main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Election Game Results and Decision

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The Election Game was a fun experience... :)

...and then we went to the final vote. [face_plain]

I have read many PM's, threads in here, Mod Squad, the Election Game forum, and the JCC. I informed everyone on many occasions that a forum-wide vote will open the game up to all sorts of problems beyond our control.

But the thing is, my friends, there is no way to prove it. I understand all these Canadian IP's were registered back-to-back with zero posts. But there's no way to prove nor disprove who they voted for or if they voted at all.

Ultimately, whatever really happened will have to remain on the conscience of those persons, if anything happened at all. I'd like to ask that this thread be used for sharing objections, ideas, criticisms, constructive feedback, and anything of the sort. But don't make it personal and attack and/or flame anyone. You have to take what people say to be the truth because until there is a way to verify it, it's an unfounded accusation.

I was an idiot and decided to end the poll at midnight. Why is that an idiotic move? Time zones. [face_plain] I forgot that where I live that is 3 am. I got up last night for 2 minutes and turned off the poll. Here are the results, and they are official:

1,128 votes

Canadian Party: Admiral_Thrawn60/KitFist0 (236 votes)

GRKP: KenKenobi/JediMaster_Prowl (233 votes)

GFFA: Tahiri/JediMasterAaron (165 votes)

Blue Yoda: Darth Envy/Leonard Shelby (134 votes)

HFRIC: AdmiralZaarin / GrandAdmiralJello (124 votes)

IAMS: JediSatimber/JediPrincessKas (81 votes)

JFLU: InyriForge/jags_gurl (44 votes)

DOA: flying_fishi/Crimson_Sabre (43 votes)

CCCP: Tupolov/Kung-Fu-Yoda (37 votes)

Debocratic Parté: Dan/Aragorn327 (31 votes)[hr]
    Therefore, I would like to formally congratulate Admiral_Thrawn60 and KitFist0 from the Canadian Party. They are the winners of the Election Game and have earned the title of President and Vice-President and with that, VIP status for 6 months.

The more the poll wore on, the more I felt like a Florida Supreme Court justice determining the difference between a hanging chad and a dimpled chad.

Now for the next issue. It was brought to my attention via PM's, the poll, and in Communications that some of these candidates were sending out mass PM's, oftentimes to folks outside of their party and not even involved in the game. Anyone and everyone got a PM. This is a form of spamming and as such will be treated that way.

I have an MS Word file where I logged in every PM complaint and every complaint I saw in a thread in any forum related to the Election Game. I cannot go into people's accounts without cause or without a real good reason. If a user complained about a candidate and that candidate admitted to sending these mass PM's, they will be receiving a 24 hour ban for spamming.

Therefore, since the only public one I'm aware of is Admiral_Thrawn60 and he admitted to it, he will be banned for 24 hours. He will receive a title today but will not be promoted to VIP status until tomorrow. KitFist0 will receive both a title and VIP status today.

Please remember what I said about not making this personal. If you simply can't resist, PM me. But don't make trouble for yourself. Make this thread about ways of improving the game should we decide to do this again in the future.

[hl=silver][color=steelblue][b]Kadue Edit: I've just finalised all the last things to do with this, so this issue is settled. If anyone has anything that they need to add, PM me please.[/b][/color][/hl] :)

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'll also accept PMs on behalf of the Administration and collaborate with Sape ongoing if you wish to PM me.

3. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"But the thing is, my friends, there is no way to prove it. I understand all these Canadian IP's were registered back-to-back with zero posts. But there's no way to prove nor disprove who they voted for or if they voted at all.

Ultimately, whatever really happened will have to remain on the conscience of those persons, if anything happened at all."

Exactly. I'm sure that if the AT60 team has knowledge that these socks were created with the sole purpose of fixing the Election game that they will say so and step aside, so as to avoid the appearance of impropriety. If they don't, then I think we can all rest assured that the entire effort was conducted with the utmost honesty and through only the most appropriate ethical practices possible. Right?

AYBABTU?

4. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Excellent post, AYBABTU. That's what I was trying to convey. In other words, if you cannot prove it, don't accuse because you really could be wrong.

5. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    "Right?" Right

I am a member of the Canadian Party and I can assure you that I had no knowledge of any of this.
    We were winning all the way, granted it was close at times, but what purpose would that have served anyways?

EDIT: I just got an idea if something like this would be held again; have people register to vote in advance before the voting even begins, just like in real life. The only question is how would the votes be counted? Would that be possible?

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Excellent post, AYBABTU. That's what I was trying to convey. In other words, if you cannot prove it, don't accuse because you really could be wrong.

Which is, I think, the exact point I was trying to convey last night in the thread. People ignored me, of course, but that's the nature of the beast... :)

7. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "I was an idiot and decided to end the poll at midnight."

Don't be so hard on yourself DarthSapient, you are not an idiot and everyone here will agree with me that you are not.

8. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    When I said midnight the polls would end, I was thinking midnight my time. But I wanted to stay true to my word.

9. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

"In other words, if you cannot prove it, don't accuse because you really could be wrong."

That's right. Depend on the participants to do what is right. I expect everyone to behave with honor, honesty, and humility. If the spirit of the game was compromised, then I'm sure they will step aside.

AYBABTU?

10. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Don't be so hard on yourself DarthSapient, you are not an idiot and everyone here will agree with me that you are not.

Well, I wouldn't say everyone... ;)

:p

I'm perfectly happy with the way the game ended, and I'm not going to get worked up into a furver just because of some new SNs being regestered.

So, congrats to AT60, and see you in 24 hours. :)

?Eaglet

11. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Yeah, I've already admitted my guilt, and will probably be takin a little vacation as well. Tis all good, though. I'll see y'all when it's all over! :)

12. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    If it looks like a sock, acts like a sock, and smells like a sock... it probably voted Canadian?

13. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Congratulations to the winners. Next time, (if there is a next time) GFFA will give you a run for your money. ;) :D

14. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    So please tell me, what do the Prez and the VP get to d? I mean, do they get access to the Mod Squad, do they get uber-special powers, do they get...what?

Or is it just a fancy title with colors?

Also, what happens after 6 months? New elections?

15. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    In the future, perhaps you could have people actually post their votes in a thread and require a minimum of 100 posts for people voting.

It would be more work though.

16. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Or have them PM their votes to you.

Although that might reek of effort.

17. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

I wouldn't worry too much about any of this. I'm sure the honor system and ethical gamesmanship will prevail. If there was any wrongdoing, those who benefitted will certainly step aside.

AYBABTU?

18. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Or else face the scorn and derision that would be directed at them on an online message board... if anyone knew who they were?

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also -- people are forgetting the most fun aspect of this game.

We have a Supreme Court.

If someone DID sock vote and a party won via those means and the voter DID come forward -- we could impeach them. They get banned for the duration of their term (which equals six months).

So this'll be an interesting thing to see if anyone comes forward...

20. FlamingSword

Jun 4, 2001
    I wish I had your faith, AYBABTU.

If there are wrongdoings, I would hope any parties doing so would admit it.

Even if there are no wrongdoings on anyone's part, it looks far too easy to me to accomplish. I'd hope in the future it's a little harder.

21. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    If it looks like a sock, acts like a sock, and smells like a sock... it probably voted Canadian?

But the thing is, my friends, there is no way to prove it. I understand all these Canadian IP's were registered back-to-back with zero posts. But there's no way to prove nor disprove who they voted for or if they voted at all.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If there are wrongdoings, I would hope it would be admitted and any parties doing so would step down.

Of course there are no wrongdoings. As AYBABTU has pointed out -- if there were, people would have stepped down already.

If people come forward, there were wrongdoings. If people do not come forward, there were no wrongdoings.

Simple as cake. :)

23. FlamingSword

Jun 4, 2001
    Makes perfect sense, dp4m ;) :)

Although no parties committed any wrongs this time, we'd better not tempt fate. Make it more difficult next time. But I'm sure that the people organizing any future game will be able to come up with something :)

24. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    None?

I do hope you're joking.

25. FlamingSword

Jun 4, 2001
    I can't prove it. Neither can you. On the other hand, it can't be disproven either.

So unless more information comes forward, I'm just going to have faith that no party engaged in any illegal activity. There's nothing else I can do and getting upset won't provide any evidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.