main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Elements you wish were in the OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MikeWW, Jul 18, 2019.

1. MikeWW

MikeWW Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2019
    I wish that the Rebellion felt bigger in the OT. Or at least had more context, like it does in Rogue One.
    Heck, the opening crawl of ESB makes it sound like Luke is the leader of the Rebellion.
    It's mostly ESB that drops the ball here since ANH is the introductory chapter/lowest budgeted one and RotJ DOES expand the Rebellion a bit with Mon Mothma and the Mon Cala.

I also wish that Coruscant was in RotJ (before 1997).

Post your wishlist here!

2. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Sex, violence, and nudity. Like George Lucas planned while making ANH.

3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Explore Leia's Force potential in more depth.

How Vader came to discover Luke's identity.

4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Wookies instead of Ewoks as originally planned in ROTJ

5. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Leia wielding a lightsaber.

Vader being Luke's older brother instead of his father.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  6. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    The entire cast should have been played by dwarfs.

BlackRanger likes this.
  7. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Make the whole movie in Japanese with subtitles. ;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  8. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    You've seen Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon? The crawls? They are a sensationalizing barker to whet the viewer's appetite and set up some key characters. Who's good, who's bad, what is the starting event. Bullet points. The protagonist compresses / represents / links / refers to / channels a larger backdrop or set of values. So you consume the crawl bullet point in ESB as 'Luke embodies a certain spirit or set of qualities that helps to distinguish the Rebellion from the Empire rather than a literal reading, "We are saying in no uncertain terms that Luke Skywalker is President of the Rebels." There is a knowing nostalgia for a simpler, serial, misrepresentation of reality implicit in consumption of the crawl.

If you require a numerically large Rebellion as early as SW77, do a manual estimation of numbers represented during the Triumph of the Wills Medal Ceremony. You should conservatively hit 3000. Nowhere in OT or PT are there 3000+ Imperials or Separatists depicted bodily in the same frame in line of sight.

That's a good question if George Lucas' Imperial Planet (Alderaan) of early drafts was an Azimov Trantor city-covered planet, or, more palatial like Forbidden City Bejing. He most certainly would have been up against another budgetary feat to pull off something that even remotely resembles what we think of CGI Coruscant using ESB (Cloud City) -era practical effects. The closest analogue that would NOT do the job we expect would be to have a super large model of a city like they did for Blade Runner (but that was terrestrial noir, not space-based neoclassical or interwar).
    https://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/how-the-blade-runner-opening-sequence-was-created-1284218/

I could handle director cuts that eschew complaints about pacing and fold back in the good deleted scenes with Anchorhead Biggs and ESB Leia arguing with Luke. I would also appreciate an alternate cut of ROTJ where Han Solo dies in the attack on the bunker, Lando and the Falcon do not make it out of the Death Star II, and Luke picks up the mask.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  9. StarGuppy

StarGuppy Jedi Padawan

Jul 27, 2017
    I'd like a further explanation of the cave on Dagobah and why it has man-made walls clearly visible. Who built those walls and why? The Heir to the Empire books mentioned a few things but I'd have liked to have seen more in the movies.

TOASTEROVEN and Darth Caliban like this.
  10. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Agreed. It was a definite built structure. A nice plot idea would have been maybe to tie it into the concept of Luke searching out the early Jedi temples in the ST

11. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I agree very strongly with this.

12. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't recall this detail or its sequence but could it have been reified / come into detection/reality as a function of Luke having that vision of Vader? (Journey to the Seventh Planet, for geezers)

BlackRanger likes this.
  13. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    More politics. No, not boring senate scenes or trade disputes. I'd be nice if there was some info on what is going on the galaxy.

Eike Starseeker likes this.
  14. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I would have preferred an entirely different species. Not space teddy bears nor something we have already seen in the 2 previous movies, but something both original and credible enough as opponents of the Empire, which the Ewoks are not.

christophero30 likes this.
  15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Han is a green alien. Had Abbadon in ROTJ.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  16. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    ^ There's a reason when The Shape of Water won its Best Picture Oscar, people at ILM started making jokes about Jabba the Hutt.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  17. WayoftheJedi

WayoftheJedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2019
    -Better choreographed lightsaber battles.
    -Wookies not Ewoks.
    -Lukes rescue plan revised.
    -Leia as Jedi in ROTJ with yellow lightsaber.
    -Leia/Luke at DSII vs Vader/Emperor.

18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    -Coruscant somewhere in one of the episodes (I'm sure it would've fit nicely somewhere), maybe at the end of ANH in the space between the big 3 reuniting on Yavin base and the throne room award ceremony, with Darth Vader communicating to Palpatine the destruction of the Death Star. It would be a great opportunity also to show Palpatine reacting as we might expect to this news.

-Imperial Ground troops and/or vehicles on Hoth in ESB, not just the five AT-ATs.

-More info on the origin of the cave on Dagobah (it's clearly a man-made structure. Where did it come from, what was it?)

-Luke training with Yoda to use a lightsaber.

-I would also reinsert the deleted scene at the beginning of ROTJ with Luke adjusting his lightsaber and putting it in R2. It's a shame that was left out.

19. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    I think ESB works better without an explanation for the cave in Dagobah. It just is; that's the beauty of it. Too often films these days over-explain things like that.

20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I get that. And believe me I don't feel like ESB is ruined or anything cos it's not explained. But to me one simple sentence would do it. I wouldn't really call that over-explaining. IMO just a little 20 second blurb like that for many different little details across the films could actually do a lot to expand our enjoyment and/or scope of the GFFA in general.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  21. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    A bittersweet ending with Han Solo dead, and Luke Skywalker riding off into the sunset. For the natives of Endor, I would also have preferred something different: not the Wookies but a new minor alien race, scary looking with repulsive practices - for example, reptilian humanoids who were overlooked by the Empire and so the Imperials are taken by surprise by their weapons and tactics. Even during the celebration of their shared triumph, we see the rebels still ill at ease with their new allies.

22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Wookies instead of ewoks, Luke and Leia not being related and The Royal Guards getting some action ala the Praetorian Guards in TLJ :cool:

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'd keep the Ewoks, but make them more ferocious. Show them burying the stormtroopers in "human wave" attacks that leave heaps of dead Ewoks around dead troopers. Give it the same kind of gravitas as the soldiers sacrificing themselves in R1.

Of course that would make it far less kid-friendly and change it from PG to PG-13, but it would be far more powerful, IMO.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  24. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    I'd like to see movies of TGFFA's fables, sagas, fairy tales and myths.

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  25. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Absolutely. Who knows what it is or how it came to be there? The viewer's imagination can fill in the blanks.

I agree with this kind of thinking 100%. No need to over-elaborate on things, leave them with some mystery and wonder. That is the narrative power sometimes of "less is more"