main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Elementary, My Dear Obi-Wan (the revised version)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Frostfyre, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I was thinking the same thing, Sarah. And its good to see that I'm not the only one who has double post issues [face_mischief]

8,854 blue bottles of Tabrulian beer on the wall,
    8,854 blue bottles of Tabrulian beer on the wall,
    And if one blue bottle should accidentally fall,
    There'll be...8,853 blue bottles of Tabrulian beer on the wall.

8,853 blue bottles...

2. Jedi_Nifet

Jedi_Nifet Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2002
  3. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    8,853 blue bottles of Tabrulian beer on the wall,
    8,853 blue bottles of Tabrulian beer on the wall,
    There'll be...8,852 blue bottles of Tabrulian beer on the wall.

8,852 blue bottles...

4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Lets not start with the singing again.

5. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    Lets not start with the singing again.

Oh, whyever not? It'll keep us warm! :D [face_devil]

8,852 blue bottles of Tabrulian beer on the wall,
    8,852 blue bottles of Tabrulian beer on the wall,
    There'll be...8,851 blue bottles of Tabrulian beer on the wall.

8,851 blue bottles...

6. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Look, no offense people, but please don't start the singing. I don't appreciate having to wade through so much spam to find the next story post when it comes. If you wish to show your appreciation for Frosty and her story by keeping the thread close to the top while you wait, then start a discussion, something actually related to what she's written. Speculate on what Qui-Gon is doing right now, or speculate on how Obi-Wan ended up in that particular street, or something like that. It will have the same effect and it will be infinitely more enjoyable for the rest of us to read. Again, no offense, and thanks!

7. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    All fellow D.R.O.P.P.E.R.S, it warms my heart to see the dedication again. But I'm afraid I'm with Jane Jinn on this one. This thread was to be kept free from all the bottles. But who knows, there might be another trip to Romania coming up? :p Just kidding!
    But where did Frosty go?

8. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    having a terrible terrible time with these stupid double posts. I offer a humble apology . . .

9. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    :p spoilsports ;) Singing is more interesting than a generic UP.

Now what are we supposed to do with over 8,000 bottles of blue beer?

Ummmm, never mind, I'll think of something . . . [face_devil]

How to speculate without spoiling? Most of the questions in my mind about this fine tale are how it will devate from the original (to compare I'd have to refer to what was posted in the original) and speculation on the cliffhanger we were left with several hundreds of bottles ago . . .

10. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    [rolling drums]

This is now an officially DRY thread!!! :D

[/drums]

Ri-i-ight. Speculation. Hmmm...

So this takes place at the time of Watson's engagement. You Holmesphiles here, what period are we talking about? 1894?

11. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    When you come up with an idea, let us know, greencat! I frankly don't want to take all those bottles home, or anything. :p (oh, and double posts happen to everyone, so we needn't worry)

Why *did* Obi-Wan wind up on that particular street? ?[face_plain] Bad luck? Or maybe good luck, since he might not have come into contact with Holmes for quite some time otherwise...

As for the time period, I'm not a history buff, so I can't answer. Anybody else? :)

Sarah >^,,^<

12. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Honeslty it's been too long since I read the first version of the story - I was too busy drinking Tabrulian beer. :D I can't remember what Obi was doing in that particular street or if Frosty even explained it.

That's why I'm enjoying this new edition so much, I'm discovering the whole story again! :) :)

13. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Well if Moriarty is alive then its set before 1891? Cause "The Final Problem" happened in 1891 and "The Adventure of the Empty House" happened three years later in 1894. Right? Or have I screwed up my dates again.

14. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Hey Sarah, don't you remember, 'there's no such thing as luck' ;)

I thought that Frosty did explain how Obi ended up there, but I'm not totally sure and I'm too lazy to go and look it up. I think its connected to why he and Qui split up.

As for the beer . . .

Beer Ribs
    Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
    1/3 cup dark beer
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    1 onion, minced
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 pounds lean pork spareribs, trimmed of excess fat and halved crosswise by butcher

In a large bowl combine well all the ingredients except the spareribs. In a kettle cover the spareribs with salted water. Bring them to a boil and simmer, skimming the froth, for 20 minutes. Drain and rinse briefly under cold water. Cut the ribs into 1-rib sections and add to the bowl of marinade, stirring to coat well. Let the ribs marinate, covered, at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours. Alternatively, chill them covered, overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange the ribs meaty side up in 1 layer in lightly oiled baking pans and brush with some marinade. Bake them in the middle of the oven, turning and basting occasionally, for 1 hour, or until tender and glazed. The ribs can be baked 1 day ahead and kept refrigerated, covered. Reheat in baking pan in preheated 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Yield: 6 servings
    Prep Time: 2 hours 15 minutes Cook Time: 3 hours

And (two recipes because there was ALOT of left over beer)

Chicken cooked in beer

Recipe courtesy Michiba and Morimoto, the Iron Chefs
    1 package chicken legs
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic powder, to taste
    2 tablespoons sesame oil
    1 cup beer
    4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
    3 colored bell peppers, diced
    4 tablespoons beef broth
    3 onions, chopped
    Cornstarch, mixed with a little water, as a thickening agent

Cut each chicken leg into 4 pieces. Marinate in soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oil. Saute until brown, slowly adding the beer. Once the beer evaporates, add 4 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce and sauti until all liquid is absorbed, and set aside. Saute bell peppers, in oil, beef broth, onions, salt, pepper and cornstarch for thickness. Top the chicken legs with the vegetables.

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes

If there is any beer left over from that, I have heard that you can actually drink the stuff, instead of cooking with it. But only if you're over 21 :D

15. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    [face_laugh] I missed your recipes, Greencat! I'll try this one too. :)

16. Sarah_K

Jun 10, 2001
    *smacks forehead* Of all the lines to forget! :p

And I happen to be under 21, so I guess the recipes are my only hope. :)

I don't think Frosty ever explained why *that street* inparticular... As for the dates: you're all WAY ahead of me. ;)

Sarah >^,,^<

17. JediRose

JediRose Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2001
    Yea! Frosty's back! (Haven't missed the posts, just been lurking.)

That gets rid of all the beer, but we still have the bottles.....

:D I have an idea.....

*begins buliding something*

*looks up* Can anyone donate something similar to a quilt? It'll be better if I have several.

*mutters under breath* Otherwise this will be a tad uncomfortable for someone....

*goes back to building*

JRose

18. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    [newsvid announcer voice] And now, this breaking news story: Important new plans for a massive controller ship have been stolen from Sluis Van ship yards. Authorities say they will have the plans back and the responsible party in custody in short order. Jabba the Hutt is taking bets at four to one odds that it will take them at least a standard week for the authorities to find their own backsides with both hands, though rumor has it the Jedi have become involved with the investigation. Three interested buyers have contacted SNN with bids for the plans and contact information, should the current owners wish to sell quickly. And now, back to your regularly scheduled story.

This public service message has been brought to you by the Smuggler's News Network. SNN brings you the latest news, faster and better than either the Alliance, Imperial, or Republic networks. Watch SNN, for all your information needs at reasonable prices.[/newsvid announcer voice]

19. Sarah_K

Jun 10, 2001
    LOL, Lilith! [face_laugh]

And here're some quilts, Rose.

UP!

Sarah >^,,^<

20. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    I have completely forgotten how Obi-Wan ended up in that street as well... Hm..
    Also I feel a bit ashamed, I haven't read any Sherlock books of any kind :eek: Am I alone?
    Anyway I find this story very interesting, despite my lack of Sherlockian knowledge :)
    Now... Any chance we'll be seeing a new post of any kind? *face_hopeful*

21. G2Jedi

G2Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2002
    I finally found this thread! The old one disappeared from My History records, and I could'nt find this one. Everything looks great though.

22. JediRose

JediRose Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2001
    *standing in front of numerous piles of glass bottles, all in the same shape*

Thanks for the quilts, Sarah. They'll help finish my project in here.

I could still use more quilts. The project's almost done! Thank you!

JRose.

23. JediCandy

JediCandy Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    excellent revise of a great story.

I am eagerly awaiting further posts...

JediCandy

24. FaranDune

FaranDune Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2002
    Hey, UP!!! More, please! I've read all you had before and I look forward to re-reading it so HURRY.

~Dune~

25. Frostfyre

Frostfyre Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 25, 1999
    Sorry for the delay, folks. I had foot surgery...on BOTH feet...ten days ago and only just got mobile enough to move to a computer with a phone line. Thanks for the patience...and thanks for not pursuing the bottle song! :D

Here you are:

The Diogenes Club, where Holmes's older brother spent his days, was located not too far from his apartments on Pall Mall, on a street comprised mainly of gentleman's clubs. The club itself was an odd one?it catered to gentlemen who wished solely to be left alone. They went there to avoid socializing, and spent hours in heavy silence. I suppose for some, it was pleasant. It was closing on noon when Holmes, Ben Kenobi, and myself stepped down from our hired carriage outside the Diogenes, and most of the crowd around us was comprised of gentlemen on their way to business or entertainment, with here and there small eddies of color that were women on their way to pay calls.

Before we had left Baker Street, it had been determined that Ben would require less-conspicious clothing. That had proved something of a problem, as Holmes was taller and leaner and I was shorter and heavier. A thorough search of both my wardrobe and that of Holmes?s had resulted in a reasonably presentable outfit for the young man, so long as no one looked closely enough to see the less-than perfect fit. A workman's cap, unearthed from Holmes's disguise closet, looked at odds with the rest of Ben's attire, but served to cover his strange hairstyle. The braid, refusing to remain tucked under the hat, was stuffed down the back of his shirtcollar.

The heavy fog of the previous night had burned off, and the sun shone in kind autumn warmth over the city. Ben?I found it easier to think of him as Ben, though I had not yet learned just how Mrs. Hudson came about calling him that?looked about him with open interest. "How many people live in this city?" I heard him ask Holmes.

"A little over four million," Holmes replied.

"So few?"

I turned to stare at the young man incredulously. "What do you mean? London is one of the largest cities in the world!"

Holmes, too, was watching him closely. Perhaps sensing he had let more slip than he'd intended, Ben changed the subject. "This man we're going to see?you said he was your brother, Mr. Holmes?"

For a moment, I didn't think Holmes would let him get away without an explanation. His grey eyes were keen on the younger man's face. Then, he seemed to relax. "Yes. My older brother, and my superior in intellect and observation skills."

"Is he? And is he also a consulting detective?"

Holmes laughed at that. "Heaven help us if he were! No, he is an accountant."

Now Ben's eyes were a sharp as Holmes's had been moments earlier. "But he is more than that."

"I will let you form your own conclusions about Mycroft Holmes," my friend replied. His voice was suddenly cool, giving nothing away.

The interior of the Diogenes Club was dim and plushly furnished. The porter, recognizing Holmes and me immediately, ushered our small group into the room where Mycroft spent most of his time. It was empty, but the man informed us that Mr. Holmes's brother would be along shortly.

I seated myself on the sofa, pausing to pour myself a snifter of brandy. Holmes accepted one as well, though Ben, taking a sturdy chair next to the window, declined. Holmes took up a position by the fireplace, resting one long arm on the mantelpiece. The room was silent, save for the soft ticking of the clock above the mantel. I sipped my brandy, allowing my gaze to wander about the comfortable, ornate room. As I did, it struck me again how very different these two brothers were. Where Holmes had little use for personal possessions?the clutter dominating his study and bedroom was not a result of avarice but rather an accumulation of items he found useful or interesting?Mycroft appeared to enjoy creature comforts. Everything in the room was in top condition and designed not only for an attractive appearance but also for su

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.