main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Ezra Allin

Chapter 15 Keep Your Head in the Game

I tried to do what the Equipment Manager told me to do. After all, today he was my boss. My dad told me to mind him and I wanted to please my dad. At first, I tried not to even glance at Gil Cray. I knew I’d be distracted. I told myself to just keep my head down and make sure the cart was full of supplies. When the towels got low early I ran in the tunnel for more. On my way back to the field I noticed the crowd was unusually quiet. I glanced at the Score Board, we were down by 6, already.

I snuck a peak at the field. There was Gil Cray trying to find a hole in the Officer’s defense. He looked amazing up close and in person. So amazing that the Equipment Manager had to come get the towels out of my arms. Unfortunately, Cray didn’t find that hole. The ball was turned over. Euceron continued to slaughter my father’s team. I saw him come out of the locker room looking confident and determined with a new line up to start the second half. That didn’t make up any ground.

My father almost slammed his data pad onto the field. Something he’s done during losses before. Instead he caught me out of the corner of his eye and stopped himself. Then the unthinkable happened. We were losing by over 20 points, so this definitely did not have any difference in the outcome of the game. Still this spooked me good. As my dad was watching his team make another critical mistake his eyes lost focus. Right away I knew what was going on. I vacated my post and ran to his side. The data pad he was holding fell from his finger tips and I caught it.

“Dad,” I said rather loudly because I just wanted him to hear me. I didn’t want anyone to see what was happening. It was too late. A team trainer was now on his other side.

“Coach Allin,” he said grabbing my dad’s shoulder. My dad looked at him. He didn’t talk for a while, but the trainer and I knew he was with us now.

“How long was I out,” my dad finally asked the trainer. I realized my dad had not seen me yet. Discreetly, I passed the data pad to the trainer and went back to my duties. I figured it best my dad not know that I know he’d lost his memory again. I didn’t tell anyone what I saw. When my mom came to get me after the game I pretended like the worst part of the game was the score.

We were all grumpy on the ride home. I watched my dad’s press conference on my data pad, “We can spin this loss two ways. Either you look at it as a missed opportunity to keep pace with the Mercs and the Smugglers. A missed opportunity to get a more solid lead here in our conference. Or you can just be thankful almost everyone in our conference lost today and be happy to keep that lead spot. I’m choosing to focus on both of those,” my dad says. “We will be grateful that we didn’t lose ground today. We aren’t going to pretend this loss couldn’t hurt us later in the season. We are going to focus on our mistakes and make sure they don’t happen next week. Everyone in our locker room knows that the Smugglers are for real this season and we are going to prove the Starkillers are too.”

How does my dad do it? Make such a coherent speech after completely blacking out just an hour ago? I don’t know. I’m not feeling any better about what I saw earlier. T.J., arm still in a sling, goes directly up the stairs to his room when we get home. Cammie and I watch the Sandskimmers finally win a game. Cousin Miles, he makes some awesome tackles. I’m thankful to have something brighten a crummy day.

My dad comes home with a brand new set of Starkiller warm ups for T.J. He feels really bad that my brother will be unable to play in his Limmie game this week. He also feels bad about my brother not being able to help today. I don’t know how it goes in T.J.’s room but at least my father and brother aren’t arguing loud enough for the rest of us to hear them.

The next morning my dad gets up early and gets my brother’s favorite pastries for breakfast. Luckily there are enough for me to have one too. I open a brand new jar of nut butter. Opening a new jar of nut butter is one of my favorite things. I like seeing the smooth surface, before it gets all marred up by knives. Even though I know it will ruin that perfect surface I thrust my knife into the surface and scoop out a healthy serving to put on my pastry. Just like I threw off my covers and got out of bed this morning. The nut butter and my day would stay smooth and perfect it I never experienced them. If I didn’t mar them up. I’d also miss out on all the good parts and I don’t want to take the chance of missing something good.

T.J. also accepts the pastries. My dad tells my brother he’ll be speaking to his coach about light strength training and other exercises he can do this week to stay in playing shape while his arm heals. Again, no sign that my dad may have lost his memory during the game yesterday. Did I imagine the whole thing? Of course not. The episode is at the forefront of my mind all day. What if my dad doesn’t come back from one of these episodes? Should I tell him my secret before that happens?

When I get home from school no one’s around. My dad stopped off at T.J.’s practice and they come back with one of the Starkillers trainer’s in tow. He assesses my brother’s arm right in our living room. I think that I’m going to be totally overlooked so I go up to my room so I can concentrate on my homework.

Surprisingly, there is a knock on my door later that evening. “I haven’t forgotten about you,” my dad says as he enters my room. “How was your day yesterday? Did you like helping out? The equipment manager said you did great.”

“It was okay,” I admit. “Would have been more fun if we won.”

“Yea, well that was my fault. Wanna try again, final game of the season? Miners are in town,” my dad offers.

“Sure,” I say as enthusiastically as I can.

“I had my eye on you yesterday,” my dad says surprising me again. “I thought you’d watch Cliff more,” my dad continues. “You were watching Cray. Does the attention your brother’s getting make you want to play forward now too?” He asks.

For someone who blacked out he sure was observant during the rest of the game. “I still want to be a keeper,” I say quickly. “I was watching Cray because he’s hard to block and I want to know how to block offensive players like him.” Sometimes being smart is a blessing.

My dad totally buys it, “Good thinking.” He says. “How many games does your team have left this season? I want to go to at least one more.”

“Depends how we finish the season,” I explain. “Playoffs start next week after you get back from Nar Shaddaa. Our rank will dictate when the games will be played.”

“Put them on my schedule. I want to see you play,” my dad says as he pats my knee.

“I will,” I tell him and I am excited he wants to come. This is why I can’t just break the news that I’m gay. My dad is proud of me for being like him. For being a Limmie player and I don’t want to ruin that. He never asks me about my school grades. He doesn’t understand my classes and he’d understand that I like guys even less.

My week gets more stressful after Limmie practice on Tuesday when I come home and find Lupé curled up under my bed refusing to come out. It’s several minutes before I realize why she’s refusing. She’s in heat. I make several calls until I find an adult that can fly me and Lupé to the vet. Grandma Jenny is our pilot. She’s very kind about the whole thing. Lupé was incredibly hard to get into her travel carrier and meowed loudly the entire trip. It was so hard to leave her at the vet for the night. I felt alone and scared for her as I tried to sleep.

Wednesday I had Geoff fly me straight to the vet’s after school. Lupé was drowsy, but ready to come home. I made her, her favorite meal that night and she barely touched it. Thursday morning she was eating and I felt a lot better knowing that before I left for school.

Friday we all go to my brother’s game. He’s not playing, but my dad says it’s important we support his teammates. I’m 11, I just do what I’m told. Some loudmouth mother from the opposing team calls my dad a “Lousy Coach.”

“That’s Lousy Coach of the Year,” my dad says loud enough for just me to hear. We share a laugh. My dad cheers on T.J.’s team just as loudly and obnoxiously as he does when T.J. is playing. After the game he lets T.J. hang out with his friends. Saturday we get up early and fly my father to the spaceport. I give my dad an extra long hug before he gets on the shuttle. “I’ll be home before you know it,” he promises me.

My dad will get home Monday. Hopefully before I go to bed. I’m worried about him losing his memory while he’s gone. I know he’s got the best trainers and even a doctor with him. The brain isn’t predictable though, his mind could quit for good at any time. I’ve never been more aware. As soon as I get home I pick out my keeper outfit for my game later that afternoon. This outfit has to be extra special. After this game I promise myself I’ll talk to Uncle Richard about how he broke the news to his family he was gay. If I’m brave enough to talk to Uncle Richard I can’t back out of telling my dad. So I’m extra nervous. Will I be brave enough to tell Uncle Richard?

Chapter 16 No Turning Back

I don’t know how it happens. I’m so nervous about my promise to myself I’m practically sick. Some how, some way, I make a stop that brings everyone on the sidelines to their feet just minutes into our game. With my new found confidence I hold the other team to only 2 points. We crush the other team and finish first in the standings going into the play-offs. My dad is proud. T.J. has already sent him some holos and my dad personally calls to congratulate me from the shuttle as I walk off the field.

You’d think that this would make it easier to talk to my Uncle. Somehow I’m even more nervous. I don’t want to mess up how proud my dad is. I spend an hour procrastinating, rehearsing in my head what I’ll say when I call my uncle. This is not like me. I’m not afraid of anything. Just before dinner I grab my data pad firmly and dial my Uncle’s private line.

As usual he answers right away. “You’re father’s not in jail again?” He asks.

I think he’s joking, but who knows. “My dad’s still on the way to Nar Shaddaa,” I remind my Uncle.

“What’s wrong Rah Rah,” my uncle asks.

“Nothing’s wrong,” I say.

“Then why did you call. You don’t need credits do you?” He laughs.

Again, I don’t get grown-ups. Why would it be funny if I needed credits? I guess my Uncle can tell I’m uncomfortable. “I’m sorry Rah Rah. You called to tell me something. Tell me why you called.”

I’m quiet for a long time. My Uncle doesn’t push me though. He sits back in his chair and just waits for me to be ready. Uncle Richard is really patient. I think that’s what makes him a good lawyer. “Uncle Richard,” I finally say. “I’m gay.” I hope I got it out right. Was I supposed to say homosexual. I hate that word, it sounds worse. I don’t know why, it just does.

My Uncle doesn’t look surprised. He doesn’t answer right away either. He doesn’t show any emotion. “How long have you known?”

“I’ve suspected it for a while, I guess. I’ve only known a few weeks,” I admit.

“I’m real proud of you for understanding that you can’t keep this secret. Have you told anyone else?” My uncle asks.

“I want to,” I tell him. Hoping he’ll understand that I’m afraid.

“Did you want me to come over? Would it help if I’m there when you tell your mom?”

I never even thought about telling my mom. She’ll probably just brush it off, or say she suspected all along. I’m not worried about her reaction. “My mom will understand,” I fill in.

“You know who knew my secret before any of my immediate family members?” Uncle Richard asks.

It’s a really random question. I have no idea what the answer is. I shake my head. I think it must be a friend of Uncle Richards. I never would have guessed which friend.

“I bet you’ll be surprised to hear this. Your father knew I was gay, even before your mother knew.”

“And he was okay with that?” I have so many other questions. That’s just the one that pops out of my mouth first.

“He had to be, I was his lawyer,” my Uncle says. “He came by my old house for counseling once and he spotted all Ryan’s stuff. I couldn’t hide it from your father. He was surprised I was hiding it. I told him my father couldn’t know. Your father respected that. I think he’d be disappointed to learn someday that you’re hiding a secret like this.”

“So you think I should tell him?” I say.

“I know you should. So do you,” my Uncle has a way of reading minds. “That’s why you called right?”

“How did you finally tell your family you were gay?” I ask.

“I never told my father. I thought someday the opportunity would arise. Then he got shot.”

I’m frozen with fear. I wonder if I should end this call and call my own father right now. Would that ruin his chances against Nar Shaddaa? Surely it would be selfish if I break the news now. “Rah Rah?” My Uncle interrupts my thoughts. “You still with me.”

“Yea,” I answer.

“You okay? I know I just laid some heavy news on you. Your dad is due back here Monday evening. I can talk to your mom. We can meet him at the spaceport together,” my uncle offers.

“Can I think about it?” If me and Uncle Richard show up my dad will know something is up. Maybe it will be a good thing. If my Uncle is there I can’t not go through with telling my dad. On the other hand maybe this is something I should be doing on my own. Either way Uncle Richard knows now. He won't allow me to keep this from my dad or the rest of my family for long. I feel nauseous. Why can’t I just be normal? So I don’t have this problem.

Tags: @jcgoble3 @Vehn

Trieste, Jedi Gunny and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Kerry Trieste finishes media blitz on Kimmie Jimmel Live!
    • Trieste: "I actually have to thank the HSN voters"
      • Jimmel: "You do?"
      • Trieste: "Yeah, with both Tiarest and UBSD hanging out just outside the playoff picture, it makes those teams' traditional end-of-season rivalry game all the more important. I think that whoever wins is going to get boosted into the playoff picture"
    • Jimmel: "I realize you've been on this big tour trying to get the HSN rankings folks to take the Bak10 seriously--and by the way, thanks for showing how much you respect what we do here by coming to us after literally every other late night show on the holonet"
      • Trieste: "Given that Tiarest is currently last out of the playoffs, you should consider it a sign of respect"
      • Jimmel: "Well played, madam. But seriously--I think that just talking about this isn't getting through to them. I think that you need to do something more"
      • Trieste: "If it gets a Bak10 team into the playoffs, I'm in"
      • Jimmel: "I was hoping you'd say that. Would you mind stepping backstage during the commercial break?"
    • After the commercial break, Jimmel reveals that if a Bak10 team makes it into the playoff bracket...
    • ..."the HSN rankings team will receive a jet ski!"
    • Kerry Trieste models the jet ski during the broadcast
    • Jimmel: "You think we're kidding? Well if two Bak10 teams make it into the playoffs, Kimmie Jimmel Live! will also send them all to..."
    • "...beautiful Kibo Lake on Ord Cestus! A scenic, 50-kilometer-wide lake in a volcanic crater that keeps you guessing: is it still an active volcano? Enjoy all sorts of fun activities at the nearby Cestus Penitentiary! Kibo Lake--where the Outer Rim goes to really get away from it all. Seriously--it's not on any major trade routes!"
    • Trieste: "If this is a bribe, just remember, Republican Department of Justice--Kimmie's the one offering it, not the Bak10!"
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik

jcgoble3, Bardan_Jusik and Runjedirun like this.
  3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Going with an All-LFL post here to see how that goes.

IC: Pamila Korthe – Head Coach of the Thyferra Force

Thyferra

It was another humid Thyferra home game, the heat prickly on the backs and necks of all the players and coaches. Pamila had come to expect this sort of climate every time out – sometimes it surprised her by raining or actually being somewhat cold, but it was typically humid. The Zeltron had been all over the galaxy at the helm of the Force, the Senator’s LFL affiliate, and had experienced quite a few less-than-stellar climates in the process. Thyferra was humid, Tatooine too hot and dry, Concordia cold and snow-filled . . . the list went on. It sometimes made her miss her stint in the Elite League.

But there was something that kept her coaching at the LFL level. Perhaps it was the winning, with several LFL titles to her name including the 289 championship. Or maybe it was the fans, who revered her for bringing Thyferra Limmie back to relevance after a long slump in the Premier League during the 250s and 260s. Hired by Gark S’rily to take the helm for the 270 season, the Zeltron had taken the Force to new heights. Though Keli Sen had won two titles with the Force during Pamila’s absence, it had been the Zeltron whom had received most of the credit for the turnaround.

Many of the players on the current roster had been with Thyferra in prior seasons, the LFL a hard league to figure out in regards to sending players to the Elite League. In bad Senator seasons, the Force’s roster had been pillaged quite heavily for new prospects to give Elite League playing time to. After Dirxx Horstse had taken over, however, he had put a stop on midseason call-ups unless the roster really needed reserves. His philosophy was to allow the young Senator players to work through adversity and have to plug roster holes when they arose, which kept team continuity and meant additional playing time for players filling in for injured teammates. It also made Pamila’s job easier, given that she could focus more on player development and not have to worry about losing her best players midseason.

And her team was full of promising talent. First-round pick Greco Trachia had shown flashes of brilliance throughout the first five games, demonstrating that he could easily play in the Elite League in 292. New goalie Ali Millson had lost out on the backup goaltender spot for the Senators, but had shined for the Force including a shutout of Tatooine the week prior. Leopard Jackson was burning a hole in opposing defenses as the main scoring option on the offense, and third-round pick Drax Deztroi was having a fine season at full back. Depth was a concern for the Force, who only dressed six reserves, but it allowed the young players on the roster to earn more playing time and have more game reps. That in itself was valuable.

The Force finished off Druckenwell 24-12 behind a strong outing from Jackson and corner forward Virlub, who both scored two goals to lead the attack. Millson had a strong follow-up outing after her shutout, and the defense kept Druckenwell down for the most part. It was an encouraging showing before a first-place battle the next week.

While some might have considered it a dead-end job, coaching the Force wasn’t a problem at all for the Zeltron. Her family was close at her side, and the team was developing over time to stay at its peak. Her job was secure for quite some time, and she liked being able to do her job and see the results on the field.

Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  4. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown on location from Salis D'aar, did I pronounce that right? Bakura on a cloudy and cool Victory afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker and Kitterich back home in the studio and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Mercs pick up a tough win on the road to keep pace with the Strugglers and Don't call them the Storm."

"Yeah still anyone's race there in the Skywalker..."

"Even the Pirates."

"...with just three weeks to.. Yeah, even them, though I hate those guys."

"The feeling is mutual I'm sure."

"So the Mercs...hey!"

"Wondered if you caught that."

"Yeah, took me a second, but anyway, Mercs win 32 to 25 in a high scoring affair on Bakura against the Miners..."

"What a win!

"But it was how they won that has everyone talking this week."

"I have never in all my years watching, playing or reporting on limmie seen a goal scored like that. Ever. At any level of limmie from schoolyard through college or at any level or the pros."

"Justin is of course talking about the goal that Rocket scored while sitting on top of the shoulders..."

"It was his head."

"...of Horst..OK fine his head, even better, from atop the head of Miners defensive back Horst Penn, that really had to be seen to be believed."

"Words don't do it justice."

"He was on his head. I mean nothing more to can be said."

"Sure there is."

"Such as?"

"Well the reasoning for him being on his head?"

"You mean how he was up there swinging away at his face?"

"I'm still not sure how that wasn't called a foul right there."

"Because listen, for as good a player as he is, I think everyone, especially the officials, have wanted to take a swing at Penn for something."

"I know I'd like to take a swing at him."

"Did we ever get an answer as to why he was up there to begin with?"

"Rocket was asked post game, but I couldn't understand it through the ranting and the raving..."

"And the swearing."

"Did Horst have anything to say?"

"He thought it was fun."

"Oh of course he did."

"He would have a much better time with me on his..."

"OK, let's go to commercial."

TAG: @Trieste who came up with all of this and will fill in the details much better than i ever could. :p

Runjedirun, jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  5. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Last week of the regular season in college limmie and last chance to impress the pollsters, so let's jump right in."

"KMI wrecked their chances at a playoff berth..."

"That was a real outside shot anyway."

"...following a 22-13 loss at Verp Tech."

"Meanwhile in a match up of two schools hanging on the edge, number 20 UBSD defeated number 17 Tiarest 18-13 to take the Bak10 crown..."

"Well that knocks Tiarest out of the conversation."

"Now the Golden Bears wait and see if that's enough..."

"No way, no where near enough. Best case they move up to 17, but not past where Tiarest was."

"Think Tiarest would have moved up a spot if they had won?"

"Doubt it, but now we'll never know."

"While the GCAA awaits Championship week next weekend where the Crendan champs GVSU will take on Kayl'hen champion Duros State for the S-16 championship."

"Both those teams should make the playoff anyway, but whoever wins gets the better seed."

"And the Big 20 Rimward champions University of Wroona will face the Coreward champion U of Thyferra."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

HSN Top 25 after Week Seven

1. University of Tatooine, Anchorhead
    2. Norand University, Carratos
    3. Royal College of Hapes
    4. Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa
    5. University of Shili
    6. Druckenwell Technical University
    7. Grand Vulptur System University
    8. Duro State University
    9. Enarc Technical University
    10. University of Thyferra
    11. Ryloth Ag and Tech University
    12. University of Csilla
    13. Taanab A&M University
    14. University of Wroona
    15. Cambrielle College, Ralltiir
    16. Sarvchi Technological University
    17. UB Salis D'aar
    18. University of Ool
    19. Republican University
    20. University of Mon Calamari
    21. University of Apiaree
    22. Tiarest University
    23. University of Devaron
    24. Celwis System University
    25. University of Kashyyyk

Runjedirun, jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  6. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Logan Manx-Sandin
    Arcadia Colosseum, O'Pahz, Carratos

"Tighten up, Tighten up." Boutros yells at the defenders running drills. Like I expected the defensive coordinator laid into the defenders. A lot slipped by them in the slim victory against the Starkillers, they were going to have to be better and Boutros is intent of fixing that. She'd created a second ranked defense for two years now she didn't want to let that go. With the performance last game there is a lot of work to do. I cast a glance over to Mikia eyes up watching for the pass trying to intercept. She's keeping step with her mark, Crash.

The young Half Forward has played before but, is still caught in the shadow of L.E.S. The old salt line, the last remaining players from the original team, from 278. The news came in this morning, Qazi can't play, ever. The injury to his shoulder is just the tip of an iceberg I didn't even notice. Playing that long without stopping takes it toll. His joints are pretty worn, his muscles torn and pained. The medical staff advised strongly against him stepping on the field, ever. His chance for injury is too great. Schnitt made the call. Qazi will stay on the payroll until the end of this year, then he will be released from his contract.

With that, the only remaining players from our first year still on the field are Leigh, Else and Seiji. It's hard to believe that it was over a decade ago that we were elevated to the heights of the ELL. We had a terrible year that year, I can remember feeling like a failure, like we were going back into the shadows, back to the backwater league were we would never be noticed again. Not that, that specific fear is gone from my mind. With demotions possible particularly for low performing teams. We still have a devoted fanbase but, so did many other teams, that still lost their place in the league.

These thoughts continue to swirl in my mind as I watch the offense run passing drills. They had saved us in the last game putting in goal after goal to keep us in it. I feel a little vindication seeing my team racking up points. Being a former forward I've always felt good having an explosive offense. I means I still know what I'm doing on that side of the ball. As I've always contended, I'm a better offensive coordinator than head coach but, previous years have thrown some doubt on that assessment. I know one high scoring game doesn't mean much in the arc of a season but, dang it, it still feels good.

Another long day of practice, particularly for the defense comes to a close and I send everyone home. Mikia lingers for a bit but, she's too worn out from the days activities. She heads out soon after her feet nearly dragging on the ground as she exits. I remain looking over recordings from the Patriot's games learning what makes them tic, or at least things I use to out play them. They were a worse team than us, surprisingly. Though maybe it is just the recent failures and troubles we've had coulding my opinion of our standing. It has not been the best year.

Stoney End Park, Hana City, Chandrila

I rub my hands together blowing warm breath into them to fight off the cold. At least it isn't snowing in Stoney End Park, so there is some good news about the weather. I bundle up a little tighter in my jacket and look over to my defensive coordinator. The megenta skinned former back stalked up and down the sidelines, jaw clenched. She has put a lot of work into her players, she expects excellence. I lock eyes with her before the whistle sounds, there is an intensity that I've only seen a few times. When I've seen it, I knew there was going to be a tough fight.

I'm mainly worried about the cold affecting the offense, slowing them down. In my tinkering I've found that we do best when we can run. When we are given space to run, to use our speed to get ahead of them, we can win. The cold slow things down, makes players sluggish. That's going to be a detriment to us. Limmie is a spring/summer sport for Carratos, we're used to playing in heat and humidity, not cold and biting wind. I see the player's breaths as they lower down and dig in, readying for the game that was about to start.

The ref blows the whistle and I look to the center, to Cutty, the spearhead of our offense. She needs to get the tip off, needs to get the first possession, to set the tone. She explodes upward hand reaching into the sky. In that moment I hold my breath, we need this, we need to win this first battle. She gets a hand on the ball and pulls it down. I let out the breath I was holding in a puff of steam. Cutty's bronze colored cleats touch the pitch and become a blur as she turns up the field.

Our star forward dodges one tackle then another, she looks almost unstoppable as she rushes up the field. The cold not sapping any of her speed or agility. The defense starts to collapse around her, cutting off many of her passing and rushing lanes. Serica calls out waving her hand. Seeing that she couldn't move forward or escape Cutty tosses the ball in a high arc just getting over a on rushing defense. The younger corner forward runs to get under the pass picking it up and moving towards the goal with miles of space. It is just her and goalkeeper.

The goalie lines up like it is penalty shot, like them and Serica are the only people on the field. Unfortunately for the Pats, they weren't. With a fake she got the goalie to scramble and made a long cross pass to Tian already ahead of her mark. The net is wide open and Tian doesn't miss it. She hammers the ball into the back of the goal. The horn sounds and we leap out to an early lead. A smirk starts to bloom on my face. This is the start that I want, the one we need, to set the tempo as fast as we can.

It is a breakneck pace we set, the offense tearing up the frozen field. On the other side the defense stepped up. Breaking up the play and making the hard hits that need to be made. While they are doing well, Boutros didn't seem pleased, at least not in this moment. Her fire filled gaze passes over the defensive half of the field I hear a slightly displeased hum come from her throat. No matter how good you are doing there is always room for improvement, and Boutros has a discerning eye for mistakes. Like Mighty Mo being just slightly out of place for the Pat's next charge.

She howls at them as the goal horn sounds and the home crowd cheers. Even the simplest of mistakes can cost and it seems the zeltron coordinator is driving that point home. She calls at them to shape up to do better to not cost us another game. That they can't keep relying on the offense to save them from their blunders. They have to play better if they want to make it into the playoffs. I smile watching her roar turning the passion she once had on the field into passion from the sidelines. We might not be the best coaches but, we do have passion.

And that passion is enough to get us to the finish line, with a another win under us. The defense pulled through, keeping the home team far behind us as the offense drives us forward to a double digit point differential. Not enough to bring us up to positive for the season but, a good start...if we can keep it going. With two wins in a row that is a huge morale boost, just in time to go back home and face the Miners for a Jar of Dirt. It is a silly trophy, but, the fact that it is something to fight over makes it worth something to us.

The ride back is loud and full of energy even with Boutros reminding the defense that they weren't let off the hook for their poor plays.

That is a tomorrow issue. Today we party.

TAG: @Trieste

Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Bess
    Bakura Gardens, Salis D’aar, Bakura

“Okay, who chose this song?” Jo Pawvelski groaned as they got ready to hit the field.

“It’s a joke, right? Because of Mandalorians and their flamethrowers, right?” Kelly Vurgess guessed.

“Those flamethrowers ain’t no joke,” Kyr Irvin said.

Bess knew only one being could have chosen this song from his collection of treasured music.

“Isn’t this song great?!” Horst Penn gushed. “It’s the perfect song for the Coalition Memorial Game! Because we love each other!”

“No, only you have a crush on a member of the Mercs,” Marnie Blake sighed, rubbing her temples. Bess could see the goalkeeper was already worrying that this was going to be “one of those games.” A game where Horst spent not enough time playing defense.

“Actually, I don’t think it’s quite on the nose enough,” Harle observed. “I mean, we really ought to spell it out to folks. You know, like playing Sympathy for the Devil when a character shows up in a movie to tell the audience they’re not a good being. Of course, any movie that would be that blatant is probably a walking disaster that no self-respecting actor would find themselves in.”

“Harle, where did you hear something that crazy?” Angel Sorrano asked.

“I think Liz said something about that on The Fandalorian. She’s the only one worth listening to on that show, ya know.”

“That’s the signal! Let’s go! Go Bess! Go!” Horst shouted with excitement.

Bess ran/waddled onto the field, flapping her arms as she led the team onto the field. Everyone, young and old, was excited for the Coalition Memorial Game today. It was going to be a test of the Miners’ ability to compete this season as the Mercs were one of the Skywalker Conference leaders. Indeed, it was a tight game with lots of scoring--a classic Miners/Mercs tilt. However, an early incident gave Bess a pretty good idea for how the game was going to go.

“Oh my gosh!” Horst shouted in a voice so high he could have been mistaken for a female by a blind being. He was jumping up and down pointing. “It’s a raccoon!”

“I ain’t no raccoon!” Rocket Brier protested. “I’m an Amaran! Originally from the planet Amar, thank you very much.” Brier crossed his arms indignantly and stuck his nose in the air.

“You are soooooooooooooo cute,” Horst said, bending down to get closer to Brier’s eye level.

“You better watch it bub!” Rocket said, sticking a finger in Horst’s face. “Just because you’re some freak genetic experiment that’s three meters tall doesn’t mean I won’t sock you one right in the kisser!”

LouEl! LouEl! Are you seeing this?!?! It’s a raccoon! I’m gonna keep him!” Horst shouted.

“Nobody keeps me!” Rocket said. Bess thought she might be able to see steam coming out of his ears. “There ain’t a cell in the galaxy that can pen me in!”

“He’s even got his own little tiny jersey!” Horst continued, oblivious to Rocket’s displeasure.

“Okay that’s it!!!!!” Rocket yelled as the boloball came into play at midfield to start the game.

Without further warning, Rocket jumped onto Horst, climbing up his jersey until he was on top of Horst’s head, from whence he began to pummel Horst’s face with his fists.

“Call me cute, will ya? And tiny!” Each word was punctuated by a fist in Horst’s face delivered from above. “I’ll show you cute! And tiny! And every other word in the Force-forsaken book!”

“Guys! I’m wearing him like a hat!” Horst said, pointing to the furry being on top of his head. “Fu! Are you seeing this?”

“I AM NOT A HAT!”

“I have a raccoon hat! A kind of...ow….painful raccoon...ow...hat!” Horst said, his happiness chipping away under Rocket’s assault.

“Rocket! Stop playing with the human!” Fu shouted.

The Amaran looked up to see the star Merc passing him the ball. Rocket caught it with both hands while standing on Horst’s head and put it in the back of the net.

“How’s that for cute, you big idiot!” Rocket laughed as he hopped off Horst’s head and back into the play.

Horst touched the top of his head. “That’s weird. I didn’t think I headered the ball into the net...but I guess I did. Sorry Marnie!”

“Head in the game!” the goalkeeper yelled at Horst. Then she realized what she’d just said and slapped her forehead. “I hate puns! For the love of--!”

Bess didn’t hear more than that as her last word was drowned out by the impact of Blake’s foot against the boloball, which she sent back down the field. It was definitely going to be one of those games--and it was. By the time it was all said and done, even Bess had to wonder if the Miners were going to make the playoffs this year. It had been quite a while since the last three weeks of the season were this important to the Miners.

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik (who wholeheartedly approved everything in the Horst-Rocket-Fu exchange)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Bardan_Jusik, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, and Ralltiir.

291 Week 7 Results
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (24-14)
    Euceron Officers at Stewjon Metropolitans (20-2)
    Bakura Miners at Carratos Pirates (27-1)
    Coruscant Senators at Mando’ade Mercs (11-20)
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Chandrila Patriots (24-9)

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  9. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Atzerri (28), Tatooine (33) Concordia (28) and Thyferra (38) * Thyferra still has 5 bonus points in the bank

LFL Week Five Results
    Concordia Crusaders @ Druckenwell Marksmen (28-2)
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Atzerri Bandits (13-10)
    Thyferra Force @ Cantonica Golden Knights (29-21)

Tags @Bardan_Jusik @Vehn @galactic-vagabond422 @Jedi Gunny @SWNerd11

10. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Chapter 17 Family Secrets

For a while I don’t think my mother is going to bother to get out of bed to watch the Starkillers game on Sunday. When she does make her way downstairs mindlessly presses the start button on the caf machine and sits in a chair without even saying, good morning.

Am I supposed to ask her if everything is alright? I decide to let her drink her caf first. I don’t feel like socializing much anyway. By tomorrow night my whole identity could be revealed and even though I never thought about it before. Maybe she will treat me different. My brother runs up the steps. “You’re up,” he says cheerfully to my mom. She just looks at him. “Can I go over to Tim’s to watch the game?”

“Sure,” my mom says. Her tone says she doesn’t care. I suspect that’s perfect for T.J.

“Great, see ya.” My brother runs downstairs, slips on his shoes and practically races out the front door. That leaves me, my mother and Cammie to watch the game here. I’m not in the mood to be social so it suits me just fine.

My mom makes a bowl of fruit and opens a bag of wafers. I sense that she’s not in the mood to cook so I make my way to the pantry and try to decide what I want. Eventually I decide on some cereal. I offer to make my sister a bowl as well. She accepts and we turn on the smaller holo in the kitchen so we can eat at the table.

Something is eating my mom. I don’t know what it is. Her show? Did she have a fight with dad? I decide she’s not mad at dad when she shows great interest in the Starkillers opening drive and is disappointed that Olidiipo isn’t able to find the open net. I’ve never seen her route against my father, but she doesn’t exactly route for him when she’s really upset with him.

The game remains scoreless for several drives. I can see my dad pump his fist as Wiskey makes a diving catch to intercept a Smugglers pass. Clean defense, less hitting, player safety. That’s real important to this franchise. Most beings think that would lead to disaster against hard hitters like the Smugglers. Our defensive numbers this season would lead most beings to conclude it’s not working. It worked on that play. It’s all that matters right now.

The turnover leads to Olidiipo getting another shot on goal and this time he does find the net. My Uncle Tomas is the next player to put points on the board. I can feel my mom’s mood brightening as the Starkillers extend their lead. Perhaps she was just worried we’d lose again. The Smugglers never let us breath easily. The game is often just one score on their side away from our lead being no more. It isn’t until the final 10 minutes that the Starkillers start to pull away. It feels like our team just has more energy. The Starkillers score 7 points in the final 6 minutes.

This season has been extremely tight and even with the win there’s no guarantee of a play-off spot. Next week’s game against the Monarchs is going to be very critical. I flip over to the Sandskimmers game, but my mom has other ideas. She wants to go shopping. I’m glad my mom wants to get out of the house. While we are out my sister buys even more earrings. I wonder if my parents would consider letting me get my ears pierced. Under 18 needs parental consent to get any body part pierced. I won’t ask today though. That would be a dead give-away to my mom that I’m not what she might think I am. I want to tell my father first.

We get back home in just enough time to see the Sandskimmers score a last minute goal to beat Atzerri. We celebrate until we realize that my dad’s cousin was injured earlier in the game. High ankle sprain. He could be out for two weeks. The rest of the regular season. It doesn’t ruin our good day. My mom whips up a light dinner since she doesn’t have a performance and I do a little reading before bed.

Monday is a holiday. Not a real holiday. Not one when we exchange presents or make a big meal. Just a day to honor troops. I know, I should appreciate those who serve to allow me to have this lavish lifestyle and I do. I just don’t celebrate it like a holiday. I sometimes go shopping, the sales are good. Today though I’m in the backyard letting T.J. pound me with shots at the make shift goal we’ve built. His sling is no longer necessary. He’s cleared for everything but tackling and even that will come later this week.

We practice Limmie all morning, after that Uncle Richard comes to pick up me, my sister and my brother. He’s agreed to take us kids for the afternoon while my mom gets ready for her performance tonight. Uncle Richard will also take us all to the spaceport to greet my dad when his flight gets in. My Uncle Richard lives in the house where he and my mother grew up. It’s a mansion complete with a swimming pool. The afternoon is spent relaxing with my cousins and my Uncles do make us a pretty good dinner.

We leave thirty minutes later than originally planned because a weather system has delayed the Starkillers shuttle. When we arrive we learn there’s another thirty minute delay. I look around at the other families and friends of the players. Some of us are pacing around the waiting area, others are in chairs with their faces in their data pads. I’m pacing and periodically checking my data pad for flight time updates or anything to occupy my mind. When the flight is just a few minutes out my Uncle approaches me with a plan, thank goodness. “Do you want to tell your dad here? I mean do you want me with you? I can pull us aside without being obvious. There will be plenty of equipment for your siblings and cousins to help carry. Or I can just pull your dad aside and let him know you have something to tell him when you get home. Which works for you?”

How about none? What if I change my mind? “Distract the others,” I say. “But I want to tell my dad by myself.”

My Uncle nods in approval. It’s late and I’m tired. I watch my sister and my brother hug my dad. I see my Uncle instruct them to go help carry equipment. Slowly I stride over to my father. “Rah Rah,” he says. “I can see you didn’t sneak any caffeine today.”

Obviously, he’s referring to my slowness in my approach. “Dad, there’s something I want to tell you.”

“It’s not like you to be in trouble,” my dad moves his travel bag from his shoulder to the floor. “You don’t want to quit Limmie? Do you?”

Why would I want to quit Limmie? My team is headed into the play-offs as a top seed. “Dad, it’s nothing bad. It’s just something you should know.”

“What is it, Rah Rah?”

It takes me a while to get it out. I see my brother look at us suspiciously and I nearly back out. Before I can I say, “I’m gay.”

My father puts his hand on my shoulder. Then after a few seconds he pulls me in and hugs me. “Who else knows?” He asks.

“Just Uncle Richard,” I say.

“When are we going to tell your mom?”

“Tomorrow, I guess.”

“This changes nothing,” my dad says. “Why don’t you go help your cousins and brother with all that equipment?”

So that’s what I do. I go help carry equipment from the shuttle to the service speeder. It doesn’t take long. Soon we pile into Uncle Richard’s extended speeder and head for home. When we get there all of us are tired so we go to bed. I hold Lupé for a while before I drift off.

I feel different in the morning. I go down to breakfast and it’s just like any other morning. Dad has his head stuck in his data pad watching game footage. Dad flies us to school. When we get to my school Cammie jumps out and runs inside. I see Geoff waiting for me. Dad and I look at each other. I don’t think either of us knows what to say. Finally, my dad says, “Dinner will be early tonight. Your mom has work.”

“See you then,” I reply and hop out of the speeder.

At dinner dad keeps making eyes at me. T.J. says, “Why are you making faces Dad?”

“I’m not making faces,” my dad replies.

“You are. You’re making faces at Rah Rah and you talked to him at the spaceport last night.”

Before this goes any further. Before my brother says it for me, because I think he suspects or knows. “I’m gay, okay. I was telling dad I’m gay.” I say this rather loudly and maybe a little bit of anger is in my voice.

“Like Beau and Uncle Richard?” My little sister asks.

“Yea,” I say as I stab my vegetables with my fork.

“So?” Cammie asks.

“So, your brother wanted to share with us that he might marry a guy someday instead of a girl,” my mom fills in.

“What’s so great about that?” Cammie has lots of questions.

“It’s great because he’s sharing,” my mom explains. Just like I suspected she has my back.

I don’t talk to my brother that night and he doesn’t say anything at dinner. Wednesday my team has final practice before our first play-off game on Thursday night. My dad is able to sneak away and watch the end of practice. We get back to the house before anyone else. He and I go down to the basement to the weight room where he’s lifting and I’m just reading over my homework assignments trying to figure out what to work on first.

That’s when we hear T.J. come in. He’s upstairs making himself a snack when my dad puts his weights down and looks my way. He puts his finger over his lips. I get it right away. My dad wants to sneak up on T.J. and prank him. Or simply scare him. It’ll be funny to see my brother jump out of his skin, so I nod silently.

My dad is tiptoeing towards the weight room door when T.J. comes down to the basement and beelines for the washing machine. My dad looks at me, “He does his own laundry?” There’s nothing I can say. My dad is suspicious and rightfully so. He doesn’t worry about being sneaky anymore, “Since when do you do laundry?” My dad asks and my brother does jump out of his skin a little. It’s just not funny like I was hoping for it to be.

“Just helping mom out,” T.J. lies.

“What you got lipstick on your collar?” My dad says pulling my brother’s practice shirt back out of the washing machine. He looks at the jersey and then he smells it. “Ugh,” my dad reacts. “Have you been smoking?”

My dad is digging through my brother’s bag now and he finds it, the electronic smoking stick. “What the hell is this?” He asks. His voice is not raised, but the anger is undeniable.

I duck back in the weight room before my brother can know I am a witness to this. I don’t hear him reply. My dad just tells my brother to go to his room, so he can cool off before he does anything rash. I hear my brother’s footsteps run up the stairs. I peek out and see my dad just staring at the smoking stick in his hands.

Not long after that I’ve moved my studies up to my room. I watch from my bedroom window as my dad and brother show up in the back yard. My dad makes my brother smoke the stick, it’s like that saying you can’t take your eyes off a speeder wreck. What’s about to happen in my back yard is a speeder wreck and I watch the whole thing. I watch my brother smoke a bit, I watch him try to do jumping jacks and burpee’s as he coughs from having the chemicals in his lungs. I watch until my brother throws-up. My dad just stands there with his arms crossed and I assume he tells T.J. to take another puff, cause that’s what my brother does. He puffs and does about two push-ups before he barfs again.

My dad gives my brother a push. Not a hard push, it doesn’t take much. T.J. rolls over and falls into his own vomit. My dad says something I can’t hear from up here in my room and heads in the house. Hopefully that will be the last time my brother puffs a death stick.

I’ll admit it. I am a little scared of my father the next morning. He looked like a different person out there yesterday evening barking orders at my brother. Seeing my brother throw-up and my father ultimately leaving him in a pool of his own vomit. It’s not like my father has never flown off the handle before. It’s not like I’ve never been on the receiving end of one of his punishments. It’s just that this one is fresh in my mind now. I remind myself I’ve done nothing wrong as I head down for breakfast.

My dad is excited to see me and he’s excited about my game this evening. I almost forgot I had a game. I flip out a little, because I haven’t even picked out an outfit yet. My brother comes downstairs at the very last minute. He doesn’t talk to anyone, he just grabs a granola bar and gets in the speeder. The ride to school is quiet until we get to T.J.’s drop off. “Remember you smoke any device, ever again and you’re off the team. Don’t roll your eyes at me,” my dad says when T.J. starts getting out of the speeder.

“I heard you, okay.” T.J. hops out and swiftly makes his way towards the school.

As we head up the street my dad starts lecturing, “You know vaping kills you, right Rah Rah?”

“Yes,” I sigh.

“I’m just trying to save your life,” my dad sighs back. I laugh because he put as little care into his words as possible. “Some stupid responsibility I have as a parent. Don’t smoke,” my dad starts singing. “Drugs make you go broke.”

“Dad smoking is gross,” Cammie interrupts.

My dad laughs. “You’re right,” he says.

He gives my sister a big wet kiss as she tries to get out of the speeder at our school. “I’ll see you at the game tonight,” my father says as I get out.

“See ya,” I holler back.

Geoff takes me from school back to my house to get ready for the game. I take entirely too long deciding what to wear. I know because Geoff comes to make sure I’m okay, twice. Finally, I settle on navy blue shorts, navy blue socks and a white and navy blue striped shirt. My team’s colors are navy blue and neon green. This way I fit in, but I don’t match. The keeper isn’t supposed to match.

When I get to my game my father is already there. He asks me if I’m ready. I say I am. He reminds me to always put my hands in front of my face if the ball comes at me. That’s unnecessary. I’m not going to let a bolo ball mess up my face. My hands will be up. Mostly I think he’s worried I’ll get a concussion. I know better than to head butt the ball. No head contact, that’s been drilled into me since before I was allowed to take the field. Of course, I’ve seen footage of my father on the net doing some amazing head butts. Changing the outcomes of games in some cases. At what cost though?

The game is rougher than I expect. The other team takes so many shots I lose count. I stop most of them though. We get the win we expected. Just not by the margin I think we expected. We win by only 4 points. Not very convincing for the first round. Not much rest until our next game which is Saturday morning.

During my game Geoff had gone to pick up my brother from practice. My brother’s not allowed to hang with his friends or even be at home alone after practice for a while. Geoff is there to congratulate me and my brother he just sits on a blanket in the grass acting mopey.

The next night when we go to T.J.’s game I decide to cheer him on as loud as dad. Or as close as I can get to being as loud as dad. Dad loves it. He and I try to out shout each other. That night T.J. knocks on my door when I should be asleep. “Rah Rah, you awake.”

“Just reading,” I say.

“I wanted to tell you that I think it’s cool you told mom and dad you’re gay. That took guts. And thanks for not ratting me out about the death sticks. You were right I should have never smoked them to begin with.”

“Why are you being nice to me?” I ask my brother.

“Has dad blacked out on you recently?”

Oh, no this isn’t just happening around me. “How do you think I got to keep Lupé?”

“This afternoon he was going to tell my coach half the team was vaping. He lost everything. I told him he was just going to update the coach on my arm injury and he did. Later I told him he told the coach about the smoking and the coach was taking care of it. I mean I know I should feel relieved. My friends wouldn’t be my friends anymore if they knew I ratted them out.”

“They aren’t good friends,” I start.

“Don’t tell me how to make friends. Your friends are a bunch of nerds.”

“We were talking about dad,” I remind my brother. “He lost his memory during the Euceron game,” I add.

“Shavit, this is worse than I thought. Do we tell mom?”

“She was upset at breakfast Sunday. Maybe this is why. I don’t want her to worry more,” I think out loud. “Maybe we should tell Uncle Richard.”

“You think he can help? Shouldn’t we call a doctor?”

“Let’s tell Uncle Richard. At the game on Sunday. He knows dad’s doctor. Maybe he can help,” I offer.

“Okay,” my brother starts to get up out of the chair by my desk where he’s been sitting. “Ezra,” he says. “Ezra,” he says it again. “You should drop that baby nickname. Goodnight, Ezra.”

Chapter 18 Game Time

My alarm wakes me up on Saturday. Luckily, I have picked out my clothes for this game. I throw them on and head downstairs for breakfast. I spread nut butter on a piece of fruit and sit down across from my dad. “Morning Rah Rah,” he says.

“I want to be called Ezra.”

“What?”

“I’m too old for that nickname,” I tell my dad.

“Maybe you are,” my dad replies. “Morning, Ezra.”

My mom and sister come down shortly after. “Ready for your big game Rah Rah?” My mom asks.

“Ezra,” my dad corrects.

My mom’s eyes open wide in my direction.

“Ezra,” I confirm.

“Are you ready for your game Ezra?”

“I am,” I answer.

“So we can’t call him Rah Rah anymore?” Cammie asks from behind my mother.

“If he wants to be called Ezra, we should respect that,” my mom reaches out and strokes my head. “Did you get enough breakfast Ezra?”

I nod. Once T.J. comes downstairs we pile in the speeder and head to my game. This game we win easily. I allow two goals, but they are really hard to stop. One I got a good piece of. It doesn’t matter we won. By double digits. After the game we have lunch at our new favorite café. My dad heads over to the stadium for a team meeting in the afternoon. I talk to my friends on the net most of the afternoon and evening. We study together. The next morning we head out, early for us, to the game. Sometimes you have to show your face at a tailgating party. Rival game. For control of the division. We can’t look like we don’t care about this one. I wear one of my father’s old jersey’s. My brother wears Cray’s which is weird. I definitely haven’t told him I have a crush on Cray. My mom and sister wear matching hoodies and leggings. All we have to do now is pull aside my Uncle. Before my dad forgets what play to call during our team’s biggest moment.

Tags: @Vehn @SWNerd11

Trieste, jcgoble3 and Vehn like this.
  11. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Liberty Ann Karr
    Valor Foundation
    Nar Shaddaa

The Smugglers season was cruising right along and with it so had Liberty's push to become Mayor of Nar Shaddaa. She'd faced some tough opposition as her grass roots campaign gained steam. Her opponents, powerful as they were, tried everything to slow her down short of taking her life. Nothing could be done. She was unstoppable, she was indefatigable of sentient rights on the Smuggler's Moon and in kind the population had responded by turning out to vote in historic numbers. She'd changed lives with her historic run to the top. She'd impacted so many beings around her. Most importantly, however, she'd won a six year term in an office with a great deal of political clout.

Still, though, there were things she needed to wrap up in her own life such as her position with the Valor Foundation. The office had thrown a farewell party to her a week ago and then her good friends at the office had purchased a few going away presents to take with her to her new position. As she prowled the gray cubicle maze of the Valor Foundation one last time she couldn't help but reflect on her time with the organization. She'd been changed by the stories she'd heard and hoped in some small way she'd helped others get through the difficult journey of life.

For that she was proud. For that she knew that her work would go on to make a lasting difference. She knew that her time to make an even bigger difference was upon her and that all started with her swearing in ceremony which was scheduled for next week. Her only request: she didn't want to miss the Smugglers game.

Tag: No One (OOC: Very short post I know. Probably broke some rules. That's all I've got time for unfortunately)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  12. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny and warm Victory afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Mercs win again."

"Yeah they do, and with just two games left things starting to come into clearer focus now as the end of the season loom sand the post season is just around the corner."

"Nothing is settled yet though right K-Man?"

"No, not yet, in either conference..."

"Teams are tightly bunched, the league office must love this."

"...though I think the Patriots have officially been eliminated."

"How deflating for them."

"That joke never get old right folks?"

"Though at least the Mercs seem to be in the drivers seat right now following a 20 to 11 win over the reeling Senators who fell to two and five on the season."

"Yeah, tough season on Coruscant, especially after making the post season last year to end a short playoff drought."

"They'll be back, they always come back."

"True enough, true enough, but we'll let their sports talk deal with them, let's talk about the Mercs, what's next for them?"

"A couple of tough games, first next week against the Carratos Pirates..."

"I hate those guys."

"..on Carratos."

"That's going to be a really tough game..."

"It always is against the Pirates."

"...even more so with the Pirates fighting for their playoff lives."

"Then the Mercs finish up the season at home against the Strugglers who are fighting to keep their own playoff spot."

"Possible some teams will have clinched by then though right?"

"You're hoping we do?"

"I can hope."

"Does it matter? I mean Kor'le will have her team play the same way regardless of clinching by then or not..."

"Especially against a team like the Smugglers."

"Well it matters in that it means we're going to the playoffs..."

"Right, well. Yeah looking at it a win would clinch a playoff berth for the Mercs..."

"That would be wonderful."

"....though of course seeding would still be very much in doubt headed into week nine."

"Let's take care of week eight first. Because you know the Pirates, they play tough anyway, but if they know the Mercs can clinch a playoff berth, on their home field?"

"Yeah, in that case, all bets are off."

"Take that Drennan."

TAG: @Jedi Gunny

13. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Championship week has come and gone which means it's time for the pollsters to make their final choice for the field of sixteen as the GCAA limmie playoff is set to start soon."

"This is going to be a good bracket, really looking forward to these playoffs."

"The Super 16 Championship game featured two teams who had a good feeling that no matter the outcome they would each make the playoff, but they sure didn;t play like it."

"S16 pride was on the line..."

"Not to mention seeding for the tourny."

"In the end Duros State pulls out the 19 to 18 win over GVSU, so look for the Pilots to move down a bit..."

"No way they miss the playoff though, no way."

"Meanwhile the University of Thyferra took care of business against Wroona beating the Rimward champs 31 to 24..."

"And now nervous time on Wroona, they were on the bubble..."

"14th isn't really on the bubble, i don't think they will get knocked that far back."

"No?"

"Not with losing to a higher ranked opponent."

"I'm not so sure..."

"They might be 'last in', but my bet is they make the post season."

"We'll see, and I am sure there is an entire world out on Bakura hoping you're wrong..."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

Final HSN Top 25 (top 16 make the playoffs)

1. University of Tatooine, Anchorhead
    2. Norand University, Carratos
    3. Royal College of Hapes
    4. Duro State University
    5. Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa
    6. University of Shili
    7. Druckenwell Technical University
    8. Grand Vulptur System University
    9. University of Thyferra
    10. Enarc Technical University
    11. Ryloth Ag and Tech University
    12. University of Csilla
    13. Taanab A&M University
    14. Cambrielle College, Ralltiir
    15. Sarvchi Technological University
    16. UB Salis D'aar
    17. University of Ool
    18. Republican University
    19. University of Wroona
    20. University of Mon Calamari
    21. University of Apiaree
    22. Tiarest University
    23. University of Devaron
    24. Celwis System University
    25. University of Kashyyyk

291 Limmie Lunacy; Sweet Sixteen

Sienar Bowl: #16 UB Salis D'aar vs. #1 University of Tatooine, Anchorhead

Skimmer Ade Bowl: #15 Sarvchi Technological University vs. #2 Norand University, Carratos

Dos Iziz Bowl: #14 Cambrielle College, Ralltiir vs. #3 Royal College of Hapes

Beskar Bowl, presented by MandalMotors: #13 Taanab A&M University vs #4 Duro State University

Carnation Bowl: #12 University of Csilla vs #5 Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa

Party Bowl: # 11 Ryloth Ag and Tech University vs. #6 University of Shili

Sweetner Bowl: #10 Enarc Technical University vs. #7 Druckenwell Technical University

Nylonite Bowl: #8 University of Thyferra vs. #9 Grand Vulptur System University

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    12th Precinct Lockup, O'Pahz, Carratos

"What...the hell...happened." I ask looking through a ray shield at two bruised limmie players. Mighty Mo had a swelling welt on her jaw, her knuckles red and split, next to her Big J only had one eye open, the other one swollen and purple.

"They came in talking poodoo." Mo spat, "Walked into our place and started talking like they'd already won."

"Look," Big J cut in, "We asked them to knock it off...in defence to Gaius." He looks like he might have just clocked the two guys right away without warning had the Bakuran not been there. "They chose not to, we weren't the only ones getting involved, the whole Deck…"

"They aren't the ones in lockup, they aren't the ones that have a game…" I check my chrono, "In a few hours."

"What were we supposed to do coach, just let them walk all over us. Let them come into our place and start swaggering around like they own it. No we had to do something."

"Did that something have to involve your fists?" I ask still confused and slightly livid that they would do this on the eve of an important game as we came into the playoff hunt. We need to win this game so we keep our chances alive, we've been on the outside looking in too many times, this is the year I thought we were going to make it back but, at every turn it seems I am wrong.

"Look we tried talking to the guys." Mo roars. "We used words and that didn't work so we threw them out.

"Only after you broke one of their arms, another's leg, fractured a skull, broke a jaw, you nearly killed those two guys. One of them is eating through a straw."

"We were just going to throw them out." Big J explains, "They threw the first punch." He gestured to his black eye.

"I don't care who threw the first punch, you're lucky...lucky that you aren't facing criminal charges. As it stands you're going to be in here for at least a day, you're going to miss the game, right when we need you." I hang my head a little a long breath leaving me. "I'm going to have to scramble as it is to fill your positions. You're not making our season easy with this."

"Come on," Mo intercedes "just give Schnitt a call and we'll be out before the first whistle."

"That isn't going to happen," I reply voice low, a little anger slipping in, "Schnitt knows about this, he is very aware of what happened. You are already getting off light, if he pulled strings there would be questions asked at the nexts owners' meeting. If we let our players go around and just punch out other fans what kind of precedent would that set."

"Does it matter all that the Miners' fans were being jerks first?"

"What if one of the Black Spot get their lights punched out by Miners players, what would you want to happen huh?"

"I'd want them to play me in the next game so I can stomp them into the ground. You don't get off free for doing things like that."

I gesture with an open hand pointing towards Mo,

"See, you wouldn't just let that slide, think the Miners feel the same way?" I'm more frustrated now than anything trying to explain to two of my players why knocking out two opposing fans is a bad idea. "Take your licks and we'll just have to play without you." I rise from the chair rubbing my eyes, I suddenly have a bad feeling about the next game.

Arcadia Colosseum, O'pahz, Carratos

It seems I'm right to have a bad feeling about the game. Right from the start things went wrong. Cutty didn't get the opening tip off letting the Miners set the tempo right from the get go. Not what we want. It puts the visitors in the driver's seat, and they will never give it up. We fight back and fight back hard but, we just can't find traction. It quickly looks like the game against the Sens. Unable to find footing, can't even get close goal, and the defense not keeping coverage. Was lacking two of our starting backs hurt us that much.

It could also be that the Miners were incensed at the violence committed upon their fans. Whatever it is they don't let up. The defense is running ragged just trying to keep up with the explosive offense. On the other side of the ball the forwards just can't find space, can't find an opening to take even the worst of shots. Even just ten minutes in it is already not looking good, the Miners had scored two goals and we hadn't even managed a shot on goal yet. It is frustrating this is supposed to be an easy game that would secure our place in the Skywalker.

After a first half of disaster it doesn't get any better in the second. The Miners continue to hold our offense in a choke hold, and run circles around the defense. I try to rally the forwards, to try and find flaws in the visitor's defense but, everything I try only gets pushed back. All the frustration I'm feeling Boutros feels the same amount of anger. She is roaring at the defense, screaming at them to do their jobs, to tighten up. I can only agree if not with the same vitriol. Boutros had worked hard had gotten them to be the number 2 defense in the league. Not that they looked it now.

The game comes to an end, and all we were able to do is put up a single point. A long range bar point from just inside our zone. It isn't the end of our season that is still a few weeks away. It felt like it though, getting that crushed in a game that is usually ours or very close. We've fallen behind, way behind the other teams.

It is going to take a lot of work or a miracle to get us into the playoffs.

TAG: @Trieste (Who approved of the off-screen assault on their fans.)

Trieste, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Gesco City, Bakura

“The Bakura Miners are not a playoff team.”

So said Lun Selayen, voice of the BBC coverage of the Miners on the big screen in the family-friendly restaurant where the official Gesco City watch party for the Miners’ road game on Carratos (an honor for which the restaurant had compensated the Miners franchise appropriately) was taking place. Bess had been sent to socialize with fans, especially the younger ones. Lun’s words were not unexpected.

“They sit outside the playoff picture by a full game, their defense is last in the League, their point differential the same. Their normally potent offense has stalled compared to past seasons. With three games left in the season, time is running out for the Miners to pull it together and it couldn’t come at a worse time, on the road against perennial bugaboos the Pirates.”

“‘Bugaboos’?” Aerax Skytrayn, Lun’s much more sensible and sane broadcast partner, repeated.

“That’s right. Bugaboos.”

Aerax just sighed. She had long become used to Lun’s peculiarities.

“I mean, look at Euceron! Talk about a title defense! And Mando’ade? Tearing it up, per the usual. And can we just talk about Ralltiir? They’ve been a defense first team for a while, but look at that offense!”

“We get the picture, Lun.”

“I think I need a drink just thinking about all this...but oh, that’s right, we lost the Old Whiskey Trophy too! Truth is, the Miners have been terrible against the Skywalker Conference this season and that’s put them in the giant hole they find themselves in. All four losses have come against the Skywalker roster,” Lun pointed out.

“But the Miners get one last shot to notch a win today!” Aerax said with a smile, trying to not cause millions of Miner fans to stick their heads in the oven and turn the gas on before the game had even begun.

“Can I get a drink over here?” Lun hollered to someone outside the holoprojector’s view.

Bess gave a dispirited coo. She couldn’t help but think that Lun had a point. The team hadn’t been the same in the middle of the season as in years past. The Miners had been dismal against the Skywalker Conference and the Pirates were never an easy team for the Miners. Bess could feel the fans’ worry at the event, especially in the younger fans. They’d seen enough losses for their worry to bubble up through their usual enthusiasm. Bess knew that if she kept her usual upbeat attitude that it would help the kids’ mood.

Because she had to make the rounds, Bess didn’t get to see much of the game, but it was only a few minutes in when she heard the crowd cheer. She turned around to hear Selayen roar, “Goaaaaaal! That’s Harle Quinn putting it in to get the this game started, 3-0 Miners! A good start for the blue and gold, but it’s going to take more of that to beat these Pirates. They are hungry, like a Hutt at a buffet!”

Bess shook her head and covered her eyes. Clearly Lun had gotten that drink he’d wanted.

“What did I tell you, Miner fans? Miners win!” Selayen crowed. “That’s one to remember!What a game by the Miners! Their first successful defense of the Jar of Dirt! Good thing too, or I don’t know what would become of that happy, dancing tree that Horst Penn planted in there last season. Whatever that thing is, he looks pretty happy that the Miners won! Just like I said they would!”

“Lun, you said the exact opposite,” Aerax pointed out.

“No, I said the Miners were going to shut down the Pirates, and that’s exactly what they did. We’ll check the tape later,” Lun said without a hint of doubt at the patent falsehood.

The Gesco City party had actually thinned out a little bit once the Miners had put the game away, but those who remained were jubilant that the Miners had finally strung together two straight wins against the Pirates.

“That’s the way we do it, Bess!” an inebriated college student said, giving her a high five so hard it almost took her wing off. “Wooooooooooo Miners!”

As far as Bess was concerned, there wasn’t much cause for celebration by Lun or the bro. They’d staved off disaster, but now they had two critical conference games against teams currently in the playoff picture ahead of them. A loss in either might end their chances of making the playoffs entirely.

Things were about to get hairy.

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422

16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa, and Ralltiir.

291 Week 8 Results
    Euceron Officers at Chandrila Patriots (5-17)
    Bakura Miners at Stewjon Metropolitans (26-23)
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Ralltiir Starkillers (8-31)
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Coruscant Senators (21-21, OT 25-22)
    Mando’ade Mercs at Carratos Pirates (4-13)

HSN Headlines
    • Ralltiir secures playoff spot through conference record
    • Chandrila and Coruscant eliminated from playoff contention
      • HSN analyst: "Beyond that, it's anyone's game"
    • Winner of the Game of Rivals will secure Skywalker regular season title--loser could be eliminated by wins by Euceron and Carratos
    • Winner of the Golden Orange Bowl will secure Solo regular season title
    • HSN anchor: "This is going to be the greatest final week of the ELL regular season we've seen in a long, long time"
      • "Every game this week has meaning"
      • "The mantra for every team this week has got to be 'just win'"
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    jcgoble3 and Vehn like this.
  17. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Atzerri (28), Tatooine (33) Concordia (28) Druckenwell (28) and Thyferra (30, they had 5 in the bank)

LFL Week Seven Results
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Tatooine Sandskimmers (27-15)
    Cantonica Golden Knights @ Concordia Crusaders (14-5)
    Atzerri Bandits @ Thyferra Force (0-22)

Tags: @Vehn @SWNerd11 @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @Jedi Gunny

18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    IC: Nameless HSN Intern
    Time: Early Monday morning

Hey, this is your nameless intern here. The full-time folks here are paid to figure this stuff out, but they're either lazy or clueless [editor's note: We are NOT clueless, though I do admit to being lazy sometimes. After all, that's what you're for.] and just posted some general thoughts yesterday, so I figured out all of your ELL playoff scenarios to every last detail on a caf run. I'd ask for a raise, but they'd just double my pay, and two times zero is still zero. Oh well. Enjoy the fruits of my free labor!

Elite League Limmie Playoff Scenarios

Skywalker Conference

Mando'ade Mercs
    • Can clinch playoff berth with any of:
      • win
      • Euceron loss
      • Carratos loss
    • Can clinch home playoff game with either of:
      • win
      • Euceron loss and Carratos loss
    • Can clinch first-round bye and Commissioner's Trophy with win
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
      • win
      • Euceron loss
      • Carratos loss
      • win
      • Euceron loss and Carratos loss
    • Can clinch first-round bye with win
    • Can win Commissioner's Trophy with win and Ralltiir loss
    Euceron Officers
    • Can clinch playoff berth with either of:
      • win
      • Carratos loss
    • Can clinch home playoff game with win
    Carratos Pirates
    • Can clinch playoff berth with win
    • Can clinch home playoff game with win and Euceron loss
    Chandrila Patriots
    • Eliminated from playoff contention

Solo Conference

Ralltiir Starkillers
    • Clinched home playoff game
    • Can win Commissioner's Trophy with win and Mando'ade loss
    Bakura Miners
      • win
      • Stewjon loss
      • Rydonni Prime loss
      • win
      • Stewjon loss and Rydonni Prime loss
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    • Can clinch playoff berth with either of:
      • win
      • Stewjon loss
    • Can clinch home playoff game with win and Bakura loss
    Stewjon Metropolitans
    • Can clinch playoff berth with both of:
      • win
      • either a Bakura loss or a Rydonni Prime loss
    • Can clinch home playoff game with win, Bakura loss, and Rydonni Prime loss
    Coruscant Senators
    • Eliminated from playoff contention

TAG: Everyone

19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Kerry Trieste appears at playoff rally on UB Salis D'aar campus
    • "It doesn't matter that you're last in--you're in!"
    • On the exclusion of Tiarest: "If I'd been on the committee, I would have put them in"
      • The mention of their rival was met by boos from UBSD student body
    • "The great thing about being #16 is that it's a no-lose situation. Yeah, the Bears have a tough draw in UTA. If you lose, well, that's what everyone expected. If you win--and I think you're going to win--you're going to shock the galaxy and prove the Bak10 deserved to be in the playoff"
    • "I can safely say that all of Bakura is with the Bears going into the Sienar Bowl"

Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Chapter 18 (cont.) Game Time

Our tailgating party is just like the others going on around us. Aside from a few extra security guards. Uncle Richard has sausages on the grill when we arrive. He cuts them in pieces and we skewer them on sticks with vegetables. My mom has a glass of wine, Uncle Richard and Ryan have ales and us kids are allowed to drink fizz. We sit in a circle of folding chairs on the asphalt just relaxing and enjoying our refreshments. Do I really want to spoil this festive pre-game mood? Maybe I should call my Uncle after the game.

That seems to be a good idea. I watch as T.J. stuffs his face with skewer after skewer of meat and vegetables. I wonder if the food helps with the drug withdrawal from giving up his death sticks. He keeps looking at me and I keep looking at him. Eventually, my Uncles get up and starts passing a bolo ball. It’s an awkward sight, two men over 40 trying to pass a bolo ball. “Let me show you how to do that,” Jimsey says grabbing the ball away from Uncle Ryan.

It’s not long before all of us kids are tossing the ball and even tackling the grown-ups to get it back in our possession. Before we know it Uncle Richard says it’s time to go into the stadium. Our box isn’t too crowded today. It’s just immediate family. My brother is bold, he actually grabs my Uncle’s wrist just before her enters the box. “We need to talk to you,” he says making sure I can hear him.

“You do?” My Uncle Richard looks questionably at my brother.

My brother nods, but he looks towards me. He’s older. I’m the smart one. Somehow, that means I’m automatically elected to do the talking. “Dad’s memory is getting worse,” I say.

“Worse how?” My Uncle asks. He closes the door to the box and walks down the private hallway to a quiet corner where we can talk.

“Dad just spaces out,” I say. “He forgets where he is, he can’t remember what just happened and 5 minutes later he’s fine again.”

My Uncle takes his time processing what I’ve told him. It feels like a few minutes pass. “Are you sure?”

Why the hell would I make something like that up? “100% Sure,” I say letting the aggravation show in my voice.

“You have a right to be concerned about your father. We all are. There’s damage to his brain, that’s not reversible,” my uncle’s voice is caring. If he cares he’d do something.

“What if dad blanks out when he’s driving his speeder?” I ask. Surprising even myself with my tone.

“Your dad’s speeder has an autopilot that will take over if the driver is unresponsive,” my Uncle reminds me.

“What if the score is tied at half time and my dad forgets that the Monarchs have scored all their goals by passing around Wiskey. Will he make the wrong adjustments causing us to lose the game?”

“We have assistants down there to back your father up,” my uncle says.

“What if I wake up one morning and my dad doesn’t know who I am?” I demand.

“Rah Rah,” my Uncle starts.

“We call him Ezra now,” my brother says for me.

“Ezra, you could be a damn good lawyer someday you know that.”

As if a compliment could help in this situation. I let out an F-bomb. Shocking my brother and my Uncle.

He doesn’t bother to scold me. “You did the right thing to tell an adult,” my Uncle says. “What we know is that most of the time your father is present. He’s functional, he’s a good father, a good husband, and a good coach. We have to let him live his life. I’ve talked to his doctor. You aren’t the first person to report this to me. Your father could live like this for 40 or 50 more years. This doesn’t mean he’s going to stop remembering altogether. Every brain injury is different.”

I know my Uncle wants to help. I know yelling at him isn’t going to make things any better. I have no choice but to hope he’s right. “Let’s go watch the game,” I say numbly.

As the players take the field I glance at Cray. I watch as Tuff makes his way to the goal box. He paces it and touches the goal posts. It’s like he’s marking his territory as he walks every inch of it. I think he’s inspecting the turf to make sure there’s no surprises if he has to dive for a ball. I take note. I’m a keeper I should be taking notes. I look at the sideline and watch my father. Dad has his eyes on my Uncle Tomas. Tomas is first to make contact after kick-off.

Tomas passes off to Lawco and my father’s eyes follow the ball. Lawco passes to Olidiipo. Olidiipo is almost immediately double teamed. Tomas has run up to help and accepts a short pass. Tomas is fast, he runs and dribbles the ball to the other side of the field. He looks towards Sancheese, then decides to take the shot himself and scores.

My father doesn’t show any emotion. I watch him cup over his mouth to holler out, I think he’s telling everyone to get back on defense. The Monarchs don’t want that Golden Gloves trophy in their possession at the end of this game any more than we do. I watch my father for most of the game. I watch him go from tense to more relaxed as the Starkillers extend their lead. Later in the game he starts to bring in reserves and he tenses up again. It’s important to him that these players perform on just as high of a level as his starters.

Someday I want to care for people as much as my dad cares for people. He wouldn’t have yelled at my Uncle in the hallway the way I did. He just doesn’t yell. He’s always so understanding and he brings out the best in everyone. Unless maybe you bring home a death stick and admit you’ve been smoking it. I decide to give my Uncle the benefit of the doubt. When the game is almost over my family, that is my brother, my sister, my mother and I take the private lift all the way down to the locker room.

The Starkillers have clinched a play-off berth. Not an easy feat in this league. There’s bottles of champagne on the benches. We wait a long time. The players file in and the equipment managers, assistant coaches. My Uncle Tomas, the team’s captain and my dad are out on the field giving interviews to the press. Uncle Tomas comes in first. He hugs his wife then my mom. Finally, my dad comes in. All three of us kids run for the first hug. My dad opens his arms as wide as he can and we all close into the embrace. My mom comes in behind us. All five of us embrace just for a minute and I don’t want the moment to end.

As soon as we separate Tomas hands my dad a bottle of champagne. My dad has no intention of drinking the beverage, instead he hands the bottle to T.J. T.J. knows what to do he shakes the bottle as hard as he can and hands it back to my dad to pop the cork. The beverage rains down on us.

Soon corks begin to pop all around us. We are soaked. T.J. who wears his dark brown hair in a pony tail much like my dad’s pulls his hair to his mouth and sucks some of the alcohol out. My dad looks at him of disbelief. He puts my brother in a headlock and they look at each other. They are laughing. Would another father have rebuked his son in front of a professional team of Limmie players? I’ll never know the answer to that question. My father chose not to make a scene. He offers to fly us kids home. My mom flies her vehicle.

At home the celebration continues. Our old favorite café owner has a cake delivered. “You can’t still be mad at this guy?” My dad says with a mouthful of cake.

I look down at Lupé who’s hiding under my chair. “Dad, how do you not stay mad at people?” I ask.

“I make a vision in my head. I visualize punching that person in the face. If I’m really mad the vision feels good. If I’m not really mad I feel bad that I wanted to hurt someone. So if I feel bad I know I’m not mad. If I don’t feel bad I just keep hitting them until I feel better.”

“You visualize punching people and that makes you feel better?” My dad is weird.

“Close your eyes Ezra,” my dad instructs and I close my eyes. “Now picture the owner of the café. Ball up your fists,” my dad laughs because I don’t just ball up my fists I put them up like I’m ready to fight. “That’s good you are really getting into this,” he says. He gets up from the table and comes over next to my chair. “Here stand up he says taking my hands. “No keep your eyes closed,” he says when I start to peek. “Now,” he puts my balled up fists up to where he has his hands. “You punch my hands as hard as you want. Don’t be afraid. You won’t hurt me,” he says.

So I don’t just punch I step forward and punch. “Good,” my dad says. “He’s in pain. His face is contorted there’s shock and disbelief.” I throw another punch. “His tooth is loose, he’s reaching for his mouth,” my dad says.

“I’m starting to feel better,” I mumble as I take another swing. My dad is ready I feel his hand stop my left hook. I take another swing with my right hand.

“He’s fallen to the pavement and he wants to surrender,” my dad says.

I stomp down, pretending to smash his fingers. “You threatened to kill my cat,” I say angrily.

“He’s sorry,” my dad says and I can tell he’s holding back more laughter. “He says he’ll give you free food for a month if you forgive him.”

“Really?” I ask as I open my eyes.

My dad shrugs. “I dunno, maybe. If someone beat me up like that I’d offer anything for them to stop. Maybe we should stop by and talk to the owner. After your game this week?” My dad offers.

I do miss the secret sauce he puts on his signature sandwiches. “Okay,” I agree.

Chapter 19 Making Amends

It’s a big game. Our league championship. The trophies are arranged on a table for us all to see before the game begins. I spent an hour arranging outfits on my bed before I chose one. I have neon green shorts, neon green socks and a bright orange shirt. I’m a target and the other team is going to unwillingly aim right at me all day so that I am there to make the stops. “Saw you coming from a mile away,” my dad says when I arrive at the game.

“Starkiller orange,” I say proudly.

“He picked it out,” my mother says. She’s going to miss rehearsals to be here today. My sister is wearing a cheering outfit she borrowed from a friend.

“I won’t ever be a cheerleader, but I will cheer for my big brother,” she said back at the house.

“Good luck,” my brother says.

“Thanks,” I say.

My team takes the field for warm ups. The grass is wet from recent rains. I do the same as Cliff Tuff and walk around the goal box. Sure enough there’s a hole in the ground, I make sure to fill that in so I don’t trip and fall during the game.

I’m not going to lie. The game is tough. Cazz is thrown out for roughing an offensive player. You can’t make contact and I don’t think Cazz meant to. It just happened. His arms are long and his paw hit some boys shoulder on the other team. Maybe the boy flopped, maybe not. After that I had a lot of shots to block. Luckily, I blocked just enough. My team won by three points. Covered in mud from saving dives I posed for a holo with my trophy over my head. It was the proudest moment of my limmie life.

A guy I never saw before walks up to me. “Are you going to play in the travel league next season, young man?” He asks.

I realize he’s a coach and he wants to recruit me. “I haven’t decided yet.” I say. It’s the truth. I like being keeper. I like it a lot. I just don’t want to end up like my dad. I don’t want to have damage to my brain.

“Are your parents here?”

“Dad,” I call and here comes Ty Allin. “This guy wants to talk to you.”

I leave my dad and the stunned coach. Now he’ll want to recruit me even more. Sometimes it’s fun when your dad is a famous Limmie player.

Once my dad is done talking to the coach we pile in the speeder and head to the café. Well all of us except my mom who had to get to her show.

It’s not long after we sit down that the owner comes running over to our table. “It’s so good to see you. Where have you been?” He asks.

My dad looks at me. “Well I was here one day about a month ago and I saw you chase away this cat,” I begin.

“You know that cat hasn’t been around here lately. I think I finally scared her off,” he says proudly.

I close my eyes and punch the guy. Square between the eyes. Just in my head of course. “I took the cat home. She lives with me now. Her name is Lupé.”

“Oh, you didn’t like that I was being mean to the cat. You think I should let the animals hang around. Get hair on my customers food.”

“She was just hungry,” I explain. “My dad let me keep her so she won’t bother you anymore.”

“So you stopped coming here because I don’t like animals,” the owner says figuring things out.

“Yea,” I confirm.

“Like I said there was a hair in a customer’s food. Next time I have a visitor should I call you?”

“We can only have one pet,” my dad says.

“I can find someone to adopt any cat or dog that comes by here,” I say. I know where a shelter is. My Uncle Richard has adopted two dogs from a shelter near his house. I’m sure the shelter would help me.

“Okay, I promise next time I get a four legged visitor I call you,” he smiles at me.

I don’t smile back. I do accept my sandwich and I eat every last bite. It’s good to have our favorite café back.

Friday is T.J.’s last game. There’s no play-offs for his team. His school is unranked. My dad says they’ll be ranked next year. “Now that they know who T.J. Allin is.”

Maybe they will, maybe they won’t. My brother’s team loses the final game of the season. My brother scores twice, he’s pretty disappointed about the loss. “You aren’t going out with your friends,” my dad says. “Still grounded.”

T.J. is tense and quiet in the back of the speeder on the way home. I don’t know what to do so I try to be funny, like my dad. “Close your eyes, T.J.” I say. “Pretend to punch dad in the face.”

My dad laughs so hard I think he’s going to crash. T.J. has a look on his face that makes me think he might punch me for real, so I turn around and let him be.

Saturday morning my dad bounces down the stairs with two sideline shirts. “Who’s ready to be briefed for tomorrow’s game?” He asks.

“I’m grounded,” T.J. says from his spot on the sofa.

“You aren’t grounded from Starkiller games. Besides I want you to be there,” my dad says tossing T.J. a shirt.

“No thanks,” my brother says moving away as the shirt falls to the floor.

“Junior, let’s you and me have a talk.”

My dad and my brother go upstairs. I wait. Soon my dad and my brother come back down. All three of us get in the speeder and go to the stadium. I don’t know if it’s free child labor or just my dad’s way of including us. We help fold towels and fill coolers with skimmerade for tomorrow’s game. Then several million ponchos have to be put in each seat. Ponchos? Yup I said ponchos. It’s supposed to rain tomorrow so instead of orange and blue t-shirts there will be an orange or blue poncho in each seat for each fan to wear. This weather favors the Miners they get rain everyday in Bakura. At least that’s what I heard. So we had to do something to give us the advantage back. Besides you can’t ask people to sit in an open stadium without at least trying to protect them from the weather.

There’s a lot of workers. Everyone from custodians to security guards to food vendors helping put these ponchos on the seats. It takes several hours and when we are done I am worn out. On the way home we drive through a nerf burger stand for dinner.

Sunday morning my dad takes my mom and sister out for breakfast. My brother and I aren’t invited. This is his “date with the ladies.” T.J. and I don’t mind. We make caf and eat the leftover cake for breakfast. Tastes just as good as it did a week ago.

There are tarps to protect us on the sidelines during the game. When the team comes out of the tunnel my father stands on the sideline just under the tarp and observes the downpour. “It’s a good day to be a retired plyer,” he says. “All those who make more than I do, enjoy getting wet!” I watch as one by one the players run out from under the tarp onto the field. Most just run, a few hesitate. Several holler in surprise or just raw emotion as the rain soaks their skin and uniforms.

I laugh at my dad’s joke. He gets less credits for being coach than he did as a player. Which really doesn’t make much sense. He’s the one in charge of the players, he’s their boss, he should make more. You can tell that my dad doesn’t really care what he gets paid. He’s having fun. My uncle was right after all. We need to let my dad live his life. When my dad’s living life my life is a whole lot better.

Tags: @SWNerd11 @Trieste

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Trieste, Jedi Gunny and Vehn like this.
  21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Kinley "Mighty Mo" Molin and Sidney "Big J" Jassle suspended for one game after their arrest on domestic disturbance by ELL
    • League considers suspension served as being Week 8 of the Pirates' schedule vs. the Miners
    • Both players are eligible to play in Week 9 regular season finale
    • Both players forfeit any pay they would have received for Week 8

22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Atalanta, Bakura

The entire restaurant held its breath. Up and down the long, community-style tables of the large dining hall were families, groups of friends, and even senior citizens. Even the table service had stopped as servers stood rooted to the ground. Bess, standing between two of the tables had her giant eyes turned towards the large holoprojection hovering at the front of the room over everyone’s heads.

Harle Quinn was standing at the top of the goalkeeper’s box after being fouled by Stewjon. The score was 23-22, Mets. The contest had been a see-saw affair. No sooner did one side take the lead than the other surged to snatch it back. The diehard Mets fans (including Mr. Met, Bess’s opposite number for the week) had rallied behind their team today and were almost pushing them uphill against the Miners. Playoff implications abounded for both teams. A loss by the Miners would take their destiny out of their hands--at the very least. At worst, they might be eliminated entirely depending on how the other games turned out today. Every other Solo team was going to play later in the cycle. If the Miners lost today, it was going to be a very long, nervous day.

Quinn had been hauled down by the longtime Met Mick Plaza in a horsecollar tackle. Even in a noisy restaurant everyone could hear the sudden “Gak!” escape the Zeltron’s throat as her progress was almost comically stopped by the tug on the back of her jersey, her legs shooting out from under her, still pinwheeling as she drove to the net, before she hit the turf, bottom first. Because the penalty had taken place inside the box, it was by rule a penalty shot. Just Quinn and the goalie.

Not even Lun Selayen was saying anything. Kenobi Field was loud as the Mets fans tried to get into Harle’s head. Bess wasn’t sure she’d ever heard a broadcast where Stewjon had been so loud. They knew what the anxious Miner fans knew--this could be their season right here.

Bess couldn’t watch. She put her wings over her huge eyes.

“C’mon Harle,” someone whispered next to Bess.

She could still kind of see through her eyes and saw the image of Harle step forward into the kick, but then the forward went out of sight, obscured by Bess’s wings.

One second later, the crowd roared.

Bess dropped her wings. The sound wasn’t coming from the speakers in the restaurant--it was live, it was right here. Miner fans were jumping up and down. More than a couple drinks were flung out of containers in unrestrained excitement, dousing nearby diners who didn’t care that they were now sticky with everything from blue milk to beer.

Bess just caught Quinn finish her slide across the turf, sending blades of grass up behind her in a rooster tail, her hands on the top of her head in celebratory disbelief.

The celebration in the restaurant was so over-the-top that Bess didn’t even see how the score got to 26-23 by the end of the game. There wasn’t that much time left after Harle’s goal so she guessed the Miners must have burned the Mets when they made an all-out push. It didn’t matter. The Miners were back in the playoff hunt, for real. A 3-0 conference record and one game to go. A doozy of a game at that.

As Bess left the restaurant, one of the Miners employees who had worked the official watch party with her handed her a comm. “It’s for you.”

She held the comm up to what approximated an ear.

“Doing anything next week?” came the voice of her supervisor.

Before Bess replied, her manager plowed on:

“We’re gonna need you on Ralltiir next week.”

TAG: @Runjedirun

Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a cloudy and cool Taungsday afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Chaos in the ELL, right now, chaos."

"What you call chaos, the league calls parity..."

"It's chaos."

"...and with just a week to go in the season and only one team has punched their ticket to the post season, we have a hell of a season finale brewing up for teamns across the league."

"Mercs could have made it two teams clinching a playoff berth this last weekend."

"They could have, they could have, but they didn't as they lose a tough hard fought game to the Pirates, who I still hate by the way, 13 to four, and really it didn;t even seem that close."

"No it didn't Randy, the Pirates defense came out on fire and played an amazing game. They just didn't let up all game and played near flawlessly."

"You loved it didn't you?"

"Well, as a fan of defense, yeah I admit they put on a clinic. Just wished it hadn't happened to the Mercs. Especially with a post season berth on the line."

"But happen it did, and man was the Pirates defense ever good, posting a shut down of the Mercs offense..."

"Fu Arock with just two bar points, Rocket with another with the last point coming from Grute in garbage time after the result was pretty much final and the starters had been pulled."

"I don't think enough can be said about how the Pirates defense played, any time you hold an MVP candidate to just two points you're doing something right."

"And they held Rocket, who I think is in the running for Rookie of the year, to just the one."

"Exactly. They just played perfectly. Played Arock to contact when they needed to, and just denied him the ball the rest of the game. Their D was smothering."

"Too bad, because it actually wasted a fine defensive effort form the Mercs as well."

"Only gave up 13 points, that's a good days work for the backs, but when your offense can't avoid the shut down. It's just not enough."

"OK, so the Mercs got beat, badly, and now where does that leave them with one game to go?"

"With a hard game against that team from Nal Hutta's Moon."

"A team that will also be fighting for a playoff berth."

"At this point who isn't?"

"The Starkillers, they're already in."

"Mercs don't need a win though right?"

"Well that sounds defeatest."

"Just trying to get stock of their options."

"No, they don't need a win here against the Smugglers to clinch a playoff spot, but their fate is in their hands. Win and you're in. That of course goes for the Smugglers too. For the loser there are a variety of scenarios that need to play out, and that goes for several teams. But for this edition of The Game of Rivals, the winner punches their ticket to the playoffs. and that means this match up has the potential to be a real classic."

"Aren't they all?"

Runjedirun, jcgoble3, Trieste and 2 others like this.
  24. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Arcadia Colosseum, O'pahz, Carratos

The energy in the colosseum is, I'd call it electric but, there was an undercurrent. This thump in my chest as the crowd stomps their feet. This isn't just a game this is a cage match. The people didn't come here for the magnificent plays, the perfect passes, or the beautiful crosses. It isn't the athleticism on display they came to see. They came to see two down and dirty teams clash in a tough game that always draws a little blood. They came to see two teams throw themselves at each other to battle for their lives. This isn't a limmie game to them...It's a gladiatorial game with some special rules attached.

It is the same feeling in the locker room. A tension in the air, we both knew this is probably our only chance to reach the playoffs. It is also the Mercs. We hate them, them and the Smugglers, they were our rivals, not the Miners, not anyone else. We three are the core of the Skywalker, we are the ones that set the tempo the attitude of of this conference. It's our rough in your face style of play that give the Skywalker it's reputation. It is these games that are circled on calendars, across the three planets. The rest of the season could not matter at all just as long as we won these games.

However we'd lost to the Smugglers early in the season and now we stood before the conference leading Mercs coming off a terrible loss, only one point scored in front of a home crowd. It was embarrassing the showing we gave last week, and I think everyone knew it. They had failed the planet, failed the home fans last game. Now it is serious the team look to me with grim determination. We aren't going to fail, we need to win this we need to beat the Mercs here to keep our season alive and to prove that we are still a force to be reckoned with in the Skywalker.

I look to the space were the two backs are now healed from their altercation with the pair of trash talking Miner's fans that turned out to be right. We were crushed by the Miners, in large part because they weren't there protecting the net. And for what, putting two men into the hospital? Defending the honor of our team...a team hanging out at the bottom of the conference, the league? With only a shred, a single thread of a hope of going forward into the postseason. I need them and I need them on their game and protecting Ard against the toughest team in the league.

I let out a breath hearing the announcer calling for us. We march down the tunnel, well the team marches I hover behind them. Their cleats clack against the hard duracrete, resounding all around me. We're as ready as we will ever be for this game. A game that will make or break from this season. At least it is going to be a big game, we're packed to capacity here, 1 million beings in the stadium just to watch us play against our rival. There's probably a few million more watching at home. That is a lot of eyes. A lot of eyes to watch us succeed or fail.

I hold my breath my eyes locked on Cutty, this is the start of the the most important game, it needs to start right. Boutros stands like a statue her arms crossed gaze piercing. She'd been rough on the defense since their collapse, it is time to see if all that work had been worth something. The crowd goes quiet as the ref brings their whistle to their lips. The silence is pierced by the shrill call of the whistle. All at once Cutty and Langdon both leap for the ball. The white haired Carratoisan just out muscles her opponent, knocking the ball over to Else.

That is just the start Else gets into trouble making a rushed forward pass to Serica. The corner forward finds just centimeter of space and breaks through. The defense is hot on her tail and not leaving many openings. Bruce is closing in looking like he wants to take a bite out of her. Time is getting short Serica needs to pass it now, or give up a fumble. She rears back and tosses a long pass to Cutty that gets knocked off course. The full forward rushes under it just getting to it in time. That done she turns towards the goal fire in her eyes.

Her feet are a bronze blur as she tears up turf just out pacing Terragone by a step. There is no juking, no pump faking, no slowing down, all she has is a single shot on the goal. She cuts to the left giving Terragone the chance to get a glancing blow against her, knocking her slightly off balance. The shot leaves her hand weakly, spiraling randomly towards the net. Maybe it is the erratic path the feeble shot took but, somehow it makes it past Stargazer. It isn't pretty, but it is a goal, the first one of the game.

The Mercs come screaming back rushing down the field with a hunger for the goal. They want to answer the frankly lucky shot that just got past goaltender. I give a sidelong glance at Boutros arms still crossed gaze locked on the defenders. It is time to see if all the hard work she put into them is worth anything. The Mercs burst through the midfield like DragonBlaster wasn't even there. That's when I see the defense snap into action. Were the Mercs were hungry for the goal to tie up the score, our defense is ferocious.

Scythe came rushing up ball in her hands only to get blindsided Mikia coming in from the sideline. This forced a fumble towards the center to get scooped up by Erza as she roughly shoves off Donsun. Her shoulder catching him under the chin knocking the forward's head back. Is that a legal hit, maybe it is borderline. There is no whistle on the play so play continues. Erza shoots it back out to the middle and the offense gets back to work. They don't score again, but, they push in deep only getting thrown back when Mauntak steps up and crushes Tian into the ground.

That first play is just a taste of what is to come. The fans are getting their money's worth, for once. It is a thrilling game, one of centimeters. Cutty is rushing around looking for the room she needs to operate. Said space is hard to find the Mercs defense is withering and bruising, literally. Serica dives in for a loose ball just getting a hand on it to knock it into the net, coming away with red welt under her eye. That is going to be quite the shiner in the morning but, right now it is a badge of honor.

On the other end of the field our defense is doing work. Brier better known as Rocket, is scampering up the field. The little forward is difficult to guard but, Gaius is doing a good job of it. He comes in low like a predator rushing his prey, wraps his arms around the shifty limmie player and knocks him to the ground. The ball comes loose and Mighty Mo battles her way against Langdon just scooping it up and chucking it forward. Before tumbling to the ground no doubt being helped along by her opponent. She rolls around the pitch before coming up making sure that the ball makes it up the field.

The game is tough through and through by the final minutes when the Mercs are bringing in their reserves my team is still standing, battered, beaten, but, in a commanding lead. This isn't one for the highlight reel but, it is one for the ages...I think every game we've played against them is. Even when there is nothing on the line we still fight like caged beasts. It is a fight everyone wants to see. Not for the goals not for the plays just the raw power and some might say hatred on the field.

We walk away our heads held high, our foe defeated and hope for the future, however dimly. We come into the last game of the season needing just one more win...one more chance to try and make it to the finals.

Will we make it...it'll take a miracle…

But, those can happen...we just toppled a giant.

Trieste, Runjedirun and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  25. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Limmie Lunacy is upon us and the craziness has already started so let's get to the scores!"

"The Sienar Bowl saw the big match up between number 16 and the one overall seed and this one was a high scoring affair that saw several lead changes before the Golden Bears salted away University of Tatooine, Anchorhead for good, 30 to 26 putting to a premature end to what had been a great season thus far for UTA. UBSD moving on!"

"I didn't see that one coming."

"You didn't even see UBSD making the playoff, now they down the number one team."

"Yeah..."

"Over in the Skimmer Ade Bowl, number two Norand University, Carratos took care of number 15 Sarvchi Technological University 22 to 21 to narrowly avoid the upset."

"That would have been nuts!"

"The Dos Iziz Bowl saw the all female team of number three Royal College of Hapes downing number 14 Cambrielle College, Ralltiir 24 to 17."

"Oh boy Justin, your day keeps getting worse."

"Can't wait to hear what Alana Glencross has to say about that."

"ugh."

"Here at home in the Beskar Bowl, presented by MandalMotors, number 13 Taanab A&M University lost to number 4 Duro State University 22 to 14."

"That's a good squad from DSU, watch out for them in this tournament."

"We almost had another upset in the Carnation Bowl, but number five VCU overcame a six point half time deficit and managed to pull off a 21 to 20 win over number 12 University of Csilla."

"That was a fun game to watch, didn't think they were going to pull off the comeback there so late"

"In the Party Bowl number 11 Ryloth Ag and Tech University did manage to pull off their upset though as they downed number six University of Shili 21 to 19."

"Number ten Enarc Technical University saw their season come to an end as number seven Druckenwell Technical University beat them handily 27-11 in the Sweetner Bowl."

"And to round things out, number eight GVSU took down number nine University of Thyferra in the Nylonite Bowl 20 to 14."

"I hate this playoff."

Limmie Lunacy: The Elite Eight

Jogan Bowl: #16 UB Salis D'aar vs. #8 Grand Vulptur System University

Republic Bowl: #4 Duro State University vs. #5 Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa

Papa Palpatine Bowl: #2 Norand University, Carratos vs. #7 Druckenwell Technical University

Incom Bowl: #3 Royal College of Hapes vs. #11 Ryloth Ag and Tech University

Trieste, Vehn and Runjedirun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.