main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Elementary, my dear Obi-Wan-- a SW/Sherlockian London crossover

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Frostfyre, Sep 24, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Frostyyyyy . . . whereee areee youuuuuuu . . . .?

2. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Just hoping for another post...

3. Frostfyre

Frostfyre Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 25, 1999
    For the first and perhaps the last time, I saw Sherlock Holmes incapable of saying anything at all. At last he managed a quiet ?Oh,? and glanced at his brother.

?I know it?s difficult to believe,? Mycroft replied, ?but it?s true. All of it.?

?But,? I sputtered a bit, to my embarrassment. ?That?s preposterous!?

Holmes, still leaning against the mantelpiece, said nothing, studying MacEiver and Obi-Wan each in turn. Then he straightened. ? ?There are more things on heaven and earth, Horatio??? he quoted, very softly.

I raised my eyebrows at this. As a general rule, Holmes ignores virtually everything that does not have bearing on his profession. Among these subjects is literature, Holmes?s knowledge of which is abysmal. He caught my expression, and smiled thinly. ?Come now, Watson, even *I* am familiar with Shakespeare.? He turned his gaze again to the two men. ?Though I find what you have told me rather difficult to believe, I also admit that Mycroft is smarter than I, and would never be taken in by a lie?particularly not one that sounds so farfetched. Therefore, if he accepts it as truth, then so must I. You do understand, though, that I have reservations that will require hard evidence.?

MacEiver nodded once. ?I would expect nothing less from you, Mr. Holmes.?

?And I have a great many questions.?

?We will answer what we can.?

?Good.? Holmes rubbed his thin hands together, suddenly looking for all the world like a cat that has just been given free access to the cream jug. ?But to business first. We must locate Ben?s missing master.?

MacEiver tugged at his cravat. ?Yes. There is something rather disturbing about all this. However,? he added regretfully, ?I am not in charge. Though I personally would offer any assistance you and Obi-Wan might require, I must first speak with my superior to determine the impact if we were to get involved in this hunt.?

Ben sat up in his chair. ?Three weeks ago, someone broke into the main research and development labs at CorTech and stole the plans for one of their prototype starfighters, as well as the plans for a new command ship. Master Qui-Gon and I chased him here, and were ambushed and separated not long after we touched ground.?

?I have reason to believe that Moriarty has allied himself with this thief,? Holmes continued. ?The contact I saw last night spoke of new figures in the underworld, and weapons like no one had ever seen. Then he died, rather suddenly and mysteriously.?

MacEiver?s face was troubled. ?I will do what I can, Mr. Holmes, Obi-Wan. Our group leader will certainly want to hear of this. I have permission to call on you at Baker Street??

?Naturally,? Holmes said wryly.

?Good.? The slender man replaced his hat, and all at once became again the small, nervous Scotsman we had first seen. He half-bowed to us. ?Th-thank ye for the information, s-sirs. A g-good day to ye.?

After he had gone, Holmes finally sank into a chair. ?That, Mycroft, was the most singularly unusual conversation I?ve ever had.?

Mycroft snorted. ?You should have been present when I first found out. And I will tell you, Sherlock, that he was rather mild today compared to when he told me.?

?I?m curious, brother mine, how did you find out??

?That, Sherlock, is a very long story. To be succinct: they felt they needed a native contact. How they found out about me, I don?t know, and frankly I don?t want to know. There is a great deal more to these Jedi than what MacEiver told you. Abilities that, if I had not seen them firsthand, I would not believe.?

?If you?re trying to assuage my curiosity, Mycroft, you?re failing miserably,? Holmes said gently.

?You?ll find out soon enough.? The huge man heaved himself up from his chair. ?Keep me informed, Sherlock. And try not to get sidetracked. I *am* paying you, after all.?

?How could I forget??

Mycroft ignored that. ?Where are you going from here??

?Home first. I?m expecting some reports from my Irregulars. After that?we?ll see.?

?Very well. Be careful, Sherl

4. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Struck dumb, if only for a moment! I'm glad Watson was there to witness it!

And, "...looking for all the world like a cat that has just been given free access to the cream jug."

He, he, I can just imagine his expression! Great line.

5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Would Mycroft really use the phrase "off-world"? It doesn't seem to fit into the vernacular of this time, and yet I suppose he could have picked it up from his Jedi friends.

Another excellent, intriguing post! What will Obi-Wan do if MacEiver's superior decides that they cannot interfere? Will he be stuck looking for Qui-Gon on his own?

Will Holmes get the chance to see the off-world technology in motion? Such as a lightsaber deflecting a blaster bolt? That would be something to look forward to!

6. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    ::happy claps:: -Very- cool! I'd think that after being told there were stolen weapon plans loose on an underdeveloped planet, the group leader won't have a whole lot of choice but to help at least a little to find the thief and get the plans back.

I just love all the characters and the way they interact. I can see it all right in my head and there isnt a single false note to it. :)

7. Frostfyre

Oct 25, 1999

Thank you! I was worried about that last one. I've got a full blown head cold, and that isn't exactly conducive to writing. But...I'm reading Robin McKinley, and she's always inspiring! I highly recommend anything by her. (Except, perhaps, for Deerskin. It's a wonderuflly written book--the woman couldn't write a bad sentence to save her life--but it's awfully disturbing.)

Okay, I'll go work on my next post now. Thanks guys!

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I agree totally with Llith!

I particularly loved...

~~?And be careful with these Jedi. They?re strange, and though I doubt you?ll meet a more rigidly moral group of people, they play a deadly game. Don?t cross them, and don?t interfere when they tell you to back down.? ~~

A stunning observation!!!

9. Emma3Jane

Emma3Jane Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2000
    Hi Frostfyre,

I am enjoying this 'unusual' crossover alot. If Holmes finds Obi-Wan interesting, wait until he meets Qui-Gon! You have a great imagination, this cross-over must be difficult to write.

I can't believe you mentioned Robin McKinley, I was just re-reading Hero and the Crown. 'Deerskin' disturbed me greatly too, but I couldn't put it down.

Keep up the great work!

E3J

10. Frostfyre

Oct 25, 1999
    I just finished 'Beauty' for the umpteenth time, and am about halfway through 'Rose Daughter' (also for the umpteenth time). Honestly, that woman does not write enough! <grins>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An uneasy silence reigned in the hansom?s cramped interior as it clattered its way back toward Baker Street. Though Ben?s face remained as impassive as always, I caught him shooting small glances towards Holmes and I. I fancied that he wasn?t entirely certain what to make of this afternoon?s previous stunning events. I could understand; he?d gone to a great deal of trouble to keep who and what he was quiet, only to have it all thrown wide open in the space of a few moments.

I tried to think of something to say to break the tension, but the only things that came to mind were questions. ?How do you find life on another planet?? just didn?t seem to fit the bill. I was having difficulty wrapping my mind around the concept. Before, I?d only given the scientific journals that occasionally littered Holmes?s study the most cursory of glances; I wasn?t particularly interested in those disciplines that had little to do with medicine. I knew that astronomers had identified other planets beyond our own, and that it was possible that the millions of stars we saw at night had planets of their own, but it had never occurred to me to wonder if there might be life on them. The revelation that not only did it exist, but that it was far more advanced and far, far bigger than we could dream of suddenly made me feel very, very small and insignificant. I could only imagine how it might be affecting Holmes, whose self-image was so much greater than mine.

Holmes suddenly stirred, leaning forward from his upright position to lean his elbows on his knees, hands loosely clasped. ?Those plans you mentioned earlier,? he ventured

Ben, correctly guessing that Holmes was addressing him, turned his gaze from the window. ?Yes??

?What were they? I believe you referred to one as a ?starfighter,? and another as a ?control ship.??

The young man nodded. ?It?will be difficult to explain, Mr. Holmes. I don?t have a thorough grasp on your culture?s current?technology.? He sighed, absently twirling his cap around on one finger. ?I understand that the major means of transport here is by water-going vessels and animal transport??

?And trains,? I offered.

?Ah, yes. I saw those?tracks??when we were landing our shuttle. So your people have not yet discovered flight.?

?Beyond that achieved in hot-air balloons, no.? Holmes smiled a little. ?Though I understand that many?particularly Americans?are experimenting.?

Ben nodded. ?Then much of what I could offer as an explanation will make little sense. In the Republic?where I am from?most of the planets that belong to it have not only learned aerial flight, but also space flight. Our ships can cross millions of miles in the space of a few days, using a means of travel known as hyperspace??

Holmes held up a hand, cutting short the young man?s growing enthusiasm. ?I should stop you now before you lose us both,? he said gently. ?This?is a little overwhelming for me?something that Watson, no doubt, will be eager to record in his annals as an occurrence as rare as a blue moon.? Before I could protest, he continued. ?I will compensate for that by suspending my disbelief, such as it is. I accept that you know how to travel not only from country to country, but also from planet to planet. Am I also correct in assuming that, with this ability, space is also where you wage your wars??

?Yes.?

?And so this? ?starfighter? is such a weapon??

?It is a small, one-man craft designed for dogfighting?sorry, for close combat.?

?Dogfighting seems an accurate and descriptive term. A small craft?? he trailed off, searching, I supposed, through his vast mental resources for a basis of comparison. That was what I was doing, anyway. ?Like our Navy?s smaller schooners, though they are not by any means ?one-man? crafts.?

With a solid reference, I fo

11. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    ::snicker, snicker, snicker:: Now we get to watch Holmes squirm! :) heheheheheeee

Oh, Frosty, I finally finished up my version of my beauty and the beast story that I loaned you. It's at my site if you wanna take a look. :)

12. Nerrie

Nerrie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2000
    Poor Watson, he's not having a good day between finding out about worlds beyond Earth and then, accidentally ignoring his fiance.

It's going to be interesting watching Holmes and Obi interact during this mission.

13. LadyVorgunby

LadyVorgunby Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2000
    you know...what watson said about Ben being on almost equal footing with Holmes....it makes sense, using the force for some insight, as well as being able to drawn a vast amount of information as he has been exposed to hin his travels with Qui.

speaking of whom...WHere is he!??!

and I'm gonna have to go look up that author...just what I need...more books to read that aren't for class :)

14. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    Well if Ban is almost equally footed with Holmes,just wait until Qui-gon appears!
    This crossover is great!And it must be really difficult to write,rigth?I mean,you make the characters seem so real!

15. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Will Obi-Wan be joining them for tea? I wonder what Mary will make of him, and vice versa. I suppose Obi-Wan has been exposed to at least a few cultures in his lifetime where women are looked upon as ornamental? And where is Qui-Gon? Don't tell me he's currently languishing in Bedlam!

Your very last sentence "with nearly every subject currently of interest to Holmes was suddenly taboo" should be either "where every subject...was taboo" or "with every subject..suddenly taboo."

16. JEDIAKASH

JEDIAKASH Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2000
    Frostfyre,
    Your tale is extremely unique and highly enjoyable. I have loved Sherlock Holmes and his extraordinary powers of deduction since a young age, and Star Wars was revealed to me not long after. A combination of these two is, well to put it mildly, unusual, but you have done a masterpiece job of representing both themes in an accurate, yet entertaining means. The combined elements of Victorian London with the highly developed technology and Jedi personality of the Republic is very skillfully molded into a wonderful tale of intrigue and intelligence. A great, unforunately rare, combination. Please keep writing. I can't wait to read more, and consider yourself blessed with the amount of writing talent you have thus far exhibited.

17. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    Very well done. And I'm impressed Watson managed to dig himself out of a screaming fit by Mary. Although I might hope such a strong-willed woman would not resort to such a tactic. *eg*

Robin McKinley is wonderful. "Beauty" is my all-time favorite. Deerskin--yeah, compelling but disturbing. I head she had a new one out, but my mom wouldn't let me borrow it before I left. As if she didn't know I'd have it done in a day. Rude! :)

18. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    To the top, with all due haste.

19. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Upping this with hopes of a new post soon.

20. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Peeps, Frosty's been a little under the weather the last few days, please be patient. :)

21. JEDIAKASH

JEDIAKASH Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2000
    Hope you are okay, Frostfyre. Don't force yourself to write on our account, we'll be patient. It is good enough to wait for more, no matter how long.

22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Sorry to hear you're under the weather Frostfyre.

I agree with JEDIKASH, this story is definitely worth the wait though I'll be sending waves of healing energies through the Force to promote a quicker recovery.

23. Frostfyre

Oct 25, 1999

::chuckles:: Thanks guys. I am feeling *much* better, and you can probably expect a post later today. Sorry there isn't one now, but class calls...:[face_sigh]:

24. Frostfyre

Oct 25, 1999
    Tea, all in all, was surprisingly pleasant. Holmes, wizard-like, somehow perceived my half-formed notion of revenging myself on him for his earlier behavior, and behaved precisely opposite from what I had expected. He was polite to Mary as he was with most women who did not irritate him, and not once during the meal did he betray anything other than civility.

Realizing we would not be discussing his origins, Ben tucked into the spread Mrs. Hudson provided like the a normal, hungry young man, and proceeded to utterly charm Mary. I was fascinated by the change--he had been so consistently taciturn and silent previously that it was a little startling to see him suddenly all smiles and compliments. After a while, I noticed that he was subtly drawing from my intended information on London, the British Empire, and our world in general, all without letting on that he knew virtually nothing about it. Only once or twice did he let slip ignorance on something he should have been familiar with, but he recovered so quickly and smoothly I doubted that Mary even noticed. I likely would not have noticed if I hadn't been watching for them. Holmes said very little, but I could tell he approved of Ben's skill. I found myself desiring to meet the fellow who had trained the young man so well.

Halfway through, we were interuppted by the bell. Mrs. Hudson excused herself from her station by the door connecting the kitchen to the dining room and went to answer it. She returned a moment later. "It's that Miss O'Kelly from last night, Mr. Holmes. She wants t'see how the young man is doing."

An uneasy silence fell over the table, and Holmes and I glanced at each other. How were we going to explain Ben's miraculous recovery? Even if he pretended to still be injured, the physical evidence was noticeably missing--namely the cut on his forehead and the spectacular bruises.

Ben looked inquiringly at us. "Who's this?"

"A young woman--a nurse--who was the passenger in the hansom that nearly ran you over last night," Holmes said. "She insisted on helping Doctor Watson patch you up."

"I see." He carefully set his teacup back into its saucer. "Perhaps I ought to handle this."

"Perhaps we should invite her in to tea," Mary suggested, and jumped as a chorus of vehement Nos! assaulted her from all sides. "It was only a suggestion," she said defensively. I patted her hand reassuringly.

Ben rose. "I'll only be a moment," he said, moving to follow Mrs. Hudson back out into the entryway.

"I must see how you intend to accomplish this," Holmes said, also getting up. I, no less curious, followed suit.

"Accomplish what?" Mary asked, eyeing us in bemusement.

"Nevermind," I said. "Just wait here."

She raised an eyebrow. "Now you really have my curiousity piqued." And she, too, laid her napkin by her plate and rose. Holmes was shaking his head.

I imagine it was a little startling to Miss O'Kelly to see all of us trooping out of the dining room to descend upon her in the small foyer. She focused almost immediately on Ben, however, after giving the rest of us only the most cursory of glances. The expression of incredulity that crossed her face was just as I had thought it would be. "How..." she trailed off, and recovered herself with remarkable aplomb. "I must say, sir, you have made a rather stunning recovery."

Ben gave her his most devastating smile, and she blinked, almost visibly melting. "Miss--O'Kelly, was it? My name is Ben Kenobi. I understand I should thank you for rendering assistance to me last night."

"Well--I--but--"

He made an odd little gesture then, his left hand moving at chest height across his torso. "I wasn't that badly injured."

Mahala O'Kelly seemed to relax for a moment, the start of an agreeing nod moving her head. Then she stiffened. "No, but you were! I saw! You should have been in bed for at least a week!"

He made the gesture again, in the opposite direction. "They weren't as bad as they looked," he said, his baritone voice soothing and strangely compe

25. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    ::excited, happy claps:: Eeeeeee!!!! I love helping to write a post! We need to call each other more often, Frosty, if things like this come out of it.

Oh, one small mistake that I found near the beginning:

"but I could tell he approved of the Ben's skill."

I don't think the 'the' should be there.

Hehehehehee, I really like Mahala O'Kelly. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.