main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    OOC: Limited time this week but here it is ;) Best of luck.

IC: Liberty Ann Karr

The Game of Rivals
    Meshla'Vhetin

Liberty stood near the tunnel heading out onto the field. As Mayor of Nar Shaddaa she had special access to a few connections on the squad and was able to land prime position as the 5-2 Smugglers took to the field. She shook hands with Helen Ripley, Zelena Wiles, Niall Rian and others as they gave her a respectful nod.

She'd watched the Smugglers closely this season. They'd won in killing fashion with a crushing defense and an offense that could carry the team during a rare slump. Last week's overtime victory against Coruscant had been nearly soul crushing. Only a late score by Niall Rian had put the Smugglers over the top for the win.

Now they'd go out there and do battle with their old rivals in a week with everything on the line. Win and they were in the postseason. Lose, and well, they needed some help. The Skywalker Conference, arguably the tougher of the two in the sport, was gearing up for what was going to be a classic tilt between two franchises that absolutely hated one another. Meshla'Vhetin, of course, was sold out.

Liberty bit her lip as play commenced. It was chippy, it was hard hitting, and most of all, it was everything that made the Game of Rivals so special.

Tag: @Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik and Trieste like this.
  2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Atzerri (28), Tatooine (28) Concordia (28) Druckenwell (28)

LFL Week Eight Results
    Concordia Crusaders @ Thyferra Force (20-3)
    Cantonica Golden Knights @ Tatooine Sandskimmers (24-3)
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Atzerri Bandits (4-23)

Final Standings
    Thyferra Force (6-2)
    2 Cantonica Golden Knights (6-2)
    3 Concordia Crusaders (5-3)
    4 Atzerri Bandits (4-4)
    5 Tatooine Sandskimmers
    (2-6)
    6 Druckenwell Marksmen (1-7)

LFL Play – Offs
    (6) Druckenwell Marksmen @ (3) Concordia Crusaders
    (5) Tatooine Sandskimmers @ (4) Atzerri Bandits

LFL Semifinals
    (?) @ (2) Cantonica Golden Knights
    (?) @ (1) Thyferra Force

Tags: @Jedi Gunny @SWNerd11 @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @Vehn

Trieste likes this.
  3. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

I hope it's true when they say better late than never! However, the anticipation has definitely built for the Parity Party! Bonus potential to Bakura, Carratos, Euceron (thanks to that great playoff rundown), Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa, and Ralltiir.

291 Week 9 Results
    Stewjon Metropolitans at Chandrila Patriots (24-4)
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Mando’ade Mercs (26-39)
    Bakura Miners at Ralltiir Starkillers (20-35)
    Euceron Officers at Coruscant Senators (12-5)
    Carratos Pirates at Rydonni Prime Monarchs (25-19)

Final Standings

Skywalker Conference
    1. Mando'ade Mercs (6-3, conf. 3-1)
    2. Euceron Officers (6-3, conf. 1-3)
    3. Carratos Pirates (5-4, conf. 3-1)
    4. Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (5-4, conf. 2-2)
    5. Chandrila Patriots (2-7, conf. 1-3)
    Solo Conference
    1. Ralltiir Starkillers (6-3, conf. 4-0)
    2. Stewjon Metropolitans (5-4, conf. 1-3)
    3. Bakura Miners (4-5, conf. 3-1)
    4. Rydonni Prime Monarchs (4-5, conf. 2-2)
    5. Coruscant Senators (2-7, conf. 0-4)

HSN Headlines
    • Mando'ade Mercs win Commissioner's Trophy thanks to head-to-head win against Starkillers in Week 3
    • Ralltiir Starkillers finish with most points allowed and best point differential
    • Euceron Storm finish with least points allowed, averaging just 10 points a game
    • Solo Conference Semifinal will see a -36 point differential team host a -22 point differential team
    • Only four teams finished the season with a positive point differential
    • Coruscant Senators have the right to the first overall draft pick in 292
    Galactic Cup Playoffs
    Conference Semifinals
    (3) Carratos Pirates at (2) Euceron Storm
    (3) Bakura Miners at (2) Stewjon Metropolitans

Conference Finals
    ??? at (1) Mando'ade Mercs
    ??? at (1) Ralltiir Starkillers

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• UBSD campus erupts in celebrations over upset of #1 UTA in the Sienar Bowl
    • Commissioner Kerry Trieste declares it “one of the greatest upsets ever”
      • “We showed the galaxy that the Bak10 can play with the best of them”
      • On the Jogan Bowl vs GVSU: “They’re going to be just as hard”
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik

Runjedirun, Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Bess
    Financial Square Arena, Cambrielle, Bakura

Real porgs were designed for wet conditions. Mascot porgs were not.

Bess’s waterlogged fur meant she was carrying at least 5 kg in water weight alone. Sadly, the colloquialism “like water off a porg’s back” didn’t apply to her. This wasn’t the first time that she’d done her stuff in the rain--after all, Bakura could get notoriously wet too--but for some reason the rain just seemed wetter and more penetrating on Ralltiir. That had to be her imagination, right? Water was water, wasn’t it?

As a visitor to the arena, Bess stayed near the Miners’ sidelines (unlike having the run of the whole stadium in Salis D’aar). The furthest she ventured was in the direction of one of the cheerleading teams, which Bess decided to imitate. Given her bulkier size compared to the lithe dancers, Bess’s routine was nowhere near as graceful as theirs. In fact, trying to do one of the moves caused Bess to faceplant into the soggy grass.

Every time Bess moved towards Jon Draper to have some fun with him by way of imitation like she had earlier in the season, the head coach shooed her off without even looking at her. It was like he had giant porg radar (or maybe he could just hear her feet squishing towards him).

“No,” Draper would bark sternly, not even bothering to point for Bess to come back from where she came from. Bess complied without so much as a trill.

The reason was that it was a tough game. Both teams had come to play. For Ralltiir, they had a chance at the Commissioner’s Trophy. For Bakura, the stakes were even higher. A loss might mean they got shut out of the playoffs entirely. Almost every team had similar stakes this week and there was a general feeling of anxiety throughout the League over how it would turn out. No one was going to phone in this final week. Nobody was going to just play their reserves and coast into the playoffs.

Not a single Miner white jersey was unstained. Muddy brown and streaky green splotches were to be seen everywhere. Socks were ripped from sliding along the slick field. Players came out of the game periodically to get longer and longer cleats to find better purchase on the pitch. The water soaked everyone so thoroughly that they resembled wet Cathar (except for Jo Pawvelski who was a wet Cathar).

Bess retreated at one point to a section of Miner fans in the stands who had finagled a block of tickets next to each other. They were wearing ponchos in a valiant attempt to stay somewhat dry. “Sorry Bess, I don’t think they make any in your size,” one of the fans apologized as she looked longingly at the flimsy plastic.

Even though some might have thought the wet conditions favored the road team, it was the Starkillers who triumphed. Bess had done her best, but Ralltiir had shown they were truly the cream of the Solo with a perfect conference record. Their home field advantage in the Conference Final was well deserved.

“Come on Bess, handshake time!” Horst said, dragging her along behind him to meet the Starkillers. It was Truce Day week on Bakura, after all. A little sportsmanship was appropriate.

One of the waterboys for the Starkillers shaked Bess’s hand and said, “Nice costume.” He was a little beyond the age of kids that really like mascots. When he got older, he’d probably think it’s awesome to get a holo with Bess because it’ll be ironic. Bess didn’t mind. She knew her demographic, so Bess made no response.

“Nice to meet you,” a younger waterboy said. “Lofykam. She gets really hungry after games. You better get off this field fast before she decides you look like a good snack.”

Bess couldn’t help but laugh. Now that was funny. Truth was the kid had earned the right to get in a dig. His team had walked away with the Golden Orange Bowl. It was too bad Bess couldn’t change her features to smile at the waterboy to express her amusement. She gave a series of chirps that sounded a lot like a chuckle and pointed one finger at the waterboy to say, Good one.

But for now she had bigger concerns: the Monarchs game. If Rydonni Prime won, the Miners were out. If they lost, they’d squeak in.

For all she knew, Bess’s season was now over.

TAG: @Runjedirun

Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Hapes prepares to host the Galactic Cup Final and associated festivities
    • Queen Mother Sierra Chume: "We are pleased to welcome the limmie community to the Consortium for the best that boloball has to offer"
    • ELL's decision to host the Final and season awards on Hapes comes on the heels of a debate on The Fandalorian over whether one sex is inherently better with limmie
      • Lokensgaard: "We absolutely were not trying to be provocative when we selected Hapes for this year's Final site."
      • Reporter: "Why did you wink when you said that?"
      • Lokensgaard: "I didn't wink."
      • Reporter: "You just did it again."
      • Lokensgaard: "I had something in my eye."
      • Reporter: "You did it again."
      • Lokensgaard: "You should have your eyes checked."
      • Reporter: "Stop winking!"
      • Lokensgaard: "Okay."
      • Reporter: "ARGH!"
    • ELL is compiling the season awards ballot for publication concurrent with the Conference Semifinals
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galacticvagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn send me your award suggestions!

Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny and but kinda cool Victory afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"What a finish to the season, oh my goodness what a finish."

"It was...it was great."

"Not just for the Mercs, but for the entire league."

"Oh you're not kidding, but let's stick to the Mercs for now as they cap off the 291 regular season with an epic 39 to 26 beat down of the Strugglers securing them a playoff spot..."

"Oh not just a playoff spot, the over all number one seed and the Commissioner's Trophy..."

"Which you note, not one of them touched."

"Crazy season, and to think a loss would have dropped them from the playoffs entirely after the Officers and Pirates both won this weekend as well."

"Yeah, it was a really good thing the Mercs won, because as you said, had they lost they would be watching the playoffs from at home, which is what the Strugglers now have to face."

"Both teams played like they knew it was going to come down to that too, but in the end it was the Mercs that prevailed."

"Well Fu Arock came through like everyone expects of him now."

"He's my MVP again this season."

"He's my MVP for every season..."

"He'll get a lot of competition..."

"He was fantastic, especially early on when the Smugglers were still in it."

"They started to slow him down there in the second half..."

"Which is when Rocket, who was shaky to start the game with three straight turnovers took over scoring eight of the Mercs final 10 points."

"Rookie of the year?"

"He's got my vote...

"If you had a vote."

"...but lot's of good competition for that too."

"Another artifact of parity in the league."

"Hey, if every season can end like this one, I'm all in for the parity party too!"

"OK, so Starkillers and Mercs getting first round byes."

"That Ralltiir team, man they are scary good."

"Which means the first round in the Solo is the Mets and Miners..."

"Miners are going to win that one."

"Agreed."

"Of course you both agree, they are a player team and get a bonus roll..."

"I think the Miners, look, they are not a great team this year, but playoff limmie is different than regular season..."

"...besides, we all hate to see NPC teams moving on so everyone is rooting for that one anyway."

"Sure, sure," Justin continued on as if he hadn't even heard Liz. "They have experience here in playoff time..."

"Mets do too."

"True, but I think the Miners have more of it, and I think they pull out the narrow iwn."

"I think the Miners beat them going away, but hey we both have the Miners there. What about the Skywalker?"

"Pirates..."

"I hate those guys."

"...versus the defending champs? Man I have to take the Officers there, but it's going to be close."

"I hate to say it, but I am going the other way there."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I just think it's hard to repeat, and the Officers while a really good team will fall just short here in the first round."

"Well I am going to bet that no matter the eventual outcomes, these games will be exciting just like the season was..."

TAG: @Vehn

Runjedirun, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Logan Manx-Sandin
    Monarchs Stadium, Rydonni Prime

This is it, the last game of the season, our last chance at making the playoffs. Everything is up in the air. We win here we get in, by the skin of our teeth but, we get in. For the first time two years we might go back to the playoffs. We were in the same place at the same time last year. Expect then we needed to win and someone else needed to lose. This time all we need to do is win, just put this game away and we get our tickets punched and have a shot at the cup. Is it going to be an easy road, no, it is a miracle that we made it this far but, they we're going to take whatever chance we can get.

I put these thoughts behind me, that is for a later time, a time after this game. Everything is on the line, this is our last chance we have to focus on that. I look about the visitor's locker room, to the team that brought us this far. Ard Borne the back up goalie thrown into the fire early in the season. The ragtag collection of Second Stringers that faced down the defending champions and won. The pair of passionate defenders that went too far and cost us a game at the worst possible time. And of course the three veterans that are the core of our offense.

The Old Salt Line, Leigh, Else and Seiji. Been with us since the beginning, I can remember when Leigh was just a 19 year old rookie taking up the right half forward position. Now she was just the other side of thirty and team captain. I can still recall that night, ten years ago when we shared our deepest secrets. Mine didn't stay secret for much longer, I couldn't keep that hidden. Hers, hers I have kept, not even Mikia knows. Who else knows that Leigh had a crush on our first coach? I don't know, I just know I haven't told anyone.

I put these thoughts behind me as the announcer's voice boomed over the speakers. The crowd roared, the sound of their voices echoing down the tunnel sounding like a howl. The team steels itself, I do the same. We can't afford to get intimidated, can't afford to get into our heads. We need to give everything we can't hold back. This is our last chance, our only chance, to get into the playoffs we've been shut out of for two years. We need to show them why we are a threat, even after two lackluster years. This is our return to the galactic stage.

The players' cleats couldn't barely be heard over the crowd. Once we got to the field the noise lessened somewhat but, sheer grandeur of the stadium gave me a nervous feeling in my chest. I force it back down, I need to get my head on straight too, I can't just trust my players to do my work for me again. I take my place at the sidelines letting out a long breath. We've trained not necessarily for this but, for a high stakes game, the Mercs prepared us for this. The hard hitting gritty play of two team fighting to survive.

The only question is, who is hungrier.

On the sidelines I watch as the ref put the whistle to their lips. My heart is pounding with anticipation my hands sweating. It is the same feeling I had when I still played. The nervous energy that welled up in my chest right before the tip off. The shrill cry of the whistle pierces the air and Cutty is off like a shot leaping up into the air over her opponent. A quick pass to Serica and it is off to the races as the Monarchs got set preparing to receive the our first offensive charge. We sweep across the field a white and black tide rushing in.

Serica dumps back to Cutty as the full forward danced around the defender guarding her. Now open and with miles of room to work with the white haired player rushes the net. She turns, breaking away with her incredible speed. Her hand rears back but, doesn't lose a step at full speed she let it fly. It is blindingly fast, I can't even keep up, neither could the goalie it seems as the visitor goal horn sounded. Good, we got the first goal, we have a chance to take control early. That is exactly what we need in a game like this.

In the transition I can see the forwards jockeying with the defense for their position, not just passively standing around. They were fighting for position looking to keep the pressure on, not letting up. The Monarchs get the play out of their zone but, we are at their heels all the way. In our defensive zone things get rough. Mikia swings in from the right clipping the forward coming in knocking the player off balance. Gaius finishes the play off by forcing the fumble and kicking off the next play for us. It is just the start, hopefully of our path back to the Playoffs.

After the first exchange the teams settle into a pattern. A big hit on one side followed by a brilliant defense on the other. Sometimes a goal slips through, or a hit misses but, I see my team holding nothing back. They want this, they need this, need to prove that they deserve their place in this league. The passion they bring the weight of it on the field is clearly grinding down the opposition. Not that the Monarchs were even close to giving up, not in front of their home crowd. I can see it though, the will, the drive to see this game to the end, my team has that in spades.

At the end we stand with are heads high, and our ticket punched.

A miracle.

Is it too much to hope for another one, another trip to the big game, a visit to the Galactic Final?

With how this season turned out the chance is there...we just have to reach for it, we just have to keep playing like our lives depend on it.

TAG: @SWNerd11

Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  9. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Limmie Lunacy has seen the Elite Eight come and go, so let's see how everyone did."

"The Golden Bears defied the odds by making into the tourney and then busted some brackets taking down number one overall seed UTA last week, but see their Cinderella..."

"Really? Cinderella in the GFFA?"

"...season come to a close as number eight GVSU takes down number 16 UBSD 26 to 23 in the Jogan Bowl."

"Number four Duro State University fell to number five Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa 31 to 27 in a high scoring affair at the Republic Bowl."

"Number seven Druckenwell Technical University took the Papa Palpatine Bowl to overtime against number two Norand University, Carratos. That game was tied 21 all at the end of regulation but DTU outlasts Norand 25 to 22 in the extra frame. DTU moving on."

"And the Incom Bowl saw number three Royal College of Hapes fall to number 11 Ryloth Ag and Tech University 24 to 20."

"Told you an all female team wouldn't cut it."

"Oh shut up already."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

Limmie Lunacy Final Four

Bank of the Core Bowl: #8 Grand Vulptur System University vs. #5 Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa

SoroSuub Bowl: #7 Druckenwell Technical University vs. #11 Ryloth Ag and Tech University

10. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Ezra Allin

Chapter 20 Winning In the Rain

Despite my dad’s initial reaction about being happy to stay dry under this tarp today I can tell he is loving this game from the moment it begins. I’m fairly busy making sure towels are in stock as players come on and off the field, but I can hear him mumbling under his breath as Uncle Tomas dribbles up field, “Don’t turn an ankle, don’t turn an ankle. What a pass! Way to use the mud, got an extra 5 feet sliding with the ball. Good aim, good aim,” and then Olidiipo scores.

On the next drive Lawco takes the dribble. Uncle Tomas gets caught up early in a pile up at midfield. Cray is covered, Lawco passes anyway. Cray makes a catch and immediately slips on the wet turf. Miners begin to dive on top so he’s unable to get up. Legs and arms are flailing more and more beings jump on the pile. When everyone least expects it Sancheese army crawls out from under the pile with the ball. Most of the Miners defense is caught up in the pile. It’s one on one now between Sancheese and Miner Keeper Marnie Blake. Sancheese fakes left, fakes right, and kicks the ball into the net.

The crowd is celebrating, the sideline is celebrating, my dad is running out on the field into the rain as if getting wet no longer concerns him. At the bottom of the pile Cray isn’t getting up. Trainers are on my father’s tail. I have to hand towels to players who come off to dry off while Cray is attended to. There’s too many tall players for me to see what’s going on so I look up to the large screens provided for those in the upper levels. Cray is talking to the trainers. He’s moving his limbs. I relax as two trainers help him up and he walks off on his own accord. The crowd cheers and he heads into the locker room for what I assume is a routine look over. I personally hand him two towels. “Hope your okay,” I manage.

“Thanks kid,” he replies.

In Cray’s place I see my dad substitute Saiada Clarette. The game continues. The Miners put up a few points, we put up a few points. Cray comes back out of the tunnel and takes a place on the bench. He looks fine to me. I’m excited, I think he’s going to go back in the game and open up the score in our favor. He thinks so too. “I’m ready Coach,” he says getting my dad’s attention.

“Not just yet,” my dad says. “Maybe after the half,” my father says under his breath as he continues to watch the game going on in front of him.

“Coach let me play,” Cray says emphatically.

My dad doesn’t respond. The game is tight, we hold a 3 point lead going into the locker room at half time. I don’t go in the locker room to hear what my father or any of the coaching staff may have to say. I throw two loads of towels into washing machines and refill carts. The rain isn’t letting up. We are going to need all these towels.

The dance team pleases the crowd with a routine they do while holding umbrellas. I only see part of it, it’s somewhat comedic, a little bit over the top. Whatever we are all making adjustments to get through this game in this weather. The team comes out of the tunnel. Cray starts to run onto the field to warm up. “Not you,” my dad says grabbing his shoulder.

“What?” Cray responds. "Trainer says I can play."

“You told me you took an elbow to the head in that pile up. Concussion protocol, you sit.” My dad points his finger at the bench.

“I’m fine. I can play. We did the tests I passed. There’s no league rule if I pass the tests.”

“This is the Ty Allin rule,” my dad says giving emphasis to his name. “You are sitting on the bench. Besides I’m going to need you 100% for the play-offs.”

“Coach I want to win this game.”

“Cheer for your teammates,” my dad advises.

Play starts and when I get a chance to glance at Cray you can tell he’s going nuts. He wants to play so bad. The game is still close. 5 points now, but anybody’s game. Riggles scores for the Miners. Suddenly it’s a two point game. Cray gets up. “I’m going in,” he says under his breath.

He even casually makes his way over to the ref and takes a knee by the sideline. My father doesn't take much time to intervene. “I think you're lost,” he tells Cray.

“I’m not lost. I’m going to play Limmie. Team needs me.”

“Get back to the bench or I’ll call security and have you hauled off the field,” my dad says in no uncertain terms.

“Go ahead,” Cray is testing my dad.

My dad doesn’t hesitate he has two security guards haul Cray right off the sideline and into the locker room. It’s a sight on the big screens and the crowd is in obvious shock. I’m in shock. My newfound idol and crush just whisked off the field. And our lead is down to two points.

My father calls a time-out. Some reserves come out, most of our starters are back on the field. Uncle Tomas opens our lead back up to 5 points shortly after the Starkillers retake the field. Our defense holds and Sancheese finds another opening on the next drive. Our lead extended, everyone begins to play more confidently.

I just do my job, I keep making sure the Skimmer Ade is flowing and the dry towels are available. In the back of my mind I wonder what Cray is doing. I wonder what he’s thinking. Late in the game he comes back out and celebrates on the sidelines. When the game is over everyone runs out in the rain to celebrate. Even me. I shake hands with every Miner player and Coach. They even brought along their mascot. A Porg, of all things. “Nice costume,” I hear my brother say sarcastically ahead of me as he brushes his hand on her wing for a make shift high five.

A few years ago I would have been excited about the Porg. I remember wanting my holo with her when I was a little kid. I’m too old for that now. I see him or her or whatever is inside that costume for what it really is now. Just some desperate being who needs credits or has been athlete that wasn’t good enough to make the team. I have an idea. I pretend I have something to tell the Porg, “Nice to meet you,” I say. We have time cause she’s last in her line and I’m last in mine. I get on my tip toes and put my mouth near it’s ear. “Lofykam,” I say naming our Wookiee forward, “She gets really hungry after games. You better get off this field fast before she decides you look like a good snack.”

The Porg goes out of it’s way to let me know the comment wasn’t lost on him or her. Chirping and dancing and acting like a fool. Maybe I made their day just a little better. One thing I can for sure take from my father is his sense of humor. Around him people laugh and have a good time. I want to spread that the way he does. Lose brain cells playing Limmie, not so much.

Chapter 21: Win or Go Home

Here on Ralltiir we have an extra week to prepare or stress depending on how you look at the upcoming play-off match up against our yet to be determined opponent. For the Sandskimmers there is no extra time to prepare. They play today. My father’s cousin’s last chance to prove he might have a chance in this league.

Then there’s something most people outside of this family don’t know. My Uncle Spencer’s job as head coach may be on the line too. I say may be as in might, but I think everyone knows it has to be. He’s been coaching down there for years and the Sandskimmers are not good. Tatooine deserves a more competitive team. Uncle Spencer is a good GM and businessman. Look what he’s done with Skimmer Ade. LFL and ELL teams are adopting it as their own.

We have a fun evening planned to go watch the Mets play the Miners at the stadium with the players at the stadium in a theater with a huge holo screen designed specifically for events like this. I can already taste the nachos. First I have to watch this Sandskimmers game. The first one all season I’ll watch with my dad present. I wonder how he’s going to act. Does he think he made a mistake taking a chance on his cousin?

I’m in the basement with my brother, reading over some notes for school when my father bounds down the stairs. “Who’s ready for some Limmie?” He asks excitedly. A ball comes seemingly out of nowhere, though I know he must have thrown it. My brother leaps in front of me to make the catch.

“You think Miles’ ankle is strong enough to play?” T.J. asks.

“Doesn’t matter,” my dad says. “He’s playing. There’s no forgiveness in this league. Lucky for you, you aren’t in the league yet. In this house there’s forgiveness. Your grounding ends in 24 hours.”

“Really?”

“Don’t make me regret it,” my dad says in his best dad voice.

I have to admit I was a little shocked for my brother. Soon we are joined by my sister and a friend who she had sleep over last night. This girl walks right up to T.J. and says, “Are you Cammie’s gay brother? I’ve never met a gay person before.”

“I’m not,” T.J. says. “But you have met a gay person before. You just didn’t know they were gay.” That’s when the commercial ends and the Sandskimmers are shown warming up for their game against the Bandits. I look over to my father. I know he heard that comment. He pretends to be watching the broadcast. For the first time in a long time I feel like he’s let me down. Isn’t he supposed to make me feel better in situations like this?

Tag: @Trieste

jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

There's no turning back now. It's playoff time. Bonus potential to the road teams: Bakura and Carratos.

Galactic Cup Playoffs
    Conference Semifinals
    (3) Carratos Pirates at (2) Euceron Storm (31-10)
    (3) Bakura Miners at (2) Stewjon Metropolitans (12-23)

Conference Finals
    (3) Carratos Pirates at (1) Mando'ade Mercs
    (2) Stewjon Metropolitans at (1) Ralltiir Starkillers

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Runjedirun

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Concordia (28) and Tatooine (33) and Atzerri (28)
    LFL Play – Offs
    (6) Druckenwell Marksmen @ (3) Concordia Crusaders (7-19)
    (5) Tatooine Sandskimmers @ (4) Atzerri Bandits (8-12)

LFL Semifinals
    (3) Concordia Crusaders @ (2) Cantonica Golden Knights
    (4) Atzerri Bandits @ (1) Thyferra Force

Tags: @Vehn @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @SWNerd11 @Jedi Gunny

13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Alana Glencrosses announces a celebrity exhibition match to take place on Hapes as part of Galactic Cup Final week
    • Three-on-three limmie (one forward, one midfielder, one defender, and one goalkeeper) will take place on a special smaller field
    • Match being billed as “the Battle of the Sexes” as Glencross’s all-female team will play Justin Pitt’s all-male team
    • Ryi Kor’le confirmed as participant on Team Glencross
    • Ticket proceeds will be donated to charity
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik

jcgoble3, Bardan_Jusik and Runjedirun like this.
  14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: “Bess”
    Salis D’aar, Bakura

He went over the faux-feather fur with a curry comb with just as much detail as any other week. After every use, Jace smoothed out Bess’s fur with care and attention, restoring its sheen after hundreds, perhaps even a thousand, hands had run through it during Bess’s public appearances. While Bess would still get out for events across Bakura, it would be several months before she was really in the spotlight again.

The Miners’ season was over.

Truth was, Jace was glad he hadn’t been in costume on the sidelines for the game against Stewjon. The Mets had learned from their home field loss a couple of weeks earlier. While they couldn’t fully stop the Miners, they were able to stop them enough and poke enough holes in the defense to get the job done. For the Mets, it was actually an above average performance. Mr. Met no doubt had done his part to make sure Kenobi Field gave the Mets a strong tailwind.

Jace loved his job. Every week he got to put on the Bess suit and be part of amazing things, and not just limmie. There were school events, charity fundraisers, community service projects, hospital visits, and many more opportunities to put a smile on the face of kids and adults alike. Was it the most glamorous job? No, not really. Did he get to make an impact? Yeah...yeah he did.

Even Jace had to admit that it was kind of silly that the Miners had a porg as their mascot. Even the Bak10 had more fearsome mascots than them. The Golden Bears, the Cubs, the Pioneers, the Colonials, the Rangers, the Archers, the Titans, the Blue Birds, the Ensigns...and then whatever the Burgundy was supposed to be (but even that sounded cooler than a porg). And yet somehow Jace wouldn’t change Bess for anything. It seemed to him that a mascot was meant to be cuddled more than feared or revered. He saw it every week in the way the young kids flocked to him. Bess brought joy, even on the days the Miners lost (albeit not as much joy as when they won).

It was good that she did. Today was the first time in over a decade that the Miners had lost a Conference Semifinal game. Truth was the Miners didn’t have the oomph to go the distance this year. It was a small miracle they’d made the playoffs. In fact, a Rydonni Prime win in Week 9 would have shut them out. They’d limped into the playoffs in one of the tightest years in history. Jace had a feeling that they wouldn’t have gone far against the Starkillers even if they’d gone back to Cambrielle.

Jace sighed and patted the Bess costume on the chest.

“Next year, girl,” he said. “We’ll get ‘em next year.”

TAG: None--thus ends the great porg adventure :p

jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  15. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Chapter 21 Win or Go Home (Cont.)

The sting of the unintentional jab from my sister’s friend slowly fades as we watch the Sandskimmers game. For my dad’s part he really doesn’t show any emotion during the game. He’s laser focused, T.J. might be able to smoke 10 death sticks during the game and he wouldn’t even look over to notice. This game means a lot to my father. He holds out hope until the bitter end. When it’s over he turns off the holo and heads upstairs without a word.

Surprisingly my dad is completely recovered an hour later when it’s time to leave for the stadium to watch the Mets/Bakura game. “It’s up to me to win this franchise a title now,” he says. “I’ll show you how to live up to crazy expectations,” he continues as he reaches for the souvenir cups we have in our pantry. Mom and Dad like to care for the environment. So if we are going to the stadium to watch an event, or even just a play-off game between two other teams. We can and will bring our own cups.

“Who are we routing for Daddy,” Cammie asks as we make our way to the garage.

“No one, if both teams lose we go straight to the final.”

“Can that happen?”

“No stupid,” my brother says.

“Someone wants to be grounded another week,” my dad speculates.

“We want the Mets to win,” my brother corrects himself. “We beat them by a bigger margin this season.”

“We just faced the Miners last week, we know them better. We want the Miners to win. Right Dad?” I ask.

“There’s no win for us today. Our game is next week,” my dad says as he closes the pilot’s side door to the speeder. “Everyone buckled in?”

My dad backs the speeder out of our garage, “Today is about team bonding and learning more about our opponents,” my dad is way too happy about this statement and when we get to the stadium we find out why.

My dad had the team cook our snacks as their “bonding” project. Sometimes it seems like being a professional Limmie player is like being a kid forever. Maybe I should consider being a Limmie player after all. I mean you play games for a living and cooking is how you study. That’s way better than sitting behind a data pad all day and the pay is much better too. Life is so confusing.

The nachos are a little different. Not up to game day standards, but edible. All the players are focused on the game. No one cheers when a score is made. Sometimes there’s a reaction to a good block or a fancy play. My dad furiously takes notes on his data pad. I like hanging out with dad on a Sunday. When we get home there’s an anticipation for the week ahead.

I want the Starkillers to win for all the right reasons. So my dad gets his title. One he can remember. He says he has no recollection of the second one due to his head injury during the game. Besides being a coach is much more work than just playing one position. He’s in charge of everyone. If dad wins this title he’ll for sure be one of the most famous Limmie beings of all time. I also want this win for my Uncle Tomas and Gil Cray. I want this title for myself. I’ve sacrificed lots of time with my dad so he could be coaching this team and I want that time to mean something. I also want to win for the wrong reasons. I want a week’s vacation to Hapes and time off school. Just because I’m smart doesn’t mean I don’t like time off.

I make sure to take care of things around the house so dad can concentrate on coaching. Grandma Jenny comes over after school and I help her make dinner. I read with Cammie at night because I know she likes books. T.J. goes out a few nights, but I don’t see any evidence that he’s smoking. One night he catches me looking in his stuff and nearly punches me in the face. “Maybe you should be a prosecutor, not a lawyer,” he says angrily.

I even take it upon myself to sign me and Cazz up for an indoor Limmie league for the winter. I’m not sure if my parents will question me about the charge to their account or not. I doubt they will notice until after the game. If I’m lucky, if we win this weekend they won’t notice until after the final. Of course, I wonder what else I could get away with while my parents are so distracted. I decide not to test my luck any further.

Sunday comes before I am ready. I’m never ready for the season to end. My dad’s so happy during Limmie season. This is the first season I remember us getting this far. I was a baby when my dad won his last championship. Now I can be witness and remember for life that feeling of victory. It’s so close and somehow so far away. The Mets may have been an easy win in week 2, but they have won 5 games this season. Only one less than us. Can we keep this season going? My stomach is in my throat as we fly to the stadium to tailgate.

Everyone seems nervous. Can we finally win a play-off game in our stadium? It’s never happened in my lifetime, not even in my dad’s tenure with the team, dating all the way back to 272! That is a long time ago! When we get up to the box my dad looks confident on the sidelines. T.J. and I take seats up front. We don’t have food. We are too nervous to eat. I hold tightly onto the “Allin bag of pranks,” today’s give-away. The Starkiller marketing team having some fun with an extra home game. Let me explain:

My dad’s favorite holiday is coming up. One when you play pranks on people and eat candy. How that became a holiday I’ll never know. It’s no surprise that my dad loves it. So for today’s game every ticket holder got an orange and blue bag filled with tricks and treats. Things like a deck of sabaac cards that has extra cards and markings on the back, a deflated miniature bolo ball, a packet of sugar that contains salt, and a whoopie cushion. Yea, this bag is definitely full of things my dad loves. Including his favorite candies. I’ll probably be nervously munching on those soon. Soon can’t come soon enough. Just kick off the ball already.

Tag: None (NPC!)

Trieste likes this.
  16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Bardan_Jusik, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a cloudy and cool Playoff afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Playoff matches are set for the Conference finals and oh boy do we have some good ones..."

"That we do. Mercs of course already had their spot assured due to their winning the regular season conference title, but now they are going to have to take on the Carratos Pirates..."

"Who you hate."

"...who I hate, after they dismantled the defending champions 31 to ten, and man they look to be on a mission."

"They do, they do. They played really...great, well it's the best way to describe it. To be the champs, ya gotta beat the champs, and they certainly did that."

"Which of course I predicted."

"Yeah you did, have to give you props there."

"But Justin, what happened over in the Solo? We were both wrong there!"

"Yeah the Mets defied expectation taking it to the Miners 23 to 12..."

"Shabla NPC team."

"...I don't see any way they get past the Starkillers though..."

"After this crazy season, I wouldn't put money on that, though you're probably right."

"Crazy is that after a season defined by parity throughout the league, both playoff games were fairly lopsided affairs."

"Almost like it's all totally randomly generated..."

"Should make for an interesting playoff weekend coming up..."

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422 Let's do this, may the best team go on and beat down the Solo champ, whoever it is. :cool:

Trieste, jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• After first round playoff exit, Miners announce they will not pursue new contracts with
      • Kelly Vurgess (Hapan, Female, Defender)
      • LouEl Calaran (Lafarian, Male, Defender)
      • Marteen Riggles (Human [Bakuran], Male, Forward)
    • Miners sign Stephana Adiims, Harle Quinn, and Kyr Irvin to new three year contracts
      • Cundertol: “Kyr, Harle, and Stephana are all veteran players who are important to our long-term plans for the team”
      • Irvin will be 38 at the expiration of his contract
        • HSN analyst: “So I guess this means we should expect to see the Miners flip Irvin back to the Mercs for some younger, better midfielder in a couple of years, right?”
      • Quinn was one of the top-scoring Miners two years removed from her Ingbrand-winning rookie season
        • “I am currently busily preparing a death trap underneath the field of Bakura Gardens for opposing teams. It will involve Karkarodons. And a lava moat. And a Sarlacc….Sorry, I’m now being told that I can’t do that because Bakura Gardens is a municipally owned stadium. Darn public sector infrastructure.”
        • Reporter: “Who told you you can’t do that? Nobody came to the stage.”
        • Quinn: “The voices told me that. They’re a surprisingly efficient check on some of the wilder excesses of my behavior. Just my luck to have a well-developed frontal lobe.”
        • When met with blank stares from reporters, Quinn continued: “What? I have a BS in Psychology, ya know.”
    • Peter Tenaada expected to compete for Riggles’ starting position in training camp
      • However, sources say that the Miners have not ruled out a “high profile offensive pick” in the first round
      • Miners enter 292 draft holding a first round pick and two second round picks
    TAG: None, but also all for free agents

Bardan_Jusik and Runjedirun like this.
  19. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"It's Final Four time in Limmie Lunacy let's see how the best four teams did..."

"In the SoroSuub Bowl number seven Druckenwell Technical University outlasted number 11 Ryloth Ag and Tech University 20 to 17."

"That was such a good game."

"While in the Bank of the Core Bowl, number eight Grand Vulptur System University outblasted number five Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa 38 to 24".

"That wasn't such a good game."

"So there you have it, next week it's GVSU against DTU for all the marbles."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

Limmie Lunacy Galactic Title Game

Mining Guild Bowl: #8 Grand Vulptur System University vs. #7 Druckenwell Technical University

20. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Logan Manx-Sandin
    Storm Stadium, Euceron

This is it, the playoffs, the place we fought all season to get to, though a lot of trials somehow we made it. It is a close thing that we are here, if we had lost that last game against the Monarchs we would have been shut out again, for the third year in a row. We stood up and said no, we fought hard to get here, now we really need to fight hard. We got three road games ahead of us, bad enough we got the defending champs and the Mercs, we also have to face them away from home.

Though that isn't a problem or as much as one others would think. I mean our only Galactic cup win came after an all road schedule. We are known as road warriors but, we're going to need that grit if we're going to get through. There's an energy in the locker room similar to a lot of other games. A weight, a tension that I've felt before. We know that this is do or die time, we win here we go on, we lose that's it. We have to pack it all up and wait for next year, the next season, months of waiting for just another chance.

Not that it would be terrible. I mean just getting here would be enough for the fans, enough for the board. That however wouldn't be enough for the players, for the team. We bled to get here, we took bruises, and pains to get to this point. We can't just let it end here. We're going to give our all and still feel crushed if we fail here, there is going to be a fight, a hard one. I can feel it, we are amped up, prepared to just explode with fury and power to take this stadium by storm, if you'll forgive the pun.

The familiar chorus of cleats against duracrete herald our arrival onto the field, onto Marte Nalo Field. It took some work to separate the field and the stadium but, I got it pretty quick. Kinda glad that Schnitt didn't do that some Phran Tower Memorial Field at Arcadia Coulseum. Makes my mind hurt a little thinking about it. It also reminds me of a time I'd rather forget. I was in the thick of the fighting at Phran Tower. I'd rather not be reminded of it every time I step on the field. The memorial wall is good enough for me.

I take my place on the sideline in front of the bench, watching the starters take their places on the field. It is a thing I've seen many times by this point, they stand where they assigned tighten up like springs. They wait for the whistle to release the energy in one explosive move. My eyes drift to Cutty squaring off against Tendra Nalo, team captain and local darling, the legacy of the Storm, of the man that this field is named after. Our full forward shows no fear meeting her counterparts gaze without flinching.

The shrill cry of the whistle breaks the silence and as expected the visitors explode. Cutty in a single burst leaping up into the air beating out Nalo for the tip off. It gets passed back to Else and the play is in motion. At word one we go from 0 to 100 bursting down the field with blinding speed. The only reason I can keep up is because I designed this play, keep moving create openings and hammer them. The way they're playing they're not just hammering the openings they are hitting them with like a hovertrain, without brakes.

Else passes over to Leigh and the captain fakes a bar point to get some space between herself and her marker. With that room she rushes toward the net the defense moves to stop her but, they take their eyes off the one they should be watching, Cutty. The white hair forward finds the open space and calls for a pass. In an instant the ball is heading her way and the defense is scrambling to catch up. The cross is perfect and Cutty's shot is quick but, Magnus is on top of it. I can feel the relief of the home crowd.

It is far too early to let your guard down, if there is one thing the Pirates are known for it is our aggressive forecheck. I see the Officer defense jockeying with the forwards looking for the openings. My team isn't giving them easily, they are making the opposition work for their pass in, they're going to have to work for everything. This is a playoff game, everything is on the line and we are playing like it. Giving everything we got, holding nothing back. The Officers respond finally finding some space to try and get their offense going but, we are all over them.

From one end to the other we hound them never giving up pestering them pressuring them. It forces a bad pass or two that we capitalize on. We drive it back and get close to another goal. The play is fast intense and unrelenting, we keep the attack on from start to finish. The Officers fight back, they break through finding the gaps and making the plays but, these are only hiccups in a game that is clearly swinging our way. Even as the lead mounts we never rest, never assume that it is good enough. I won't let them. We need to make a statement, show that we didn't just luck into this place.

At the end of it all it is a resounding victory, a lopsided affair to be sure but, we move on. We go forward to fight for the Skywalker crown, against one of our greatest foes. The Mercs, it won't be easy it never is against them but, if we play like we did here, bring this same fire and fury we will be unstoppable and even if we fail it will be a game to remember, as all Conference finals are. But, I'm not thinking about losing and neither is my team. We're going to win right there in Mesh'la Vhetin, in our road whites, heads held high.

I have to believe that, it's the only way to go forward.

TAG: @jcgoble3

21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for Carratos, Mando'ade, and Ralltiir. Let's see who's going to Hapes!

Conference Finals
    (3) Carratos Pirates at (1) Mando'ade Mercs (25-5)
    (2) Stewjon Metropolitans at (1) Ralltiir Starkillers (21-31)

135th Galactic Cup Final
    Royal Limmie Grounds, Ta’a Chume’dan, Hapes

(3) Carratos Pirates vs. (1) Ralltiir Starkillers

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @Runjedirun

Vehn likes this.
  22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for: Concordia (28), Atzerri (28)

LFL Semifinals
    (3) Concordia Crusaders @ (2) Cantonica Golden Knights (0-5)
    (4) Atzerri Bandits @ (1) Thyferra Force (8-23)

Futures Cup Finals
    Royal Limmie Grounds, Ta’a Chume’dan, Hapes

Cantonica Golden Knights vs Thyferra Force

Tags: @Bardan_Jusik @SWNerd11 @galactic-vagabond422 @Jedi Gunny

Trieste and Vehn like this.
  23. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    “ . . . I guess that makes it a case of Man Bites Droid? Eh, maybe. Anyways, we’ve got a huge bit of show coming up for you today on Slick and the one and only Wild Man Gran, here on 4000.7 The Jam, HSN Coruscant,” Rico “Slick” Feathers crowed on the mic. “We’ve got Yankees coverage coming up in a bit . . . I mean, there’s nothing like the Baronx Bombers, but first up we’ve got some big news coming out of Senator camp.

In an interview, or if you can really call it that, Senators captain Leia Adama had this to say on her Bakuran upbringing when accosted by reporters after leaving a club early this morning.

“Would I ever play for the Miners? I’d be lying if I said I’ve never thought about it. It would be a big deal for me, of course, and I would love the opportunity if it came to pass before I retire . . .”

The recording cut short, allowing Slick to get back in on the mic. “Of course the sham artists at those TMZ-like shows make selective edits on their ‘interviews’, but it’s a big enough deal that is has everyone talking, including us. Thoughts, Wild Man?”

“What is the context here?” the Gran asked.

“Does Adama want out of Senators orange and want to trade it in for blue and gold?”

“We’ve had that worry for quite a few years, Slick. Remember when she got drafted? Everyone, including us, figured that she was Salis D’aar-bound as soon as her rookie contract was up. She decided to stick it out, and now here we are all these years later with her having a year left on her contract and wondering what she wants to do for the rest of her career.”

“Do you think she was saying that she wanted out? It sure sounds like she would love to play for the Miners at some point in her career . . .”

“Again, I’m a little skeptical about the snippet edit like you are, but she might be very willing to walk away. If that’s the case, then it puts the Sens in a huge bind. You don’t just have your team captain who has led your team for nearly a decade say they want a trade – that just does not happen.”

“We’ve got GM Dirxx Horstse’s reaction in his presser earlier today. Take a listen.”

“We have not been able to speak to Ms. Adama regarding comment,” the Besalisk’s voice cut in, “so I cannot give you any information regarding her thoughts. However, I will say this much – if she does not want to be here, that is completely up to her and her alone. We have to keep our team going as best we can, and hopefully that is with our star full forward in the lineup. If she decides she wants out, it is completely up to her – we would very much like to keep her around.”

“He was very mature with those comments,” Slick said. “Didn’t alienate Adama – just commented that they really want her in the lineup, and nothing more. The goal here is obvious – they don’t want a Ler’eveon Belle situation like what is going on in the Premier League right now where a player holds a team hostage over a contract.”

“Can I say something, Slick?”

“Go ahead, Wild Man.”

“Players have the right to look for the best contract they can, but at some point they can go too far. Belle is a perfect poster child for that – his team shouldn’t have to go through that mud, especially since the players who are already there feel alienated by his no-shows. It hurts the team and it hurts the fans, who I’ve always said are the real losers in any contract dispute. The Senators are definitely trying to avoid that situation by leaving it ambiguous – they aren’t trying to alienate their star player, but they also realize the reality that if Adama wants out, there is little they can do at this point.”

“And the Miners would likely be very interested, given that they need a forward right now after what they will consider to be a lost opportunity this year,” Slick commented. “I know Cundertol doesn’t normally go after big contracts, but at just one year left, does he afford not to take the risk if the hometown girl wants to go home and play at the Gardens? It might push them over the top next year.”

“I hope Adama doesn’t want out. She hasn’t been dissatisfied with her position before, and as captain it looks bad if she wants to cut and run. It would leave the team in tatters and leave lingering resentment in the locker room with her teammates.”

“If she does leave, then who steps up to replace her? The Sens made a lot of roster moves today, none of them including Adama. So what do we see if Adama leaves and there is a void at the full?”

“Morgana DuChaard was drafted years ago to be groomed as Adama’s replacement in the long run. She has, oddly enough, blossomed into a good half forward these past two years, and has gotten very few reps at the Full. She might slide over into the Full, but I’m looking more at Jahayla Sofis to take over there. She has had a long road since bursting onto the scene at the Interplanetary Cup for Team Coruscant in its first iteration, having come from a nondescript machine shop somewhere in the lower depths of town here to learn how to play Limmie professionally on Bessimir . . .”

“Does S’rily still own them? I mean, he’s coaching college now . . . seems like a conflict of interest.”

“No idea. But that’s not important . . . Sofis is still raw, but she has the athletic talent necessary to be good at the Full. She is never going to be a star forward like Stormhelm because her other talents besides scoring need a lot of work, but I think she can become a 30-point scorer at Full if she gets the opportunity. “

“Anyone else who might help out on offense?”

“Yes, a player on Thyferra. Lamar . . . er . . . Leopard Jackson. He’s got all the tools he needs to run circles around defenders. His arm, which was the knock on him coming out of college, still needs work, but he has made a lot of strides over the past two years with Thyferra. You have to hand it to Pamila Korthe for developing Jackson to become a really good player down there. They’re going to contend for another LFL title this week, too, which will allow our listeners here to see Jackson first-hand before he likely makes the Sens next year. Seriously, watch him. He’s going to be a good one someday when he gets more reps.”

“The Force really have been a good feeder system for the Sens. They really know how to develop talent down there.”

“Horstse was smart in retaining Mirik Lopaki as his Assistant GM when he came in two years ago,” Wild Man continued. “She knows everything about developing players and keeps a hawk’s eye on the Force’s roster by developing growth plans for their young prospects. It helps to have someone like that on staff who just knows how to get the most from young players.”

“Too bad her husband couldn’t keep coaching. He had something going there that is now sorely absent.”

“It’s too early to give up on Tenten and his staff. They had a tough year last year in close games.”

“As the pundits like to say, they were good, but atrocious at being clutch,” Slick said with a sigh. “That really cost them, and they will want to bounce back this year.”

“It will be much harder if they don’t have Adama. They will then have to go forward with other options at forward. Stormhelm will have to shoulder more of the load, which we will have to see if it can work out. She’s not the star caliber talent that Adama is.”

“Stormhelm is the most underrated, and I mean criminally underrated, player on this team. She plays hard and does all the little things correctly. That’s the kind of player you want from a first-round pick like she was, and she can teach the younger players how to work on complex blocking assignments. Not everyone can shoot willy-nilly and be a good player without playing the fundamentals.”

“If Adama leaves, do the Sens go forward with their first pick in the Draft?”

“Depends on who is available on the Board. I haven’t seen the Draft chatter yet, so I don’t know who is available or who might pan out. I’m more focused right now on what the Sens do with the players they already have. Jackson deserves a look, as does a few more of those Thyferra players.”

“Snap judgment, Wild Man. Does Adama leave?”

“Depends on how badly Cundertol wants her. If she does want to leave Coruscant, then Cundertol will likely not hesitate to bring her in. I doubt Horstse will be able to receive a king’s ransom in exchange for Adama, but anything at this point would be better than a twitchy team captain who wants out. If she doesn’t want out, then no trade gets done. But I think a full-field press by the Miners, given how poorly they did this year compared to past efforts, would definitely sway her opinion on the subject.”

“So you think we may have seen the last of Leia Adama in a Senators uniform?”

“Possibly. Again, we need to see what happens when Adama finally makes a public comment on the subject.”

“You’ve heard it here first. Anyways, we’ve got some Yankees coverage coming up, but first, Pongo gives us his review for Rocky, Five-Thousand. Pongo?”

TAG: No One, though @Trieste will definitely enjoy the Miner-related bits

24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Coruscant Senators announce player transactions
      • Bas Wren (Mandalorian/Human, Female, Corner Forward) retires to begin lucrative big game hunting career opportunity.
      • Colleen Iver (Human, Female, Defensive Back) released to free agency
      • Ant’ope (Hapan, Female, Midfielder) released to free agency
      • Changeferabukk (Wookiee, Male, Midfielder) released to free agency
      • Snaggalodus "Snag" Passte (Karkarodon, Male, Corner Forward) released to free agency
      • Marty Reubyn (Human, Male, Forward) released to free agency
    TAG: @Jedi Gunny

Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Chapter 22 Winning!

The Mets open the game with a strong opening drive. Noah Trevor is left wide open. The whole stadium silences as the shot is made. Cliff Tuff at the ready. Tuff makes the save! Several fans blow up their whoopie cushions and sit on them to emphasize the fail. My dad loses all concentration on the sideline and laughs. Who wouldn’t? It’s just funny, the opposing team failed to score and our stadium makes fart noises.

Tomas, my uncle Tomas, doesn’t miss a beat. He receives a pass from Wiskey who has recovered the deflection and he dribbles around two defenders to find a wide open Sancheese. It’s Sancheese who puts the first three points on the board. The Mets aren’t deterred yet. They tie it on the next drive. It’s a pretty tense game for the first 20 minutes or so. Finally, just before half time we get a 2 score lead. A 4 point lead, is a 4 point lead and I’m pretty excited.

My mom and the other adults in the box are still visibly nervous. Yet she still hasn’t gotten tense enough to forget being “mom”. Early in the game I started munching on candy and she yelled at me in front of everyone “No More.” Now I’m looking up to see if I can sneak some more and she gives me this glare. Seriously mom, it’s the Solo Conference Championship game. Relax and have some fun!

When it does become obvious we are going to pull this off. Or I should say the Starkillers are going to win this game. We start going down to the field in shifts. Uncle Ryan and his family are first out of the box. My mom, my siblings and I are next. On the lift ride down my mom is wiping tears from her eyes. She’s trying to hide it, but it’s pretty obvious. “What’s the matter mommy?” Cammie asks.

“Happy tears,” my mom says. “I didn’t know what they were until I got old.”

“You’re not old,” I say. My mom is just about the youngest looking mom I know.

“That’s sweet Ezra,” she says. She gives me a squeeze and I want the lift to go faster. I don’t know why, or how it got to be. Somehow over the last year or so I’ve gotten away from hugs. I don’t like to be touched at all. Once the lift doors open I forget all about being uncomfortable. We quickly walk through the locker room which is already being prepped for celebrations. A stadium worker hands me a hat it says “291 Solo Conference Champions”. I put it on my head and follow my mom through the tunnel. She’s walking so fast I can barely keep up.

Out on the sidelines it’s pure chaos. My mom runs ahead to be with my dad. They point at his data pad and make it look like they are making the final call of the game together. I hold my little sister’s hand as the final buzzer sounds. We take a step back and let the confetti fall on us. Players are running around to congratulate each other. Olidiipo climbs on Lofykam’s back. Lofykam parades around. Palmer Sancheese is kneeling on the sideline in prayer. I can’t find my parents so I look up at the large screens, only to see them kissing. Yuck, really.

I cover my sister’s eyes. “You don’t need to see that,” I tell her. Somehow T.J. has recruited himself to help Uncle Tomas and Cliff Tuff pour Skimmer Ade on Dad’s head. T.J. distracts dad while Tomas and Cliff sneak up behind him. I see dad’s shoulders reject the cold liquid and a bright smile as he splashes some towards my mother.

My dad takes my mom’s hand and they run to the middle of the field together to shake hands with the Mets head coach. All the players are giving their condolences to Mets players within seconds and my Uncle Richard suggests us kids go ahead into the locker room. The celebration is similar to the one we had a few weeks ago when the Starkillers clinched their play-off berth. A lot of alcohol is sprayed around and puddles up around our feet. Not much is consumed and soon I realize why. We have a shuttle to catch in a few short hours. None of us packed, cause you don’t want to jinx anything and now we have to scramble.

My dad’s closest assistant has a list of things for players to do before they meet up at the spaceport in, get this, 2 hours. “Don’t forget your data pads and don’t forget clean underwear!” He says in parting. There’s a chuckle, but I’m not sure it’s really that funny. How the hell am I supposed to pack for a week away from home in 2 hours?

I do the best I can. First, I pack my only suit cause I hope we get to go the awards ceremony. After that a few favorite pairs of jeans, some work-out clothes, lots of underwear, my favorite t-shirts, socks, and two different jackets.

After that I begin some emails to my teachers at school. I can keep up with the reading, but I’m not sure what to do about tests I’ll be missing. Probably take them when I get back. I thought going away for a week was going to be fun, now it’s stressing me out and to make matters worse my mom comes in. “Can I talk to you?” She asks.

“Yea, sure,” I say.

“You know anything about this four hundred and twenty credits charged to my account last week?” She spins around her data pad and shows me the screen.

Of course, I do, that’s the charge I made to sign Cazz and I up for the indoor Limmie league. “I didn’t want to bother you last week," I explain. "I knew you were busy prepping your understudy in case the Starkillers won. I knew Dad was busy coaching. So, I signed me and Cazz up for Indoor Limmie.”

“How did you get my password?” My mom asks.

“Mom you use your Birthday. That’s one of the most hackable passwords there is,” I say.

“I should smack your ass!” My mom says. Which is something she says, but she’s never done it.

“Mom I’m worried about Lupé,” I say trying to change the subject. Our neighbor has agreed to come fill up her food dish and changer her litter. Still I really am worried.

“Don’t change the subject on me young man. I’ll think of an appropriate punishment. But I know your busy with a trip to Hapes this week. So, I’ll just wait and tell you what it is when we get back.”

My mom gives me this look. It says, “Now you know how I feel.” I should have asked her before making the charge. She wasn’t too busy to make the payment herself.

My humiliation doesn’t end there either. “What did you do?” My dad asks as he takes my suitcase from me to stack in the speeder trunk about 20 minutes later.

“Nothing.” I say.

“Your mother was upset. You didn’t do nothing. You did something,” my dad says. I don’t want to talk about it. I just walk away from him and go get in my regular middle seat. My dad’s face appears in front of mine again. “You musta done something really bad.” He says.

I nod. It’s bad and I’ll admit it’s bad.

“So tell me what you did,” my dad prompts as my sister and her suitcase make their way through the garage toward the trunk. “Just put it down back there Cammie. I’ll get it in a minute.” My dad calls to her.

“I took some credits to pay for me and Cazz to play Indoor Limmie,” I say quietly.

“Wow, you stole credits. That is bad.” My dad just leaves it at that and goes to put Cammie’s suitcase in the trunk. Soon Mom and T.J. come out with their stuff. My dad quickly puts the remaining bags in the trunk and we head for the spaceport.

There’s two separate shuttles. One for the team and one for personnel and family. Or something like that. My whole family gets on the team shuttle. Well my immediate family. My parents have a private bunk in my dad’s office area. He’s the coach and he gets his own quarters. Us kids get bunks out with the team. It seems cool. The equipment manager hands out tea and a pill to everyone. Even us. “Are we supposed to take this?” Cammie asks.

T.J. and I looking at it. “It’s melatonin,” Uncle Tomas calls. “It’ll help you sleep,” we are still looking at him. “Take it,” he says. Cammie and T.J. obediently take the pill. I try to slip mine under my pillow, but Tomas is watching. “Trust me if you don’t sleep on this flight you will be tired all week. Take the pill.”

I close my eyes and swallow the pill. The next thing I remember is waking up. I wake to the smell of breakfast. We all roll up our bunks and head to the mess hall. The Starkillers have a cook on board and plenty of fresh ingredients. No toast with nut butter. There’s sausages, fresh fruit, potatoes and lots of caf. Unfortunately, my parents are there to make sure I don’t get any caf.

We are about a half day’s out from Hapes. The players take turns running on treadmills between watching film. I notice how intent and focused the team is on getting ready for the next game already. Celebrating the conference championship is clearly over. Up until now I had heard the Pirates had won, but I really hadn’t paid attention to how much they had won by. 20 points! Yeesh, no wonder the Starkillers were already hard at work. The Pirates had already beaten us once this season. The final is going to be tough. Like maybe we might not win.

To take my mind off that scary thought, I read the emails from my teachers. Most of them tell me to enjoy the trip with my family and say I can catch up when I get back. My math teacher wants to know if I can take my test while I’m on the trip. I just arrange a time for the test to be sent to my data pad and send it back when I’m done. The program won’t allow other programs on my data pad to open so theoretically I can’t cheat. Technically I could have another data pad next to me to cheat with, but I wouldn’t do that. I ask my mom what our agenda is, so I can try to schedule this test.

“Are you serious?” She asks.

Even my mom thinks this is a bad idea. We decide on a morning. The test should take less than an hour. It puts a damper on my trip. Not as much as waiting for that punishment though. That one is a doozy that is going to be on my mind the whole time. It turns out that T.J. has to write a paper on Hapan culture for one of his classes. Being a kid is supposed to be fun. Someone should give that memo to our parents and teachers.

When we land everyone gets hotel room assignments. My parents get a private room, sorta, there’s a connecting door to a room me and my siblings are supposed to share. Turns out one of us has to sleep on a sofa and two of us have to share a bed. We make Cammie take the sofa since she’s the smallest. My dad takes the team over to the field for a few hours. Maybe just to look, maybe to actually practice. Mom takes us to a park nearby. Geoff has tagged along on the trip and he comes with us to the park. I think it makes my dad feel better to know someone is watching us. T.J. and I are too old for playgrounds. We pass a bolo ball. It’s pretty nice to be off the shuttle.

Dinner is at the hotel. The team sits at one table together and us families sit at little tables off to one side. After dinner T.J. wants to go out and look around the city. I agree. Mom says we have to go to bed. My mom never goes to bed early, I guess that is unless she’s on Hapes. The next morning, we find her doing Yoga in her room. Dance is hard on the body, to keep from injuries my mom does a lot of Yoga. My dad is off somewhere private watching tape.

Once mom is done with her Yoga we collect Geoff and go get breakfast. She leads us down a sidewalk and none of us bother to ask where we are going. I just figure we are going to watch the team practice. The stadium is up ahead, but we turn left. “Where are we going?” I finally ask.

“The History Museum,” my mom answers.

There are three simultaneous groans. “Oh, come on,” my mom encourages. “A little culture never hurt anyone. T.J. has a paper to write and it won’t hurt you any to learn something on this trip.”

My mom picks up the pace and us kids slow down. Geoff takes large exaggerated slow steps. He looks ridiculous. I think he doing it on purpose. The museum appears on the next block. A big castle like building that stretches across the whole block. I realize we are going to be here all day. “What about media day?” T.J. asks.

“What about it?” My mom asks. “Are you playing in a game this weekend? Does the media have questions for you? No. You have a paper to write and high school to graduate. Let’s go,” she says pulling open the gigantic museum door.

The museum is full of prominent women. Cammie runs ahead to admire the dress on the Queen statue in the lobby. “She so pretty,” my sister says.

“Isn’t she,” my mom agrees. The whole building makes me feel creepy. There are very few men in the building or spoken of. The ones who are shown are slaves. I can’t stop imagining if I had been born here, not that long ago, I would have had no control of what I wanted to do with my life. Some woman ordering me around. Probably forcing herself on me. I looked for a men’s room and ran. I stopped just short of puking when Geoff arrived to make sure I was okay.

“What’s up little man?” He asks when I come out of the stall.

“This place gives me the creeps,” I say.

“It’s a history museum,” Geoff says. Clearly, it’s not upsetting him.

“I don’t like the history on this planet. I feel sick. Maybe mom will let me go back to the room,” I put my hand on my stomach. I’m not lying. It feels queasy.

Geoff puts his hand on my shoulder. “History can be disturbing,” he agrees. “The best reason to study it is so we don’t repeat the same mistakes in our future. Was there a battle scene back there that upset you?”

I shake my head. I suddenly realize no one told Geoff I’m gay. Not that anyone who’s not me might understand what I’m thinking right now. I wish my dad was here. He’s just easier to talk to. He wouldn’t like a planet ruled by women either. Not cause he’s against women’s rights. He lets my mom control all our finances and make lots of decisions around our house. No, he is just easier to talk to about stuff like this. I mean this is really private stuff. Stuff I don’t want to share with my bodyguard.

“Your right,” I say deciding that I need to be strong today. Lots of the museum bothers me, so I find a room that tells the history of the discovery of space travel. There are men who help build the ships. I admire their muscular bodies and put it out of my mind that they might be forced to do things with their female masters.

Later in rear of the museum I find the liberation of the male area. Where Hapes is today and how men are becoming more and more equal to women. I like this room. There’s law cases to read. New legislation being passed. By the time we break for lunch I’m not feeling sick anymore.

I do have a question for my mom though, because she and my sister seem to be loving this museum trip. “Mom, do you wish you lived here back when women controlled men?” I ask as I finish off my bowl of fruit.

“It’s a nice fantasy,” my mom answers. “To be honest though I think the perfect society doesn’t exist because in every society some beings have been oppressed. Either alien or skin color or sex, or in some cases human even. An entire group of beings not being allowed to contribute to a culture robs the culture of something.”

After hearing my mom’s answer I decide it was wrong of me to keep Geoff in the dark earlier. “Geoff, a while back I told my mom and my brother and sister that I’m gay. I realized today I never told you. So I uh, I want you to know.”

Geoff grins widely. He puts down the bottle of water he was drinking and tells me, “I can’t say I’m surprised. I am glad you finally told me. Is that why the kids at school give you a hard time?”

“Sometimes,” I admit. They also give me a hard time cause I’m half Correllian and because I’m a nerd. The odds are stacked against me.

“You don’t have to tell people your gay,” T.J. says interrupting my thoughts. “You are wearing a pink t-shirt and it’s two sizes too small.”

Neither of those is true. The shirt is peach and it’s not too small. It just fits. T.J.’s t-shirt it two sizes too big. “There’s a zoological park a few blocks from here,” my mother says before I can retaliate or before T.J. says something worse. I thought we’d look at that this afternoon.

Everyone agrees. A few times as we are walking and see a large cat I remember Lupé. Mostly though I think about how much my dad would love this park. He’d make faces at the monkeys or maybe he’d pretend to walk like a chicken and bob his head back and forth.

Maybe when this final is over we can take a real vacation. A family vacation.

Tags: @galactic-vagabond422

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Jedi Gunny, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.