main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [El Camino spoilers] If you don't watch Breaking Bad, then yes, you still are an idiot.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    nobodys going to try to talk you into watching the show. the die are cast. the title is just there to inform you of a fact.

LloydChristmas and Winged_Jedi like this.
  2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    No, it is there to express an opinion.
    I am here to explain why I disagree with it. If you don't like that, feel free to ignore me.
    And actually, yes, people have been trying to get me to watch the show.

3. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i meant no one here. we have an enlightened, live and let live attitude towards the Fact in the thread title

as i believe a distinguished member of the blue collar comedy tour once said: "you cant fix stupid". ladies and gentlemen of the thread, let that be our motto. either that or "papadoonian, man... she's like ho chih minh!"

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Lol.

Koohii, knowing your tastes, I'm not surprised when you dislike great things and I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. I just find your perspective humorous.

5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    koohii, breaking bad doesnt need you. it'll still be the best show on television whether you watch it or not. even if idiocy were a virus, spreading unchecked through the television-watching populace and dragging more and more viewers away from breaking bad and into the clutches of the likes of CSI or whatever you people watch these days, it wouldnt matter. breaking bad is ending after eight more episodes, after a robust run paved with emmys, and critical acclaim; after having told the story that needed to be told.

breaking bad doesnt need you, and so, koohii, we forgive you. go forth and burble uselessly out there... in the big, wide world

6. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Interesting that no one has actually disagreed with my assessment of the characters based on the 30 minutes I watched... Maybe they eventually turned out to have more going for them. But during that crucial first 30 minutes... Was my assessment of what was shown in that period wrong?

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes.

halibut and Darth_Guy like this.
  8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    hush, child. itll be alright.

look at the shiny:

[​IMG]

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Why would we waste time debunking your assessment of a 5 season show based off half of one episode? You've stated quite emphatically that you have no interest to watch any further so I see no reason to convince you otherwise. Audiences, critics, and the Emmy's all agree that it's fantastic. If you feel differently, that's fine, but don't be surprised when the people who do like the show ignore you.

halibut likes this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, I mean, what are you trying to accomplish here? Are you trying to convince us that the show we like is terrible? I mean, you're entitled to say you don't like the show, of course... are you expecting people to argue with you? You don't like the show... that's great. Why are you still here?

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I came in here to see how people were reacting to the finale and instead you're arguing about nothing. [face_talk_hand]

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't classify someone taking a threadcrap as 'arguing.'

13. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I watched more than half an episode and quite enjoyed it.

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I'd really like someone to explain to me what, in the first 30 minutes of the first episode of season 1, they saw that made them think the show was worth watching further.

15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    congratulations on not being an idiot, yodakenobi

16. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Bryan Cranston in his tighty-whities.

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  18. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    It was on Netflix and had a unique premise. Then I got hooked and burned through four seasons in two weeks.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So, anyway... the second half of season five is going to have to move pretty swiftly. I mean, there are eight episodes left, so I'm anticipating that next summer's season is going to be intense . Like I said earlier, Skyler is in danger here. I really can't see how she wouldn't be charged as an accomplice--unless Hank talks her into making some sort of deal. I think Saul is going to have a large role in the final eight seasons.

I'm really bummed that we have to wait so long. Did they give a reason for splitting this season up? I think it's kind of a dumb idea.

20. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Money. AMC has very little of it and most of it is wrapped up in Mad Men. They almost let Breaking Bad go completely until agreeing to this two year, sixteen episode season thing.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Vince Gilligan always wanted five seasons and they were talking about making the last one fewer episodes (like 10 or so). BB doesn't have many viewers and unlike Mad Men doesn't get them $1 million an episode on Netflix. So yeah, they agreed to have more episodes but have to spread them out over two fiscal years basically. Kind of sucks but it's better in the long run than not having enough episodes for the final season and having to rush it.

Harps, I think Hank approaching Skyler about making a deal is quite likely. But probably only after he realizes just how deeply involved Walt is, how long and horrible the list of his crimes has become, and how much he would fight not to get caught. I think it's going to take Hank a bit to really see Walt as the monster he is. But once he does, yeah, I think Skyler would be his angle.

Of course, if Walt realizes this and realizes Hank is onto him, Skyler should be damned worried about him tying up that loose end like he did the guys in prison.

22. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    EDIT: Actually, I have no idea what I'm talking about, and YodaKenobi and solojones sum it up well.

As for that mid-season finale, what a way to leave us hanging. I love that one of the show's great revelations came about via a pure fluke with the hero sitting on the crapper.

It annoys me to hear people whining about how Walt is too meticulous to have just left the book out. This is the same Walt who forgot about Gus's laptop, who realised after killing Mike that Lydia had the names, who didn't even think about the need to launder his money until Saul reprimanded him, who didn't even think about the need for a cover story until Skylar made one up for them. The same Walt who was so bad at tying up loose ends that at one point he got himself trapped inside his mobile meth lab with his DEA brother-in-law banging on the door.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think Hank may figure out a lot just based on guesswork, which won't be enough to arrest or convict but

1. He already knows Walt's connection to Jesse and that Jesse has been involved with meth, so--
    2. He'll connect Walt to Tuco and figure out that the "fugue state" was something that happened with Tuco. He knows (guessed) someone else was with Jesse at Tuco's safehouse.
    3. He'll connect Walt to Gale's death. He knows Gus had no reason to kill Gale, He may not figure out exactly why Walt would want to kill Gale.
    4. He'll figure out that Walt/Heisenberg was definitely Gus's cook.
    5. He'll figure out that the reason that he got a call about Marie when he was about to bust the people (as far as he knew it was just Jesse) in the RV is because of Walt.
    6. He may figure out that the man who provided Hector with a homemade bomb was Walt (based on Walt's chemistry knowledge) and not a member of the/a cartel. Is that really their style anyway?
    7. Obviously, he'll know the gambling story was made up and Walt is laundering the money through the car wash with Skyler's help.
    8. He may guess where the second cashflow for Mike's "guys" came from, and who ordered their deaths.

There are things I can't see him connecting-- e.g., the disappearances of Krazy-8 and Emilio, Saul, things he'd chalk up to just turf war like Combo's death (though he may make the connection to Walt and Jesse via the RV) and the deaths of the dealers who had him killed.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    And don't forget all of Walt and Skyler's problems, including the fact that Skyler wanted the kids out of the house. I wonder if there's any way he'll connect things to Ted and Skyler's affair with him...

Yeah I thought about this briefly, that it was careless, and then instantly realized that it was but it was so Walt. It was more pride than lack of thought. He kept Gail's book sort of as a trophy, then has the gaul to keep it in his bathroom. Just right there, like he wants to dare someone to catch him. The guy thinks he's invincible. And I think a large part of him wants to get caught, really. He certainly wants as many people as possible to recognize his empire (see: Say My Name).
    Of course, it's nice that this realization comes just as he's decided he wants out. I wonder about that. I'm not sure we saw enough of that decision to know whether Walt was truly wanting out, if he really is sick of this and wants to not look back... or if he was just realizing that he really can't spend all that money. But then it's never been about the money. Do I think he might actually be remorseful for killing Mike? Maybe. I think that might be the one that actually got to him. I'm not entirely sure. I don't feel like we saw enough to be sure, though the echoes to The Fly certainly hint of real remorse and contemplation (which we saw in that ep as well).

Winged_Jedi likes this.
  25. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Am I crazy in thinking that this is why Walt is on the road in 52? Do you guys see that connection at all?

Also, did we get an explanation for the "Walt getting an MRI or whatever" scene in the last episode? Is it possible that the cancer has reemerged which coincides with his decision to get out?