't initially realize that Qui Gon's arm was wrapped protectively around his padawan--what a lovely choice of pose: it's so warm and fatherly, just as I always imagined their relationship to be (father-son). The way you "add light" to your work is so amazing--it's always a wonder. Great updates!

FF

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    The Obi Wan piece is just gorgeous! I love the luminous quality to it, and the likeness is beautiful. With the Vader sketch, I'll suggest reworking the hands--they're a bit small for the figure. Try looking at some magazine photo models, and study the size relationship of their hands to the rest of their bodies; studying your own hands and doing similar comparisons (in a mirror, preferrably) can also be helpful. I really like the "salute" pose for Vader--that straight-on, weapon ignited pose is very imposing, and very classic for him. Great work so far on that complicated armor, too! ;) Excellent update!

FF

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006