main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Atzerri (28), Tatooine (28), Druckenwell (28), Thyferra (28), and Concordia (28)

LFL Week Eight Results
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Thyferra Force (23-18)
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Concordia Crusaders (20-22)
    Atzerri Bandits @ Rattatak Sea Devils (0-15)

Final Standings
    1 Druckenwell Marksmen (6-2)
    2 Tatooine Sandskimmers
    (5-3)
    3 Concordia Crusaders (5-3)
    4 Thyferra Force (4-4)
    5 Rattatak Sea Devils (2-6)
    6 Atzerri Bandits
    (2-6)

LFL Play – Offs
    (6) Atzerri Bandits @ (3) Concordia Crusaders
    (5) Rattatak Sea Devils @ (4) Thyferra Force

LFL Semifinals
    (?) @ (2) Tatooine Sandskimmers
    (?) @ (1) Druckenwell Marksmen

Tags: @Vehn @Jedi Gunny @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422

Trieste and Vehn like this.
  2. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Tomas Vigo

It was halftime. Tomas sat in the locker room in fashionable jeans and an Equality shirt with fur, feathers, scales and fins displayed proudly. “Uniform up!” Coah Ty Allin said walking by him.

Tomas didn’t answer, didn’t get up to change. He just made a face. It wasn’t a conscious face, more of an involuntary reaction. “Seriously, have you ever known me to lose a game on purpose?”

“Well, no,” Tomas reached for his jersey. Moments later he was warming up. The score was close, closer than close. It was 11-10, the Pirates leading by one. No one in the Galaxy was watching this game. Everyone was tuned in to games that mattered. Well no one except the rowdy Pirates fans. There was still a chance for them to make the play-offs. They needed a win and help.

As they broke the huddle to take the field Ty reminded him, “You don’t want to hear them sing that shanty as we walk out of here tonight.”

It was all the motivation Tomas needed. He played offense, aggressively, just like Coach Till had told him to. There was no hesitation. He rarely passed the ball. Tomas scored 4 goals and 3 bar points. His defense, the Starkillers entire defense may have been sloppy, but the offensive barrage was enough. The Starkillers walked off the field with a win. With pride and momentum to take with them into the 290 season.

IC: Von’kedo

Her final exam passed. Von’kedo flew up the stairs to her apartment ready to pack for home. “A+,” she said proudly displaying the screen as she walked through the front door. She nearly stepped on a pile of screws.

Tomas sat behind the shell of a new droid carefully slipping a chip into a newly built plastic slot. Once it was in place he looked up, “That’s wonderful. Never doubted you,” he stood up and walked around piles of nuts, bolts, computer chips and gave her a kiss on the cheeks. “Congratulations.”

“I thought you were going to clean all this up,” Von’kedo said looking around the apartment.

“Lost track of time,” Tomas answered. “Don’t worry the ship is prepped and ready to go for tomorrow. I’ll clean this up after dinner,” he promised.

Von’kedo wasn’t worried. She was happy, Tomas was happy. He’d been building, whatever it was he was building, since he had returned from Carratos and he seemed content for the first time in weeks. “You want me to start dinner?” She asked as she navigated her way around the piles of future droid parts.

“No, don’t.” Tomas said quickly. “Let’s go out, celebrate your first semester of med school complete.”

Von’kedo loved the idea. She didn’t even think twice about the dress she pulled out of her closet for the occasion. It was one Tomas had bought for her on Coruscant. The droid pieces did not get put away that night. After dinner Von’kedo and Tomas continued their celebrations in the bedroom.

To her relief Von’kedo only threw up a little bit on the flight to Tatooine. Her family was there to greet her in the spaceport. She threw her arms around her mother. “Welcome home,” her mother said. Von’kedo took in the familiar scent. She hugged her father next, then her younger brothers and finally her sister.

“I missed you so much,” Von’kedo said not wanting to let go.

“Are you a doctor yet?” Noh’timi asked.

“One semester closer,” Von’kedo answered.

That evening after dinner Tomas excused himself and borrowed a speeder to visit his brother. Von’kedo and Noh’timi sat up late talking.

“It must be so wonderful to be married,” Noh’timi sighed.

“Well sometimes,” Von’kedo cautioned. “Promise me something.”

“What?” Noh’timi asked.

“Promise me you’ll save yourself.”

“Wait, you mean you didn’t wait? You and who else?”

“No one,” Von’kedo said shocked her sister thought there was someone else. “It’s just I wanted to wait. I had promised myself I’d wait. Then I don’t know somehow Tomas and I ended up, you know, before the wedding. He was expecting it, I didn’t want to let him down, but somehow I let myself down. So now, it’s just not as special. I mean it’s getting better, but I ruined it.”

“You aren’t making any sense,” Noh’timi said.

“Marriage is complicated,” Von’kedo said. Then she saw Tomas standing in the doorway. How much had he heard?

Tomas spent the evening with Prince. Spencer had been busy writing up plays for a game that was still nearly two weeks away. Tomas understood it was important. The Sandskimmers had never won a championship in the LFL and Spencer really wanted to change that. He wanted the city to help support a new stadium. A win could make that possible.

Prince was Bartholomew’s son. Prince rarely left his Uncle Spencer’s side. The boy had Autism. He spoke in broken sentences, when he spoke at all. Spencer was very protective of the child. He showed great promise in athletics and even knew how to build simple droids. He was very Vigo, but very different. No one knew what he was thinking or when he may throw a tantrum. He’d been kicked out of two schools.

Spending time with Prince was stressful for Tomas. He wondered if his nephew would amount to anything. Or live with Spencer forever. Tomas knew Bartholomew would have been disappointed that his only son was different. He played Limmie with Prince, who was really good at the sport. “That way, that way,” Prince kept ordering. Did he know left and right? Tomas wondered. When Tomas didn’t go the correct direction Prince sometimes got frustrated. Usually Tomas could sprint to the other direction fast enough to retrieve the ball and Prince would not get upset.

So when Tomas got back to Von’kedo’s parents residence and walked in on Von’kedo to hear her say “Marriage is complicated,” he took it even worse than he normally would have.

He saw her turn and look at him. Both sisters looking at him. “I’m going out,” he said steadily.

Tomas didn’t take the speeder. He walked into town found the first bar and sat on the first empty stool. Tomas wasn’t much of a drinker, but he nursed an ale. Before long a woman sat down next to him. “Are you Tomas Vigo? I heard you might be in town,” she said twirling her dark brown hair.

“That’s me,” Tomas said not paying attention.

She reached over and touched his bicep. “I’ve never seen muscles like that in real life,” the woman said.

Tomas felt uncomfortable and pulled away. She was young, probably his age, somewhat pretty. Her color matched his and he imagined that he might be attracted to her under other circumstances. “What are you doing out alone?” The woman asked. “Aren’t you married? Wait you aren’t having trouble at home? You poor thing,” she went on. “I was married. Big mistake. My ex and I fought like dogs.”

“We didn’t have a fight,” Tomas stated defensively. “I’ve just had a long day.”

“Sorry to hear, you want to talk about it?”

“Not really,” Tomas replies as he takes a long swig of his drink. “I should probably head back.”

“Let me walk you,” the woman offers. She slips down off her bar stool and puts her arm in Tomas’.

Tomas doesn’t realize that she’s leading him. Tomas is troubled, tired and a little intoxicated. She talks about herself, Tomas looks at his feet as he stumbles by her side. Suddenly they aren’t outside anymore. They are in a hotel lobby, she’s getting a room.

“I can’t,” Tomas says.

“You need this,” she says sweetly. “Your wife will never know.”

Her kiss is sweet. Her touch is soft. He runs his fingers through her hair. Real human hair. Not head tails. Tomas is suddenly very close to this woman. They are in front of a room and she’s putting the key into the door.

Tomas sees the door open. He panics. Tomas pushes her into the wall, or the room, he’s not sure. He just pushes her away and runs down the hall. He can’t and won’t cheat on his wife.

Von’kedo

Tomas smells like alcohol and strange perfume when he returns to her parent’s house. He slides into the sofa bed next to her and she moves closer to the opposite edge. Tomas doesn’t try to make a move or explain. He just goes to sleep. Early the next morning there is a knock at the door.

Law enforcement answers. They ask for Tomas. They take him away in cuffs. Von’kedo is shocked, scared and even surrounded by family very alone.

Hours later her brother in law calls. Richard Vigo says he’ll be on the next flight. He says that Tomas wants her to know none of this is true. He begs her to take Tomas’ call. He’s called several times. Von’kedo doesn’t want to talk. She thought she knew Tomas and now he’d been accused of rape.

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny but cool Vicotry afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the defending Glactic Cup Champion Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"It's playoff time!"

"It is, it is, and more even importantly our Mando'ade Mercs are back in the post season to defend their Galactic Cup championship from a year ago."

"Great match ups coming up here in the first round of the playoffs."

"Yes there are, yes there are. But first, Mercs do well closing out the season finale with a commanding 29-2 win over the Pats in what was a tune up game for them, because they knew their playoff ticket had already been punched."

"They did, but as always Coach Kor'le wasn't going to just let them sit on their laurels, she played that game to win and in the end, they did."

"Let's not forget though, they still had something to play for, a potential second straight Commissioner's Trophy and first place in the conference was still in play up until yesterday."

"That's right, that's right, and that would have given the Mercs a first round bye, so yeah, they had a lot riding on this game, and it showed in their performance."

"The offense was great, the defense even better, but how about the play at midfield of Jolla Pic?"

"Yeah, we've been riding on her the last few weeks, but she showed that when it counts, she plays really hard, and I think this was just her shaking off the rust and getting ready for what is hopefully a deep playoff run."

"So, we told you the Mercs won, but in the end it didn't improve their playoff seeding as the Officers also won this, clinching the conference regular season title as well as the Commissioner's Trophy, they're the league's number one overall seed."

"And well deserved, Mercs beat them all the way back in week 2 of the season, but since then they've been on fire and they end up with seven wins to just two losses."

"They will be a tough, tough out in the playoffs, but first the Mercs have to make it that far..."

"And that means beating the resurgent Smugglers in a rematch of The game of Rivals played just last week."

"Yeah, looks like Shady gets that one last visit to Meshla Vhetin after all and I don;t think she can expect quite as warm a reception as last time."

"Mercs fans sent her on her way honoring her play and her sacrifce to be among the best...but this is the playoffs, and I don't seem them doing that here."

"You know it's hard to believe but this is only the third time these two rivals have actually met in the playoffs."

"Oh wow."

"First time was back in 277 where the Mercs won before losing out to the Miners..."

"The Vizsla Bowl."

"Right."

"The second was again in the conference finals, this time in 286, which the Mercs also won before going to to beat the Monarchs in what was to be their third straight Galactic Cup."

"Oh I remember that."

"Any concerns that these two teams just recently played and the Mercs got beat so handily?"

"Sure, a few, but let's face it in season performance is no indicator of post season success."

"Right."

"Yeah. Just look at the previous two playoff meetings between these two teams, bring those up for us K-Man."

"OK."

"In 277 Mercs lost to the Smugglers during the season..."

"And won in the playoffs."

"...while in 286 the Mercs won both regular and post season matches pretty handily."

"And again, won in the playoffs."

"So yeah, even though this was pretty recent in the grand scheme of things, I don't think the Mercs or Smugglers players are really giving that game too much weight."

"So who do you think wins this one?"

"Oh we doing this now?"

"Oh sure, why not?"

"I think.. Man I hate to say it but I think the Smugglers might be too much for the Mercs this year. I say look for a slugfest...plenty of bruises and maybe some broken bones, but in the end I think that team from Nal Hutta's Moon pulls it out."

"Oh no way. No way. I know the Smugglers are hungry, but playoff time is Mercs time."

"Sure, sure."

"Did you know they haven't lost a playoff game since the 283 conference title game to the Pirates?"

"I did not know that."

"That's nine straight playoff wins this decade, and against that team from Nal Hutta's moon, they make it an even ten."

"Wow. What about the Solo?"

"Miners over the Mets in a big way, just a better team all the way 'round and they finished the season strong after a slow start. You?"

"I picked against Stewjon last year in the playoffs..."

"So did everyone."

"...but they aren't fooling me this year. They have a better defense than the Miners, and so I'm going with the Mets here."

"We're disagreeing on everything here."

"Seems like it."

"OK, so who take the Skywalker crown? You have the Smugglers playing the Officers, I have the Mercs..."

"And I don't think it matters once we get that far. i think the Officers have proven themselves to be the better team over the course of the season and they will go on to represent the Skywalker in the title game."

"Can't argue that...I mean I could try by saying the Mercs beat them way back in week two, but that was one of the Officers only two losses this year. They're just too good. i agree, they will be the team to break the Mercs playoff winning streak."

"They are scary good, reminds me of the Mercs last season."

"Both Commissioner's Trophy winners."

"Yup."

"OK, so what about the Solo? Who will the Officers be facing?"

"I went with the Mets in the first round, and I am sticking with that for the sdecond. I say the Mest go on to their second straight Galactic Cup title game..."

"You're nuts. Monarchs are a good team, and even though i have them playing the Miners, I think Rydonni Prime wins it to set up a match of the two number one seeds."

"You just like picking chalk."

"Maybe, and to be honest, I'm going chalk again for the finals and picking the Officers to win it all, but I'm sure you're still on the Mess* bandwagon..."

"Not at all, I think you're right here. I think the Mets do get to that finals game, and just like last year they suffer the heartache of a finals loss. I've got the Officers bringing home the Galactic Cup Championship to Euceron."

"Keeping it in the Skywalker."

"Where it belongs."

TAG: no one, shabla NPC teams. Good luck in the playoffs everyone (except the shabla NPC Mets). @Vehn, let's do it again.

hey...that rhymes. :p

OOC: *Mess, not a typo. :p

4. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Tomas Vigo has been charged with rape, he is currently out on bail staying with family on Tatooine. He is being held on planet pending trial.
    • Statement from Starkillers owner Richard Vigo "I acknowledge these charges are serious. This is not a matter to be taken lightly. Please remember Tomas, like all beings, should be considered innocent until convicted otherwise. I believe my brother is innocent. There is evidence in his favor. If this case goes to trial I am prepared to take on his defense "
    TAG: @Runjedirun

jcgoble3, Vehn and Runjedirun like this.
  5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Limmie Lunacy takes hold on Bakura with PCNS/UBTV matchup in the Incom Bowl
      • Teams finished #1 and #2 in the conference this season
      • UB Telaan Valley prevailed in the teams’ regular season meeting
    • Fans are calling it “the first Bak10 championship game” as the Bak10 does not currently hold a conference championship due to its 9 game round robin format
    • Winner will be the first Bak10 team to make the Final Four since the adoption of the playoff bracket format
      • Bak10 Commissioner Kerry Trieste was a strong advocate of new playoff system
    • BBC Sports analysts say the performance of Avie Trieste, adopted daughter of Falene Trieste, will determine whether PCNS takes the victory or not
      • “She is a tough, determined player. PCNS will need her to turn in another stellar game to have a shot at moving on”
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik

jcgoble3 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Coruscant Senators part ways with General Manager Briar Adama.
    • Adama had been GM for franchise since 280 season, when she took over from retiring GM Gark S'rily. She was responsible for bringing in most of the players on the current squad, plus ran the Draft operations for the team.
    • Senators owner Kala Fani Alaree: "Missing the postseason three consecutive seasons is unacceptable. I will find a new GM who will hopefully bring this franchise back to where it belongs, back to the playoffs."
    • Assistant GM Mirik Lopaki has been named Interim GM during search, but is not expected to be given the job.
    • Head Coach Cuth Hulu is rumored to be on his way out given poor performances of past two seasons.\
    TAG: @Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Harle Quinn
    Salis D’aar, Bakura

I slip out of my apartment in the morning. Before I leave, I stick an envelope on Pammy’s door. Inside is a ticket to the game (we always get a ticket allotment and I’ve never gotten tickets for anyone but my parents until today), a field pass for the firework show after, and a note.

Stop by work today and maybe we can make out during my lunch break.

I know, I’m hilarious.

:bb8::bb8::bb8:

(For best results, begin at 0:45)

I jauntily stride down the halls, saying hello to the game day staff. I’m wearing this awesome nerfhide brown bomber jacket with a nice white fleece lining. Now, it’s not that cold, but it is Bakura. It’s not exactly Tatooine, ya know?

“Looking good Brad!” I say, pointing at one of the security guards. (His name isn’t Brad, but that’s what I call him. It’s a big in joke between us.)

“Keep it up Sam!” (Her name is Sam, but that’s a joke too.) “You’re going to out-nacho Ralltiir at that rate!”

“‘Ey! Joey! You get that thing I sent you?” (That’ll keep him guessing.)

But underneath my cool, collected exterior is the truth that this is the biggest game of my season.

No, not because it’s Truce Day.

No, not because the playoffs are on the line.

No, not because if I win I get to consume an entire bottle of whiskey. (Everybody else has drank a ton from the Old Whiskey Trophy, so I’m pretty sure I get all of it since this is my first time.)

All of these things are irrelevant. Today is potentially the last stop on the Shady Lereoux Farewell Tour.

First off, nobody but Alana Glencross deserves a farewell tour. (Not even me. I will never have one, because I will keep playing limmie until I am 237 years old and die on the field with 152 Galactic Cup rings. A Ryn mystic told me this last Taungsday when I paid her 20 credits for my fortune so it has to be true.) Secondly, Shady Lereoux has been the dirtiest player in the ELL for years. It’s time she realized that mantle no longer belongs to hers. She needs to understand that if anybody’s going to get ejected for flogging the goalkeeper with a rubber Endorian chicken, it’s going to be me and nobody but me. Third, I don’t have a third point, but all the best jokes use the rule of three (I think Darth Revan really missed out by only limiting himself to two).

I’ve been watching Truce Day games on the Holonet my entire life, but I’ve never been at one before. The BBC shows a few different crowd shots and you see the fans waving our planetary flag, the blue field with a circle of 32 gold stars, one for each county. But it’s nothing like being here.

As I cross the concourse, and head toward the field in our blue jerseys, me with my white face and black eyes, I hear for the first time the clip on the big vid screen of Gaeriel Captison after what the galaxy calls the Bakura Incident.

“In our bleakest hour, so lately passed, we cried out in the darkness.”

“Quinn to the front,” I hear from behind me as we stand and wait to enter the field. I’m pushed forward by one of my teammates.

“In that moment, when all was bleak, the inherent goodness of the galaxy was affirmed.”

My teammates keep pushing me up towards the field until I’m standing next to Niskat Deenever.

“In that moment, our faith was rewarded.”

She thrusts a pole into my hands.

“We did not stand by to be saved.”

At the top is the Bakuran flag.

“In that moment, Bakura stood together and we fought for everything we held dear.”

I know what I must do.

“And, with the galaxy watching, we proved our mettle.”

Like so many great Miners before me, I hold the flag high, my bottom hand at the level of my chin, my top hand as far above my head as I can reach it, and I lead the team’s rush onto the field. That my teammates would select me for this honor, so often the privilege of the captain, is a gesture that means more than I can say, especially after everything (and I mean everything) I’ve done this season.

I look around the stands for the first time during the national anthem, on this most patriotic day of the year. I see fists in the air in the stands. Rows go by without seeing one, but there are some there. For the first time I think maybe something is changing. For the first time I wonder if my parents hold their fists in the air, if Pam raises hers.

And that is all I have time to think about. The game is underway and both teams have a playoff spot on the line. The Smugglers are trying for the last spot left in the Skywalker Conference just like we’re trying to make it into the Solo Conference playoffs. They hold nothing back, but neither do we. The lead changes several times throughout the game and I do my part, but all I can get are points over the bar. Ric Grimes (he’s a very dirty human, you know) is on me all day. Even though I give him a few good whacks every time he gets near, he doesn’t back down. This dude would probably keep defending me if I were dead.

We take a lead towards the end of the game, but the Smugglers press hard. I don’t mean that they start taking a lot of shots. I mean they bring the entire team into the offensive zone. This is the definition of being all-in and I know what I have to do.

I break away from Grimes and go deep, all the way to the front of our goal. It’s there that Shady Lereoux is leading the charge against Esheps. The blue dude might be a calculating presence on the field, but he’s not going to be able to stop Shady now. He needs help. He needs me.

I announce my arrival by putting my shoulder into Shady’s back, even though the ball is on the opposite side of the field. I’m rewarded by having my legs taken out from beneath me by the prone Smuggler (Smuggless? Smuggletrix? Smugglerine?). Neither of us says a word to the other. We both know the score in a game like this: win at any cost.

I am pretty sure the only reason that there aren’t penalties called on us is because the refs can’t figure out what the abuse we’re dealing out qualifies as in the rule book. I take two handfuls of Shady’s jersey and dig my heels into the turf to slow her from reaching the boloball in time. She pulls my hair, just about giving me whiplash in the process. I tie her cleat laces together during a break in play. She headbutts me in the chest at the next stop. Occasionally we do something mundane like punch the other one as hard as physically possible.

And then there’s a pass across the field that’s a jump ball between us. We both go up and I elbow Shady in the face as I go for the ball. I come down with it and take off running. I swerve around what feels like the entire Smugglers team as I head down the field. I’m only thinking of getting the boloball out of the zone, but then I realize there’s open field in front of me. The only being between me and the goal is the goalkeeper Ripley. I break into a sprint, swinging the boloball in one hand like some high school hot shot who’s showing off for her highlight reel. My limmie sense tells me that I’ve got two strides on the closest Smuggler defender. That means I have a breakaway and the crowd is going nuts. A goal here could seal the game for us. I head straight for the goal with as much speed as I can gather. Ripley comes far out of the box to cut down my angles and challenge me. She’s a Smuggler goalkeeper, so she’s probably going to try to knock my lights out if she can get close enough. Sure enough, she doesn’t just try to stop me, Ripley tries to tackle me. But I’m ready. I leap clear over her and land on my feet on the run. I take one more stride for good measure and then lightly toss the boloball into the net, beginning my celebration before it even crosses the line.

I have won a game on Truce Day. It feels just like I always imagined it would.

My parents and Pam come down to the field after the game to watch the fireworks with me. I hug my folks tightly.

“We’re so proud of you, Harle,” Mom says.

“For everything,” Dad adds.

For everything. Even the protests. Even beating the snot out of opposing players. Even not even winning a majority of my games this season. This praise means so much I nearly cry in their arms.

“Oh look! It’s your neighbor!” Dad says brightly, noticing Pam.

“Mr. and Mrs. Quinn,” Pammy says, “how nice to see you again.”

“How nice that you two became friends!” Dad says. “I was telling your mother after we finished moving you in that I thought it was great that you’d have a friendly face so close by.”

I put an arm around the Falleen. “Pammy and I are dating,” I inform them.

“Oh! Well in that case you have to have breakfast with us tomorrow morning!” Mom says brightly. “How wonderful!”

“Harle.”

I turn around without letting go of Pam. Oh Force. It’s Mr. C.

“Excellent game,” Mr. C says, putting his hand on my shoulder. “You have been everything I hoped. Now do it all again in the playoffs.”

My heart about explodes. Praise. From Mr. C. “Oh, are those the fireworks starting?” I ask dreamily as my head goes all swoony and my knees wobble. If it wasn’t for Pam I would have fainted dead right there on the field.

Best Truce Day ever.

TAG: @Vehn who reviewed the game action

Runjedirun, Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Lets get us started in the Papa Palpatine Bowl where number 16 Enarc Technical University took down number nine University of the Northern Industrial District 27-17 as the last team into the tournament continues to make waves."

"They took out the one seed and now this. You almost have to call them the favorite."

"Or go with their luck has to run out sooner or later..."

"Yeah, wonder which one you believe."

"Meanwhile, the Incom Bowl became a de-facto Bak 10 title game as the number 15 Pioneers of UBTV took on number ten Prytis College of Natural Sciences and wow what a game..."

"Such a good, close, game."

"You could tell these two teams knew each other so well."

"...that saw over a dozen ties or lead changes before UBTV eeked out the 22-20 win to become the first Bak10 team to ever make the Final Four."

"Oh wow, hard to believe no Bak10 team has made it that far."

"This format hasn't been around all that long."

"Sure, sure."

"Still, good for them, it's a heck of an acomplishment"

"Bank of the Core Bowl was an even closer match that saw number six University of Kuat edge out number 14 University of Tatooine, Anchorhead by a 23-22 score."

"S16 looking good!"

"And of course in the one Justin is waiting for..."

"I think he already knows."

"I'm sure he watched it live, and then on replay once or a dozen times."

"... the SoroSuub Bowl saw number four The Ord Sabaok University win out over number five University of Onderon Rupings 20-17."

"Go Bucks!"

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

Final Four Matchups:

• Mining Guild Bowl: #16 Enarc Technical University vs. #4 The Ord Sabaok University
    • Sienar Bowl: #15 UB Telaan Valley vs. #6 University of Kuat

Runjedirun, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Miners assistant captain announces he will be in a commercial set to air during the Galactic Cup Final
    • Penn reports that he is "training super hard. Like, harder than hard. It's the most intense training of my life"
      • Miners captain Niskat Deenever walked by during this interview and facepalmed muttering, "Not like we have a playoff game or anything to train for"
    • Penn: "This is going to be the biggest thing to happen to the Galactic Cup Final ever. It'll probably even change history on...what planet is the Final on again? I feel like I should know this"
    TAG: Nobody! Unless you're hosting the Final and you haven't told Horst yet

10. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009

IC: Shady Lerouex
    The Game of Rivals II

"You have one more game in you, sis?" Erin Windreaver asked as she helped Shady to her feet in the visitor locker room.

Shady winced as she put her full weight on her bad knee. It was worse. Honestly, she thought the season for her would be done by now but somehow the Smugglers had backed into the playoffs with a losing record. It wasn't something anyone was proud about but right now every time was 0-0. Once more she would slip into her jersey, shorts, and cleats and take to the pitch. Somehow it was fitting that her most hated rivals were waiting to take her down a notch, or two, or three.

"I can do this," Shady said as she limped out of the locker room.

One foot in front of the other, Shady, one foot in front of the other. Just like you've done all these years now. Your journey doesn't have to end today. If you could just will yourself to win you could go the distance. You could be a galactic hero once more....

Shady began to head down the visiting tunnel of Meshla'Vhetin once more. This place, this stadium, the fans, the hatred that swirled for the bitter match up between the Smugglers and the Mercs was so familiar. It was like putting on an old glove. It was like wearing your favorite t-shirt on a lazy Limmie afternoon, comfortable, familiar, and at the same time humbling.

Shady stopped in mid-stride as the Smugglers team, her team, stood on both sides of the tunnel clapping their hands. They knew that this might be Shady's last game of Elite League Limmie. They were here to honor their warrior, their heroine, the heart of the squad and of a resurgent offense.

Shady shook hands with everyone as she made her way down the tunnel. There was no time for tears or heartfelt goodbyes. All that was exchanged were strong handshakes, reassuring gazes, and the hope that Nar Shaddaa could walk away once more with a victory against Mando'ade.

This time the game really mattered. This time there were no second chances. This time, Shady knew, it would be a lot closer. A lot closer. There was no way the Mercs hadn't worked hard to figure out the Smuggler's attack or the weaknesses of the defenses. She knew the analysts would have their say about the two teams which on paper looked pretty close statistically save for final record.

Shady didn't care. She really didn't care. All she wanted was to move beyond the talk, move beyond the criticism, the doubters, the haters, and hold that Galactic Cup one more time high above her head. She knew the Smugglers had a long road to that much anticipated goal but she was never one for the odds or anything else. All she knew was the effort she put on the field could be enough to sway the game in her favor.

Shady emerged from the tunnel limping. There was no secret now. The old injury was killing her slowly. The brutality of the game was finally wearing her down after years of dishing out the pain. Maybe it was the galaxy reminder her that she was mortal. Maybe it was the fact that she'd crushed enough of her opponents hopes and dreams in her closed fists that it was her time to suffer. Maybe it was simply a run of bad luck. Either way, the frakking knee hurt.

"You need me to pull you?" Head Coach Mylessa McCloud said jogging up to Shady.

"Frak that," Shady said inserting her crimson mouth guard, "I came here to fight a frakking battle and I am not about to let a little knee pain ruin my game."

"It's my call," Mylessa reaffirmed.

"Frak you," Shady spat, "It's my call. I'm in the game or we lose. It's that simple."

"They could kill you out there," Mylessa warned.

"Let them try," Shady said as she cinched down her gloves and took her position on the pitch.

Shady settled into her age old stance. Her knee creaked and groaned and hurt like a mother bantha. She'd have to get surgery after the season. She'd have to do a lot of things but right now all she wanted to do was play the beautiful game in the most beautiful stadium of them all: Meshla'Vhetin.

The whistle blew and Shady fought away the pain, the suffering, the fear of retirement as she landed a killing blow against the Mercs who came away with the first possession of the game....

Tag: @Bardan_Jusik (let's do this)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  11. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Boutros Sabah
    Boutros's Apartment, O'Pahz, Carratos

To say it had been a good game would have been a lie. It was close, so very close but, that wasn't any of the defenses' doing. 37 points the Starkillers scored against the Pirates, it was almost as if they weren't even there. Boutros did her best trying to keep up but, she always seemed to be one step behind maybe she was past her prime, maybe it was time to hang it up. This year was lost by the defense. There were so many moments that it could have turned, if she had just stopped that last push. It wasn't just the distraction of the whole Pol Sila thing either.

She'd been playing this game for over a decade, that did things to a body, it took its toll. Maybe it was time to admit that. Brain and Sumia were already considering retiring. They had been working together for a long time since the team started. In fact it was them, and L.E.S were the only ones remaining from the old team. It was looking like they would be the only ones left after this year. The question remained could she give it up, could she stop being what she had been for so long. Was this even what she wanted?

Her sore shoulder told her that maybe it was time. She should stop before something bad happens, before an injury makes the decision for her. She could feel her joints aching, her body not recovering as quickly as it used to. Maybe she was just over thinking things, still putting the mess with her past behind her. Either way she should probably rest before making any choices. It had been a long game, and she deserved a rest. A long one, wasn't like they had a Playoff game to prepare for tomorrow. Yet another failing of the defense, this year.

She laid down to sleep, Tian cuddling next to her feeling calm but, there was something in her that felt off. A little piece of her that wasn't at ease with all that had gone on. She shifted uncomfortably for an hour waking Tian every now and then. For some reason the zeltron couldn't quite find sleep, and she couldn't figure at why. She was tired, she was sore, she should be right to sleep but, it was just out of reach for her. Something kept her from getting rest. The woman that shared her bed rolled over again the light from outside the window falling on her blueish skin.

She still doesn't know. Doesn't know about the blood spilt so many years ago. Should she know, should Boutros tell Tian about Pol? About what he did, about what she did? The zeltron knew about Tian's past, the lost of her parents, the split that happened in her mind, the hazy fuzzy memories she had when she was the other person, when she became Wild Nex. Would telling her change anything? It was already making her ill at ease, was straining the relationship. Secrets were a dangerous thing, especially when the effects were felt by others, when someone could sense that something was wrong.

Was there any risk to telling her now? Tian trusted Boutros with her deepest secret, shouldn't that be a two way street?

Then it clicked. Boutros was still keeping things from Tian, the person she felt she could tell everything. Now was not the time, now was a time for sleep, to get her thoughts in order before having this talk with Tian. She closed her eyes finally feeling sleep overtake her and drift off.

The next morning Boutros woke early leaving a note on the stove that she would be back if Tian got up before she was done with her errand. It would be quick just a run down to the little grocery just around the corner from their place to pick up some eggs and meat, along with some polystarch. It was finally time that they got some real food, and it would give Boutros time to prepare herself, prepare to tell Tian everything. No matter what came from it, no matter how Tian's view of her changed, it was time to stop hiding.

She returned home note still on the stove, seemed Tian was being a sleepy head this morning. It was fine with her.

The quiet of the morning was broken by Boutros took down frying pan and putting it on the heating element. A few moments later the sizziling sound of meat added to the sound of the morning. Soon the aroma of it filled the air. If anything would get Tian up this would.

Sure enough after a few moments a few light footsteps drew the defender's attention.

"You slept in." She said looking over her shoulder.

"You kept waking me." Tian replied rubbing her eyes.

"Well had a lot to think about, making breakfast to make up for it."

Tian stood next to Boutros leaning against her as she cooked.

"What were you thinking about?"

"A lot of things but, let's eat first."

"Ok,"

Breakfast was served and they ate in relative quiet. Boutros knew she was just delaying, just putting off the enviable. As Tian was taking a little more eggs, Boutros decided to speak.

"So, you wanted me to talk about what was going on with me recently?"

Tian took a moment to finish eating looking at Boutros with widened yellow eyes.

"Well, yeah it didn't have to be with me but, it was getting worrying."

More guilt hit the defender's heart, she had hurt Tian, even in a small way, keeping this from her.

"Well, I'm sorry for putting you through that. I…I just needed to put things right…in my head." Boutros grew quiet again, looking at her empty plate, seeing something of her reflection in it. "You know I used to run with bad crowd, with the Howlrunners."

"Yeah, your sister leads them."

"And you know I did a lot of things I'm not proud of."

"You changed, you realized you didn't want to do that anymore."

"Well, one of those sins, came back recently." Another breath, time to rip this bandage off, "Tian, I killed someone."

Tian paused, for only a moment, processing what was said, then reached out a hand. She didn't say anything, just smiled.

"I thought I have covered my tracks but…but…"

"Someone found out and you were worried about it coming back to harm you."

"You're taking this a lot better than I expected."

"Well, I did have a bloodthirsty violent persona that took control of me."

"But, that wasn't your fault."

"It still haunts me, what I did. That part is still within me, it isn't like it's gone away. I just temper it, control it. Whatever you've done, I understand, there is darkness in all of us, and sometimes, it overcomes us. The thing to do is not to wallow in it but, to move on. At least that's what I do."

"I should have talked to you earlier." Boutros said, tears forming in the pit of her eyes.

"Yeah, if that was all you were worried about, you should have told me first day."

"I was just worried, worried that the seccers would pressure you."

"Bo, I'm not made of glass, I grew up on Carratos same as you. I know not to talk to the Seccers. I would have kept quiet."

"I was worried you would see me differently, that you would fear me."

"Like I did when I first found out you were a Runner?"

"Yeah…I didn't want to see that fear in your eyes again."

"Look, you were there for me then, I fell for the woman you are now, not who you were. Whatever you've done, whoever you killed, that wasn't you, wasn't the person you've become."

Boutros got up and walked around the table putting her arms around Tian.

"I really don't deserve you."

"No, we're perfect for each other."

They went quiet, just enjoying each other's warmth.

"I guess I should tell you…" Boutros spoke up, "I'm considering retiring."

"Really?" Tian replied a little pain in her voice.

"Yeah, I…I think my body is telling me it's time to stop."

"Why…You've got another year in you don't you."

"Well maybe but, I want to go out on my terms, just like I did with the Runners, I don't want an injury to be the thing that takes me down. It's not like I'm dying, it's just time I find something else to do with my time."

"Well, we could use a defensive coordinator."

"You just want to see me in a collared shirt don't you?"

Tian giggled,

"Well, that too but, I just want to keep you close. I don't want our lives to start going in separate directions."

Boutros kissed the top of Tian's blue and pink head.

"Well at least you're honest."

TAG: @Runjedirun

12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Happy Galactic Cup Playoffs! Bonus potential for Bakura, Mando'ade, and Nar Shaddaa.

Galactic Cup Playoffs
    Conference Semifinals
    (3) Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at (2) Mando'ade Mercs (35-29)
    (3) Stewjon Metropolitans at (2) Bakura Miners (30-33)

Conference Finals
    (3) Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at (1) Euceron Officers
    (2) Bakura Miners at (1) Rydonni Prime Monarchs

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @jcgoble3 @SWNerd11 @Vehn

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    jcgoble3 and Vehn like this.
  13. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Atzerri (28) and Concordia (28)

LFL Play – Offs

(6) Atzerri Bandits @ (3) Concordia Crusaders (18-1)
    (5) Rattatak Sea Devils @ (4) Thyferra Force (10-12)

LFL Semifinals

(4) Thyferra Force @ (2) Tatooine Sandskimmers
    (6) Atzerri Bandits @ (1) Druckenwell Marksmen

Tags: @galactic-vagabond422 @Jedi Gunny @Bardan_Jusik @Vehn

Trieste likes this.
  14. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Von’kedo

Von’kedo sat cross legged on the sofa. A defiant look on her face as her father handed her the data pad. “Call him,” her father repeated.

She had always been the good girl. She had always done everything her parents had asked. Maybe a voice in her head said, maybe she should call Tomas. He’d been staying with his brother Spencer for the two days since he’d been escorted away.

“Kedo,” her father consoled as he sat down next to her. “If he’d done something so heinous, he wouldn’t be out on bail. Remember when you were dating?” Her father asked.

Von’kedo nodded. She remembered well. Her parents didn’t approve of the relationship. They told her there were other ways to pay for med school. She shouldn’t’ marry a man for his credits. They also saw the news stories. Tomas once went so far above the speed limit he spent a night in jail. He’d accepted free meals shoes and other tokens from potential sponsors. College players could become ineligible for accepting gifts. Coming from a family that could already buy him anything he desired made Tomas look worse in the eyes of the general population on Tatooine and her parents. Tomas shrugged off his critics. Besides Tomas had never done Von’kedo wrong. He followed her like a puppy. Craving her love. Buying her gifts. He’d been loyal and faithful. How had she let herself believe he had done what he had been accused of? “Can I have some privacy?” She asked her father as she reached for the data pad.

Living at Spencer’s wasn’t like anything Tomas had ever experienced. The arrest and charges didn’t scare Tomas. There would be no evidence for a crime he didn’t commit. Besides nothing made Richard happier than applying for a license to practice law on a third planet. He’d done his eldest brother a favor getting in this mess.

Tomas woke each morning to a house full of noisy little girls. They ran around the house and fussed over what to wear. He sipped his caf until they went to school. Spencer took Prince to work with him. A private tutor met them at the stadium. Georgia, Spencer’s wife, turned on a couple of droids to make beds, clean up breakfast and she’d also leave the house. To where Tomas did not know. He read books the first day, today he had started to dismantle the droid that cleaned up the breakfast dishes. Mainly Tomas wanted to keep his mind busy, he didn’t want to think of Von’kedo.

If tonight was going to be like last night he’d need something to occupy himself. Spencer’s house was chaotic in the evening. The girls came home and ran wild. Georgia yelled, “Supper,” but no plates were on the table. One by one each family member grabbed a plate and helped themselves. The younger girls nibbled on their food, but mostly continued to play. Their plates on the living room floor. Serene stuck her face in a data pad and ate in her room. Spencer retreated to his home office with his plate, Prince his obedient shadow accompanied his uncle; meanwhile Georgia ate alone in the kitchen.

Tomas was knee deep in droid parts when “Supper” was called that evening. No one seemed to notice that he had dismantled one of the cleaning droids until Prince arrived. Prince came in with Spencer, he wandered the house peering in each room until he had found and hugged every member of his family. When it was his turn Tomas gently hugged his nephew back, “I love you.” He said.

Prince sat on the floor near Tomas. He began sorting the parts in piles. “Thank you” Tomas said. “You can be my helper.”

When Prince finished sorting the droid parts he got up and looked over Tomas’ work. After a careful look he took a piece from a pile and handed it to Tomas. “How did you know I needed that?” He asked.

Prince just smiled. Tomas and Prince silently rebuilt the droid. When it was finished Tomas was sure that it wouldn’t miss crumbs or spill cups left full by their owners. When his data pad began to buzz Tomas almost ignored it completely. Then he saw who was calling. He dropped everything, alarming Prince and answered the call.

“Von,” Tomas said eagerly. Then he stopped. Should he be so grateful that she called, or angry she hadn’t called earlier?

“Tomas, are you okay?” She asked.

“I’m fine,” Tomas said despite the fact that Prince was storming around the living room scattering the droid parts angrily. Obviously his nephew did not like that their evening had been interrupted.

“I’m sorry. I should have called sooner,” Vonkedo said. “I don’t have an excuse. Can I see you?”

“You can come over right now if you want,” Tomas replied eagerly.

Quickly Tomas cut the call and began to try and calm his nephew. “Prince, it was just a call. We can work on the droid again,” he soothed. Once Prince finished stomping his feet he took Tomas’ hand and led him to the kitchen.

Tomas and Prince were finishing their snack when the doorbell rang. Prince ran for the door, his sisters nearly ran into him trying to beat him to the chase. Tomas held back and just took in the sight as his bride bent over to hug Prince and greet her nieces. “I think they go to bed soon,” Tomas said with a shrug.

All the children wanted attention, but Tomas was right about 30 minutes into the competition for attention their mother gathered them for baths. “So,” Tomas said bewildered as he leaned back into the sofa. “How have you been?”

“Alone,” Von’kedo admitted.

“I know this looks bad,” Tomas said nonchalantly. “I’d never harm anyone. I’d never sleep with another woman. This woman came on to me strong. We can’t decide if she’s after credits or angry I turned her down, but we’ll take care of her,” by we Tomas meant Richard and himself.

“I’ll help too,” Von’kedo said from where she was sitting on the other side of the room.

Tomas gave her a questioning look. “I mean, I’ll testify for your character. If it comes to that.” Von’kedo clarified.

Tomas smiled, Von’kedo got up and walked over to the sofa so she could sit next to him. The stayed up a while talking before retreating to the room Tomas was staying in.

The next morning everyone awoke to a call from law enforcement. The charges were being dropped. The woman’s story didn’t carry enough water. She’d changed it three times already when the officers presented evidence.

Tomas was under order from his coaches to rest so his body could heal from the season, that didn’t stop him from attending the Sandskimmers practices. He helped set up drills and listened to every instruction his brother gave to midfielders Fizzle and Starr. Spencer’s team of “has been’s” and “never amounted to anything’s” had placed second in the LFL this season. Now they had a chance to host a home game against the Thyferra Force. It would be fun to sit in the stands for a change. Not to feel the pain of other’s crushing his body into the turf. Stuffing his face with Nacho’s and gulping fizz.

Von’kedo

Her parent’s house was vandalized. She received threats for staying with a rapist and not speaking up against him on the holo net. Von’kedo knew that as time passed beings would forget. It was only temporary she reminded herself.

For his part Tomas had hired a body guard. He didn’t seem worried about their safety as they headed to the stadium for the Sandskimmers match up against the Force. As Tomas exited their speeder spit landed on his face. Tomas didn’t look up at who had spit on him. He was cool and collected. Von’kedo couldn’t believe it. She almost wanted Tomas to attack the being who had been so bluntly rude.

When they took their seats in Spener’s box, Tomas leaned over and gave her a kiss. “I know this isn’t easy”, he whispered.

Von’kedo remembered something Tomas said to her on their first date. “I know you think my life is easy, that credits solve everything. They don’t,” he had said.

For the first time Von’kedo was beginning to understand. Her family’s house was fixed, no one had to stress about giving up a want for the need. The body guard was just another accessory they could afford. It didn’t take off much of a burden to know you could afford to keep “fixing” everything.

Seeing Tomas take this all in stride. Watching him hug his nephew as he ran into the box with his sister’s. Von’kedo knew that Tomas was the strongest person she knew. Someday they wouldn't be attending a game during the ELL play-offs. Someday soon Tomas was going to be playing in the post season. Someday he was going to use this strength to win a cup.

Tag: No one

jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  15. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Christine Gamble

(Spoiler warning for Rebels included, just in case)

The game was out of reach.

Christine did not need to look at the scoreboard to understand that their playoff hopes were gone. With the Bakura win and Stewjon taking care of business, the Senators had required a win to sneak in ahead of them. But that was not going to happen today. Euceron had been the better team, dominating the offensive zone all day. The veteran corner back had played well, but the other defenders had been leaky with their coverages. Michonne had gotten cooked in goal.

Christine glanced over to the Senator sideline. Cuth Hulu, the Khil head coach, signaled for a timeout after Euceron scored again to pad their lead late. Kelly Vurgess, Christine’s longtime running mate at corner back before being supplanted by Wahay Contar, ran out onto the field.

“Curtain call, old-timer,” she commented as she approached. “Coach wanted you to have your last sub-out be special.”

Christine looked back to the other players on the field with her. There were a mix of emotions on their faces, some likely more disappointed with the loss they were going to suffer than watching the senior corner leave the field one last time. Leia Adama, the captain, was also going to be pulled from the game, replaced by rookie Morgana DuChaard. She came over in what was to be her final exit from the field of the season.

“I think this is your farewell, not mine,” she said. “After all that’s happened this season, I think you showed us something. Now it’s time for you to enjoy the moment.” She jogged off the field to the usual applause reserved for a starter leaving the field during the last game when the game was out of reach.

Christine finally began to walk off the field. In the stands, beings began to stand up from their seats. The applause was deafening as the veteran slowly left the field. She wanted to have this come weeks later, potentially in the Galactic Cup Final. But that was not to be. She would not be a champion in this league. She would never have played in the Final. Those ghosts would stick with her forever.

The 12-time All-Star finally exited the field to the applause, the game referees allowing the timeout to be extended because of the occasion. After all, given that the Senators had coughed up another playoff chance in what had become a habitual choke job late in the season, the only thing the Senators fans had left to see was the disappearance of their star corner back from the field of play.

Christine finally reached the bench, the lip of her jersey now residing in her mouth. She pulled a towel off the rack and draped it over her head in frustration. There was no way to truly reflect on what this meant. There was only great sadness over her career being done. The only thing she had ever truly known was wrapping up, and she had no say in it at all.

Once the game was over and Euceron was able to celebrate their Commissioner’s Trophy win, the Senators walked dejectedly off the field in defeat once more. Christine took one last look back at the field before following the other players into the bowels of the stadium.

It was all over.

Christine signed the paperwork the next day to complete her retirement. She was no longer a player in the Elite League, now one of the hundreds of thousands who had quit playing the game at its highest level in its history. She would now be a figure etched into the history books only, unable to add any chapters to her playing career from here on out. Someday, she would likely be forgotten, a footnote.

There was no way to ease the sting of defeat, she knew. Hopefully, in time, she would find her way in retirement. But, for the moment, her time was through. And she felt lost.

She left the facility for the final time, knowing that here on out would be a new chapter in her life. Deep down, she understood that she had to face the unknown in the only way she knew how; to tackle it. She watched the sun set over the East Industrial District skyline, knowing that just like the sun, her career had ended. But, as the saying went, the sun would come up again the next day. And she had to be there to meet it.

A new chapter had begun in the life of Christine Gamble. Where the path would lead her, she could not yet comprehend.

TAG: No One

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    IC: Tendra Nalo
    Time: Week 9 game at Senators

Tendra received the pass near the Officers’ left side of the goal and turned toward the goal to shoot. She never got that chance as she was walloped from the left and tasted dirt as ball came loose. A weight lifted off of her, and she rolled over to get up, finding Christine Gamble also getting up. So that’s who had knocked her down. She’s a damn good player, Tendra thought as she rubbed her shoulder and watched the play moving the other way turn into a bar point for the Senators early in the first half.

As the game progressed, it was clear that Christine was giving it 110% in what might be her final game. Tendra never had a clear shot on Christine’s side of the field; all of Tendra’s scores came from the center or opposite side of the field. Son’ic Hedg’hog, the Officers’ left corner forward who was matched directly against Christine, was likewise shut down all day.

But in the end, the rest of the Senators’ defense could not match that. Tendra was pulled by Leota once it was clear the game was in garbage time, and she noticed that Christine was subbed off at the same stoppage. As she sat on the bench, Tendra looked across the field at Christine on the opposite sideline. The corner back was sitting there with a towel over her head looking down at the ground, obviously upset that she had missed the playoffs again and that her career was ending right here instead of next week or the week after or the week after that.

When the buzzer sounded, Tendra brought up the rear of the handshake line. She was looking for one player in particular, and she found her near the end, looking dejected. She reached out and grasped the hand of Christine Gamble, but instead of a quick “good game” and moving on, she stopped and placed her left hand over Christine’s hand. “Christine, you’ve had a hell of a career because you’re a hell of a player,” Tendra said. “You’re one of the best backs I’ve gone up against, and you completely shut down your area of the field today. Listen to me,” Tendra said, waiting to make sure Christine was looking right at her before continuing.

“Don’t be upset because you lost today or because you didn’t make the playoffs. That takes an entire team to accomplish. One player can’t win a game by themselves. What matters is that you gave 110% not just today, but in every game you played. I dare say that your career might even be worthy of the Hall of Fame. Only time will tell on that. But in any case, you’ve more than earned your retirement. Promise me you’ll enjoy it, okay?”

Christine looked at Tendra as she absorbed these words. “I will.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Tendra stood with the rest of the team as two league employees with white gloves carried the gleaming Commissioner’s Trophy out of the tunnel and onto the field. They brought it out to midfield and set it down on a pedestal in front of Tendra.

The presenter (Tendra didn’t catch the name; she wasn’t sure who did this presentation nowadays since Gondorf left) picked up the microphone. “Well, well. Another season in the books, if anyone knows what a book is these days. First things first, I want to offer my congratulations to Christine Gamble on an excellent career. It’s a shame that it had to end this way.” The home Senators crowd, at least those who were left, broke out into applause, and Tendra and the rest of the Officers joined them.

When the applause died down, the presenter continued. “This moment is about recognizing the team that did the best over the regular season. And for 289, that team is the Euceron Officers. In just their third year of existence, they have captured the Commissioner’s Trophy. Miss Nalo, as captain, the trophy is yours.”

Some teams would have refused to touch it or the conference championship trophies to be awarded in two weeks, considering doing so to be a curse that would deny them the Galactic Cup. Tendra considered such thinking to be bantha poodoo, and as such, she took three steps forward, grabbed the trophy, and raised it over her head with a grin. The rest of the team gathered around and laid a hand on the trophy for the holos.

They kept the celebration subdued, knowing that they were on someone else’s home field; the real celebration would be on the shuttle home, and not beyond that, for even though they had a bye week, Leota wouldn’t let them out of practice. They’d be back on Euceron by tomorrow morning and would have practice before having a chance to unpack their bags. For now, Tendra carried the trophy back to the visitor’s locker room. Post-game press conferences were ahead, and then the flight home. Tendra thought about the game three weeks from now; she hoped to not just be playing in it, but to win it.

Then her thoughts drifted to Christine Gamble and retirement. How many years did Tendra have left in her? Full forwards took a lot of abuse; Gamble herself had dished out quite a bit of that today and was the cause of Tendra’s sore shoulder right now from the hit early in the game. Tendra had played in the Elite League for ten years (although she had entered the League two years younger than most players), and was starting to feel it in the mornings. How long before it affected her play on the field? How long until she couldn’t play like she used to? Should she retire before this happened, before she ceased to be one hundred percent? Or should she stick it out through the inevitable decline until she was no longer fit to play professionally? And what about the concussion risk? Tendra had suffered an extremely severe, nearly fatal, concussion off the field in her rookie year with the C-Bucs, and a couple of smaller ones on the field since then. How much should she risk it? That was perhaps the biggest question of all.

As Tendra undressed, she knew only one thing: There were no clear answers.

TAG: @Jedi Gunny (who approved the game action and the interaction between Tendra and Christine)

Trieste, Runjedirun and Jedi Gunny like this.
  17. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a cloudy and cool Taungsday afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the defending Glactic Cup Champion Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"One and done..." Justin sounded dejected.

"Yeah, yeah, as most all of our listeners know, Mercs got bumped out of the postseason before a raucous sellout crowd at Meshla Vhetin yesterday to that shabla team from Nal Hutta's Moon 25 to 29, and man the Strugglers..."

"Can we really call them that anymore?"

"I am."

"...really came out of the gate firing..."

"They did, they were amped up for this game..."

"To be fair, who wouldn't be?"

"...as they put their stamp on this game early."

"They did, they did. I don't think we made enough of this in the week leading up to the game, but this playoff match up featured the season's best offense against the best defense and the best offense prevailed."

"Yeah, kind of snuck up on even me that the Mercs had the best defense of the regular season..."

"We're so used to them being an offensive juggernaught."

"...but their defense played really well all year. they just ran into a buzz saw of an offense in with the Smugglers, led by of course Left Corner Forward Shady Lerouex in what many expect to be her final season."

"She certainly made her mark during both the regular season and now the playoffs here, and gets to go out against the Mercs as a winner."

"Mercs tried their best to slow her down, to slow them down, but they just couldn't."

"They made a game of it though, Arock was on fire."

"Scored 13 points on his wn, Jaing ahd five..."

"Yeah, they did, and i appreciate that, they hung with the Smugglers all the way until the end though they never really managed to ever take control of the game at any point."

"Why was that?"

"They let the Smugglers dictate the tempo of the game, plain and simple."

"Tempo?"

"Like we said, right away the Smugglers came out firing with that rapid fire attack of theirs, and though the mercs were able to respond and keep up for awhile, they just aren't built for a high scoring shootout anymore."

"Why not? We sure have been for the last few seasons."

"Players age, they slow down."

"Makes sense."

"We also lost a dynamic offensive minded middie when we traded away Irvin to the Miners, and though Pic played well in this game..."

"Two points, ten assists to only three turnovers."

"...we've been ragging on her hard for not living up to expectations all season and even here she seemed to lose steam down the stretch."

"Think the Mercs bring her back?"

"Despite losing a step, she is a great veteran presence there in the middle of the field, a proven winner. I think they at least try to, but I'm not as sure she's interested."

"If not, the Mercs should have some good draft picks to grab her replacement."

"Yeah, middling draft picks for getting bounced early in the postseason, but middies tend to go late so the Mercs do have a backup plan there I suppose."

"They don't have many pending free agents this year either guys, so I could see Vizsla using those picks as trade chips for a veteran too if he wanted to go that route..."

TAG: @Vehn

OOC: Short and sweet post this week, just like my playoff run this season. :p

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    jcgoble3, Trieste, Vehn and 1 other person like this.
  18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
  19. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008

(Note: This is my response to our esteemed GM's comment about old Senators never dying, just fading away, in OOB. Oh, and GM Approved)

“My old travel suit? You know I would look ridiculous in that!”

“Nonsense! I think you look good in it, no matter your objection.”

“I used to wear it when I was about fifteen pounds lighter, you know.”

“Sh. Just put it on.”

“Fine, but it’s not my fault if it doesn’t fit,” the Besalisk said as he put the suit jacket over his burly shoulders. It was a tight fit, much tighter than it ever used to be. He rolled his large eyes and sighed. Why he had ever let himself gain this much weight, he didn’t know. Once the jacket was on, he put the pants on.

Unfortunately, there was a problem. The pants were extremely tight, much more so than they had ever been before. Back in the day, he had used a belt with them to remain classy. However, the belt wasn’t even on, and he was out of available space.

“Please tell me they have a larger size than this,” he commented, pulling on the waistband to see if he could find additional slack.

“Nothing a tailor couldn’t work with,” was the response he received.

“My presser is today. I don’t have time to visit a tailor.”

“It’s not my fault you left this up to the last minute! You should have thought about this when you were hired.”

“I figured that I would be allowed to go with a suit that fit. You know, one that the wife didn’t necessarily insist that I had to wear because I used to wear it back in the day.”

“Dirxx Horstse, you know better than to question my judgment,” Re’lia Horstse said, wagging her finger at her husband. “That’s why you have me around, to give you fashion advice.”

“Really? I didn’t see that in the marriage manual,” Dirxx said, a grimace forming on his face as he continued to struggle with the pants.

Re’lia rolled her eyes. “You are incorrigible, you know that?”

Dirxx just shrugged. “Guess that’s who I am.”

“I suppose you should stop at a store on the way to find clothes that fit,” the Twi’lek said as she continued to go through the closet. “But, for Force sake, remember to take the tags off before you need to wear the suit in front of people. I remember the last time you did this, you embarrassed me because everyone could see the tags hanging from the neck line on that sport coat I got you.”

“It’s not my fault they make the tags impossible to remove,” Dirxx protested. “If they were smart, they would be easy to rip out instead of needing to cut ‘em out!”

“Some habits of yours just don’t die, do they?”

“You knew what you were getting into when we got together,” Dirxx said, now squirming in the suit jacket. “It’s pretty much the same now. I’m just fifteen pounds heavier.”

“Just get going. You need to find the next size up, and don’t skimp on the price tag. I want you looking presentable for your first day.”

“I’m not going to school Holo day, you know.”

“And don’t, I mean don’t, buy a pinstriped pair of pants. If someone doesn’t kill you there at the conference, then I will when you get home,” the Twi’lek commented snidely as she stuck her head out of the closet.

“OK, no pinstripes.”

“And no garish suits like the ones seen in those old comedies. I want you to look presentable, got it?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Dirxx said, turning away to hide his annoyance.

“Good. Now, remember to clean up nicely and look good for the cameras. I’ll be watching, so put on your best face. And try to smile.”

“I’m a Besalisk. We practically wrote the book on smiling.”

“Not too creepy, though. You don’t need to scare little children at the door looking for candy.”

“Like I’ve had good practice,” Dirxx commented.

“Just do your best. If you do that, I’ll approve of it,” Re’lia said. “Now get going.”

“Do the kids know where I’m going?”

“Of course. You told them already.”

“I did?” Dirxx asked.

“Of course. Now get going.”

“I doubt that your sister pushes her husband around this much,” Dirxx said.

“From what Lin tells me, sometimes she has to keep Gark’s head on straight. He can be a handful.”

“I bet,” Dirxx said, nodding. It was an odd situation that he was in. His wife’s sister, Me’lin, was the wife of Gark S’rily. That couple had been the driving force behind Dirxx and Re’lia meeting each other many years earlier, and they had hit it off well. Perhaps it looked weird to onlookers given the difference in their species, but it was a small price to pay.

“Get going, or I’ll have to light a fire under your ass,” Re’lia said.

“Already on my way out the door,” Dirxx said. He headed out the door with his keys and suitcase. It was time to enter a new phase of his life. He was nervous, but hopefully optimistic as well.

Given his history, that was how it had always been. Why change it?

:xwing::xwing::xwing:

Name: Dirxx Horstse
    Species: Besalisk
    Homeworld: Coruscant
    Birth Year: 237
    Physical Appearance: Brown scaly skin, little patch of hair on top of the head. Roughly two meters tall.
    Relation to Team: General Manager
    Bio: If entered in such a contest, Dirxx Horstse would be the third one in line to wear the title of "Mr. Coruscant Senator", behind only Jipoly Numifolis and Gark S'rily.

The son of Senator star back and beloved captain Dain Horstse, Limmie has always been a part of his life. When his father and his entire team were killed in a ship accident in 246, Dirxx was distraught. For many years, he felt as though the game was the only way he could truly honor his father. This sentiment continued when he played for National University of the Super 16 Conference, hecklers bothering him wherever he went that he would never measure up to the greatness of his father. to some degree, he had to agree with them; he would never be able to match up to his father's legacy.

Out of college in 259, he signed with his hometown Senators as an intriguing prospect. Though his mind for the game was sharp as a tack, he could never fully put all the pieces together to be considered a great player. His joking attitude, meanwhile, made it appear as though he could be unfocused at times and not be capable of any kind of leadership. This continued for his first three seasons in the League, when the Senators continued to drift listlessly without good ownership.

In 262, the Andromeda Corporation purchased the Senator organization and named Gark S'rily as the head of the Limmie operations. S'rily, despite not knowing a thing about Limmie coming in, had an uncanny knack for the game. He identified Dirxx as a potential captain candidate in the first practice despite the sentiment not being shared by the coaching staff. The Besalisk went on to have a stellar career, winning two Galactic Cup titles as a player before retiring in 273 with many of his fellow Senator stars Polis Vayne, Shayt Contar, Shev Fil'yer, Lokesh Fil'ish, and Syprul Raches. The "Senator Six", along with Bakuran import Moen Heatly, had created a perennial playoff juggernaut that had overcome all obstacles to appear in six Cup Finals in the span of a dozen years. He was later named to the Gaalctic Limmie Hall of Fame on Empress Teta for his accomplishments, joining his father and the 246 team enshrined in memorium decades after their deaths.

After retiring, Dirxx served as a coach for the following two seasons with the Senators. When he was let go following the 275 season, he decided to leave the game entirely to focus on other pursuits. He refused to return on several occasions, content to live out his life off the pitch and out of the spotlight. Yet, all the while he watched as the franchise he reinvigorated began to fall back into its old ways of losing.

Finally, reluctantly, he has been drawn back in by the hopes of a new generation of Senator fans who had never seen him play but had heard of his greatness. And, though no one can prove it otherwise, the wily old Bothan S'rily likely had some influence in his return despite remaining in the college ranks . . .

20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• New Senators GM Dirxx Horstse makes bevy of changes to roster.
      • Coruscant Senators release to FA/Waivers:
        • Felda (Cathar, Female, Midfielder)
        • Mykal Oha (Human, Male, Full Back)
        • Kelly Vurgess (Hapan, Female, Defensive Back)
        • Bosco “Buzz” Lightyeer (Human, Male, Half Back)
        • Croc Walon (Trandoshan, Male, Goalkeeper)
        • Arm’mich’onne “Michonne” (Chiss, Female, Goalkeeper)
        • Woody Wakes (Human, Male, Half Forward)
      • Senators sign:
        • Rhihush (Male, Wookiee, Fullback, University of Tatooine Anchorhead)
        • Maydla Woodle (Human, Female, Midfielder, University of Coruscant)
        • Polly Malu (Zeltron, Female, Half Back, formerly with the Bakura Miners)
    • Horstse: "I want to make this competitive down the road, which will require a level of building. I want to evaluate what we have, and then build the best team I can."
    • When asked if established players are available via trade: "We are open to all options. If a team wants to swing a trade for one of our stars, we will seriously listen to all offers"
    • Some level of speculation exists that team captain Leia Adama may be included in statement. Adama could not be reached for comment at this time.
    TAG: @Jedi Gunny

21. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009

IC: Shady Lerouex

Smugglers 39, Mercs 25

Mesh'a Vhetin

The Game of Rivals II

Shady spun, ball tucked under her arm, and dodged a diving Jo'ee Bo'sa as she powered her way toward the goal. The noise in the stadium was absolutely deafening. She stared down Regan Stargazer, the Mercs goalie, and refused to be intimidated. This was her day to shine, her day to put to rest the critics, the doubters, the haters.

She began to run forward, fighting the stabbing pain shooting up from her right knee, and leapt up in the air over Aurora Terragone. Shady dug her cleats in Aurora's back as she pulled her arm back to fire a heater into the goal, under the bar, for three.

Shady found her footing and began to backpedal toward the half field line, and make a hard cut, when she went down after putting full weight on her right knee. An injury timeout was called as the Smuggler's team doctor ran out onto the field. Head Coach Mylessa McCloud quickly joined her.

"Prognosis?" Mylessa asked.

"She's strained her ACL. Not torn," the team doctor replied waving a scanner over Shady's knee. "But if she keeps pushing it she may find herself out of the playoffs."

"That's it," Mylessa said, "you're out of the game. I'm pulling you."

"We're winning the game," Shady cursed as the doctor continued to examine her knee, "we're winning the damn game and you want to pull me? I've already scored 15 points. I'm on a roll. Doc, tape the knee."

"Don't do this," the doctor warned, "you need to rest."

"I'll rest when I'm dead!" Shady yelled, "Tape the frakking knee, now!"

Mylessa McCloud and the team doctor exchanged a look before Mylessa nodded in approval. She knew she couldn't stop Shady from having the best game of her late career. She knew that Shady might not've been the team captain but when the offense flowed through her magic happened.

Shady stood and re-entered the game. This time she used the younger legs of Jamie Duplysses, Martia Paak, and Niall Rian to inflate the score. She didn't mind seeing the young bucks tear it up out there. She just simply wanted a win in the most hostile environment in Limmie.

The Smugglers were in shootout mode. Defense was a thing of the past. The Mercs were getting tired and their defenders could start to see the writing on the wall. They continued to fight hard, as they always did, but once the Smugglers tapped deep into their playbook for scoring plays and began to post an insurmountable lead it was all but over.

The final buzzer sounded and Shady fell to the turf in utter exhaustion as the Smugglers team swarmed around her. She felt herself being hoisted high on their shoulders as they performed a victory lap in the most intimidating stadium of them all.

She looked out at the faces of her fiercest rival knowing that they had gone the distance with her in a prize fight for the ages. She respected them. There would be no taunting today. There would be no rubbing salt in a ferocious wound. There could only be muted admiration for a team that had defined championships in the decade known as the 280: the Mando'ade Mercs.

For now, though, victory was hers.

Eusebus, Euceron

Shady began her warm up routine along the perimeter of Officers stadium. It still felt weird to refer to Euceron under their new name. Felt strange. Still, Euceron had taken the Nar Shaddaa to town earlier in the season and Shady wanted a chance to prove that their victory had been a fluke.

She bent over and examined the knee brace that had been assigned to her after the Mercs game. It was comfortable and supported her knee in all the right places but the one thing it didn't do for her was help her mobility. It was harder to make cuts, to quickly change position, to get ready for the next set. Still, at least the pain was subsiding.

The team doctor had already scheduled surgery for Shady after the season. It would be her last medical appointment as a member of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers. Owner Vera Grames and General Manager Addison Vehn had seen to it that Shady would have the same healthcare that she had as an active member of the squad. Essentially, all bills were covered.

Shady closed her eyes and soaked in the moment. The game would begin soon. Either the Smugglers would win or lose. That outcome wasn't entirely in her control. She had to be okay with that.

Tag: @Bardan_Jusik, @jcgoble3

jcgoble3, Trieste and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  22. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"We had a wild one in the Mining Guild Bowl as Cinderella story number 16 Enarc Technical University took on the fouth seeded 4 The Ord Sabaok University and they showed everyone why they have been busting brackets, but the StarBucks manage to finally stop the lunacy winning 23-22 on a last second goal by star midfielder Liz Hasselbeckski."

"That girl can flat out play!"

"And it's going to be an all Super 16 Finals this year as the 15th seeded UB Telaan Valley Pioneers lost to the six seed, University of Kuat, 23 to 18 in the Sienar Bowl."

"Best conference all season long, not surprised they meet to duke it out at the end!"

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

GCAA Limmie Championship Game

Skimmer Ade Bowl: #6 University of Kuat vs. #4 The Ord Sabaok University

23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Harle Quinn
    Bakura Gardens, Salis D’aar, Bakura

I put my head in my hands. I am absolutely shell shocked. It’s halftime and the score is 23-10...Stewjon. They’ve barely scored 23 points in a game this season, let alone in a half. This is last year all over again. I might not have been playing for the Miners then, but I was sure watching them fall apart in the Solo Conference Final to these same Mets.

After everything, after how hard we worked to make the playoffs, after beating the Mets in the regular season, after all we’ve done, to come crashing to the ground like this...I don’t know what to think or do. I’m sure the fans are leaving, getting an early jump on the rest of their lives. I know I wouldn’t stick around to watch terrible limmie like this.

Draper is addressing the team, talking about what we need to differently in this half. I’m not even paying attention. It won’t matter. Stewjon has us beat. I’ve been in this situation a hundred times before. There comes a moment when a game is lost and that moment was a looooooooooooong time ago.

“We’re gonna lose,” I groan, but not loudly enough to get Draper’s attention. (Not that it would matter if he yelled at me at this point. It certainly couldn’t make things any worse.)

“Harle, get ahold of yourself,” Jo whispers next to me.

“We’re gonna lose,” I repeat, rocking forward and back on the bench. (You’ve blown it now Harle. Mr. C is going to cut you and no one’s going to even touch you with a thirty-nine-and-a-half meter pole now. Maybe -AA boloball. That’s right negative double A boloball. Where you have to pay to play.)

Jo wrenches my hands away from my face. It’s probably super ugly right now. (Just kidding, Zeltrons are beautiful criers, unlike 83% of all humans who are as ugly as a Whipid when they cry.) My tears have probably left pink trails through my white makeup, revealing my skin beneath.

“This game is only half over. You think this is over? This isn’t even close to over,” Jo hisses.

I look blankly ahead.

“You have to snap out of it,” Jo continues. “You give up now and every human who thinks anyone who doesn’t look like them is less than they are is going to say, ‘Yeah, just look at Quinn. Totally lost it out there when the going got tough. She should do what Zeltron are good at and be eye candy.’”

Not even thinking about shoving it to speciest humans can raise my spirits. (Though after the game I think I’ll go punch some of them to prove I can do something right.)

“Do it for your teammates. Do it for the Miners. For Cundertol.”

All I can think about is how all his praise from Truce Day will evaporate into a cold glare, at best. (At worst he’ll mercilessly dissect every mistake I made in front of the whole locker room, reveal that I came in second in my eighth grade pinebox derby, and then inform the team that for the remainder of my contract I will be a tackling dummy since that’s all that I’m good for.)

“Do it for Pamila.”

My Falleen girlfriend barely understands the rules of the sport. She doesn’t even know the name of the Galactic Cup of Limmie. (Even when I ask her what the name of the cup awarded to the galactic champion of limmie is. I know she’s a florist but come on!)

Smack!

Jo slaps me across the cheek. I look at her in disbelief and do the only reasonable thing.

Smack!

I jump to my feet and slap her back. I don’t know why, but it snaps me back to myself. What am I doing? I’m just going to let a bunch of dopes from Stewjon walk away with this game? (Frak no!)

“LET’S DO THIS!” I shout.

The locker room is looking at the two of us.

“Harle, we have 14 minutes before the end of halftime,” Draper says, pointing to the chrono in the locker room ticking down the time. I look at the chrono and sit down quietly.

13 minutes and 46 seconds later

“LET’S DO THIS!” I shout as I jump to my feet.

I had zero points in the first half. Zero. That’s unacceptable. But I know so is trying to force your shots when one of your teammates is on a roll--and one of mine is.

Kyr Irvin came to Bakura because he wanted to show the galaxy that he was good in his own right, that he was no second fiddle to Fu Arock. He had won Galactic Cups, but now he wanted to win one his way. He wanted to be the man. (Also, that’s kind of sexist. Unless he was leaving room for me to be the woman, in which case it was kind of thoughtful of him. Gender politics can get confusing sometimes.)

And, after Irvin booted the first point of the half between the uprights to get us started, my limmie sense (it tingles a lot like a spider walking across my brain--too bad “limmie sense” doesn’t really capture that sensation, I just can’t think of another term for it--wait!--boloball sense! Silly me) perks up. Somehow I know that Irvin is primed for a big day.

When the boloball first reaches me, I’ve got a point over the bar, easy. But single points aren’t going to win this. We’ve played together long enough that I know just where Irvin’s going to be. I lob the ball laterally and Irvin takes it on the run and puts in a goal. 23-14.

And he puts in another. 23-17.

And another. 25-20.

And another. 25-23.

And ANOTHER. 26-26.

Five goals all off passes I send his way. Back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back (I can’t even think about that kind of species has that many backs). I’ve never seen anything like it. He is a being on fire. The fans are going nuts. We’re tied.

Now the coaches start playing tactically. They’re trying to limit the big scores and are trading points over the bar. It’s 30-29, Mets. Draper wants to head for overtime, wear the Mets out there, not get too greedy. They don’t have the constitution for an OT game. That means just get the boloball up to the midfield and let Irvin take a bomb shot from far out. But Irvin is getting triple teamed and Kyr isn’t dumb--if he’s triple teamed, that means others are uncovered.

And I’m one of them. (Silly Mets! Tricks are for Harles!)

Irvin knows how to pay it forward. He threads a pass through two sets of arms and it gets to me. I’m off at a run. The crowd is calling for me to shoot. Oh I’m gonna shoot. I am gonna shoot like Han Solo in a cantina. And you, Stewjon goalkeeper, are a Rodian bounty hunter. (And not an awesome one either, like Navik the Red. I mean, sure, he wasn’t a bounty hunter per se, but he was still awesome.)

My only score of the game, a goal, brings us our first lead of the day. 32-30. I slide across the turf on my knees in celebration as the Gardens explode. All of the fear that this was going to be last year all over again suddenly boils over into joy. It’s almost an afterthought that Irvin caps off his incredible day with an interception and final point over the bar.

We mob Irvin at midfield to celebrate before the handshakes. We are going to Ryell and if there’s one thing I know, it’s that when you go to Ryell, you don’t stop believing.

TAG: None, officially, but @Bardan_Jusik and @SWNerd11 deserve callouts

Vehn, Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. SWNerd11

SWNerd11 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    IC: Dawn Solo
    Rydonni Prime

After the Monarchs’ fourth victory against the Skywalker Conference on the season, the last two weeks of the season were a roller coaster. It started off with them losing the Commissioner's Cup to Euceron. Regardless of the outcome of the two squads’ final games, who ever won their week eight matchup would hold the tiebreaker over the other. But the Officers left no doubt by winning their last two matches.

Then with Stewjon’s less than exciting two point victory over Carratos, the Monarchs suddenly became Miners’ fans. A Miners’ victory over the Senators would mean a playoff berth for the Rydonni Prime. While watching their match, Dawn poured over her roster. Gemma and Elsa had returned from their suspension after the Smugglers match, but had been relegated to Reserve status. Lena Roselli, having somehow broken her hand after a “night on the town” during her suspension, was placed on the Injured Reserve for the remainder of the season.

But, after dropping their third match for the year, Gemma and Elsa were being rotated back into the lineup. She knew that meant she had to relegate Leia Vargaras and Carly Ly’Rane down to the Reserves. Dawn hadn’t been worried about how Carly would take it, as she seemed to just roll with the punches. Leia, on the other hand, was a completely different story.

Dawn recognized that she had taken lots of strides since be recalled from Byblos, even falling into a new group within offense to spend time with off the pitch. Solo feared that Leia would regress with being relegated, and even thought about sending her back to Byblos to finish out the year. But after a conversation with her former wingmate and Assistant Head Coach, Dawn realized that this would be the next step in Leia’s growth as a professional.

The young Forward need to learn how to deal with the ups and downs of playing Elite League Limmie. Players needed to figure out that the needs of the squad outweighed their own. So despite Leia’s less then happy demeanor during the match, she never once vocalized her displeasure. She quietly sat on the bench during their final match against Stewjon.

Having “won” the Solo Conference for the regular season, the Monarchs had to wait and watch the Miners take on the Metropolitans. Coach Solo gathered the team at Monarchs Stadium to view the match. At halftime, she took the opportunity to pull Leia to the side and get a feeling of the young player’s thoughts.

Leia explained that she knew that her time in the starting lineup was a blessing. It would have been a great experience for her to even get to play “garbage time”, but she played several full matches. She was gracious for Coach Solo to keep her on the team.

Their conversation continued on for the remainder of the match, by the time they rejoined the rest of the team, the Miners had successfully dispatched the Metropolitans. So Dawn’s new task was finding a way to win the Blue & Gold Bowl II to get back to the Galactic Cup.

TAG: @Trieste @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Vehn

25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential to Bakura, Euceron, Nar Shaddaa, and Rydonni Prime to make it a great day of conference finals! Best of luck to all!

Conference Finals
    (3) Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at (1) Euceron Officers (40-21)
    (2) Bakura Miners at (1) Rydonni Prime Monarchs (37-16)

133rd Galactic Cup Final
    The Pond, Theed, Naboo

(3) Nar Shaddaa Smugglers vs. (2) Bakura Miners

TAG: @jcgoble3 @SWNerd11 @Vehn

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.