main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate ECOWASsup President Jammeh, don't play any Gambias with me

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yes I know this title is horrible.

Yahya Jammeh is the president of Gambia who came into power through a coup and then won election after election. Last year, eight parties came together and put a winning candidate, who defeated Jammeh in an election. After initially accepting defeat, he changed and declared the elections illegitimate and refuses to step down. This was, of course, nearly universally condemned. Now ECOWAS, the Economic Community of West African States, has given him until midnight GMT to leave his post, or else Senegalese troops will enter the country and remove him. Nigerian troops are being mentioned as possibly joining this, and a Nigerian warship has gone to the Gambian coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Gambian_constitutional_crisis

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38669347

No American news is covering this, of course. So, do you think he'll give in and resign, or double down and hope to fight off despite being vastly outnumbered? And would it be a victory for democracy if he steps down, or does the fact we're already at the stage where he has to be threatened with military intervention mean democracy is failing?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, I mean your assertion is wrong and CNN is covering it in their World section (as was the election), but there's no chance he steps down (or little chance) unless he gets money to go away and live peacefully.

http://www.cnn.com/world
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/18/africa/gambia-political-turmoil/index.html
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/10/africa/gambia-yahya-jammeh-election/index.html
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/africa/gambia-yahya-jammeh-defeat/index.html

Also, there's no reason for the US to cover anything outside of the US ever again because clearly the Electoral College wants isolationism!

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    This guy is on my Deadpool list so here's hoping the situation continues to deteriorate.

What?

Alpha-Red and Darth Punk like this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, you are technically right, yes :p

[​IMG]

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Nigeria has also sent an airforce unit to Senegal to assist in any actions against the Gambia (note: it's the Gambia) too.

I don't see him going peacefully; he'll either exile himself when it's clear he's got no other choice, or the AU/others will back down rather than stage a bloody war.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, I know, that's literally what I said, Daveed! :p

7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    If it's not on the front page, then I don't really consider it being "covered." I mean sure, something can have an article on CNN but if you have to dig for it what does that say?

If he doesn't step down, he's facing an invasion. There's no way the Gambian military will be able to win, and some are saying he may get deposed by the military so that they don't have to fight.

8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    the title is really horrible. Sounds like the problem will be solved quickly.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That you have to click on the "World" section and it's on the front-page there? I can't say I was thrilled with the CNN redesign a few years ago, but it's consistent.

Something, something, Millennials having short attention span joke, something, something. :p

Also, considering the Presidential inauguration is in two days, we have terrible people being interviewed by the Senate happening right now, etc, etc., real estate is small. It's on the front page of NYTimes.com and nowhere to be found on MSNBC (at all, that I can see).

10. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    It's on the front page of NPR and the AP are also reporting.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    BBC have it front page, dp4m.

http://www.bbc.com/news

Two main stories about the climate, Chelsea Manning, and then the next line? Bingo.

Though given their state funding I can understand why a Clinonite might disregard the BBC. Not conservative enough. :p

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Guys, a war could be starting at midnight GMT. If this is not on the top third of the front page, don't bring it to me as proof.

Also if we want to discuss news coverage of things, let's make another thread about it. I've heard only three people's thoughts on the topic itself.

13. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Can we accept that we all actually understand Vivec's point that for the American people and American media this isn't really a top story? It's not like anyone save for a few knee jerk nationalists actually believes America isn't insular and insulated to the point of fault, right?

So yeah, his point is understood by all so can we stop compensating for being unawares of the situation in the Gambia, and move along?

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Fake news. I'm American, remember?

EDIT: I already gave my opinion when pointing out that the US news was covering it. :p

16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I assume at this point the only way out would be for another country to take Jammeh in for asylum, as after all of this it seems likely he would prosecuted by the next administration. Though, with a lot West African countries gearing up to intervene, I wonder where he would go to?

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    What kind of lame tendency is this, that people start their participation in a discussion with "I mean"?

And can it be over?

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Well, I mean, no... not really.

EDIT:
    Yeah, this was sort of my initial point -- he won't step down, unless he's given a ton of money and amnesty to live his days out with that money somewhere else.

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  20. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Worthy investment, I say.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Move to another country safely to live in exile? Check...
    No word of any payouts yet...

22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The Nigerian navy should go to Washington next.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Certainly it's a very intriguing situation, and I wonder if we'll see any paradigm shifting when it comes to regional interventionism. Any response by the UNSC will also be of interest.

24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I've read the NPR article and am now a certified expert on the subject.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.