main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edit feature is not working with Firefox v 23

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Placeholder, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Having that problem myself currently. Until recently had been using Chromium so I didn't know FF had issues.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, this one has been going on awhile. Hopefully when we upgrade to the latest Xenforo version it will fix this issue.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't use Firefox. I've heard negative things.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've been using it for some time - ever since I needed an FTP add-on. Like it a lot more than IE and it has ad-blocker add-ons as well. Haven't used Chrome at all.

5. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Firefox is good when it works, so is Chrome/Chromium. I like Chrome better for everyday stuff but FF is better at things like You Tubing.

6. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    I don't know what the latest version of Firefox is, but I am a bit paranoid thanks to the revelations of Edward Snowden, and I use only Firefox. I have the latest version. And I have to reload the tab for tfn every few minutes just to check if there are more posts in my usual hangout. Plus, a lot of the time, the reply box is missing the command bar containing the font, font size, emoticons, etc, or it only has a few icons. Sometimes, it's missing entirely and there's a line of code there. I have to keep reloading the tab to get it to show the whole bar, which only works some of the time. I've also experienced the reply bug where you have to click More Options to get to the actual text you are replying to. I don't want to have to switch to Chrome, or God forbid, IE, just to visit my favorite cantina on the internet. I have AdBlock Plus and NoScript, but both are turned off for this site, so I know it can't be that. I run no other plug-ins other than Password Editor, so that's not it, either. I have an i5-3230M with 4Gb of RAM, so I have plenty of speed for a forum board. Please tell me there's a solution, or that the wizards of the tfn are working on a fix soon...

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The 'fix' is to upgrade to the latest version of Xenforo (the software that our boards run on). Our former head admin is looking at that upgrade. I sometimes get the problem with the reply box missing stuff but I think it's down to my net connection pigging out at times. We're also on a hosted server with these boards and we tend to max it out at times (like when the Ep 7 trailer was released). So things like that might not be down to Firefox - just down to board speed.

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    How long has be been looking at that? It's been over a year. This is starting to feel like the delay with fixing truncated posts, to the point that I really don't even know if it's ever going to be fixed.

9. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    I get yelled at for saying this, but I'm going to put it out there anyways: I believe that a big issue with the current "glitchiness" of the Internet is software compatibility issues that are being deliberately caused by the software companies to force upgrades (that must be paid for).

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    In our case, since the site owner purchased a license for Xenforo I believe new versions are free. That might not be a case with upgrades to some of the addons we have, though. That's part of the problem with upgrading the main software - we have to make sure all of our addons will play nicely. If not they will have to be upgraded as well.

11. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    ^If the forum software gets free updates (at least for now), great. There still may be compatability problems on the "poster end" though. And of course the issue of add-on compatability is a long-standing one, thanks to the OS makers keeping their source code private.

12. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    Is there anything we can do to help? Any software to download that will ease the burden on the servers? Make things run smoother from our end? I'd have no problem sharing a little processing power with the server whenever I'm on to ease some of the strain on the boards. Is there a way to have a browser for the boards instead? Might be something to look at. Like, the way Steam runs theirs, where you download their browser which connects to their servers. Of course, Xenforo probably can't be configured like that, but just food for thought from the Department of What It's Worth.