main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• BBC releases its 289 Bak10 Season Preview
    • UB Salis D'aar and Bakura Fleet Academy are expected to duke it out as favorites for the Bak10 title
      • UBSD and Fleet Academy are the last two winners of the conference
      • Each team is led by a Trieste in their senior (and final year of eligibility) year who has been elected captain by their teammates
        • Head coach Will Coxun of UBSD on forward Elza Trieste: "She plays with passion and smart. She walks the line, but never goes over it. She fired up this team last season and she's going to be a big part of our success this season"
        • Head coach Robbard Mc'Alpine of Fleet Academy on defender Gaius Trieste: "He has taken every level of verbal and physical abuse possible in his last four years and never broken discipline in the face of it. No matter what his origins, Trieste is a model Ensign and a born leader. If I had more players like him, I'd run college limmie"
    • Prytis College of Natural Sciences tabbed as a potential dark horse contender thanks to sophomore Avie Trieste
      • BBC analysts conclude: "She has a lot of raw talent. If she can control it and harness it, PCNS can go far"
    • All three Triestes are the adopted children of former Miner player/owner Falene Trieste
    • BBC's projected order of finish for the Bak10:
      • UB Salis D'aar
      • Bakura Fleet Academy
      • UB Telaan Valley
      • UB Cape Suzette
      • Atalanta University
      • Prytis College of Natural Sciences
      • Tiarest University
      • UB Gesco City
      • College of Deredith & Millicent
      • Evenvale University
    TAG: No one in particular, but maybe @Bardan_Jusik will get Justin and Randy interested :p

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  2. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    "The Pirates select Danny Vega from DTU." A bulky human with tanned skin and dark short cut hair approached. It was uncommon for the Pirates to select someone not from Carratos but, it seems they were forced into it. "The Bakura Miners are on the clock."

TAG: @Trieste

Vehn, jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  3. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Harle Quinn
    Salis D’aar, Bakura

My parents mean well. They really do.

But they do this every single time.

Let me back up. My parents immigrated to Bakura before I was born. When I look back on it, it was a gutsy move, uprooting their lives to go to a planet that’s 95% Human. Sure, we’re Near-Humans, but Near isn’t near enough to a lot of Bakurans (unless you’re Hapan and they can’t tell the difference). My parents don’t talk about it a whole lot. I do know that during the first month they lived here Mom, who didn’t have a job at the time, sat inside their apartment in Gesco City and cried every day because she didn’t know anybody on Bakura and felt so alone when Dad was at work. Heavy stuff.

For my entire life, as long as I can remember, my parents get super excited whenever they see a non-Human on Bakura. I have seen Dad knock beings out of the way so he can go say hello. If they could they’d be friends with every single one of those 5% of non-Humans on Bakura. It’s so embarrassing, and not just for me. I’ve seen Rodians go from green to red because it’s so awkward. My parents don’t even notice that they’re being weird. Even though I’ve come to expect it, I still get embarrassed.

Like right now.

My Dad has dragged a Falleen into my living room. She’s young, maybe around my age. She has those severe cheekbones that all Falleen have and is holding a bag of groceries in one hand. Her hair is done in the distinctive ponytail of her species, but instead of it being ebony it’s scarlet. Solid red. I’m pretty sure she dyed it, but I’ve never heard of a Falleen dying her hair before. SHe gives off this edgy vibe...which is probably not helping the situation.

“Harle, this is one of your neighbors!” Dad says. Fantastic. I’m going to get a reputation as “the pink lady with the crazy parents” and I haven’t even lived here for a day. Gold star, Dad.

“Hi. I’m Harle,” I say, extending my hand. “Don’t take this the wrong way, but Dad kidnaps everyone who’s…” Oh great. Wonderful. Let’s talk about complicated race issues in the first 30 seconds we know each other. You’re smarter than this, Harle.

“Pamilla Ixlay,” the Falleen says, taking my hand cautiously with the one not occupied with groceries. “It’s spelled I-X-L-A-Y.”

“Oh, so the X is pronounced like a ‘sh’ sound?” Mom says. “Like Prince Xizor!”

I slam my other hand into my face. Oh yeah Mom. Let’s compare my neighbor to a famous crime lord who thought he was more awesome than Darth Vader and got himself BLOWN UP for it. Smooth Mom. Smooth.

“Yes, that’s right,” Pamilla says, withdrawing her hand from mine, a little too quickly to be polite. Oh I’ve seen this look before. It’s the “crazy Zeltrons are talking to me and how can I get out of this” look. My junior prom date had it. My senior prom date had it. My summer camp friend had it. I’m beginning to expect I have it. “I take it you have just moved here?”

“Oh, yes, Harle just moved back to Bakura from Cloud City. We’re from Gesco City originally. She’s going to be on the Miners this season,” Dad says proudly.

And there goes any chance of being treated like a normal being by my neighbor. Not like there was much chance of that left anyways thanks to Mom and Dad. Pamilla looks over my shoulder at the holoprojector. “The Miners? Is that a sport thing?” she asks. “Is that why you have that on?”

I perk up. She doesn’t know what limmie is? Maybe this can be salvaged. I mean, yes, I love beings knowing who I am, but this has already gone south in a big way. “Yeah, just a little thing,” I said, leading Pamilla out of the living room. “We’ll talk about it sometime. I bet your groceries need to get in the fridge and you probably have about a zillion other things to do. You seem like a busy being. We’ll catch up later sometime. Bye!” I close the door behind her without letting her get another word in. That might only prompt my parents to continue the conversation.

“Harle!” Mom scolds. “I didn’t even get to offer her something to drink!”

“Mom, we don’t have anything to drink in here,” I point out, “and she had just gone shopping I’m sure she had enough food to not starve on the long trek through the sands of Tatooine back to her apartment down the hall.”

“Well it’s the principle behind it! I’ll have to bake something for her before we go back to the City,” she says. That’s what a lot of locals call where I grew up, “the City.” The rest of the planet says “Gesco City.”

Yes, fine, anything. Just do it later and leave it for me to deliver after you’ve gone so I can apologize for having insane parents who can’t control themselves at the sight of a non-Human. I’m so distracted by this that I barely hear Cundertol announce, “The Bakura Miners, with the eighteenth selection in the 289 ELL Draft, select LouEl Calaran Defensive Back, Valorum University.” He pauses. “The Mando’ade Mercs are--finally--on the clock.”

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Now can I just get through the rest of today without my parents molesting other non-Humans? That’d be great, thanks.

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik

Vehn, SWNerd11, Bardan_Jusik and 2 others like this.
  4. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From the oyu'baat cafe, on at the Mercs draft party. It's draft night! Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the defending Galactic Cup Champion Mando'ade Mercs..."

"Oya, oya, oya!"

"...I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker and Kitterich back at the studio and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"It's the draft, always lots to talk about!"

"The start of new professional careers, the potential for a down on their luck franchise to turn things around, the chance for an already winning club to add the talent needed to get over the hump and win a title..."

"And for the team that has won four out of the last five Galactic Cups..."

"Oya, oya, oya!"

"...the opportunity to add to their dynasty."

"That...that's going to be tough Justin, they only have the one pick..."

"The last pick."

"...in this draft."

"That's true, that's true. Luckily they don't have many holes to fill though either, and you figure free agency is alway something they won't feel shy about diving into, not with the team they already have."

"The big question really then is, what happens to Mercs star midfielder Kyr Irvin?"

"There has been little to no movement in trade talks over the last several months, ever since he demanded the trade, and I don't know that the Mercs will be able to pull anything off here."

"That doesn't sound so bad to me, we get to keep a star player just entering his prime. Even if he is unhappy here, what's the downside?"

"He holds out of camp, and refuses to play until he gets traded."

"That's nuts."

"Yet it's what his agent insists he is willing to do."

"Shab."

"Yeah, apparently things are that toxic in the Mercs clubhouse, at least between he and Fu Arock, and then by extension the rest of the forwards. There is just no way to repair this relationship."

"Any signs the Mercs have made any progress?"

"Last I heard the Miners, Starkillers and Senators, his preferred destinations all professed a lack of interest."

"That's...surprising."

"Really? The Miners are pretty set at mid..."

"No, not from the Bakura, I didn't really see the fit there, and besides, joining a team that has gone to so many finals recently? Not really going out and winning on his own like he claims he wants to do."

"Right. More like piggybacking on their own recent success."

"Exactly, but the Starkillers. They are a team on the verge of greatness, I would think they would at least kick the tires and see what it would take to garner a talent like Irvin."

"Maybe they think his attitude wouldn't fit their team concept, they are a tightly knit franchise."

"Yeah, then what about the Sens? Fans there are going nuts about league disparity and wondering when it's going to be 'their turn', again. They should be jumping at the chance to acquire a talent like Irvin for pennies on the credit."

"I don't know what to tell you. They're not interested."

"So...is anybody?"

"Heard a rumor about the Patriots looking to potentially trade future picks for him, but those talks didn't go very far."

"Well...shab. That's too bad, the Mercs could use future picks"

"Yeah, that's it. So something to keep an eye on as the draft goes forward. Maybe some team's midfielder of the future gets drafted by someone else and they panic themselves into a trade."

"If not, well if not it's going to be a long night for us here waiting for the Mercs to pick the next Mr or Ms Irrelevant."

"Hey, the last one did OK for them."

:bb8::bb8::bb8:

Roughly an hour later.

"Gentlebeings, we have a trade," Commissioner Lokensgaard announced. The fans cheered. Trades were the best part of the draft every year.

"However, this is not a trade of draft selections." The crowd murmured. This was highly unusual.

"The Mando'ade Mercs trade Kyr Irvin, midfielder, to..." He milked the moment. "...the Bakura Miners in exchange for Jolla Pic, midfielder."

"Say...what?"

"That's..."

"What the shab?!?"

"You thinks that's nuts guys, I have a rumor that's going to absolutely blow you away."

"Not sure I can take anything more Kitterich, but lay it on us."

"Mercs have been in contact with the agent for free agent forward Zap Dos, who was a big part of the Minner's attack last season."

"I can't believe they even let him go."

"Budget constraints."

"What and the Mercs don't have those?"

"Of course they do, but they have no choice. If they want to keep winning, they have to spend, and spend big. The cupboard is bare when it come to draft picks and acquiring cheap talent under long term team control...

"OK, who is the Evil Empire now?"

"Mercs Nation baby, Mercs Nation."

Several hours later.

"With the last pick of the 289 ELL first year player draft, the Glactic CUP Champion Mando'ade Mercs select Devanti Parkwaad, Full Forward, VCU."

"Mercs grabbing another VCU product..."

"Well why not? Seems to be working for them so far."

TAG: @Trieste for end of draft.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Vehn, Trieste, Runjedirun and 2 others like this.
  5. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"The college limmie season is set to get under way and the HSN pre-season rankings have been announced."

"Last season's champion University of Csilla starts the defense of their title from the number two spot."

"Not sure they deserve to be ranked that high."

"While last year's runner up in the quadruple overtime thriller get the nod as the preseason number one..."

"I know they don't deserve to be that high."

"Meanwhile after an off season of controversy for both KMI and The..."

"Thank you."

"Ord Sabaok University, the pollsters have spoken. KMI starts out the season back at number 22 after firing head coach Ur'ban Meyer following their missing out on the playoff for their first time in school history."

"I think they over reacted there."

"Me too, but kind of glad they did."

"That allowed the Starbucks of tOSU to swoop in and grab him as their new head coach, firing their own coach just a year after leading the Starbucks to their first ever appearance in those finals."

"We've been linked to Me'yer for years, glad they finally got it done. Feel bad for..."

"Those Starbucks start the year ranked 13..."

"S16 looking strong this year."

"...while the University of Kashyyyk, University of Zeltros and Taanab A&M University round out your top five."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

HSN Pre-Season Top 25

1. Grand Vulptur System University
    2. University of Csilla
    3. University of Kashyyyk
    4. University of Zeltros
    5. Taanab A&M University
    6. Druckenwell Technical University
    7. Norand University, Carratos
    8. University of Shili
    9. University of Onderon Rupings
    10. University of Kuat
    11. University of Tatooine, Anchorhead
    12. Citadel University of Anaxes
    13. The Ord Sabaok University
    14. UB Telaan Valley
    15. Ryloth Ag and Tech University
    16. Chiss Ascendancy University, Pesfavri
    17. Prytis College of Natural Sciences
    18. University of Dantooine
    19. College of Deredith &M illicent
    20. Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa
    21. Bakura Fleet Academy
    22. Keldabe Military institute
    23. Gargarrump University, Kashyyyk
    24. Ralltiir University
    25. University of Bison

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Bakura Miners part ways with several Galactic Cup winners
      • Polly Malu (Zeltron, Female, Half Back)
      • Norm Hoti (Human, Male, Corner Back)
      • Becca "Newt" Jordan (Human, Female, Corner Back)
    • Miners reportedly could not meet their contract demands due to taking on the Irvin contract
    • Jangle (Gran, Female, Half Back) assigned to Cloud City Sky Captains
    • HSN analyst: "The Miners, who had the best defense in the last regular season, will bring in two new starting corner backs and two rookies. They've made wholesale changes before and gotten away with it, but this is still risky"
    TAG: None

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  7. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Tom & Von

“Not now,” Von’kedo pleaded sleepily.

N17 whistled and beeped louder.

“What do you mean I have class in 20 minutes? Kriff, I’ll never make it in time,” she cursed as she threw off her covers and rushed towards her closet. There was no time for a shower. Von’kedo grabbed some leggings, slipped into them, put on a pair of jeans over top. “Make sure my caf is ready,” Von’kedo called to N17 as she put on a second shirt.

Von’kedo paused and looked out the kitchen window as she put on a pair of mittens and grabbed her thermos of hot caf. She could see Tomas out on the field. His breath a gush of white air pouring out of his mouth. The entire team was out there, running drills up and down the field. She had no idea how they practiced outside. Von’kedo thought they were crazy. She had been born and raised on Tatooine. This cold burned her skin. Quickly she wrapped a scarf around her face and walked out into the hallway which led to a parking deck where her speeder was parked.

Other beings would laugh and call her soft for bundling up when she didn’t even have to be outside more than a few minutes to walk to class. She didn’t care, besides there was nothing “soft” about someone who could stand the heat on Tatooine.

Tomas ran alongside fellow midfielder Davy Lawco. Lawco was hogging the ball. Stealing his spotlight. Tomas ran ahead, hoping to get a pass. “I’m open,” he said. The ball was passed to Forward and team captain Yolanda Dunerider. Dunerider gave the ball a mighty kick into a keeperless goal.

“Run it again,” Coach Dash called.

Tomas jogged back into position. This time when Lawco started to dribble Tomas didn’t run alongside to fend off defenders. Instead he slipped his foot in and stole the ball, “Hey I’m your teammate,” a confused Lawco interjected.

Tomas was already downfield he sent the ball sailing into the goal with a powerful kick of his own. A whistle blew, “Vigo! What the hell! You’re out of position.” Coach Dashric Stonlon looked around the field. “Sniider you’re in for Vigo.”

Tomas’ eyes widen in disbelief. “You can’t pull me,” he stated firmly as he approached the head coach.

“I can and I just did. You aren’t following the plays. Take a seat,” Dash said firmly pointing at the bench.

“Who do you think signs your paycheck?” Tomas asked the head coach. Dash did his best to ignore the rookie as he watched Wylma Sniider take position next to Lawco. “I’ll tell you who signs your paycheck,” Tomas said interjecting his thoughts. “My brother, Richard Vigo. He wants me to start on Sunday. It’s your job to make him happy. It’s also your job to win games and without me on the field that’s not going to happen.”

“You done?” Dash asked casually when Tomas stopped talking.

Tomas just looked coldly at his coach.

“If you don’t follow the plays during practice I can’t trust you to follow them during games. You think of no one but yourself and we are never going to win that way. You are one of 15 beings that needs to work together. I’ve seen your talent Vigo and I want to use it. That’s why you’re here. Take a time out. When you refocus you can have another chance.”

Tomas didn’t want to make a scene. He just wanted to play Limmie. He sat on the cold bench, leaned over and adjusted a heater to blow on his feet so they wouldn’t go numb. He grabbed a blanket and wrapped up, this wasn’t so bad he mused as a droid came by and offered him a warm cocoa.

Just when Tomas was getting comfortable he saw someone coming. Ty Allin, what was he doing here? Wasn’t he supposed to be working with the defense? “Taking a break rookie?” Ty said taking a seat next to him. “What’s the matter, the pro game too hard for you?”

“Shut-up,” Tomas quipped.

“I saw you steal that ball from Lawco, those are some mad skills you have my friend,” Ty complimented. “But that wasn’t the play Coach Dash asked you to run was it?”

“No,” Tomas answered Ty honestly. Ty was Tomas’ friend. He couldn’t lie to Ty.

“You better learn your place fast if you want to survive here,” Ty warned. “No one likes a rookie who tries to call plays. It’s a right you have to earn. You make a few nice passes on Sunday, maybe a good hard tackle, you’ll start to get some respect.”

Tomas was tired of earning respect. He’d been doing it his whole life. He was a pro now, even if he was just a rookie and he didn’t want to be subjected to a second rate role. Sometimes in order to get people off your back you had to say the right things. “I just got carried away,” he explained to Ty. “I’ve been waiting my whole life for this chance and I got anxious.”

“Well don’t let it happen on Sunday,” Ty said sternly. Tomas watched as his friend hopped off the bench and rubbed his hands together to warm them. Ty ran into the tunnel towards the locker room. Tomas noticed the defense was no longer on the field. They had probably gone in for lunch or maybe to watch tape. Dash didn’t look like he was ready to break anytime soon. He was scrolling through a long list of plays on his data pad deciding which one to run next. That was just fine with Tomas. He wanted all the practice he could get before the Monarchs came to town. “Coach,” Tomas called to Dash. “I’m refocused.”

It was a few more minutes before Dash allowed Tomas to come back on the field. Tomas humored his coach and ran along side of Lawco pretending to ward off defenders. At least he was getting some miles on his legs. When practice finally broke Tomas stayed on the field. He grabbed a bag of balls and spread them out around the field. One by one he dribbled them around the field and shot them at the goal, on about the third one he noticed a figure standing between the goal posts. “Think you can score one me Vigo?” Cliff Tuff called out.

Tomas didn’t answer. He just told his legs to run faster. He didn’t run straight towards the goal, he ran left, then right, swerved, faked and when he thought Cliff wasn’t expecting it he took aim and fired. Cliff put his hands in the air and leaped easily intercepting Tomas’ shot. “Try again!” Cliff called.

Tomas did try again. He shot ball after ball and two of them out of about 40 got by Cliff. “Sun’s going down,” Cliff said as he caught a final attempt. “That’s when I go in,” he said. “Thanks for the practice.”

Tomas decided to go in as well. He called for a droid to collect the remaining equipment and headed down the tunnel towards the locker room. The lights were out when he got there, Tomas was too tired to realize something was up. He reached for the switch as Tomas’ fingers moved it upwards a popping was heard. Several lights exploded above Tomas causing a small electrical fire. Sprinklers came to life, quickly Tomas switched the lights back off and grabbed a fire extinguisher. It was a good thing he had worked in this locker room for so many seasons before leaving for college. Tomas quickly extinguished the fire. He took a seat on a bench exhausted, covered in foam from the fire extinguisher and in a little bit of a state of shock.

Suddenly Tomas heard a few claps. Then suddenly more clapping and even some cheers. “You put out the fire,” Ty said with a laugh.

“Huh?” Tomas was beyond confused.

“These guys,” Ty said pointing at Tomas’ teammates. “Thought you were going to panic. I told them Tomas Vigo would keep his cool.”

“So this was some kinda test,” Tomas grumbled.

“Don’t worry,” Yolanda said stepping in front of the team. She placed a hand on Tomas’ shoulder. “You passed! You showed us you can work under pressure, even when you’re tired. You’re going to make a great mid fielder.”

Tomas was more frustrated than before. Wasn’t his play on field enough for these beings? What about all those years he had handed some of these player’s towels and cups of water? Folded their laundry and even sorted their socks? When was he ever going to really win their respect? All Tomas wanted to do was get cleaned up and go home. Lucky for him, home was upstairs in one of the apartments built into Financial Square. “Do the showers work?” Tomas asked.

Tomas heard a familiar affirmative whistle. “N17 were you in on this?”

The droid beeped defensively.

“Go home and get dinner on,” Tomas ordered the droid. “Before I reprogram you,” he threatened.

Tomas was satisfied at least as he watched the droid scurry away. He had built the droid himself, it had some glitches, but he could never reprogram it. It was hard to explain N17 had become part of Tomas and Von’kedo’s little family.

Von’kedo was nestled under two blankets on the couch when N17 entered the apartment. “Where have you been?” She asked.

The droid gave a short reply.

Von’kedo had learned to ignore the droids snootiness. “How about making me some hot soup,” she requested.

The droid responded with a testy beep and some whistles.

“I don’t care if Tomas is tired of soup, it’s freezing outside,” Von’kedo said as she scrolled through another practice test question on her data pad. Von’kedo was able to answer about 5 more questions before the apartment door opened again. This time it was Tomas.

“I smell soup,” he pouted.

N17 whistled and beeped.

“Make a sandwich to with mine,” he called back. Then Tomas dropped his bag on the floor and looked over towards Von’kedo. “How’s the most beautiful doctor in the world?”

“I’m not a doctor yet,” Von’kedo said tapping her data pad. “Got a bunch of tests to pass before I can even start my residency.”

“You don’t need to pass a test to massage a cramp out of my calf, do you?” Tomas was already rolling up his pant leg.

“Come on over,” Von’kedo said patting a spot next to her. As soon as Tomas sat down she got to work, “Muscle is tight.” She observed. “And what’s this?” She asked seeing a fresh scrape on his hand.

“Oh, you would never believe how I got that,” Tomas answered.

“Try me.”

“A fire extinguisher. I had to put out an actual fire in the locker room,” Tomas explained.

“You’re right, I don’t believe you,” Von’kedo said as she got up and headed to the fresher for some ointment and a bandage. Once she had Tomas bandaged up it was time for dinner. Von’kedo took her seat at the table and looked out to see the cover being put on the Limmie field. “Is it going to rain?” She asked.

“It’s going to snow,” Tomas said already a bite into his sandwich.

“Snow,” Von’kedo repeated. “I’ve never seen snow. What’s it like?” She asked excitedly.

Tomas just shrugged and dipped his sandwich into his soup before taking another bite.

“Will they play the game Sunday if it snows?” Von’kedo asked.

“It will be done snowing by Sunday,” Tomas answered. “But, yes even if it snows, we play Limmie.”

“Wow,” Von’kedo murmured.

Tomas laughed. “You’re going to hate the snow,” he said. “It’s like a sandstorm, but it’s wet and freezing. I’d tell you to wear an extra layer tomorrow, but I don’t think you possibly could.”

Von’kedo didn’t mind Tomas’ remarks. She wasn’t embarrassed to be cold. Luckily she didn’t have classes tomorrow so she could stay inside. The stadium provided endless entertainment, there was shopping, restaurants and even a holo theater.

“So how was practice?” She asked.

“Same ol’, same ol’,” Tomas replied. “Can’t wait for the season to finally start.”

“You’ll get your wish in two days,” Von’kedo reminded him.

Von’kedo heard her stomach growl again. “Okay, okay,” she told her hunger. She’d avoided getting out from under the warm bed covers all morning. She’d been awake several hours, she’d just been studying in bed. She headed to the closet for a pair of fleece pants and hoodie before venturing into the kitchen. “Oh my goodness,” she said to no one in particular. “It’s, it’s snowing!” To someone who had lived on Tatooine their whole lives the view outside was incredible.

Von’kedo just had to experience it for herself. After breakfast she bundled up and headed out for a walk, just one quick lap around the stadium, she thought. She stepped outside and the fluffy white flakes touched her face. They were cold, but not so bad. Everything was so white and beautiful. Then the wind blew and her exposed skin burned fiercely. Nothing was beautiful anymore. Von’kedo quickly turned around and headed back inside.

Tag: @SWNerd11

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Nar Shaddaa Smugglers hire former Defensive Coordinator Autumn Graves back into the fold. This will be Autumn's second tenure as defensive coordinator
      • Mylessa McCloud on hiring: "We're hoping to have some lightning in a bottle on this one. Last year was rough. It's a whole new year. Anything can happen"
    • Martia Paak's contract extended for three years to 292
    • Erin Windreaver's contract extended for three years to 292
    • Gretta Hardy, Right Corner Back, released by Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    TAG: @Vehn

Vehn and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  9. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    OOC: Posting this now on the assumption we are starting the limmie season tomorrow. If we don't, well there just won't be college scores next week. :p

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Week one of the college limmie season is in the books, and already the KMI limmie warriors have their first loss of the season, a 14-2 laugher against the Aggies of Tanaab A&M."

"Going to be a long year for them I think..."

"Total over reaction getting rid of Me'yer."

"Elsewhere, University of Tatooine, Anchorhead were also losers in their season opener, but by a narrower 8-5 margin."

"They looked a little lost early but were righting the ship late."

"And the Ensigns of Bakura Fleet started their 289 campaign with a 13-8 win over Evenvale."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

HSN Top 25 after Week One

2. University of Csilla
    4. University of Zeltros
    5. Taanab A&M University
    6. Druckenwell Technical University
    7. Norand University, Carratos
    8. University of Shili
    10. University of Kuat
    11. Citadel University of Anaxes
    12. UB Telaan Valley
    13. The Ord Sabaok University
    14. University of Tatooine, Anchorhead
    15. Ryloth Ag and Tech University
    16. Prytis College of Natural Sciences
    17. College of Deredith & Millicent
    18. Bakura Fleet Academy
    19. Gargarrump University, Kashyyyk
    20. Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa
    21. Chiss Ascendancy University, Pesfavri
    22. University of Dantooine
    23. Ralltiir University
    24. University of the Northern Industrial District
    25. University of Bison

Trieste likes this.
  10. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    OOC: Let's get my return to the ELL started off, right, shall we?

IC: Shady Lerouex
    289 ABY
    A Week Before the Season Opener

"That's a wrap!" the director of the music video said as the production crew whistled and clapped.

Shady let out a sigh of relief. She was done. Filming was done. The music video to kick off her last season of Elite League Limmie was complete. She'd been reluctant at first to do such a video but after some convincing from her teammates, and a few fan letters, Shady had agreed. The extra pay didn't hurt either.

"I think you'll like the final product, Shady," the director explained.

"Don't disappoint me," Shady replied as she stepped off the stage and away from the bright lights.

"Oh, I don't think you have anything to worry about," the director said with a knowing smile. "This video is magic. You're a natural. Have you ever considered a career in holos?"

Shady shook her head. "I hadn't."

"You should," the director said, "people would pay to see you in an action film. I've got a few ideas. Why don't you give me a call after the season ends and you've had some time to think about your future."

"Thanks," Shady replied, "maybe I will."

Coruscant
    Game Day

Shady finished lacing up her cleats and gave herself a quick onceover in the mirror of the visiting locker room. She was ready. She was ready to begin her final season in the Elite League.

Except there was one problem. The song from her music video was stuck in her head. It had been released a few days ago on the Holonet. People loved it. Her teammates had been humming it on the shuttle ride over. It'd already hit nearly 1.3 billion views in a 72 hour period on the galactic streaming service.

Crazy.

"Hey, Wicked," Erin Windreaver teased, "we going to win today?"

"You know it," Shady replied.

That was her new nickname, Wicked.

She made her way down the tunnel and reflected briefly on her journey to the Elite League. She'd been courted heavily by the Miners, being that she went to UBSD. The song began again in her head. Shady couldn't help but smile. Somehow the song fit her life to a tee. The lyrics swirled in her mind. It was such a catchy little tune. It was the story of her rise to Limmie stardom.

Shady remembered sitting backstage during the draft waiting for her name to be called. Rumors swirled that she wouldn't leave the first round.

Then the stunner that still stung hard and motivated her to break her enemies resolve. Bakura had gone with a different direction. They'd selected Jolla Pic in the first round.

Finally the moment I was hoping would come
    The moment Bakura would realize they chose the wrong one There isn't any curse I could cast to match this feeling
    The pain I knew when Bakura turned it's back on my heart At last will be Jolla Pic's when her life falls apart
    Suddenly the future's looking more appealing

Revenge settled into her heart. The old fire returning once more.

Once I was filled with rage
    Now I enjoy the ride
    t's so electrifying
    Watching all of my enemies dreams denied

Oh I will fly into tomorrow
    My rivals full of sorrow
    Finally paying for their sins
    I'll smile all the while they're crying

Inside they're slowly dying

Wicked always wins
    Oh evil may be powerful
    But wicked always wins

"You've got one hell of a voice," Helen Ripley called out, "I didn't know you could sing so well. I'm green with envy!"

"It's quite catchy," Zelena Wiles said humming the tune, "I dare say you may have a number one hit on your hands!"

If they could see me now they would ache with regret
    Cause my enemies will witness all the glory wickedness gets
    They went and made Jolla Pic queen and my blood boiled
    But that's all history
    Time they all understood
    What they call green with envy
    I just call looking good

Oh I will fly into tomorrow
    My rivals full of sorrow
    Finally paying for their sins

The strife their life was so enchanted
    They took it all for granted
    Now they'll dream what could've been
    Oh evil may be powerful
    But wicked always

"Playing left corner forward, in what is her last season, please welcome for the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers, number 15, Shady Lerouex!!!!" The announced bellowed.

Shady pumped her fist as she received a standing ovation from the Smuggler faithful who'd made the journey out to Coruscant. She also received plenty of boos from the black and orange Senator contingent. She leaped through smoke and flame to take her place at midfield.

"Wicked! Wicked! Wicked!" The Crew chanted as Shady celebrated with a ferocious scream.

The rest of the Smugglers huddled around Shady. She was pumped. She was ready to dish out some pain. She raised her head above the huddle and sighted in Christine Gamble. Perhaps this was her last season as well. She wasn't sure. The two made eye contact. This wasn't going to be like previous Rim Wars. This was going to be something else entirely: a blood bath.

"Hey, hey," Shady screamed out, "this is the start of our journey. This is the start of something special. We're going back to the Cup this year! You hear me? The road to the Cup starts now!

Shady started to sing and the others joined her:

This time nobody's gonna stop me
    No evil's gonna top me
    Oh wicked always wins
    A happy ending will be mine
    Cause wicked always wins

"Wicked always wins!" the team yelled as they took their positions on the field.

Shady settled into her stance as the two teams gathered to play the first game of the 289 Elite League Limmie season.

"Here we go," she whispered to herself as the whistle blew.

Tag: @Trieste; @Jedi Gunny

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Monarchs announce roster of fifteen starters and two reserves, despite rumors that they would maintain at least a nineteen player roster. Coaching staff also reduced to Head Coach, Assistant, and three Coordinators. All players' contracts were renegotiated to expire in 291 with the exceptions of Lai'anya (Zeltron, Female, Midfielder) who is fulfilling her rookie contract, Maggie Adams (Human, Female, Center Half Forward) who continues to be the team captain, and Aley Helios (Human, Female, Full Back) whose previous contract does not expire until after the 293 ELL season
    • Entire Front Office Staff removed amid the change in ownership. Kelsei Seter only non-coach to retain her position. Corrie Anderson has been promoted to Assistant Head Coach of the Monarchs after the announcement that Lex Silas accepted the Head Coaching position of the Byblos Red Wings. Mia Silas will join her husband as his Assistant Coach of the Red Wings, along with Winnifred Aptos and Edu Ovando as Offensive and Defensive Coordinators, respectively. Cali Royd, Staweh-Tam Ford, and Mara Singus are promoted to Offensive, Defensive, and Special Teams Coordinators, respectively, of the Monarchs
    • Galactic Sports Entertainment, the private equity firm that owns the Monarchs, appoints Eowin Oriel-Elmeslac, daughter of Chairman Kynidi Oriel, as President of the Monarchs. Meanwhile, Eoin Oriel, son of Chairman Oriel, was appointed President of the Red Wings.
    • Biedo Nazug and Laura Cynd-Nazug were not offered any positions and Beks Vidda announces his full retirement from both playing and coaching
    • Following players have been lent to the Byblos Red Wings and will play in the Premier League this season:
      • Corner Back: Val Keller (Female, Human) Contract year: 290
      • Corner Back: Jeremy Townsel (Male, Human) Contract year: 289
      • Full Back: Liddy Powe (Female, Zeltron) Contract year: 291
      • Half Back: Carly Ly'Rane (Female, Human) Contract year: 289
      • Midfielder: Cotts'lan'tnanam (Male, Chiss) Contract year: 291
      • Midfielder: Margaret "Maggie" Rhee** (Female, Zeltron) Contract year: 289
      • Half Forward: Dwayne Hicks (Male, Human) Contract year: 290
      • Half Forward: Rhonda Gabor (Female, Human) Contract year: 291
      • Full Forward: Leia Vargaras (Female, Human) Contract year: 289
      • Corner Forward: Jynn Takana (Female, Human) Contract year: 289
      • Corner Forward: Turk Caiocos (Male, Human) Contract year: 290
    • "We are putting forth the most competitive team with the talent we currently have at our disposal," stated General Manager Bryant Nathans. "Our contract renegotiations have allowed us to reduce our ticket and concession prices for the forthcoming season"
    • Current speculations is that the reduced ticket pricing is the feeble attempt of a fledgling ownership group to garner favor with a fanbase that is growing restless with only one Galactic Cup victory in the past twenty years
    TAG: @SWNerd11

12. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Boutros Sabah
    Boutros's Apartment, O'Pahz, Carratos

Boutros's eyes open to an early morning, the sun is not even out yet but, she is awake. There was a soft groan from beside her as Tian shifted in her sleep. A deep contented sigh left her chest looking upon the face of her loved one. They'd been together for nine years now, since the 281 season, when Tian came to terms with her condition. No one outside of Boutros, Tian's Aunt, and a few doctors knew about Tian's Dissociative Identity Disorder. It really wasn't anyone else's business, now that it was under control. It was still a scary time for them.

That time was well behind them now, now was the time to get ready for training. It was the first day of training, the day that places were decided for the season. See who would be starting, and who would be warming the bench. Boutros was in a good place but, there were three new backs just waiting to take her place. The Pirates had a lackluster defense last season so it seemed the higher ups wanted to sure up the back line, Boutros's line. She might have been older but, she wasn't going to just let her place be taken, not by a long shot.

The defender threw off the covers and made her way to the 'fresher. Flicking on the lights Boutros squinted her eyes against the glare, behind her Tian stirred grumbling a little.

"Five more minutes." She mumbled.

"Oh, sorry," Boutros apologized closing the door. Tian always slept in every morning, did everything she could to get as much sleep as she could. Boutros was always an early riser, and a light sleeper, an old habit. She put a hand on her back, where the large Howlrunner was tattooed on her magenta skin, a reminder of her past. A past she had put far behind her. Her motions this morning were a little slower, her muscles still a bit sore from her training yesterday, in preparation for the first day of team training.

A quick shower later she rubbed Tian's purple and pink hair, waking her.

"Come on Sweet Cake," She said using Tian's nickname given her by her foster father, "time to get up, for real this time."

Another groan as she buried her face into the pillow like a child. It was cute, and showed that she was in fact Sweet Cake this morning. Not her more violent personality, Wild Nex. She had a slip, as they had taken to calling them, in a while. However it was still something that was just beneath the surface, waiting to come out. It wasn't like Tian would change without warning, she'd learned to recognize the signs, know what situations would put her in danger of slipping. Thankfully Wild Nex had calmed down a little, and no longer saw Boutros as a threat.

She still wasn't a pleasant being but, she had come to terms with the fact that she was a part of a larger whole.

An hour later and they were at Arcadia Colosseum dressed in their practice jerseys. As Boutros pulled the hem of her jersey down she was greeted by a young woman with dark blond hair and steel grey eyes.

"So you're Sabah huh…" She said crossing her toned arms, biceps pulling her sleeves tight. "The starting corner back?"

"Yeah,"

"Well, you're not going to be starting for long." The unknown woman stepped forward standing at the same height as the Zeltron attempting to intimidate her. "That spot is mine."

"Should I know you?" Boutros asked a little confused.

"I'm Kinley Molin, from Norand University." The woman replied almost disgusted at Boutros's lack of knowledge.

The older defender thought for a moment searching her memory.

"Oh…yeah, aren't you the tenth ranked defender we took in the second round."

A sharp breath left Molin's teeth, "Those scouts just got it wrong, I know I'm better than that, I'll prove it." She stepped even closer puffing her chest out. "And I not afraid of you." Molin brushed past bumping Boutros in the shoulder.

Boutros watched her walking away with an arched brow.

"Don't mind her." A voice called from behind. She turned to see a bulky Twi'lek with an apologetic smile on his face. "That whole ranking thing really got to her."

"A friend of yours?"

He rubbed the back of his head looking away, "As much as one can be. We played on the same line last year, and both declared for the draft at the same time, so…I guess that makes us friends."

"You gunning for my spot too?"

"Nah…I'm just happy to be on this team. If I start I start, I'm content to let the cards fall where they may."

"See you out there then." Boutros said making her way out onto the practice field. The team lined up under the watchful gaze of One-Eye Logan as he moved up and down looking them over from his hover chair.

"You all know what's happening here," He called out, his synthetic eye shining just a little brighter, "This is where we find out who's starting and who's on the bench." He paused letting his words sink in with the rookies. "So give it your all, I want to see what you can bring to each game we play. You got that, hold nothing back."

"Aye, Aye Sir." The veterans, Boutros included, called out in unison.

"Good, now let's get to it."

With that they did. The defense starting out with timed runs testing out their speed. Molin lined up next to Boutros stern expression on her face. The whistle sounded and the two women took off tearing up the field. They were not as fast as the forwards, nowhere near as fast as Cutty but, it wasn't about the forwards. This was just about the two women lined up side-by-side, pumping their legs as hard as they could. Molin pulled a step ahead but, Boutros wasn't giving up that easily. She dug deep, finding the energy with in herself to give just a little more. She closed the gap seeing her younger opponent's eyes widen just a little as she finally over took her.

At the end Boutros won, by only a handful of milliseconds, less than the blink of an eye. Both women were bent over breathing heavy.

"Better luck next time." Boutros taunted between deep breaths .

"This isn't over yet." Molin replied eyes still determined.

"Bring it." The veteran snapped cocky grin on her face.

They stayed close, though out the training, it was the hardest either of them had pushed themselves in a while. By the end of the first day their bodies were sore and almost ready to give out, however their wills were still unbroken.

Who would start would be decided, in a week, plenty of time to see who was the best.

GM Approved
    Name: Boutros Sabah

Species: Zeltron

Homeworld: Carratos

Physical Appearance: 6'3" with an graceful yet powerful frame. Several tattoos adorn her body but are kept hidden by her clothes, she doesn't want to remember those times. Shortened black hair frame her surprisingly elegant face.

Relationship to Team: Player (Back)

Bio: Born into a poor family in O'Pahz Boutros and her older sister Raka didn't grow up much of anything. They had to fight for everything they got, this made them tough and strong. This lead to them be noticed by the local gang in their area, the Howlrunners. They started out as low-level enforcers but, worked their way up until they were lieutenants, mostly due to high turnover in the upper echelons. It had been a few years but, now they were perfectly placed to take over. Boutros had no interest in lead this collection of thugs and smugglers. Raka on the other hand, wanted the power, wanted the authority that came from being the leader of a gang.

She helped her sister to take command but, what she had to do, what had to be done to get there was too much. Her hands were already steeped in blood, literally and figuratively, she couldn't do it anymore. She left, not knowing what she would do next.

That's when she heard about the Pirates, a new Limmie team that was starting up. She always liked watching the sport and played it off and on with the other Runners. She tried out and while she was rough around the edges, Coach Copin saw potential in her hard hitting rough and tumble style.

It's been twelve years since that day and Boutros, through ups and downs has never looked back. She found a love, Tian a bubbly and viscous player whom she grew close to eight years ago. She'd won a Galactic Cup, even while her home was under occupation. Now she enters her tenth year of the ELL and the wear is starting to show, her head hurts, her arm aches.

But, something else lurks a sin of her past just waiting to rear its ugly head.

13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Mandoa’de Mercs sign Greta Hardy (Human, Female, Right Corner Back) as a free agent
    Bonus potential for everyone in Week 1! Except for NPC teams. They get nothing. Hooray!

289 Week 1
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Coruscant Senators (4-1)
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Ralltiir Starkillers (29-9)
    Bakura Miners at Carratos Pirates (4-18)
    Mando’ade Mercs at Stewjon Metropolitans (37-10)
    Euceron Officers at Chandrila Patriots (29-13)

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd 11 @Vehn

Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Arcadia Colosseum, O’Phaz, Carratos

There is no tougher place for the Miners to kick off their season than Arcadia Colosseum. The Pirates are a team that traditionally have the Miners’ number, even though we finally brought home the Jar of Dirt last season. To start the season on the road against such a tough team is enough to give even a veteran like Niskat Deenever pause.

Except I’m bouncing off the walls. Literally. I’m so excited that I’m actually popping from side to side on my feet against the painted permacrete walls of the Colosseum. This is it. I am going to be an Elite League Limmie player.

I thought of this moment from the third day I ever held a boloball. I thought about this when I joined Little League Limmie. I dreamed about this playing in high school. I yearned for it when I was at PCNS. And now it’s happening. It’s actually happening. I’m not just going to be an ELL player, I’m going to be in a rivalry game.

There’s a common misconception about Zeltrons: Humans think that we give off pheromones. It’s an old legend. Truth be told, I haven’t met many Zeltrons (my parents are pretty much the only ones I know), but none of them have excreted pheromones. If I did, I couldn’t have played even college limmie. Now, my neighbor Falleen does. That’s a fact. They don’t get to play pro ball. I think I heard of a Falleen coach who had to stay up in the booth so he didn’t influence anything on the field.

However, if I could give off pheromones, they’d be jacking up the entire roster. I am that pumped. Even though there are three other rookies on the team (LouEl, Garpet, and Marteen), I’m still the most excited of everyone on the team. Nothing can bring me back down to the ground, not even the fact that Polly Malu, the player who was going to be my mentor, walked in free agency because the Miners ran out of credits when they took Kyr Irvin on. Nope--I am Harle Quinn and I am going to rock this joint.

“Save something for the field, rook,” I hear behind me. I turn and it’s Marnie Blake. She’s smiling. I see in that smile that she was the same way before her game and I get even more excited. If a great goalkeeper like Blake was stoked for her first game, maybe that means I’ll be as good.

But I have to get my head on straight. The Pirates are a tough team. They’re not going to care that this my dream. They’re living their dreams too out there. And I’m going to ruin them. Yeah, that’s right Carratos. I’m going to spoil your home opener. That’s what I do.

Before I know it the team is rushing out of the tunnel onto the field. Everything hits me at once: the smell of the grass, the sound of the crowd, the glare of the lights, the salty taste in my mouth, feel of the air rushing through my purple hair. I am alive.

I stand at attention, my back as ramrod straight as the newest minted Marine on the parade ground, as I listen to the national anthem. Standing in that single line of my teammates in the middle of the field, it’s like I’m hearing it for the first time.

Edelweiss, edelweiss
    Every morning you greet me
    Small and white
    Clean and bright
    You look happy to meet me

Blossom of snow may you bloom and grow
    Bloom and grow forever
    Edelweiss, edelweiss
    Bless my homeland forever

Nine lines, perfect in their simplicity. Standing here, representing my homeworld on the limmie pitch, they suddenly have new meaning. This is how I get to bless my homeland. I get to be part of what inspires kids sitting at home on Bakura right now to dream.

“Let’s do this thing!” I shout as the crowd politely applauds the anthem.

It would have been great if I could have bolted to my position after saying that, but I forgot I have to wait until the Carratosian anthem is played. Maybe I should have saved that one for opening day at the Gardens. I hope Carratos doesn’t have a long national anthem.

I am not a bruiser. Anyone could guess that by looking at me. If I tried to run up the gut of an offense, I would get laid flat on my back. I tried it once, sophomore year of high school. It hurt to breathe for the next week. That was when I realized I had to find another way of being good at limmie.

A scouting report once described me as having “an acrobatic flair on the limmie field.” That’s as good a way of putting it as I can think of. Allow me to demonstrate.

I receive a pass from Burrnsbacca, the loveable carpet at midfield. I catch it as I fall backwards. This should make it an easy play for Kaesse, who’s guarding me. Not so fast, friend. I arch my back and flip over Kaesse’s reaching arms. I come down, boloball held over my head, which causes me to bounce forward, using the boloball as a spring, as I turn my body over so that I land this time on my feet. I spin 180 degrees as I run to face the goal, pop the boloball onto the field a foot in front of me, and then kick.

I raise my hands. It’s going in. And then I bring them down on top of my head in disbelief. The Pirates goalkeeper hauls it in with both hands in a dive. That shot was money in college.

“Hustle back rook!” Deenever shouts at me.

She’s right. I have to play defense now. I’ll get other chances. The game is young.

There were other chances. I failed at all of them.

Zero points for me. Zero. Four points total as an offense. No goals. As first games go, this was a disaster. Coach Draper was furious at halftime and though he didn’t say anything in the second half you could tell he was seething. He was almost as mad as when somebody didn’t get their maximum tax deduction. The Pirates a-freaking-gain. What is it with this team against the Miners? How does a team with the second-to-worst defense a year prior suddenly turn into a juggernaut that the power offense can’t even get a goal against?

My parents came today, all the way from Bakura. I paid their way, so it’s not like they dropped two tickets to the Inner Rim to see their daughter blow it in her first ELL game. That doesn’t help me feel any better though. They must be so disappointed in me right now.

“Quinn.”

Even though the word is hard in the stillness of the hall and I know the voice, I still start giggling even though I’m not jovial in the wake of the lost. In fact, I know I shouldn’t laugh, especially because this is the second time I’ve done this.

Quinn Cundertol is coming down the tunnel towards me. “Why so happy?” he asks harshly.

“I’m sorry,” I say, working hard to bring my inappropriate amusement under control. “It’s the name thing. It’s like you’re talking to yourself even though you’re talking to me.”

“At least you aren’t happy about your play,” he sneers.

I hang my head. It’s one thing to pile on myself. It’s another thing for the genius of Bakuran limmie to upbraid me--in public. My teammates are still filing into the locker room behind me. I bite my lip.

“I expected more from you,” Cundertol says darkly. “This team did not invest two years in your development on Cloud City just so you go out there and give me 80%?”

I want to say something, to apologize, to tell him he’s right, but I don’t know what to say. I say nothing. 80%. He’s being generous. More like 50%. Or 0%.

“Show me something better next week,” Cundertol says. Or maybe threatens. I don’t know. He walks away from me, probably to tell Coach Draper to bench me. I wouldn’t blame him if he did.

I put my head against the painted permacrete wall of the corridor and realize my head is hot from the effort of the game and the shame of failing. I slam my open palm against the wall several times.

I will not let this happen again. I will NOT.

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422 who reviewed the game action bits[/i]

SWNerd11, jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  15. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

IC: Tom & Von

Tomas Vigo took the field full of hope and ready to finally prove to everyone he belonged on the field at Financial Square Arena. On the first drive he protected Lawco while the veteran midfielder dribbled up field and made a pass to Arther Flylow. Flylow was tackled and the Monarchs headed towards Tomas. Tomas covered his woman, Mar’gaery with ease. She wasn’t open enough to get a look from her teammates. That didn’t stop the Monarchs from moving the ball up field and scoring on Cliff Tuff.

Tomas kept fighting. The team was down 12 – 2. He knew it wasn’t Coach Dash’s wish for him to make shots. Tomas had never cared what anyone else thought. As the seconds ticked down to the half he made sure to intercept a pass. He ran full speed past his offensive teammates. Tomas kicked the ball and scored his first ELL goal.

Von’kedo sat in the crowded owner’s box. She didn’t have a good view. Tomas' mother, who hadn’t been to a Starkillers game in years had taken the last seat up front. Von’kedo could have stayed in her apartment and enjoyed a front row seat, without being crowded. She just thought she had to be here. She didn’t want her new in-laws to think she didn’t like them.

The view on a holo from the back of the box wasn’t so bad. Besides it became obvious quickly that this wasn’t the debut Tomas had dreamed of. Not many of Tomas’ dreams came true, but Tomas was a fighter. He wasn’t going to let this slow him down. His goal at the end of the first half brought everyone in the box to their feet. Von’kedo saw that look of pure determination in his eyes.

Tomas sat angrily on the bench when the second half started. It wasn’t a punishment Coach Dash had said. He said he needed Tomas later in the game. He needed Tomas rested and ready to go. Meanwhile the Monarchs pulled further ahead. When Tomas was allowed back into the game he was furious.

His best decision making was long behind him. Tomas dove and grabbed Mar’gaery by the ankle causing her to trip and fall hard on her face. He didn’t bother to see if Mar’gaery got up or not. He went after the ball and dribbled up field fiercely. This time though when he shot the ball it was blocked by keeper Corve Antilles.

Tomas wore himself out trying to make plays. He managed a bar point towards the end, it didn’t give his team any chance of winning, but at least he hadn’t given up. When the Monarchs presented the Starkillers with the Golden Glove Trophy Tomas made sure to take a good look at it. He wanted it to make him angry. He wanted to use that anger towards making himself a better Limmie player. A Limmie player that won games. The loss stung.

Von’kedo paced in the hallway outside of the locker room. She watched Tomas’ postgame interview on her data pad. “It’s only one game,” he said bravely. “We’ll work on our strategy in practice this week and be ready for the Miners in 7 days. It was my first game in the ELL. It wasn’t everything I wanted it to be. I’ll do everything I can to make my next game better.”

There weren’t many beings waiting for players. Lucie and her children were waiting for Coach Ty Allin. Von’kedo knew it was important for Tomas to know she loved and supported him. She sensed that need in him. He’d been tossed around a lot since his father’s death. He never talked about it, she just observed it in his body language. He’d never admit that a hug felt good, but she didn’t need to hear those words. She just wanted to feel his touch, ease his tension.

Finally the players began to file out. Tomas wasn’t the first or the last. She walked slowly in his direction. He bravely gave her a smile. She smiled back warmly. “Great game,” she said as she put her arm around his shoulder. When she did he in turn put his arm around her waist.

“No it wasn’t,” he argued. “But at least it’s over.”

Von’kedo chuckled. “That’s one way to look at it,” she agreed.

Dinner was quiet. Tomas hated the apartment suddenly. Looking down on the field where had failed to prove his worth as he tried to eat. He ended up leaving his plate half full on the table. Later he sulked on the top of the covers in his bed. Sometimes Tomas wished he could quit. He longed to be somebody who didn’t care. He could move to a backwater planet. Get a job fixing droids, make a nice living, no worries.

Von’kedo found Tomas asleep on the top of the covers of their bed. She didn’t want to disturb him so she made a bed for herself on the sofa. She heard Tomas in the morning. Making his caf and packing his practice bag. She pretended to stay asleep until he left.

Today was an important day for Von’kedo. She had finally passed her tests and she was going to the Med Center for a tour. After breakfast she headed to Ralltiir University for a quick class on treating patients respectfully. The class dragged more than normal because Von’kedo was excited about the tour this afternoon. She’d been waiting her whole life to treat people, make them feel better, she was almost there.

90% of beings on Ralltiir were human. Von’kedo didn’t see any non-human doctors as she was led around the med center with a group of students that afternoon. All of her fellow students were human too. Von’kedo hadn’t really noticed until now. Tomas’ brother had adopted two nonhuman children so being around Tomas’ family, she sometimes forgot the unbalanced ratio.

The tour came to an abrupt end when a family was rushed into the Emergency Room. They had been in a speeder accident and apparently one of the children had life threatening injuries. Von’kedo and her fellow students stood patiently in the hallway. A child who wasn’t injured wandered into the hallway. She was crying. Von’kedo instinctively knelt down to comfort the child. “Are you hurt?” She asked first just to make sure.

The child shook her head.

“The doctors here are the best,” she assured the child. “Your family is in good hands.”

The child broke into tears and shook, but she allowed Von’kedo to hold her. Suddenly an adult human male barged into the hallway and grabbed the child. “Don’t touch her,” he ordered. “Can’t you tell she’s suffered enough?”

Tomas wanted more than anything to get back on the field and work on his game. Coaches Dash and Allin wanted to watch tape. Finally after lunch they did take the field but only for an hour. Rest was important today they emphasized. Practice would resume early in the morning. Tomas wasn’t even allowed on the field to work alone, Ty made him promise to go home and rest.

Tomas couldn’t rest. He was restless. Von’kedo wasn’t home to comfort him. Suddenly he remembered where she was today. At the med center. He ran out the door and down the hall. Before hopping in his speeder he bought Von’kedo a beautiful arrangement of flowers to congratulate her on her first day of residency. He sped to the med center avoiding the routes that were usually watched by law enforcement.

Tomas wandered the halls until he found Von’kedo. She was standing there with a frown on her face. Looking completely distraught. “Hey,” he said cheerfully hiding the flowers behind his back. “I came as soon as practice was over. I wanted to congratulate you,” he said presenting the flowers.

Tomas was shocked when Von’kedo started to cry. “Thank you,” she said. But she didn’t seem happy. Tomas had no idea why his wife was upset, he just held her while she sobbed.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“I’m fine,” she assured him. “It’s just been a lot to process today, let’s get out of here.”

“Okay,” Tomas shrugged. Before they could make their exit someone called to them.

“Are you who I think you are?” A patient said from his room.

Tomas poked his head in, “Depends who do you think I am?”

“You ARE Tomas Vigo!” The man said. “Great game yesterday!”

“Maybe you were watching a different game,” Tomas replied. “Starkillers lost.”

“Son I know you lost. Doesn’t mean you didn’t play well. I just hope I live long enough to see you live up to your potential.”

Suddenly Tomas felt some pressure. “How long do you have to live?” He asked.

The man laughed, and coughed and laughed some more. “Oh, I’m not dying. At least not yet,” he said reassuringly. “I got a nephew upstairs. He’s having a rough time right now. It would sure lift his spirits to meet you. Do you have just a minute to go meet him?”

Tomas had all the time in the world to cheer up a child. He looked at Von’kedo to make sure it was okay with her. She smiled warmly and nodded her head. Tomas and Von’kedo spent several hours upstairs meeting children. Some of them were hooked up to machines, some had no hair, others confined to bed. All of them smiled when they met Tomas. That afternoon Tomas realized Limmie wasn’t all about winning. It was about being a role model. Spreading his wealth to others. Whether it be spending an afternoon with children who needed cheer or something else. There and then Tomas decided he wasn’t just going to try and make these people happier by winning games for them. Tomas Vigo was going to start a foundation. He was going to help people. Give them food, clothing or just hope.

When Tomas got home that night he spoke to Von’kedo about it at length. “I love this idea,” she replied enthusiastically. “You should call it the Tomas Vigo foundation.”

“I was hoping we could call in the Tom and Von Foundation,” Tomas said optimistically.

“Yes! I mean you want me to be a part of this. Oh, Tomas I can’t wait to help.”

Tomas was reminded why he loved Von’kedo all over again. Together they started making a list of shelters, med centers and schools they could visit.

Tag: @SWNerd11 (who approved the game play mentions) @Trieste (since we play next week)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    jcgoble3, Trieste and SWNerd11 like this.
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a cloudy and cold, cold, cold...."

"Cold doesn't do it justice, shabla frigid out there."

"...Victory afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the defending Galactic Cup Champion Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Mercs off the schneid right out of the gate this season!"

"Yes they are, and what a great win to start yet another season with the Mercs defending their Galactic Cup Championship status."

"In a re match even of last season's final..."

"And this one was even more of a blowout as the Mercs finally beat the Mets in the regular season to the tune of a 37 to ten beat down, and man the mercs were in control all day long."

"Stargazer was good between the pipes, though really in all the Mercs defense played pretty well."

"Surprised Hardy didn't get much time there until the end?"

"No, she's a good defender, and the Mercs got her to play the back up role to Bruce, but she was signed right there near the end of camp and hasn't really worked with either the first or second team defense all that much. Give her a few weeks of practice and Kor'le will ease her into a more prominant role as the primary backup corner."

"Of course, the offense was again the story, and that means talking about Fu Arock..."

"Y'all about to get Arocked!"

"He played like a man possessed, nine points, three assists and right there along with him were Beckman Junior, Jaing and Dos who had six, five and five respectfully."

"Arock, Beckamn, Jaing and Dos...sounds like a lawfirm."

"Ambulance chasing lawfirm if the hurt they put on the Mets is anything to go by."

"Ha!"

"Of course newcomer to the Mercs, but not to the game Pic fit in perfectly there at midfield providing not only a veteran presence but ten assists..."

"To losing just one turnover."

"...three points of her own while also causing five turnovers."

"The game was played great by both forwards and back, but lets face it, it was won there at midfield with the play of Jolla Pic. She set the tempo for the team from the very beginning, and the Mercs as a team..."

"I think they were sick of the old mantra that they had never beaten the Mets in the regular season and wanted to show that last year's championship was no fluke."

"Well prove that they did."

TAG: no one, shabla NPC teams. Though beating them makes it not so bad. :p

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Runjedirun, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Christine Gamble

The hatred was real. Sure the Smugglers had their glitzy rivalries with other teams in the League, ones that boasted many more Cups in recent memory than the Rim War did. Sure the Senators hadn’t done anything impressive in years to challenge for a Cup. But the Senators cared. This was their season to finally get on the right side of the ledger and make the postseason.

By halftime of the tight defensive game, Christine found that she already had several bruises on her knees from making contact with the hard turf. Her teammates were in similar shape, scraped and bruised. Shaq’ille Oneal, the one-time Merc, had a cut on his elbow, the large Fondorian full back not immune to the punishing style of play the Smugglers came at them with. But Christine was sure that the Smugglers were also smarting in their locker room. After all, the physicality had been ramped up at the midfield position for the Senators over the offseason. Changeferabukk, the third-round rookie, had laid the lumber immediately after coming into the game.

The second half was just as tense. Christine kept hitting the turf, but got right back to her feet and kept the play going. Such was the life of a corner back like her, but she could tell that each hit was a little harder than it used to be, every time she had to pick herself off the turf a little more difficult than when she was a rookie. Age was coming for her whether she liked it or not, and she hoped her body would hold up through this season. She wanted a Cup, and playing a vital role on the defense was paramount to that goal.

The game ended in a 4-1 defeat, but Christine could see some fire in the younger defenders on the team. Jac Jeshua, with the eye black running down from his eyes almost to his mouth in “triangles” and plethora of arm tattoos, had held his own in relief of the assistant captain. Wahay Contar had the right mix of physicality and smarts to hold down the other starting corner spot. There was some talent there that could be drawn upon once Christine hung up her spikes. But that didn’t preclude her from desiring to put in one last good year.

“Sometimes you can’t win ‘em all, rook,” she said to Jeshua when the two walked off the field.

When she got back to the locker room, things changed. She could see that the forwards had been grumbling all game. Something in training camp hadn’t clicked with their new Chiss coordinator Lakali; many of the older forwards didn’t like learning a new system, especially when the old one had won them a Commissioner’s Trophy several seasons earlier. While the season was only one game old, Christine knew that fractures might start to occur if the offense didn’t get it going. After all, they had finished 288 with a whimper, so scoring only one point again today didn’t help.

Nothing seemed too desperate yet, but the seeds of potential destruction seemed to have been planted. And Christine would be tasked to keep it all together to make sure it didn’t blow up.

TAG: @Vehn

Trieste and Vehn like this.
  18. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Rough day over in the Bak10 as expected powerhouses Bakura Fleet and UBTV both go down in spectacular fashion. The Ensigns let an early lead slip away late while the Pioneers couldn't overcome their own early double digit halftime deficit."

"Really thought Fleet was going to hold on there..."

"I didn't, Prytis had the momentum."

"Of course they weren't the only high profile losers this weekend. Number six DTU lost a tight one..."

"I doubt they fall out of the top ten, that was a a good game and they only lost by one on the road."

"Meanwhile number 20 Vertical City got crushed by Ylesia in a game VCU was heavily favored in. Look for them to potentially drop out of the Top 25."

HSN Top 25 after Week Two

2. University of Csilla
    4. University of Zeltros
    5. Taanab A&M University
    6. University of Shili
    7. Druckenwell Technical University
    8. University of Kuat
    10. The Ord Sabaok University
    11. Norand University, Carratos
    12. University of Tatooine, Anchorhead
    13. Ryloth Ag and Tech University
    14. Prytis College of Natural Sciences
    15. College of Deredith &Millicent
    16. Citadel University of Anaxes
    17. Gargarrump University, Kashyyyk
    18. UB Telaan Valley
    19. University of the Northern Inductrial District
    20. Ralltiir University
    21. University of Bison
    22. University of Dantooine
    23. Bakura Fleet Academy
    24. Chiss Ascendancy University, Pesfavri
    25. Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa

Trieste likes this.
  19. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Shady Lerouex

Team Shuttle Back to Nar Shaddaa

The young bloods were pumped. They were stoked. They hadn't won on the road in Coruscant in the longest time. Shady let them have their fun, their celebrations, and remained quiet and to herself during much of the ride back to Nar Shaddaa.

Shady reflected on the game. The hard hits, the flagrant fouls, the toying with ejection after she'd nearly dislocated someone's shoulder who'd been jawing at her a bit too much. She knew just how to flirt with the line. Just how to be effective without costing the Smugglers the game.

She quietly winced as she nursed a few nagging injuries from training camp. The game was taking its toll on her and the season had just started. She'd revamped her conditioning program in the off season, hired a better personal trainer, done all the right things, and still she felt old. The long road of the season stretched out before her into the horizon. She'd never felt like this before. She'd never felt her limitations, until now.

She wondered if Christine Gamble had felt the same way during the game. She wondered if Gamble was beginning to feel her own sports mortality. Had she slowed as well? Shady couldn't tell. Christine had hid whatever physical demons plagued her quite well during her stint in front of the net.

Still, Shady thought, if Christine feels at all like I do, it's going to be a long season.

Erin Windreaver, her long time teammate and friend, slipped into the seat next to her. The pair had been together since the beginning. They'd gone to numerous playoff games together, Galactic Cups, draft halls, and bars. They'd had a quiet bet between them as to who was going to finish their career with more rings on their fingers. From where Shady was sitting it looked like it might be a tie as she headed into retirement.

"You looked pretty good out there," Erin pointed out.

"You're lying," Shady grunted.

"Is it that obvious?" Erin asked with a grin. "Seriously, I thought your off season program was supposed to help you out with all this stuff. The daily grind, that sort of thing."

"So did I," Shady said as she massaged her right leg. Her knee had been troubling her throughout training camp.

"You need to watch how you cut on the grass," Erin said, "you know our turf at home will hold you but other stadiums, not so much. One wrong move and it's over."

"I don't intend to be taken down by anything this year," Shady said, "I'm fine, Reaver. Leave it alone."

"Just looking out for you," Erin replied, "because somebody has to."

Shady barely concealed a smile and rolled over in her seat to catch some shut eye. The team had a long trip home and Stewjon was waiting for them.

Tag: @Jedi Gunny (for loose references to team)

Runjedirun, Jedi Gunny and Trieste like this.
  20. SWNerd11

SWNerd11 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    IC: Dawn Solo
    Financial Square Arena, Cambrielle, Ralltiir

Dawn enjoyed opening the season on the road, partially because road wins were a good indication of a winning season and the General Manager typically stayed behind. Unfortunately GM Nathans did not seem to get the memo about upper management not travelling with the team. When Dawn asked about it, Bryant said that he did not want to pass up the opportunity to celebrate a victory over one of their rivals.

Dawn had to hand it to him, at least he was familiar with the team’s rivals. But that still did not put him on her good side. To her he was just as much the enemy as the Starkillers across the pitch from them.

From an outside perspective, it could seem out of place that the Head Coach of a professional sports team would be at odds with the General Manager. But in truth it was no different than an employee and a boss not seeing eye to eye. Of course, since Dawn is more of a middle manager than a regular employee, she can get away with walking up to Nathans and asking him why in the frak he, along with his fitness model wife, would travel with the team, without the fear of being fired on the spot.

Bryant’s wife, Zea Brina and her twin Ola, are both natives of Byblos, not to mention that Ola’s fiance was the new Strength and Conditioning coach for the Red Wings. So it would have been safe to assume that Bryant and his family would want to be present on Byblos for the return of the Red Wings to professional limmie.

But no, he had to just show up and cause her to lose several hours of sleep travelling to Ralltiir.

Fortunately for her, Dawn was able to still maintain her focus to coach the team to their first victory of the season. Albeit she was severely grumpy during the Monarchs dominance over the Starkillers, and nearly got herself ejected. When Severine was grabbed by her ankles at one point by her Ralltiir counterpart, Dawn lit up the official that was closest to the Monarchs’ bench. She was screaming about wanting a penalty and almost went as far as to insult his mother.

Corrie recognized that Dawn was coming unglued and quickly moved her away from the official. The Monarchs were already up by ten points, so Dawn settled down and they walked away with the only Solo Conference win in week one.

Now their focus shifted back home and the Pirates.

TAG: @Runjedirun @galactic-vagabond422

Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  21. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Boutros Sabah
    Arcadia Colosseum, O'Pahz, Carratos

Boutros was sitting in the locker room, just waiting for the game to start. Already she could hear them, the fans. She could feel the rumbling of their feet above her, their voices lifted up in their favorite song. It was the home opener, no matter want your record last season, everyone started even, 0-0. No one was behind, no one was struggling, every team was on the same footing. There was something poetic about that but, poetry was not what got these fans excited. What got the fans excited was seeing their team play, play with all their hearts.

That was her poetry, that was her song, the cheers of the fans, and Drunken Spacer. It got her charged, got her ready for the game that was to come. This set the tempo for the rest of the season. A win here gave them a leg up, gave the team a huge morale boost. Boutros wanted a win, needed a win to start this season. It was time to take back the Jar of Dirt. It might have been a stupid trophy but, it was their stupid trophy. It was a misstep last year to lose to them, the defense had failed that day they would not today.

Tian took a seat next to her smiling interlacing the fingers of her left hand with Boutros's right. She could feel the tension in her lover's hand even if her face didn't show it. The pantoran was the right forward, though Cutty and Serica had risen up last year, Tian still held her own. She was still a force to be reckoned with when she came charging in. Tian wasn't as much of a glory hound as Cutty, a little more humble, but, that didn't stop her from diving in with all she had. When backed up by Leigh, she was near unstoppable.

They took the field ready to fight, ready to put a stop to the Miner's 'power' offense. Lining up with her were the rookies, Big J and Mighty Mo. Molin for her part was still fuming over what happened at training camp, angry that she came in second to the veteran. Maybe that anger would drive her forward to smash the Miners into the dirt. Boutros knew she wouldn't hold anything back, and she wouldn't expect anything less from the jumped up rookie. Big J seemed a little more sedate than his line mate, more analytical, though just a strong.

The battle was rough, from first half to the second half, the line held strong despite the Miners' best efforts. It seemed today the Pirates were on fire, not letting anything through. Not a single goal was scored. It was close, closer than the scoreboard said. If Qazi was just a step slower, and he was getting up there in years and consecutive games, it would have been a different game entirely. Thankfully the 'Iron Netminder' was on top of his game, making up for the very few perfect plays that were able to get past the stonewall like back line.

At the end of it, the defense did what they set out to do. They shutdown the Miners. Even saying it felt like a dream. Now it was time to take possession of the trophy they fought for, a simple jar of dirt that meant so much.

Leigh took it up, as team captain it was her right.

"I've got a jar of dirt." She called out raising the object above her head. "I've got a jar of dirt."

"Guess what's inside it!" The team replied smiles on their faces.

One team had been toppled many more remained.

This was just the start, of 289 season…no the 289 campaign.

The next morning, after the game, after the party, Boutros woke up early as usual, well before Tian. Both had several drinks at the 'Stacked Deck' but, Tian seemed to have the worse hangover. The Zeltron took a few NSAIDs to deal with the slight headache between her eyes and headed out into the front room.

Several jackets laid strewn about the room, she had indented to put them away eventually but, just never got around to it. She took down a pan and opened the fridge taking out a few eggs. Boutros always cooked. It was something she enjoyed, it also helped that she'd gotten good at it, after years of solo practice. To provide a little white noise she turned on the holo, quietly so as not to wake Tian.

The projector came to life with the image of a Balosar, a ticker running underneath.

"A bomb exploded in Southern Vi'tal this morning killing four Carratos Defense Force soldiers that were on patrol. The White Star have claimed responsibility for the attack, and say that is only the beginning of their campaign in Vi'tal." A long breath left Boutros, it had been six years and the White Star still haven't given up the fight. The bombing in 286, the battle of 287, Boutros had been on the scene of both of them. Tian was even injured in 287, having to be rescued by Raka.

That day was still burned into her memory, she'd been in lightfights before, when she was with the Howlrunners but, that was something different. That was a warzone. She shook her head returning her attention to the frying pan.

"In other news," the Twi'lek co-anchor picked up, "The dredging operation of East O"Pahz Bay have brought up humanoid remains." No big surprise there, the bay was a popular dumping ground, particularly for the gangs of the city. "While the coroner's office has not officially released the identity yet, several news sources have reported that it could be Pol Sila, entrepreneur and one time planetary shockboxing champion ." Boutros froze, Pol Sila was a name she hadn't heard in a long time. He wasn't what they claimed, he wasn't an entrepreneur, that was just a cover, he was a gang boss…her gang boss. A tyrant of a man that kept everyone under his iron fist.

And she was the one that put him in the bay.

TAG: @Trieste

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Runjedirun, jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa, Ralltiir, and Rydonni Prime in Week 2.

289 Week 2 Results
    Bakura Miners at Ralltiir Starkillers (19-36)
    Carratos Pirates at Rydonni Prime Monarchs (15-34)
    Stewjon Metropolitans at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (2-38)
    Euceron Officers at Mando’ade Mercs (12-29)
    Chandrila Patriots at Coruscant Senators (23-30)

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Jedi Gunny and Vehn like this.
  23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• ELL announces that playoff format in 289 will remain the same with top three teams in each conference making the playoffs, top teams in each conference will receive a bye, and winners of each conference playoffs facing off in the Galactic Cup Final
    • ELL also announces the Comeback Player of the Year Award has been renamed the Marte Nalo Award
    • Nalo family agreed to the change and asked that the award specifically honor Marte and his life
    • Commissioner Lokensgaard: “The League is honored to have the privilege of recognizing one of the great beings of the recent history of the sport. In collaboration with Marte’s family, we made this happen. I look forward to handing the first Nalo Award out at the end of this season”
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn

jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Financial Square Arena, Cambrielle, Ralltiir

(This is a minor in-joke between me and @Runjedirun ;) )​

The trip from Carratos to Ralltiir is short, but that doesn’t matter to me. I spend the entire flight on my datapad reviewing the playbook. When we arrive at our hotel, I go straight to my room and review game footage from our disaster against the Pirates. I know there’s something for me to learn in here, a key to winning this week, to realizing my full potential, to justifying the Miners’ faith in me.

“Come on. Dinner time,” Jo Pawvelski, my roommate says. They paired me with a veteran forward, undoubtedly so I could learn something from her. I’m sure I will over the course of the season, but I have more important things to do right now.

“I’m staying in,” I reply. “Got film to watch. I’ll get room service.”

“That’s all you’ve done all day,” Pawvelski points out.

“Not true. I did a two hour workout in the hotel gym,” I say, not even looking away from my datapad. It was a pretty good workout too. I’m going to have to be more nimble against the Starkillers than I was against the Pirates.

That’s when Pawvelski takes the datapad out of my hands, grabs me with her claws by the shoulder, and pulls me off the bed. “Team dinner is not optional.”

“I should be studying,” I protest. “I need to get better.”

“Yeah you do, but what are you even looking at?” Jo squints at the datapad. “What are you doing looking at the 285 game against Ralltiir?”

“Miners smoked them with 39 points that year. Seems like a good gameplan for me to emulate.”

“You’d do better to be watching the Starkillers’ loss against the Monarchs last week.” I file that away for future reference as she tosses my datapad onto the bed. I’ll watch that game after dinner, see if Rydonni Prime can show me the key to stomping Ralltiir. “Now get your shoes on. There’s some good food on Ralltiir.”

I begrudgingly obey. Hopefully this won’t be one of those dinners that goes on for three hours. I have footage to watch.

This week I’m not bouncing off the walls as the game approaches. I’m focused, determined. I’ve watched tons of video. I’ve spent just about as much time on the practice field. I am ready for this game. I’m not going to make the same mistakes as last week. I’m going to win today. The team is counting on me. Bakura is counting on me. Cundertol is counting on me.

I barely register the pregame ceremonies, and not because it’s pretty crisp and cold in Cambrielle this morning. I just want to get underway and prove that last week was an anomaly--that I’m as good as advertised. I can tell the team wants it just as much as I do. We’ve all got this quiet intensity. Ralltiir is a team that’s troubled a lot of the veterans. In this decade, the Miners have only beaten the Starkillers twice, and that includes losing twice to them in the playoffs early in the decade. Last year’s overtime loss was particularly crushing. We all want to end the decade the right way.

When the game gets underway, my whole body is singing to me. My muscles are taut. My mind is locked on the game. The roar of the crowd falls away in my ears. There is only the pitch, the 29 other players on the field, the boloball, and me. I almost immediately shake my defender, Selex, and find myself in open field. I lock eyes with Kyr Irvin and don’t even have to put my hand up to signal for the pass. Irvin finds me with a perfect lob that I take on the run. Comstock, the erstwhile Miner, comes up to challenge me. She was a good goalkeeper, but I saw the tape from last year and I know she’s not as good a corner back. I barely think before I decide what to do.

As Comstock dives forward to make the tackle, I flip over her. And, unlike other players who might try that move, I stick the landing and take off into a run in open field. It’s just me and Cliff Tuff and I know I’ve got him. I deke left to the short side and Tuff bites. I cut right and I’ve got so much daylight it’s embarrassing. Before Noah Till can make it to me, I hurl the boloball like a discus into a wide open net.
    I scream with joy. My first ELL goal. I launch into a somersault to mark the milestone. The first of many, I know. My teammates on offense gather around to slap me on the back and high five me, but even in my jubilation I know that this is only the beginning of the game. We have a long way to go.

I am on fire. I’ve got another point to go with my goal. I remember games like this from university. This is when I’d start rolling. This is the kind of game that got me drafted. The Starkillers are playing tough, scoring a bunch, but I can sense we’re going to really open up on them soon.

We’re working one of Draper’s schemes where we pass the boloball around the offensive zone, maintaining possession. It’s designed to wait out the defense, cause them to scramble and eventually make a fatal mistake that opens up the perfect opening for a goal. We’ve got the Starkillers on the move, reacting to our passing. A goal is coming. I can feel it.

Rey Zakko slings the ball back to me in an almost no-look pass (I saw him give a glance in my direction before giving a head fake to fool the defender). It’s a little high, but that’s no problem. I’ve got a good vertical leap. It helps to be so agile in moments like--

BAM!

The impact catches me right in the small of my back and I’m thrown forward and my breath escapes my lungs in a cry of surprise and pain. The ball goes sailing well over my head as I am driven into the turf, face first. Straight down onto my back comes what I am pretty sure is about 90 or 100 kg of mass. You ever have a professional athlete fall on top of you? It’s not fun.

And it doesn’t end there. Whoever is on top of me stays there, pinning me down. I think they’re even shoving my head down into the grass.

“Mfmmm ffff eee!” I say. In case you don’t speak the ancient Zeltronian tongue off Grass-In-One’s-Mouth, I was attempting to say “Get off me!” Apparently this big galoot doesn’t speak that language.

Whoever it is (and let’s be honest, it’s probably Selex) stays on top of me waaaaay longer than they have to. I try to reach behind me, flailing my arms, to get this idiot off me, but it’s futile. After what seems like an eternity, I can finally get up on my feet again. I turn to look at the jerk and it’s none other than Mr. Hot Stuff himself, Tomas Vigo, the “true rookie” as everyone keeps calling him since he’s come in straight from college, unlike me who’s been playing pro ball for two years.

“Awww, can’t keep up so you resort to penalties?” I taunt him.

Tomas smiles and turns to head down the field. Thanks to his blatantly illegal hit (I’m not entirely sure what penalty it would be, but it was a clearly a hit from behind in advance of the ball, plus the continued pinning on the field after the end of the play) I missed the play and the ball turned over and the Starkillers regained possession and are driving down to towards our goal.

Wait a cotton-picking minute. Why is the play still going on?

I turn in disbelief to find the referee. “Ref!” I shout. “Where’s the penalty?” The official doesn’t say anything to me, just trots up the field to follow the play. “I got practically mugged out there!” I keep protesting following him. “Come on! Make the kriffing call!”

As I head down the field, I can see that Coach Draper is just as livid and is giving it to the official on his side of the field a piece of his mind (and probably hoping that the ref chokes on it). I’m with him.

“Quinn!” It’s my roommate Pawvelski shouting at me. “Get your head back in the game!” She’s right. I need to make Vigo pay for his shenanigans in the way that will really hurt him: the scoreboard.

However, I seriously reconsider that philosophy when I see Vigo discreetly turn and give Draper the bird when the ref isn’t looking. It’s with great difficulty I focus on putting points up and not my fist into his face for such disrespect.

We still fall short. I know I played better today than last week, but it still wasn’t enough. In fact, those four points are the only ones that I scored. I’m professional enough to not point fingers, but we couldn’t have been worse on defense if we’d tried. Admittedly, defense has rarely been the Miners’ strength. When we win, we do it through offense. I know I should have put more points on the board today. This loss is on me as much as anyone else.

I know I should be looking at game footage on the shuttle back to Bakura--it’s a long enough ride--but I can’t bring myself to do it. I’ll move on soon enough to start focusing on the Monarchs, but I’m not ready yet. 0-2 to start my ELL career. This is not the stuff dreams are made of.

However, I was a Psychology major in college. I know that just stewing in this isn’t helpful. Maybe a light postgame workout will help. I push my body out of my seat and head back to the small training room on the shuttle. Because I’m still thinking about what went wrong in the game, I don’t realize that someone is coming at me in the hallway until I bump into him.

“Quinn.”

The corners of my mouth tug upwards against my will, but I restrain myself from laughing (for a change). I prepared myself for this, my next encounter with the Smug Dragon. Even so, the temptation is almost too strong. I keep my composure though. I worked so hard this week. Even though we lost, I would be kidding myself if I didn’t hope that I might get a sliver of praise from the Mighty Quinn for my improvement this week.

“Sir,” I reply as neutrally as possible to keep my composure.

“You have to be tougher out there,” he says. My stomach drops in disappointment. “Vigo pushed you around out there. It threw you off for the rest of the game. You let a little pushing and shoving get under your skin. Stopped your scoring cold. No one was ever great without being as tough as durasteel out there.” He steps around me to get on his way. At least he admitted I scored, but that was mid-critique.

“I’ll work on that, Mr. Cundertol,” I say.

I hear Cundertol’s footfalls pause and I can sense him turn to look over his shoulder at me. “Excuse me?” he says.

“I’ll make it a priority to get tougher and stand taller out there,” I repeat, turning around.

“No. What did you call me?” Cundertol asked.

“Mr. Cundertol,” I state. “I thought if I focused on your surname that would solve my problem with the similarity in our names.” I’m working hard to not crack up inappropriately, because this is drawing me really close to thinking about--no, don’t go there.

Cundertol looks at me for a moment and I can’t decipher what he’s thinking. “Whatever,” he mumbles and he resumes his journey in the opposite direction on the ship.

That settles it. I’m going to be in the gym all the way to Ralltiir. Cundertol is right. I’ve got to be tougher out there. Next week Rydonni Prime is coming to town for our home opener. It’s time I show the galaxy what I’m really made of.

TAG: @Runjedirun (who collaborated with me on game action and thoroughly vetted those sections of this post) @SWNerd11

Vehn, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post:

OOC: I don't even know how/why I remembered this tonight. But since I did we get Monday Night LFL scores that were supposed to be done yesterday....Sorry!

Bonus Roles for everyone except Rattatak

Week 1 LFL Results

Concordia Crusaders @ Thyferra Force (27-21)
    Rattatak Sea Devils @ Tatooine Sandskimmers (17-24)
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Atzerri Bandits (16-3)

Tags: @Jedi Gunny @Bardan_Jusik @Vehn @galactic-vagabond422

Trieste likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.