main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Earthisms' to be avoided, and their alternatives

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by solojones, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Eva

Jedi_Eva Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    I once read a fanfic where the SW prequel crew visited earth....all I can say is that the fic was very....strange. All the characters(including the canon characters) were talking slang. It was "funny" to read Obi-Wan sayin gthings like, "Yo, dude."

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    And all us Americans rejoice...

I used Rosari to describe roses on Alderaan, daisri for daises and cytera for wisteria...

Usually for stuff like that, I just mess around with letters so that the names are similar, but still have a GFFA feel to them. I don't think there are many Alderaan roses around *grins*

3. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    I'm glad this popped up.

What the heck should I call the scientific name for humans? **** sapiens? Or is there a more Star Warsy term?

sg

4. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Sapiens would be good, so would hominid, which would be broader and account for humans in the Star Wars universe who might be imperceptably different from **** sapiens. Good question, though! I think either of those two could work well, unless you wanted to simply invent an entirely new label for them.

5. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    I guess I can't write **** sapiens since the first part of it gets starred out here. :p

Anywho, good suggestions, thanks. I'll likely go with one of those unless I or someone here somehow comes up with a term that's been used in the EU. :-B

sg

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I checked with Healer Leonaand she said the use of the word HomoSapiens in the context of the way it's currently being discussed is fine.

Edit: and if it gets starred out this time, just use H. Sapiens. Most people know what your talking about :)

7. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Actually, I like just "sapiens" anyway. It has a slight SW sound to it, and it doesn't rip the reader out of the story with a direct reference to a genus name. Up to you of course spiritgurl, but it seems like a fine way to go to me.

8. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    well I should hope it would be fine to use that word in this context. ;) That's why I was sort of amused and surprised by the fact that it was starred out. :p At first I was like... hey! I didn't say anything bad! :eek:

While I do understand why that's starred, I have a question, why is it starred here but not in other boards at the JC? I mean, I decided to use the search for the word sapiens to see if there were any other threads at the JC about the question I asked and I actually came up with boards that did not have the ****

Back to my original question, well... I think I might make something new up anything just to get away from the Latin.

sg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.