main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Echoes of Always - L/M - Complete - Second Fan Art added 4/10

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ginchy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I hope ginchy doesn't mind me jumping in here...but as beta I felt compelled to reply.

Yes, he is. That is the point.

It's not because, as ginchy said, she got this idea immediately post-Sacrifice when Luke and Ben were not very close. In subsequent LotF books, their relationship mends and by the time FotJ starts, they are very close. But other than that relationship (which is important for the story), ginchy tried to stay as close to canon as possible.

It is depressing, but again, that is the point. And I'd also like to point out that depressing does not equal bad. This is a great story and ginchy should feel very proud of it.

Readers who want L/M hearts-and-flowers with no angst, this is not the story for you. Ginchy has many other great stories that fit that bill. This is different, but just as wonderful.

/steps off soapbox, apologizes to ginchy

2. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Nanci, you and I have spent so much time going over the timeline and things. You've really helped me tighten it all up and make this story so much better than it was! [:D]

I just wanted to jump in and say that Nanci is right. I put this in another a/n, but to make it clear, this is post-Sacrifice. I have not, however, read anything post Sacrifice except Outcast. I actually quit reading profic after The Swarm War series, so any mistakes can be attributed to that. I realize it's presumptuous of me to write in an era that I know so little about, but after knowing Sacrfice spoilers and then reading it--this idea just hit me.

Please know that this is a love story. And that if you don the brave hat and travel this path with me, I think you'll be happy with the ending. If you remember just one thing about ginchy, it?s this: I love Luke Skywalker. This story is ultimately for him.

Thank you all for reading and for your comments. I?m so enjoying them. I will do replies later in the week!

3. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I've missed you started this - but I'll do everything I can to hang on from now on! And who knows, with a posting rate of once a week, maybe I can ;) Fascinating, intrieguing - and wonderfully written!!! I can so feel Luke's pain and helplessness!

he didn?t even want to think about what a Twi?lek barmaid was up to when she suddenly knelt down and crawled under a table

a ginchy-line here ;)

I just remembered that you were married. And didn?t she die a couple of years back? I know if I were married to someone as hot as her??

The speeder slammed to a stop, dropping under a building overhang. Darkness saturated the car and Luke watched humorously as Naelli drew in a quick breath as if realizing who he was alone with in the speeder, separated only by transparisteel. ?Look, I?m sorry,? Naelli quickly said, tripping over his words. ?I didn?t mean to disrespect your wife. Hey?I mean, I?m giving you the chance to be with her again
    !?
    Ooops.... :p

His relationship with Ben was strained and had been so since Mara had died. Since before then, if he were honest with himself.

Noooooo!!!!!!!:_| That has to be fixed!!!

Ben didn?t need him. That thought ran constantly through his head.
    Don't you believe that for a second, Luke! [face_not_talking]

Can't wait to see where you take thins!!! [:D]

4. wbsaw

wbsaw Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2008
    [Mav Edit] Removed post: Flaming and Thread Crapping are not allowed per the Fanfic FAQ. Please review our rules [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/30257083/p1/?0]HERE[/link]

5. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Forgive me for intruding, but ...

wbsaw, please read over the Fan Fiction FAQ in the resource forum. Particularly this bit.

A lot of effort goes into writing every fic here, and there are many to choose from. If this fic bothers you, I would recommend that you move to something else instead of reading and posting in this fic, as per the suggestions in the above rule. This community is one that prides itself on exemplary behavior that is generally positive and supportive. It would be much appreciated if you could offer that courtesy.

6. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Ginchy, you are (and have been) one of the BEST fanfic writers on the boards.

I love the introspection here. Your Luke is mature and very believable. He feels everything, and he feels it deeply. Of course the loss of his wife would be devastating. Look what the mere possibility of the loss of Padme did to Anakin - and Luke was with her for what, 20 years? Even my dad didn't live long without my mom.

So...I don't have one smidgen of issue with the fact that this is a "darker" story. It fits, it's in character.

I love this story and the way you write it. Even the length of the post itself reflects the indecision and internal conflict that Luke feels. Does he "do the right thing" and turn the device over, or does he accept this as an unexpected opportunity? Should he attempt to recover the woman he lost, or try to repair a relationship with the son he still has? Even the more subtle conflict - what has become of the hopeful adventurer he once was?

This action on his part is an act of defiance - against the government, against his misery, against the numbing future he faces. He has the possibility of being alive again, a possibility he has deferred for a very long time.

I know this is long and I'm sorry if I'm rambling, but I want you to know how bad I <3 this fic.
    [:D]

7. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    It's really quite simple, if you don't enjoy a story-don't read it, but respect a writer's choice to tell the tale.

Love you, girl! [:D]

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Force Ghost star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have faith in ginchy. I will read through hundreds of pages of horrible angst when I have faith in an author...when I know that they want me to feel good at the end of the story. It is really hard to write a long story without a conflict. There has to be a purpose to a story or you are just rambling on. A fluff filled long story can be just as bad as watching a slide show of your neighbors vacation to Aruba. I am sure it was interesting to them, and they have pretty pictures, but the whole time you are like "When the hell is this going to be over with." Right now we have a conflict: what will Luke do, will he find his wife, will he stay in a different dimension, what about his son in his real dimension? What will be more important to him in the end. I think this story has awesome possibilities.

I complain about the profics because I no longer have faith that they want the fans to feel good. I think the profic authors are writing good fiction, but in my opinion it isn't what Star Wars is supposed to be about. I know Lucas has a lot of death and destruction in the movies, but the overall storyline is good will eventually overcome evil. Oh yeah, they defeated the Vong, but the cost was so high that nothing felt good afterwards.

When Mara died I thought of a poem written by W.H, Auden. I changed the he to a she below, but this is what I thought would be going through Luke's mind.

She was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods;
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.

That last line pretty much sums up the EU now.

Ginchy, I have faith that something good will happen in this fic...so I eagerly await the next update.

9. Briannakin

Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Feb 25, 2010
    I have faith in you GINCHY! I KNOW this will have a happy ending... Eventually. (If not, I am stealing your keyboard and putting you through massive amounts of dying Lukes).

10. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Again, I want to thank you all for reading!! I know it might be hard to read about Luke and Ben this way, but I hope the next few chapters will help ease that some. [:D]

[b] JediMara77:[/b] I think I told you that the ?drinking ashes? scene actually was something my DH and I discussed. I totally took Mara?s position there. LOL A weird dimension where Palpatine is alive. Well?.. ;) Thanks so much, gal!!

[b] Jedi_Lover:[/b] I agree. His relationship with Ben should have been made stronger by her death, but instead it became strained. I love the poem you highlighted in your second post? it really fits not only the EU but Luke?s frame of mind at the beginning of this story. And I hear you on writing a longer story without drama. It?s hard to do!! Thanks for reading and for your faith in me.

[b]Jade_eyes:[/b] Yes, the device has a time limit. We?ll see how that works out. Can you imagine only 24 hours with the one you love? I?m glad you liked Luke?s thoughts. And I totally agree about the note and the idiocy of her death in [i]Sacrifice[/i]. I also don?t believe he would be with someone else, but since he?s ?too hot to be a widower? the ladies can?t stop looking. ;) Thanks so much!!

[b] taramidala:[/b] I ache for him, too. I started reading the EU because I wanted more Luke. That was the entire reason. But I wanted to see a happier Luke that we didn?t often get. I love and am blushing at your Thrawn quote. Thanks!!!

[b] Hazel:[/b] Yes, the whole note and lunacy of her death still makes me gnash my teeth. If you?re going to take her out, do it in a manner befitting the woman. Thank you so much for reading!!

[b] Briannakin:[/b] More on Monday!!! Also, Ben had that time with Mara after she had died and I think in a strange way that was cathartic for him. Luke?s still at loose ends. Thanks for peeking in, gal and for your faith in my story!! (PS: Noooooooooo, no dead Lukies!!! [face_cry] [face_tongue])

[b] wbsaw[/b] Luke is miserable, but the point of this story is to try to help him heal. Again, I first came up with the idea just post-[i]Sacrifice[/i] so I didn?t know how he would heal or how his and Ben?s relationship would change. That other story does sound depressing! I am hoping that you will not find the rest of this story to be so depressing if you continue to read, but I understand if you do not. Thank you for your comments and concerns!

[b] Jade_Pilot:[/b] Yes, I was ready for him to push that button. But what will he find on the other side?? [face_shock] Thank you for the characterization comment, girl. I always want to get Luke ?right?. It?s not always easy! LOL Thanks and love you, too!!

[b] kataja:[/b] I?m glad to see you reading, gal! I know you?re as huge a Luke fan as me, so I hope you enjoy this tale. As for twi?lek barmaids, well? LOL!! And I agree. Luke should not feel that his son doesn?t need him. Some serious work needs to be done on that relationship. Thanks for reading/commenting, lady!!

[b] Lane_Winree:[/b] Thanks for your help!!

[b] divapilot:[/b] I love how you put that?that his action in using the device is an act of defiance. And it is. Too many things have happened TO Luke, so many things that he hasn?t been able to control. He hasn?t been lost in pursuit of that control, but could he be so much like Anakin and become so? And THANK YOU so much. You know how much I love and respect your writing and to have you love this story so much means the world to me!!
    >

11. Mondra

Mondra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2010
    Amazing introspection into Luke's feelings... His relationship with Ben seems strained and it was really sad when he thought that Ben didn't need him - maybe his son just doesn't realise he's hurting him so much? I wonder how this dimention-jumping will affect their relationship.
    And what will become of Naelli? I hope Daala won't execute him...
    Impatiently waiting for Monday!

12. CurtisZidaneZiraa

CurtisZidaneZiraa Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2010
    While government conspiracies turn my stomach (which is what this almost sounded like with Naelli saying he'd been framed for murder just so the government and evil Daala could get their hands on the device) I know you deal in happy endings. So, we'll see where you're going to take this. No Luke ending up in prison for life! The device had just been created, so it's not illegal to use or own (yet), right?

This device almost sounds like something from a fic called Wheel of If by Mrs. Hamill. Would you happen to have read this? It's Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon based. Something tells me you have...

13. mavjade

mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 10, 2005
    :oops: I thought I reviewed this chapter the other day. Sorry!

Luke's pain is so tangible here, I can almost feel his pain as though it were my own. (Though I've never known such loss so I doubt I really do.)

Not only has he lost Mara but in a way he's lost Ben too and that makes it hurt so much worse. And we know Ben is hurting too so you can't blame him... the whole situation is so heartbreaking.

I'm loving this story so much, girl! I can't wait to see what happens with the device!

[:D] [:D]

=D=

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Tomorrow's Monday! Are we getting a midnight posting? Come on this is killing me. I want to know what happens!

15. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Mondra: I think that partially Ben doesn?t realize that he?s hurting his father. He?s hurt himself and holding it all in. Hurt grows larger when it?s never discussed. There will be an interlude dealing with that very thing? not sure when I?m posting it but soonish. As for Naelli, well, we?ll see ?him? again? ;) Thank you so much!!

CurtisZidaneZiraa: Thanks for popping in and reading and taking chance on a story with a set-up you?re not too fond of. I hope you?ll enjoy anyway! And I had never heard of ?Riding the Wheel of If? until you mentioned it! I looked it up on Fanlore. Very interesting premise that Obi-Wan?s lightsaber is the ?device? that takes him dimension to dimension. I have actually only ever read one Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan slash-fic and it was a viggie that had them musing over L/M?s relationship. LOL!

mavjade: It is heart-breaking! That?s how I felt after Mara?s death. I felt like Luke and Ben were irreparably damaged and that L/M?s relationship pre-death had been, too. Luckily, now, we know that Luke and Ben have a wonderful relationship and we can overlook Mara?s OOC death (sometimes?). Thank you so much for reading and for all your help! [:D]

Jedi_Lover: Here you go, gal!! ;)

[I]Thanks for your continued support! (And spacing issues continue to vex me!!) Let's see where Luke ends up...[/I]

[hr]

[U][B]CHAPTER 3[/B][/U]

[FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]He felt a strange tug at his body, in his body, but didn’t move. He merely blinked and then looked around. He was standing in the middle of a room, a room that looked very much like the living room he had just left. He reached out with the Force but didn’t feel anyone close. The apartment felt unoccupied and cold.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]The furniture around him was different, as were the family holos staring at him from the walls. But he was pretty sure it was the same apartment he had just left, as the layout and view from the window were the same. He was on Coruscant then, but was he on[I] his[/I] Coruscant?

He quickly exited the door to the landing pad and jumped up to the next level skywalk. He wandered down the long corridor before stopping to lean against the wall to look at Naelli’s machine. It was dark again, the screen blank. He turned it on and noticed a different set of numbers and code, and fervently hoped that was the code back to where he had come. He now had twenty-four hours in this strange but familiar place. Ben’s face suddenly came to mind but he pushed it away, knowing that he would be back home to his son soon.

Besides, Ben was on Adumar, and assuming time worked the same in the parallel universe he now presumably occupied, he could make his way back in a few days. Maybe he would treat this as a vacation from his responsibilities. He hadn’t taken a vacation in years, though he and Mara always kidded about bringing Ben to the place they had honeymooned and showing him the breathtaking sunset over the crystal clear water. To finally take the time they deserved to be a family, to eat in restaurants and collect shells on the beach. Luke closed his eyes and sighed.

The idea of Mara on a beach collecting shells was so silly, yet it made his heart ache to think that it would never happen. That it had never happened. They had spent their lives moving from one tragedy to the next and it seemed that their son was destined to do the same.

Shaking himself from his reverie, he continued down the corridor and found the exit doorway to the skyramp that connected to shops and clubs in the district. It was late at night, actually almost early morning, and everything seemed the same on Coruscant. The deli he often ate lunch at, two levels down, was there, and as he walked by he saw the night clerk cleaning up. The kid looked familiar, and Luke began to wonder again if he had actually jumped universes or not. Hesitantly, he cast out with the Force, and realized that he couldn’t discern Ben’s presence. The familiar bond that had been in place since he was born was dormant, and not in the way it was when Ben was mad at him and threw up his emotional shields. It was as if … as if Ben weren’t here.

Surer now that he actually was in another reality, Luke pushed away the ache that the loss of Ben engendered. He would go home to him, but even if he didn’t, Ben would be fine. In fact, maybe his son would flourish more without him than under his clipped tutelage.

In the meantime, he needed to learn more about where he was and who he was here. If he even existed here, and if Mara existed here. He jumped another level and landed outside of a noisy bar. The flashing lights made Coruscant seem almost itself again, though the signs of Vong reshaping were visible—the loss of the Manarai mountains a noticeable scar in the distance. Mara had often stared off toward the mountains as she sipped her morning coffee in their home on Coruscant, before the war. He could still picture her standing there, the light igniting her hair and giving her a glow of youth and vitality. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Mara. Just the thought that she might be alive here, somewhere in this galaxy, took his breath away. To think that she was living and breathing, vital and full of life, not cold and stiff as she had been when he kissed her one last time in the morgue when he had gone to identify her body…it brought him to the brink of tears and he blinked harshly, fighting to bring his emotional reaction under control.

Ideally he could go to the Jedi Temple to find the information he craved, but he didn’t know his status in the galaxy and didn’t want to show up and confuse any Jedi who might think that Master Skywalker had just retired to his rooms for the night. That is, if here in this galaxy he was even a Jedi at all. Maybe he was a moisture farmer on Tatooine still, or perhaps his father had never been lured to the Dark Side and he and his mother lived. The possibilities were endless, and he grew excited in the face of them. He realized that he needed to get to a HoloNet station to look up a few things.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]**

As he slipped into the library, he began to wish that Artoo were with him. He had left him with Ben, knowing the droid would look after his son. He trusted the little droid far more than most people he had ever known in his life. If Artoo were with him he could have plugged in to a jack and found the information he needed within moments. He actually smiled to wonder if there were another R2-D2 droid in this galaxy. He hoped so.

Unsure as to Luke Skywalker’s status in this parallel dimension, he had erected a force disguise, rolling his eyes at the small voice in his mind that criticized him using the Force too recklessly. That small voice sounded a lot like Mara, and it was a comfort as much as it was an annoyance at times. Sometimes you just had to use the Force and this was one of those times.

He had chosen Coruscant University’s library because it was always open, catering to students who kept odd schedules. He signed in at the front desk and got a temporary HoloNet password after filling out some paperwork with a fake name and address. He logged into the system and typed MARA JADE into the search engine.

Before he could even register what he was seeing the results were in front of him, images of Mara and entries that contained her name. As the HoloNet could be full of fiction and out-right lies, he chose the entry from the Coruscant Encyclopedia and began to read.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]**

He left the library in a daze, unsure as to what to do next. He was disoriented and tired, mind racing with all that he had learned from the HoloNet, of all the similarities and differences in this new galaxy .

And he couldn’t help but think he didn’t belong here.

But he couldn’t force himself to go back. He had proof now that Mara was here, that she lived mainly on Coruscant, and that… that she had loved him, had been married to him. Well, to his double. She was the mother of two children… two! He remembered how scared Mara had been when she had first become sick, that they had missed their chance to have children and how happy they were when Ben was born and Mara had regained her health.

And now here, in this time and place, his Mara had two children… not his, not really, and he didn’t know what to think or how to process it all. So he just kept walking, not really paying attention but knowing that he was heading for the Jedi Temple on Coruscant that shone as brightly in the late evening lights as Yavin had in the jungle moon’s sky.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]The back of the Temple loomed in front of him, the transparisteel outer casing glowing with the dim inner eternal light that was never extinguished. He stood in front of it and watched as a lone figure descended the stairway that led from the private suites. The Force roared around him, heightening his senses and allowing him to see her clearly, as if he were closer than he was. Her red hair was pulled back into a loose pony-tail and she wore a Jedi robe and to Luke’s eyes she was the most beautiful and breathtaking sight he had ever witnessed.

Mara Jade Skywalker was in front of him, and he had absolutely no idea what to do about it.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][SIZE=4][FONT=calibri]**[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Breathing hard as if he had just been over-exerting himself, Luke watched as Mara continued down the stairs and onto a walkway one level up from where he stood. She kept walking and he grew frantic when he couldn’t see her any longer, as she melded into a crowd and overshot his view. He Force jumped again, landing on the upper level, ignoring the looks of the crowd around him as he moved after Mara, her red hair a beacon even in the artificial lights of Coruscant’s night.

He trailed after her, being careful to stay far enough back, remembering Mara’s constant ribbing of just how unsubtle he could be. He had to be careful now because he didn’t want to startle her, but it took all of his willpower not to run up to her and hug her or just look at her, to drink in the sight of the woman he still missed so much.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Mara was a dream in motion, and he found himself in a surreal sort of awe to just see her moving, walking. He remembered seeing her so unnaturally still and quiet in the morgue and how painful that had been. Mara had always been the most alive person he had ever known, so full of passion and fire and to see her cold and lifeless had been a punch in his gut.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]He watched as she stopped at a small diner. He frowned, unable to go in or risk being caught. He stood next to a locked vendor cart and tried to look inconspicuous, checking that his Force disguise was still in place. He figured she must be getting a late dinner and wondered where the children were and why they weren’t with her. After long, almost unbearable moments, she exited the shop again, and Luke let out a breath he hadn’t even realized he’d been holding. She carried a bag of takeout with her, and headed back in the direction of the Temple.

Knowing that it was wrong and childish of him, he followed her again, unable to take his eyes from her, even as he took care to deflect the interest of the throngs of sentients around him. His tunnel vision had landed him in trouble before and he didn’t want or need that to happen now, not when things were starting to look up for him again.

He trailed after her all the way back to the stairway he had first seen her on mere minutes before. His heart pounded and stomach clenched with loss as she went inside and left him alone again on the skywalk. It suddenly seemed quiet around him, even though the same never-ending traffic zoomed past and the crowds of people were as loud as ever. Unsure of what to do now, or where to go, he took an involuntary step forward, loathe to leave the Temple –and Mara- behind.

“Who are you?” a crisp voice demanded near his ear, startling him. His heart pounded furiously at the sound of the voice.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Mara’s voice.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]He tried to turn, but felt something hard jam between his ribs. “I asked you a question,” she growled, standing close to him to disguise the blaster she now held on him. He wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry at the familiarity of the situation. “I want to know why you were following me.”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“I… Mara,” he said, dropping his Force disguise. “I didn’t want to tell you this way…” Wagering that she wouldn’t pull the trigger, he pulled away roughly and turned on her, breathing in sharply at the sight of her, so achingly close.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]But there was no welcome in the narrowed green eyes that stared at him. And he didn’t have time to move as her fist smashed into his face, knocking him back onto the sidewalk.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Holding a hand to his bleeding nose, a huge grin broke out across his face in spite of himself. “Force, Mara,” he said, looking up at her. “I’ve missed you.”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]**[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]She waved him into a chair at blaster point. She had spoken to him gruffly as she lead him in, telling him that she was taking him to her suite of rooms to keep from causing a commotion in the Temple proper with his appearance. Once in the suite he couldn’t stop himself from looking around in awe, even as he held a handkerchief to his nose. This was the same suite he and his Mara had occupied in the Temple, but it was so different here, with holos of Mara’s two children adorning the walls. The furniture was as practical and comfortable as it had been in his residence with Mara, but it all looked new, and different. They had made do with what furniture they could find in the aftermath of the war, but it looked as if this Mara had time to pick out pieces that she liked, and had time to make their suite into a home.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]His eyes lingered on the holo closest to him, of the children, though he could hardly say they were kids any longer. The boy, Ben, looked to be the age of his own Ben, and his heart gave a tug at just how much this child looked like his. The same red hair, Mara’s hair, and bright blue eyes. But he looked happier, and was smiling in the holo, his arm clutched around his sister.

Sister. A daughter. Reading about her on the HoloNet, Luke could almost understand just how his father had felt when he had learned of Leia’s heritage. The reality of this child was amazing and so unexpected. He had known, of course, that each of these realities could take a different path, and that things could be so drastically different, but he had expected something along the lines of he and Mara not being together or that the Empire had never fallen. He had not taken the time to think about other children, and his heart tugged to see this woman who looked so like him, with her cleft chin and blonde hair. She was beautiful and somewhat older than Ben and he found himself wondering about her. All he’d read on the HoloNet only that her name was Betrys and that she was a Jedi Knight.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“Who are you?” Mara’s voice cut into his musings and he swung his attention back to her, dropping his hand from his face. The bleeding had stopped, but his nose was still tender and he suspected it would bruise. Still, he was unable to stop another smile from spreading across his face. She looked so much as she had before and so alive that it made his heart throb with happiness.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]He felt her probe the edges of his Force sense and opened it completely to her, not wishing to hide anything from her. “Mara, my name is Luke Skywalker. I’m not your husband, but I am Luke.”

Mara’s lips pressed together tightly. “You’re not Luke Skywalker and quite frankly I’m getting sick of people pretending to be him. He’s dead and he’s not coming back.”

Luke looked into her eyes and saw the pain there, mostly hidden by the anger she was projecting at him. He understood all too well how she felt. “I know he’s dead… I read it on the HoloNet. But like I said, I’m not claiming to actually be him, well, from a certain point of view. But I am Luke Skywalker…and I can prove it to you.”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Fingers turning white about the handle of her blaster, Mara let out a huff of unamused laughter. “Let me guess. You want to show me your bionic hand or you want to tell me just how you felt when Darth Vader told you he was your father. Save it, I’ve heard it all before.”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]He wondered what she meant about that, but didn’t waste time with the thought. “Look, can’t you feel me, Mara? You have to feel that my presence in the Force is like your husband’s…”

“You are nothing like my husband!”

Luke raised a hand in a time out gesture. “I didn’t mean, that… look, just … my mental shields are down. Look into my mind, and you’ll see what I am Luke Skywalker. My wife was Mara Jade Skywalker. It will sound completely crazy, but after all we’ve been through together, I trust that you will hear me out. I’m from a parallel reality.”

“That’s a new one,” Mara growled after a beat. “I’ll give you points for originality. But again, I want to know what you want. Why were you following me?”

“I was following you because I wanted to see you,” Luke said, swallowing hard. “I haven’t seen you in so long, Mara… Please, just look into my mind. We can clear this up in a matter of moments.” He looked her straight in the eye and dropped every shield, reaching to her in the Force.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“Stay out of my mind!” Mara snarled at him, and he almost grinned at the familiar refrain before he could stop himself.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“Please, Mara. I would never invade your mind—look into my mind, instead. Please,” he said again, ready to beg if necessary.

After a long and terrible moment of visible hesitation, she reached out to him through the Force. He saw the blaster tremble in her hand as she looked into his memory and saw that he was telling the truth. She saw that he was Luke Skywalker and that he had been married to Mara Jade Skywalker. He let her see snapshots of their life together and to see their son, and then allowed her to feel his anguish at Mara’s death, following it with the vision that had led him to her. The effort of showing her all of these things was overwhelming, the lack of their Force bond making the transfer that much harder.

That was another thing he had not thought about, the fact that he would not have a Force bond with this Mara. That bond belonged to his Mara alone, but even as he sat there watching her react to what she was viewing from him, he could feel echoes of something, as if he could feel the phantom lines of the bond that had once existed with his wife. He wondered if she could feel it, too.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]He finished with showing her how he come to be in her time, using the device that he carried safely in his pocket. The weight of it pressed heavy against his thigh, a reminder that this was not his Mara or his life, and that there was another place where he belonged.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Mara drew in a shaky breath and looked at him, but her eyes were still narrowed and hard. “The question doesn’t change, Grand Master Skywalker. What do you want from me?”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“I don’t… I missed you, Mara--”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“You missed me?” Her voice was laced with incredulity and she looked at him as if he had grown another head.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“Yes, and I know that we’re not… I know that I’m not your husband, but--”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]She cut him off again. “You’re right. You’re not my husband and you never will be.”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Her eyes were wet now, damp with tears, and Luke’s stomach plunged at the look of anger and betrayal there.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“Why are you here? Your wife is dead. You should have gotten over her, not come here to remind me of all that I don’t have. Can’t have. My husband is dead and has been gone for thirteen years. And now you’re here, wearing his face…” She trailed off when her voice broke, looking away from him.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Luke jumped up from his chair, completely undone, as always, by her rare tears. He tried to move to her, to touch her, but she jerked away.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“Don’t touch me,” she hissed. She looked up at him, her eyes bright and damp but still hard. “What did you think was going to happen? Did you think you would show up here and I would jump into your arms and we would have some kind of happily ever after that you feel you’ve been denied?”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Luke had no answer for her, and just looked at her, swallowing hard, knowing she was right.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“If you truly are who you say you are then I know you’re smarter than this, at least, my husband was smarter than this! He did not play so fast and loose with my emotions and would [I]never [/I]have left our children. I saw Ben in your vision. Did you leave him alone in the place that you came from? What about our son, Master Skywalker?”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“Ben is sixteen, and a Jedi Knight. He’s currently on a mission to Adumar. He’s fine. He’s so like you, Mara. Strong and resourceful, capable of things I would never be capable of.”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“And our daughter? I didn’t see her in the vision you showed me.”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“We… Mara and I only had Ben,” Luke said. Mara looked at him sharply, but didn’t say anything further. She put her weapon back in her waist holster and sat down eyeing him until he sat, too.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]She looked at his hand, resting on his knee. “Looks to me like you need to move on, Master Skywalker,” she said, gesturing to the two bands he wore on his hand. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]He had already noticed that her ring finger was bare. And her words hurt, but he was sure that was her intent. She wanted to hurt him like he was hurting her. “Maybe I don’t find it as easy as you apparently have.” He regretted the words almost immediately, but could do nothing to take them back.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Mara’s mouth set into a straight line. “Where is it?” she asked harshly. “The device that brought you here? Where is it?”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“I have it,” Luke said. “It’s safe.”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“Can I see it?” [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Luke looked at her warily. “Why?”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“I think you know why,” she answered. “You don’t belong here.”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]He set his face, wanting to argue with her, but one look in her eyes told him that the damage was done. “You’re right,” he said at last, heaving a sigh. He suddenly felt ashamed at what he had done. “I don’t.” He pulled the device from his pocket and let her look at it. She took it after a momentary pause and examined it.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]She held it gingerly, examining all sides before pressing it back into his hand. “Go back,” she said.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]Luke’s finger hovered over the screen, and he reached out to press it.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]“Wait!” Mara choked out, grabbing his ringed hand before his finger could make contact with the screen. She searched his face. “I--”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=13px][COLOR=black][FONT=verdana]He met her gaze and their eyes locked, a moment lengthening between them until she squeezed his hand, panic in her eyes. He shook his head. “I was just going to turn it off. I can’t leave, Mara… the device needs twenty-four hours to recharge.”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]>

16. JediMara77

JediMara77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    firsties :D

Ahh, we're getting to the good bits! Well, they're all good bits, but you know what I mean!

He now had twenty-four hours in this strange but familiar place. Ben?s face suddenly came to mind but he pushed it away, knowing that he would be back home to his son soon.

I am glad that he's still thinking of Ben! But Luke needs to realize that Ben DOES need him. You always need your parents. :(

In fact, maybe his son would flourish more without him than under his clipped tutelage.

NO. HE WOULD NOT. BAD LUKIE!

Unsure as to Luke Skywalker?s status in this parallel dimension, he had erected a force disguise, rolling his eyes at the small voice in his mind that criticized him using the Force too recklessly. That small voice sounded a lot like Mara, and it was a comfort as much as it was an annoyance at times.

Hehehehe.

Mara has TWO kids? Wow!

Her red hair was pulled back into a loose pony-tail and she wore a Jedi robe and to Luke?s eyes she was the most beautiful and breathtaking sight he had ever witnessed.

Mara Jade Skywalker was in front of him, and he had absolutely no idea what to do about it.

Oh. I felt his heartache there. What will he do?? What will SHE do??

?Who are you?? a crisp voice demanded near his ear, startling him. His heart pounded furiously at the sound of the voice.

Ahhh. Yes! SHE found HIM! Perfect!

But there was no welcome in the narrowed green eyes that stared at him. And he didn?t have time to move as her fist smashed into his face, knocking him back onto the sidewalk.

Holding a hand to his bleeding nose, a huge grin broke out across his face in spite of himself. ?Gods, Mara,? he said, looking up at her. ?I?ve missed you.?

You know I love me some Mara punching out Luke. [face_love] And Luke's reaction was perfect. [face_love]

(BTW I can't remember which one of us wrote that first - great minds! ;) )

All he?d read on the HoloNet only that her name was Betrys and that she was a Jedi Knight.

I love Betrys and I don't even know her yet! :_|

Mara?s lips pressed together tightly. ?You?re not Luke Skywalker and quite frankly I?m getting sick of people pretending to be him. He?s dead and he?s not coming back.?

Luke is DEAD??? What a twist. But so perfect. And people have been pretending to be Luke?? Poor Mara. Poor LEIA. That has to be horrible, but it makes total sense.

The scene with Luke and Mara is perfect - so perfect. I love how angry Mara is with him. It would not have made sense for her to jump into his arms all happy again. That's what WE want to see, but it's not in character. She's had 13 years to get over Luke, and it has to cut her every time she sees "him" again.

But then, at the end, there's a tiny, itty bitty glimpse...that maybe this Mara isn't as over her dead husband as she says she is.

I can't WAIT to read more! [:D]

Curtis:

Hey! JediMara77! Review first, then steal firsties!

Ha! You haven't seen the red marks I made on these chapters. I think I earned the right to steal firsties. ;)

17. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Oh well now if you can't find a way for them to merge realities, ginchy, I'm going to be very upset! :_|

What an interesting twist. When you first introduced Mara it never occurred to me that HER Luke would be dead. Me like muchly!

18. CurtisZidaneZiraa

CurtisZidaneZiraa Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2010
    Hey! JediMara77! Review first, then steal firsties! :mad:

Anyway, this is starting to look good. And the device I was actually talking about, wasn't ObiWan's lightsaber, but Palpatine's device. He was apparently using something roughly like a datapad to get around and screw things up for the other dimensions that didn't have one of him messing with them already. [face_devil] ObiWan had to realize what was happening, and finally face him. It's an excellent series - but very much NC17, with lots of slash - fem and male slash. And het. Plenty of het. And it gets very angsty too. VERY Dark in some chapters. But the basic premise was to be sad with comedic relief. The first idea of it came from a dream with ObiWan opening the door to his rooms post movie, and QuiGon answers the door. He then grabs Obi between the legs and says "you can't be my ObiWan, you still have your testicles". Takes off from there.

Sooo, Luke is dead in this dimension. And they have 24 hours (or 22 or something) to get to know each other. This will be interesting. How did Luke die? Sounds like he died during or right after the Vong War. Sounds like Mara is bitter too. Though I can't really blame her. Being harrassed for years likely, having the trauma come up over and over again, when she's trying to raise two children and then poof. A real Luke shows up. But he's still not hers. Mara is definitely realistic (and Luke is still incredibly optimistic).

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Maybe Luke can go back and forth. It can be his booty-call device.

I was up at 3AM and was disappointed that this wasn't posted. [face_shame_on_you]

Great update!!

20. Briannakin

Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Feb 25, 2010
    I laughed at Mara's reaction to Luke, very her. :eek: Luke's dead in this reality. Wow! I loved the realisticness of their first meeting. very in character for Mara. Something tells me that she won't let him see the kids.

MORE NOOOOOOW!

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host Who Loves Fanfics & RPGs star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    How interesting! It's like the flip side of his reality - except he's gone from hers and for such a long time! :(

I think what I thought [face_thinking] was that they would be at different points with one another - e.g., friends or not met yet :cool: and I certainly didn't expect a sizzle fest LOL but what we seem to be left with and they also is they'll stay in their own time and place and each move on as much as possible.

That means this is like one of those RL stories where someone (the main character or a loved one) has a terminal illness or something else they can't change and by the end of the story they've accepted it, just that very fact, and made peace with it - and that's the long and the short of the happy-ever-after the reader's gonna get. :p

o_O

22. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I have to admit I was expecting this, but it still made me :_|. That is a testimony to how well you wrote it.

I need some mush now. * goes off to find mush *

23. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Hey Ginchy, great start so far. I really like the setup for this, and it reminds me somewhat of a couple of my favourite TV shows back in the day, Quantum Leap and Sliders. Can't wait to see how many realities you bounce Luke through, and the variations of all the familiar faces he could run into.

24. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    IT'S MONDAY! IT'S MONDAY! IT'S MONDAY! IT'S MONDAY!

Trying hard not to squee. Love the direction you've taken, girl.

Favorite part:

Holding a hand to his bleeding nose, a huge grin broke out across his face in spite of himself. ?Gods, Mara,? he said, looking up at her. ?I?ve missed you.?

I was laughing and crying at the same time. That's okay, laughter through tears is my favorite emotion!

Bravo! =D=

25. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Ooooo.... I remember you telling me about this one! It's so.... so angsty! [face_devil] I'm so proud of you!! =D=