main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Census Eggnog

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid, Dec 11, 2022.

?

Do you like Eggnog

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Yes - but only at the holidays

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Eggnog.

Do you like it? Do you have any tips, recipes, recommendations? Is there a healthy version?

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    put alcohol in it

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I’m drinking some premixed Nog. This has Rum, Brandi, and Whiskey already in it.

Two Christmases ago my most recent exgirlfriend and I tried different eggnog recipes while making gingerbread houses.

I can’t for the life of me remember the winner. Anyway our relationship ended earlier this year and I’m not comfortable asking her the results.

So this premixed and preboozed version is pretty great. Actually the best nog I’ve ever had.

We did have this last year.

I suppose it means I made the right choice in that our breakup has mostly been a relief for me.

Drinking this nog makes me miss the past.

But that’s but what this thread is about. This thread is about Eggnog and Christmas and how dark these days in the northern hemisphere. Hie Christmas lights and yes a few glasses of nog make sad heart feel more bright.

Pensivia likes this.
  4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Couple years back I bought some pre-mixed eggnog from the store, and just drank it straight up without any alcohol, because...well I didn't know you were supposed to add any.

5. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I brewed some hydromel for Christmas on a couple of occasions, but eggnog I never mixed for Christmas; I did during summers spent at a farm.

I might mix some this year, now that you've reminded me of it, and now that I can get fresh farm eggs from a friend :D

Pensivia likes this.
  6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    You know it’s a bad breakup when they get the recipes.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don’t think I’ve ever had eggnog because my folks hate it and what am I going to do, buy a carton of eggnog? What if I don’t like it? Then I’ve just got a bunch of nog hanging around for no reason. Don’t go long on nog.

8. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    It’s essentially a drink from Medieval Britain, that we don’t drink over here today.

From that viewpoint I can see why it’s still popular in Modern day America.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. Eggnog is like soccer. Something the Brits used to do that Americans continue to do.

10. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    It's a medieval drink, but probably not from Britain. You find it across Germany, Italy, the Benelux and a large northeastern quadrant of France, which hints at Carolingian origins.

11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Actually, most experts believe it originated in medieval England as “posset” and then spread to the European continent (and to the Americas) from that direction. I’m afraid we may have to accept that this thing trickled down from Britain…

12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    While the Americans do appear like stubborn holdouts over their preference of the word soccer, they do actually have a domestic game that never really caught on anywhere else that they refer to as “football”.

The objective as far as we can tell is to throw and catch an egg, and the winner is the team who gets the most damage to their brains (or noggins). It was suggested to them that a more descriptive name for this game would be “Eggnog”, but that name was already taken by an awful concoction, so they stuck with “football”.

In fairness they do actually kick the ball in this game - roughly once every 15 years.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  13. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    It's the spread that makes me doubt that. The entire HRE is in it.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    The French probably added butter and garlic to it - and then awarded themselves a Michelin Star.

SuperWatto, Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    :p

Okay, here's why I doubt the British origin: eggnog is found in former Frankish territories, but not in late Medieval English conquests on the continent in what is now France ;)

16. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    You sir, are a mediyolker eggnog historian!

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    No eggnog. In fact, no nog period!

18. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    It's Tir Na Nog, not Tir No Nog :p

... health regulations today mean that if I want fresh milk to make eggnog, I can't buy it legally...

Sarge likes this.
  19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I kind of assumed that eggnog was like fruitcake... a Christmas tradition that people buy, but nobody actually likes.

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I've never had eggnog, and considering the very non-vegan ingredients, I probably never will.
    But it sounds pretty vile.

21. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    We also have this thing called Christmas custard that shows up at the holidays alongside the eggnog as the obscure cousin that no one remembers is a part of the family. It's the same consistency as eggnog but the flavor profile is basically just vanilla, cream, and sugar. It's a simple trade-off of a less distinctive flavor for an increased potential for inducing diabetes and heart disease.

22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Eggnog is harmlessly vile. An abomination similar to peppermint schnapps. It's awful, but who cares? If you like it, enjoy it. Like Star Wars. Americans apparently spent $185 million on eggnog in 2019, according to Google. Eggnog and Star Wars are both big franchises despite how terrible they are.

SuperWatto and Ramza like this.
  23. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    If you consider farm traditions vile, sure :D

24. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I’m pretty sure that’s just custard.

Sarge and Ramza like this.
  25. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    More or less, but drinkable custard. No spoon required.