main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Star Wars Elite League Limmie [A Sports-based RPG, New Players Welcome]

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Lucie Vigo

The sight of Ty on the holo made Lucie feel guilty for indulging in so much wine. He bought her the bottle in the lobby. He always told her he didn't mind if she partook in some drink. Ty never drank. Lucie thanked her lucky stars. Ty got in enough trouble sober and he knew it. Lucie corked the bottle and put it in the cooler. She sat through another hour of analysis. Or maybe she flipped through her social media feed on her data pad while trying to pay attention to the draft. Finally, Ty was back on screen. His tie still in place. Handsome as ever. Lucie wished this draft would go faster. "With the 11th pick of the 295 draft the Ralltiir Starkillers select Niclot'us , Republican University." A defender from Richards alma mater. Big surprise, Lucie thought.

Tag: @Jedi Gunny

Trieste likes this.
  2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

May 20, 2008
    "With the 12th pick of the 295 Elite League Draft, the Coruscant Senators select Demi Mayne, Full Back from the Druckenwell Technical University."

TAG: @Vehn

Runjedirun likes this.
  3. Vehn

Vehn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    "WIth the 13th pick of the 295 ELL Draft the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers select Tarisse Zel, Forward, Royal College of Hapes!"

Tag: @Trieste

Runjedirun likes this.
  4. Trieste

Trieste Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2010
    IC Post
    Hanna City, Chandrila

"With the fourteenth pick of the draft, the Bakura Miners select El Baggano III, Midfielder, Atalanta University," Quinn Cundertol announced. With that, he not only had the top forward of the draft, but the top midfielder. Did the fact that two years ago a ranked midfielder from the Bak10 had gone undrafted, only to win both the Ingbrand, the Numifolis, and last year's Galactic Cup, with this draft being on Chandrila have anything to do with his decision?

"Most likely," Baggano said, looking straight at the reader. "What? Liz does this all the time and it's cool."

"That other team is on the clock," Cundertol said.

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik

Vehn, Jedi Gunny and Runjedirun like this.
  5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post
    Hanna City, Chandrila

"And, to be clear," Commissioner Lokensgaard said, "'that other team' would be the Euceron Officers, recipients of the Mercs' third round draft pick by trade."

Cundertol just shrugged as he recline at the Miners' draft table to watch the rest of the picks. "They are an other team," he observed, trying to make something right out of something wrong.

TAG: @jcgoble3

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2010
    IC: Aebatt Zargana

Aebatt came out onto the stage. "Looks like somebody forgot to send us the draft location this year. Just because we don't declare normally doesn't mean we don't have an interest. Fortunately, I did some digging and found it at the last minute.

"Anyway, with the fifteenth selection of the 295 Draft, the Euceron Officers select Karcus Ardon, Goalkeeper, Bilbringi University."

The 293 Helmsman winner and two-time Ruy Gey Award winner came out with a relieved look on his face and a loose tie. He had obviously begun worrying that he wouldn't get picked at all. A Helmsman winner slipping to the third round? Unthinkable. Then again, he was a year removed from that, and had fallen off a bit his senior year.

"The Carratos Pirates are on the clock."

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422

Trieste, Runjedirun and Vehn like this.
  7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Coruscant Senators release two players as free agents
      • Alixx Obechen (Human, Male, Corner Forward)
      • Greco Trachia (Human, Male, Defensive Back)
    • Two Senator players opt to become free agents
      • Jamaal Dekaard (Human, Male, Half Back)
      • Dabbas Krul (Fondorian, Male, Forward)
    TAG: @Jedi Gunny

Vehn and Runjedirun like this.
  8. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Leigh Cavanugh
    O'Phaz, Carratos, Before the Draft

"Alright, Alright Rho," Leigh threw up her hands, "I'll do it all the interviews but, there is one thing I don't want to be asked."

"Shoot," Rho asked though Leigh could hear the smile on her face.

"I don't want to hear one question about my love life, no questions if I'm dating anyone, seeing anyone, interested in anyone, and certainly no questions about the rumors between me and coach Copin."

"That's quite the no ask zone, I mean you won't be giving much for the gossip columns to work with."

"Screw the gossip columns, they're nothing, but lies and slander anyway."

"Libel technically, but haven't you heard of no bad press?"

"I just don't want to talk about that Rho, my male counterparts don't have to answer this crap, why do I have to put up with it."

"I'm just keeping our options open, you are still single, despite everyone else around you at least with a partner of some description…"

"Rho…"

"Not that there's anything wrong with that. You live your life. But, the public would be curious as to why in all your years you never found someone, or at the very least had a fling."

"And if I'm not interested in any of that, and want to keep my private life private?"

"That is your choice, but you might want to consider other ways of handling it than avoiding it entirely. Nature and the public hates a vacuum. If you don't give them anything they will fill it with anything they want. That can come back to hurt you…"

"I just don't think my personal life should be a topic of public comment."

"It is a hard thing keeping things private when people want to know everything about their favorite celebrity."

"I'm not a celebrity."

"Oh but you are darling, sports stars are as much a celebrity as Holostars, just to different groups. And Leigh, I can't believe I'm telling you this but, you are a star player, there for by the transitive property of fame you are a celebrity...even if you don't live or act like one."

"Just, can you make sure no one asks me about it...I just don't want to deal with it." There was a very good reason she didn't want to talk about it. She didn't want to get into or dredge up the past, a painful memories of almost crossing the line, and then carrying a torch for far too long. She'd worked hard to quell those feelings inside her even getting past them. She just worried if she brought it up, that old wound would open up again. This same fear kept her from letting others that close to her. The only person that knew was Logan, and as far as she knew he kept her secret.

_____
    Draft Hall, Hana City, Chandrila

Starkillers take a defender, no shock there, Courscant picks up a full back, possibly adding depth, or looking to develop a promising player in the LFL. Second round players didn't necessary have the initial flash of first round picks. They could still break out and surprise people, but they can also be good players to send down to the lower leagues to get some experience and be insurance against injury.

Sliding into the third round Leigh had to hold in a laugh at Cundertol being maybe a little too vague on who was on the clock. The Officers pick a goalie something so rarely picked, but necessary. Soon it was back around to the Pirates.

"With the 16th pick of the 295 ELL Draft the Carratos Pirates Select Pas'cal Siam Midfielder, University of Carratos." Leigh nodded her head Lucy Van Pelt and Jai Mudros had been sitting on the bench behind the might DragonBlaster that had dominated for the past decade. Lucy was maybe a little out of practice and having a third backup Middie could be of use to the team. Though it was clear it was another case of 'Go Local'. Another Gambler, Logan would be happy about that.

"The Ralltiir Starkillers are on the clock."

TAG: @Runjedirun

Trieste and Jedi Gunny like this.
  9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Bakura Miners loan newly-drafted Natylee Coglin and El Baggano III to Cloud City Sky Captains for 295.
      • Sky Captains will pay their salaries in proportion to the number of games they play for them, but Miners retain right to recall players at any time.
      • Cundertol: “This is a mutually beneficial agreement. Our players get in-game experience, Cloud City gets elite talent.”
    • HSN analyst: “Once again, Cundertol is being lazy and rather than staff and run an LFL team, he just ships their surplus players to Cloud City when they have them. They should be ashamed of themselves. Bison would love to affiliate with them again.”
      • Baggano: “I quite like it actually. Won’t rain as much when you’re above the clouds.”
    • Head coach Jon Draper says that the team has still not selected a new assistant captain in the wake of Jo Pawvelski.
      • “We’ll have an assistant captain when someone is ready for that mantle.”
      • Horst Penn: “Being assistant captain is super difficult. You have to do almost everything, mainly because I don’t do anything as captain.”
    TAG: None

10. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I completely forgot to put this here. Better late than never, right?

GM Approved (Again)!

Name: Galin S'rily
    Species: Bothan
    Birth Year: 273
    Homeworld: Coruscant
    Relation to Team: Rookie Corner Back
    General Appearance: [​IMG]
    Features blue streaks in his fur at random locations.

Bio: Being the son of one of the Senators' biggest legends was never an easy task. Trying to make a name for oneself was a challenge unto its own.

Never the biggest or the strongest, Galin always found that he had to put in extra time to get places on the Limmie field. He started as a forward before switching to corner back when the realization came during youth ball that he just wasn't a gifted scorer. Initially bummed about the position switch, a summer working with Senator great Christine Gamble helped launch his career at the position. Diligent and careful to hone his craft, he worked his way up from disappointed pre-teen to starting on his high school varsity squad his freshman year.

After a standout high school career, Galin went on to play for his father at the Coruscant Polytechnic Institute, a program his father had turned around years earlier into a perennial playoff contender. Though the results were somewhat rocky, the Mean Green ended ranked #25 in the Galaxy his senior year behind an excellent defense. The All-Conference accolades were only the beginning, as he was named a finalist for the prestigious Helmsman Award. The stakes had risen considerably, even from what the young Bothan thought possible.

Now, after following his lifelong dream and signing with the Senators, he finds himself struggling to capture a roster spot in a crowded defensive backfield. To make the final roster, he must once again scrap for every inch of respect that he can get, because the Elite League does not give out freebies.

Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  11. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Lucie Allin (or Vigo or whatever I call her at the beginning of each post. Apparently I keep forgetting she changed her name when she got married.)

Wait! What? Did I hear my husband correctly? I must have had more wine than I thought. OMG, an Ewok really is accepting the jersey. It's discrimination, do they only make the jersey's in human sizes? Ace doesn't seem to mind, he pulls the jersey over his head and wears it as he waltzes off the stage. The bottom of the jersey literally drags both in front of and behind the Ewok.

Tag: @Jedi Gunny

jcgoble3 and Jedi Gunny like this.
  12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Galin S'rily

"With the last pick in the Draft, the Coruscant Senators select Laseema Ven, Goaltender from Cloud City University," D'ana Themyscira said at the podium. She still stood on crutches from the gruesome injury that had taken her out of the Galactic Cup Final and had completely demoralized her teammates in the loss.

Galin, however, was not closely following the Draft. He was home, trying to rummage up enough cables to plug into the amplifiers for that night's gig. He checked in on his mobile device. A goaltender? he thought to himself. It was no secret that incumbent goalie Fam Keth was holding out for a lucrative long-term deal, and it was clear that Senators ownership was looking to give themselves an insurance policy with the best goalie prospect rated in the HSN Big Board rankings.

And with that, he gave the pick no further mind. After all, why would he care about the new Ms. Irrelevant or what she could possibly bring to the team when he had a gig to play?

"Hey Galin, you get that guitar ready yet?" he heard his brother Ronny yell from the other room.

"Almost there! Gotta get the cables ready!"

They had a show to play.

jcgoble3, Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  13. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Mand'alor - Manager of EUC, SWC and Anthology/BtS star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Wow, the off season has flown by, pro limmie camps are in full swing and the pre season rankings for college bolo ball have finally been announced..."

"Some real head scratchers there..."

"Yeah no kidding."

"Last year's champions, the Barons of Cloud City U start the year ranked just 14th after losing a majority of their championship squad to graduation..."

"And the draft."

"That was an elite team built on teamwork, can't believe that many kids stayed together that long, but it worked for them that last year."

"Meanwhile the number one spot is held by Norand University of Carratos..."

"Lot's of good players coming out of Carratos lately as we've seen with the Pirates."

"I hate those guys."

"The number two spot is held by the Golden Bears of UBSD which should come as a welcome surprise out on Bakura after a down year last year for the Bak10."

"Yeah, they should be an improved squad no doubt, but starting at number two?"

"I'm not seeing it either, but maybe it's a Cloud City thing, take their licks one year and come out strong the next."

"Meanwhile, the hometown KMI Warriors start the year ranked number 8..."

"That's a playoff team if I ever saw one."

"While last year's runner's up, the StarBucks of The Ord Sabaok University round out the top ten..."

"Yeah baby!"

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

HSN Pre-season Top 25

1. Norand University, Carratos
    2. UB Salis D'aar
    3. University of Csilla
    4. University of Agamar
    5. Druckenwell Technical University
    6. Orn Free Ta Central Academy, Ryloth
    7. University of Onderon Rupings
    8. Keldabe Military Institute (Mandalore)
    9. Bilbringi University
    10. The Ord Sabaok University
    11. Tiarest University
    12. Coruscant Polytechnic Institute
    13. Chandrila A&M University
    14. Cloud City University, Bespin
    15. Ralltiir University
    16. Taanab A&M University
    17. University of Zeltros
    18. Ryloth Ag and Tech University
    19. UB Telaan Valley
    20. Celwis System University
    21. University of Garos (Garos IV)
    22. University of Kashyyyk
    23. Valorum University
    24. Concord War College
    25. Derrling College of Technology

Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Editorial in Galactic Sports Weekly leads with the headline: The Miners’ New Speciesism.
    • “This season marks the 25th anniversary of Quinn Cundertol taking the helm of the Bakura Miners and he made an immediate mark by bringing non-Humans onto a team that hadn’t had one for over half a century--but Human High limmie is alive and well on a planet that likes to view itself as the progressive leader of the Outer Rim.”
    • “First off, don’t even try being a non-Human male if you want to play for the Miners. They don’t have any. Guess they’re afraid to have them walking down the streets of Salis D’aar where they might scare the Humans.”
    • “Want to be a Miner forward? You’ll probably want to be a Zeltron female, which now make up half their forwards and are the majority of their non-Human players. Zeltron females have long been viewed as ‘acceptable’ because of how close they are to baseline humans.”
    • “Same story with the Chiss forward Minnerva, who Cundertol specifically acquired from the Csilla Chimeras.”
    • “Only Angel Sorano on the Miners doesn’t look like a Human--and guess what? Her contract is up at the end of the season. Considering she isn’t as talented as Jo Pawvelski, I’ll give you one guess.”
    • “Cundertol and the Trieste family should be ashamed of themselves. Cundertol might say he’s drafting ‘the best limmie players,’ but he’s clearly just drafting the players he views as acceptable, letting a talented forward like Jo Pawvelski walk, and catering to the most reactive elements in Bakuran society.”
    • “On top of it all, Cundertol is on the wrong side of the game of limmie. Chandrila’s Galactic Cup team had a Bakuran on it, but it also had 7 non-near-Human players on it too. As long as the Miners cling to their misguided belief that Humans and Near-Humans are better at limmie, they’ll keep turning in losing records.”
    TAG: None

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  15. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    Comments:
    Burgundy&Gold: See, this is what we've been talking about, the league is human dominated and non-humans will always been a second rate. There are more Non-humans than just Zeltrons, Chiss, and Pantorans. You're just scared, you worry that if you give Non-humans a shot your precious ELL. You worry that we'll do better than you that we will replace you. You're just holding on to what power you have left here. Soon we will come and we will tople you. BANDITS BANDITS CAN'T BE BEAT.

0Utl4w: It's not just the Miners, only 4 teams in the ELL have more than 6 Non-humans (Excluding Zeltrons, Chiss, and Pantorans) on their starting lineups. The Smugglers are even worse NO non-humans on their starting lineup. They're the real problem, always knew they were more than just a dirty team. They're speciesist

Desperado: Look at the Bandits no humans on the starting lineup, and look at us in the LFL, always in the Championship conversation, always near the top. The data is clear Non-Humans>Humans. It's just science.

Bandito: <Comment Deleted>

SP: <Comment Deleted>

RH: <Comment Deleted>

Trieste likes this.
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Mand'alor - Manager of EUC, SWC and Anthology/BtS star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny and warm Taungsday afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz over on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Training camp is over and opening day is right around the corner!"

"Yeah it's amazing how quickly an off season can fly by..."

"Seems like just a couple of weeks ago the Pats brought home a championship, right folks?"

"...but it did and here we are ready to start off a new season, and it's been one of change for our hometown Mercs."

"Yeah has it ever, camp seemed half empty what with all the changes..."

"Seemed weird to really need the extra folks from the Crusaders there to hold a full scrimmage."

"Yeah it did, but apparently it's all part of the new directives from the front office to make the Mercs a leaner, more efficiently run machine..."

"Came at the cost of more than a few reserves being released to free agency during the off season as now the Mercs won't be going with a full slate of reserves, but rather one reserve player responsible for multiple positions."

"Yeah you've got the Wookiee rookie Torbacca who will handle all the reserve deep back spots..."

"That's going to be tough for the rookie, but at least it means he should get plenty of playing time whenever a starter needs a blow."

"Only issue is going to be injury back there..."

"Yeah not sure what the Mercs contingency plan is regarding injuries..."

"Bardan will probably not write any injuries into this season is all. You know how he likes simple."

"Meanwhile veteran back Larry Johns will handle the backup duties for the three half back positions."

"He played for so long with the now retired Doubleday and Rooker, going to be a tough ask for him to cover their duties in addition to his own."

"I just think it's going to be a lot less substitution on the defensive end going forward is all. The starters won't come out as often and when one does it will be for a shorter rest than we've seen in the past."

"Yeah, that makes sense with the new roster makeup."

"In the center of the pitch Mercs holdover Bosewick Tachalla will handle the backup midfielder duties..."

"See now that makes more sense to me. He will only have the potential to cover two spots, so he will get a bit more rest between appearances, and the chance of covering for an injured player is a lot less than having to cover three backup spots."

"Yeah I'm not going to argue that reasoning one bit. Of course it's not as much an issue on the offensive end either as we have two backups for the forward spots in Steen Carlton and Devanti Parkwaad..."

"Both are free agents at year's end Randy. I'd look for the Mercs to release at least one of them then if this trend continues going forward."

"While at the reserve half forward slots we still have Tygus Gra'hac and Collyeen Sekoiyah under contract."

"Maybe Kor'le intends to substitute more often on the offensive end than the defensive one, but it still seems odd to me."

"Yeah, could be. Of course we still have the one backup for goalkeeper with the Trandoshan Blue..."

"I think fans would riot if the Mercs went into the season without a backup for between the pipes..."

"Well, it's the fans I think who are in a way responsible for this change to begin with."

"Huh?"

"Mercs are publicly owned by the Mando'ade, and as has been reported, they've been running budget deficits for the last half decade."

"Yeah, the costs of keeping together that championship squad together continued to rise with every championship..."

"And contracts extensions for every potential free agent."

"...now I think the Mercs front office is looking to make a bit of that money back, and put some in the pockets of the ownership..."

"That is every single Mandalorian out there."

"...while still hopefully putting a quality product on the field."

"Going to be a tough job to thread the needle like that, but if anyone can do it it's this front office."

TAG: no one. Good luck to all Player teams this upcoming season, and a pox on all NPC teams.

17. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

IC Lucie Allin

Twenty-three years ago the Starkillers were brought back into the ELL. The beings in Ralltiir were excited to have an ELL team again. It was easy to fill the seats, so easy my father built a new bigger stadium. Today those seats are harder to fill than ever. No matter how much we push the use of public transportation, beings like to fly their own speeders. This is partially our own fault for creating a tailgating culture at the stadium. Food and beverage is expensive, but so is paying employees to prepare and serve it. Your own couch is undeniably more comfortable than a stadium seat. With technology you can pause a game to use the fresher, if you’re in the stadium you not only miss part of the game, you may have to stand in line and miss even more of the game.

So why am I blabbering on about all this? I have a VIP pass that expresses me to the front of the lot on game days and my family owns the fanciest suite in the building where we can stretch our legs out in front of us with own private fresher. I should think it’s obvious, getting beings in the building earns us credits. At least I’m sure that’s what you’re thinking. Truth is it’s more than credits. It’s a lifestyle and a pastime that I’m trying to preserve here. My father gave his life for this game and my husband has come close. My son’s play, my brother plays, I spent precious years of my career dancing as an entertainer for the fans of this team. This team and this sport mean the Galaxy to me.

This season’s strategy? Well in case you weren’t watching the draft this year we drafted all non-human players. Most of the younger generations will welcome our efforts to diversify our team. They’ll also loudly point out that our coaching staff remains mostly human. I’d like to take a moment to let them know the heir to this team is Ithorian and that the coach on Tatooine is a Wookiee. Coming from me a Ralltiirian human those words are meaningless, and I know it.

There are several other strategies of course. Such as family meal plans, or if you prefer group meal plans. Bring your kids or your friends. Any group of 4 or more can get unlimited food and drink at any one of our concession stands for a fixed price. We’ve made a deal with public transport to discount shuttle prices on game day. There are three separate diverse dance teams. Our original dance team, a juniors dance team and a seniors dance team. Don’t ask me which one I qualify. That’s not funny!

Our first game of the season is getting more press than we could ask for. Problem is our first game of the season is on Carratos. Not here on Ralltiir. I’m sure we could find more than one creative way to Boo Gil Cray. How long do I have to wait to see how our new additions to this season’s game day experience are received? Four weeks! We don’t play a home game until week four. With a nine week schedule we only get a total of 4 home games unless we make the play-offs.

Our stadium built for Limmie is hosting Limmie. We just have to host more college games than ELL games. In fact, last year we started using it on Friday nights for high school games. Concerts and trade shows bring in a lot of revenue as well, but first and foremost this should be a venue for playing Limmie. Is it any wonder I’m exhausted? I thought moving my son out of the house was going to break me, turns out it’s the life projects I took on to distract me from his absence that are breaking me.

Of course, I still have two children at home and there’s my husband. The steadfast leader or Coach of this Limmie team. Ty Allin. I love him, I cherish him, I admire him, I hold him close and sometimes I have to try hard not to imagine life without him. It’s a dark comforting mechanism. One that began with the trouble Ty got into during the early years of our marriage. I was sure I couldn’t tolerate him forever. I escaped by imaging life without him. Just me and my kids, no other voice telling me how to parent them. Now it’s become something worse. I’m preparing for the day Ty is no longer with us. Seeing his memory come and go on a regular basis. I worry Ty can only have so many years left. Told you it was dark.

Wow, so here we are just a few days before the season starts. As with most mornings it’s the smell of caf that wakes me. Ezra makes caf. He’ll be 15 in about 2 weeks, not old enough to drink caf. I drank caf when I was 15 and I guess you could say I turned out okay. At any rate I’ve given up on telling him he can’t have the savory liquid and embraced the fact that he gets me out of bed most mornings by making it.

“Get up Ty,” I say rubbing his shoulder.

“Hmmf,” he says without opening his eyes. I wait a moment and tap his shoulder with more force, “Get up,” I say again. This is always the moment of truth for me. Is Ty going to know where he is? Will he know who I am? Today’s a good day.

“One more minute, Lucie,” he says.

“Now,” I say climbing out of bed. I go into the fresher for a quick shower and come out dressed. Ty is sitting up in bed, reading his data pad.

I head down for breakfast. Ezra and Cammie are both eating. Geoff is also in the kitchen. Standing by the counter, waiting patiently. “Morning, Miss Lucie,” he says cheerfully.

I fill my mug with caf, take a long sip and return the greeting. I never say anything to anyone until after that first sip of caf. This is our arrangement now. Geoff takes the kids to school and most of their activities. Ty and I head to the stadium for work. I don’t think we could get by without him. Originally, we hired him as a bodyguard for Ezra. He still shadows Ezra to an extent at school. Mostly though now, he’s, well, a full blow caretaker.

Ty stumbles down the stairs with data pad in hand. “I can’t believe I have to miss your first college game,” he says. He calls T.J. nearly every morning and says the same thing.

“Dad it’s okay,” my son insists.

“I’ll be watching on the shuttle,” Ty says. I can’t decide if he forgets he has this conversation everyday or if he just feels so guilty about it that he thinks he needs to have this conversation everyday.

“I’ve seen plenty of Starkillers games on the holo dad. I’ll watch yours this week, from my dorm room. Thanks for calling Dad. I have to get to class.”

“You mean your actually going to class? Are you sure you’re my son?”

“Talk to you tomorrow, Dad.” T.J. says without acknowledging the joke.

Ty ends the call and opens the pantry in search of some breakfast.

Approximately 24 Hours Later

“Ty wake up.”

His eyes open wide and I know instantly he doesn’t know where he is. I watch cautiously as his eyeballs dart around quickly taking in the room, then me. “Sh**, do I know you? You’re beautiful. Did we get drunk last night?”

“Ty, it’s okay. You have a brain injury and sometimes you forget. I’m your wife.”

“No way!” This plays out all the time. So much so that we have a routine.

I grab a spare data pad from a drawer in the nightstand. “Here,” I say turning on the device. “These are our wedding holos. And you better hold on tight cause we also have 3 kids.”

“Three, how old am I?”

“The year is 295, but that’s really not important. What’s important is that you coach the Ralltiir Starkillers, the ELL Limmie team. Yes, you did play for them. You’re retired now. Our oldest son is away at college. Our other son is downstairs eating breakfast with his sister. Here’s their most recent holos.”

Ty looks at the holo on the data pad. I reach over him as he studies it and turn on his data pad. I click a diary app that brings up notes he’s written to himself to help with these situations. I sit patiently while he reads, watches short holo clips and puts the pieces together.

Ezra appears in the doorway. “Is dad having a bad morning?” He asks. I notice he has a mug of caf for me. Gratefully I get up and take the precious liquid.

“Rough morning,” I confirm. “This will help,” I say taking the caf. “Thank you.”

“We have to leave for school,” Ezra says.

Ty looks to the doorway, he looks at our son. “Ezra?”

“Yea, dad, it’s me.” He comes forward a few steps. Still uneasy around his father at times like this.

“Let me look at you,” Ty says. He looks at Ezra, then at me. Ty reaches out and takes Ezra’s hand. Ezra lets his father squeeze it. “You’re a limmie player,” Ty says. “A keeper. I have a keeper,” Ty smiles. “Honor roll student, sophomore in high school,” he’s reading his notes. “You like guys, once tricked me into adopting a cat.” Ty stops cold. “Lupé, it’s coming back to me now. You’re worried about facing Trazi Jul in a few weeks. That’s your biggest problem. Having that half Hapan girl score on you. Her mother was the best forward to play the game. You do have a problem.”

“Dad not now. I have to leave for school,” Ezra begins to pull away.

“We’ll practice later,” Ty says. “You’ll be ready for Trazi!” Ty is way more concerned about his own reputation than Ezra’s. He wants his son to be better than Jul’s daughter. As sick as this little rivalry between players is, pinning their children against each other, I’m at least happy that Ty’s memory is back and fully intact.

“Thanks Dad!” Ezra says quickly as he leaves the room and races down the stairs. I listen as Geoff escorts the kids out the front door to take them to school.

“We should get ready for work,” I tell Ty. Not that we have a set time to be there. Management is my younger brother and the entire staff knows our situation. They can’t fire Ty, he’s the reason this team has two championships and the reason his brain is mush.

“Says here I should call Junior,” Ty says. Nearly 18 years later and I still hate it when Ty calls T.J. Junior. When I was pregnant with T.J. we had a long debate about what to name him. Ty had his heart set on Ty Allin Junior as soon as we learned it was a boy. I really wanted nothing to do with giving my first born his father’s name. It wasn’t that I didn’t love Ty or admire him. I just didn’t know what we’d call the kid. It would be confusing to have two Ty’s in the house. On top of that no matter what we decided on I was afraid he’d be given more than one nickname. Which would only add to the confusion of people not knowing what to call him. Finally, after several lengthy conversations we agreed he’d be called “T.J.”. You can guess how long that lasted. Thirty minutes, maybe, and I heard Ty talking to him in the med center. “Welcome to the galaxy, Junior.” For a year or two I reminded Ty to call him T.J., but at this point I’ve given up.

As Ty dials T.J. I gather some clothes and head to the fresher for a shower. “How’s the 15th best forward in the Galaxy?”

“15th?, Huh, I’m the best forward in the Galaxy.”

“Says here you’re 15th best.”

Friday Night (Ezra’s Game)

I glance over at Cambrielle sitting in the far upper corner. As far away from us (her parents) as possible. She whisper’s into a friend’s ear and makes eyes at a boy sitting a few rows over. Ty’s too focused on the game to see his daughter flirting. I can’t focus on the game. I’m too nervous about Ty’s upcoming trip to Carratos and me having to go to T.J.’s game alone. What if T.J. gets hurt? What if Ty loses his memory while he’s gone? Suddenly Ty stands up whooping and hollering. I see Ezra with the ball in his hands. I missed another great save.

After the game we drop off Ty at the spaceport. The team is off to Carratos. It’s just me, Ezra and Cambrielle. I sit in the living room, I don’t really want to go up to my half empty bed. “What’s the matter mom?” Ezra says as he walks in with Lupé in his arms.

“I miss your dad and your brother,” I admit.

“Look at it this way, you finally outnumber us.” Ezra says.

“Huh?”

“There’s three girls, you, Cambrielle and Lupé. And only one boy, in the whole house.”

It’s definitely never happened before. There’s never been more girls than boys in the house. “Yea,” I say. “Small price to pay for less stench.”

The next morning we get ready to head to Ralltiir U for T.J.’s game. I find a big pair of sunglasses so no one sees the tears I’m sure to cry when he’s introduced for the first time. My baby is a college Limmie player.

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422

Jedi Gunny and Trieste like this.
  18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Bree Veers
    Bakura Gardens, Salis D’aar, Bakura

“You see this?” Bast Amun asked, holding a datapad in front of Bree’s face.

“Yeah,” Bree said. She was familiar with Galactic Sports Weekly’s piece calling the Miners management speciesist for the fact that the team was almost all Human or Near-Human. “Not exactly the sort of thing you want before Opening Day.”

“You know what this means?” Bast asked without waiting for an answer. “They’re criticizing us. If they had their way we wouldn’t even be on this team. They would have had Cundertol get some lesser-talented Duro or Whipid just for the sake of having a diverse team.”

“I don’t think that’s necessarily the case,” Bree pointed out.

“Sure it is. Everybody just loves to take pot shots at the Hapans. ‘Oh she’s a Hapan, she must have a stick up her butt and think that she’s better than everyone else.’”

“Well...isn’t this conversation about how you are better than anyone else Cundertol could have traded for?”

That went over about as well as Bree expected. “No, this is about how we are better than anyone else Cundertol could have gotten last season.” Bast rolled her eyes. “Have you seen the analytics he’s running? He’s got a Death Star-sized supercomputer in the Miner offices crunching numbers, identifying trade targets, evaluating draft prospects. If there was a better player, he would have found her.” Bast runs a hand through her hair, pulled back into a ponytail. “But you’re right, this is more about me than you.”

“Uh...how?” Bree asks.

“Because you got nominated for an Ingbrand last season.”

“And I didn’t win.”

“Yeah, but it’s a lot harder to say that you’re here just because you’re a Human than it is for me,” Bast pressed. “Especially when I’m paired with the Ice Queen.”

They both turned to look at Minnerva, the Chiss who played midfield with Bast. She was getting ready for practice like everyone else, but unlike most of the team she wasn’t idly chatting with her teammates. That was how she’d gotten her nickname. Unlike the last Chiss who’d played on the Miners, Ronan (sometimes called “the Accuser”), she wasn’t prone to flights of rage. Bree hadn’t seen her so much as flare a nostril in frustration or high five in victory. Ice Queen indeed.

“At least she’s a Near-Human,” Bast continued. “She at least looks diverse.”

“You do know there’s such a thing as Human privilege, right?” Bree points out as she bends at the waist to tighten the strings of her cleats. “Also, best thing we can do is just play the best we can. Win some games and no one’s going to talk about that editorial.”

As Bree straightened, her gaze swept up a pair of blue legs and kept going to find that Minnerva was standing in front of her. “Hi,” Bree said neutrally.

“The Hapan is right,” Minnerva said without preamble.

“See?” Bast insisted to Bree.

“As Humans, you will come under greater scrutiny,” Minnerva continued. “But the Hapan is also wrong.”

“The Hapan also has a name. We’ve only played together for an entire season. You could use it once in a while. It’s actually even shorter than ‘Hapan,’” Bast said.

Minnerva didn’t seem to pay any attention. “Neither of you were called out by name in the article. I was. You see, the article itself is speciesist. It focuses on the failings of those of us who are not Human. We are somehow at fault, not you. Therefore, the pressure is greater on us to be the imperfect standard bearers of non-Humans.”

“I think you might be reading a bit too much into it,” Bree offered.

“Hardly, for this where the Hapan is right.”

“Bast! Call me Bast!”

“You are the great Human hope now,” Minnerva said, completely unfazed. “Ingbrand nominee. Part of the best defense in the League.”

“Tied with Chandrila,” Bree points out.

Minnerva doesn’t even deign to bat the thought out of the air with her hand. “Meanwhile, the Hapan and I posted a middling +11 last season. Our performance will be under much greater scrutiny than yours.” She turned to Bast. “So please, try harder this season.” Without any further discussion, Minnerva walked away to head to practice.

“Oh I’ll try a little harder,” Bast growled, rising. “I’ll try to put my fist through your face.”

Bree restrained her with an arm. “Leave it.”

“We were the third-best point differential last season,” Bast fumed.

“Last season was last season,” Bree said, trying to be sensible. “And we don’t have time to rest on our laurels. Mercs will be in town soon.”

“Yeah, we’ve got to buckle down after what they did to us last season,” Bast agreed, turning her mind to the matter at hand.

“So now’s the wrong time to point out they’re also the representatives of a culture that pretty much doesn’t see species and adopts beings across every possible species, sex, orientation, and any other distinction someone can draw?” Bree offers.

“Yes, this is exactly the wrong time to point out we’re going to be doubly under the macrobinoculars,” Bast said.

“Just getting that out of the way now,” Bree said as she stood and patted Bast on the shoulder. “Come on, Hapan. Practice time.”

“I hate you,” Bast called after Bree as she left the locker room, “so so much.”

19. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Just a week into the new college season and already we're seeing that this isn't last season as both of last year's championship game competitors fell in big ways."

"Ugh. Hope this is just a minor set back..."

"The StarBucks were the first to fall, 18-7 to a Republican U team that many pundits saw as struggling to win any game this season..."

"Not good."

"Meanwhile Cloud City fell in the prime time game of the week to Theed University. three to two in a game marred by thunderstorms."

"I know the weather affected both teams there, so not sure how much of that was the Barons playing badly but man..."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

HSN Top 25 after Week One

1. Norand University, Carratos
    2. UB Salis D'aar
    3. University of Csilla
    4. University of Agamar
    5. Druckenwell Technical University
    6. Orn Free Ta Central Academy, Ryloth
    7. University of Onderon Rupings
    8. Keldabe Military Institute (Mandalore)
    9. Bilbringi University
    10. Ralltiir University
    11. Coruscant Polytechnic Institute
    12. Tiarest University
    13. Chandrila A&M University
    14. University of Zeltros
    15. The Ord Sabaok University
    16. Taanab A&M University
    17. Ryloth Ag and Tech University
    18. UB Telaan Valley
    19. Celwis System University
    20. University of Garos (Garos IV)
    21. Derrling College of Technology
    22. Cloud City University bespin
    23. Nessem University
    24. University of Euceron
    25. University of Kashyyyk

20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines
    • Ralltiir Starkillers sign free agent Alixx Obechen, formerly of the Coruscant Senators
    • Former Miner Jo Pawvelski signs with Bastion Imperial LC

Bonus potential to start the season to Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa (all three draft posts just barely coming together to qualify and since they're playing an NPC team any harm is less pronounced) and Ralltiir.

295 Week 1 Results
    Mando’ade Mercs at Bakura Miners (13-5)
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Rydonni Prime Monarchs (40-16)
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Carratos Pirates (6-33)
    Euceron Officers at Bastion Imperial LC (30-14)
    Chandrila Patriots at Coruscant Senators (9-12)

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @Vehn

jcgoble3 and Vehn like this.
  21. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny and warm Victory afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz over on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

20 minutes later

"So Mercs pull out a win in the season opener against the Miners in a game that should look pretty familair to Mercs fans from last year..."

"Miners held to single digits again, they have issues."

"When we come back we'll take your comms, but first a break and a word from one of our sponsors..."

There was a brief pause before Randy's voice was again broadcast over the wave. It was clear now he was reading a script, but he was at least doing it with enthusiasm.

"Ever have one of those days where you need a hearty, meaty, stew?"

"Oh yeah." Jusitn interjected trying to help.

"Well when I have one of those days I head down to the oyu'baat cafe at the end of Chortav Meshurkaane. There the stew pot is always going, they have holoscreen for watching meshgeroya matches from around the galaxy, cu'bikad tables for the kids and of course their own ne 'tra gal brewery on site for the richest blackest ales this side of the Enciri. Everyone who is anyone on manda'yaim goes to the oyu'baat, you'll probably run into a clan chieftan or two so if you've business with your House, the oyu'baat is the place to be."

He took a deep breath.

"Just going to be on world for a few days? The oyu'baat has rooms for rent to any weary traveler, mando'ade and aruetiise alike. Why not get a comfortable room with the best meals just footsteps away while you're there. Located at the end of the Chortav Meshurkaane, across the square, it's the oyu'baat baby!

TAG: @Trieste

OOC: Trying something a bit different for this season, lets see if it works at all.

jcgoble3, Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• ELL announces the 139th Galactic Cup Final will be held at Memorial Stadium, Agamar, in honor of late Agamar Packers owner, Tim Dodd.
    • Packers were ELL members from 274-279 under Dodd’s ownership.
    • Commissioner Lokensgaard: “I knew Mr. Dodd from the beginning of my tenure as ELL Commissioner. He was a passionate champion of sport: not just limmie, but also TenGate. It is a fitting tribute to him that we bring the biggest game on turf to his homeworld to remember him and his impact on the sport.”
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik (special thanks to him for this suggestion) @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @Vehn

23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Bree Veers
    Bakura Gardens, Salis D’aar, Bakura

Had Bree not worn her hair in a sensible ponytail, secured by a HeadBAND AID to keep flyaways from getting in her face (not to mention protecting her cranium from devastating injuries that had affected too many players already), she would have brushed her hair out of her face in a gesture of general frustration.

But Bree wasn’t angry. She wasn’t. Her face was flushed only because it was the 55th minute of the game and she’d been tackling all day long. In other words, she’d been doing her job and, as Bree saw it, that wasn’t cause for any particular emotion one way or the other. After all, this Mercs’ offense was only slightly better last season than the Miners’ had been and she even had the luxury of covering a rookie in Stonebreaker. For a fourth-year pro like Veers, there was very little that the kid could show her that she hadn’t seen on Iego or last season.

“Welcome to the Elite League, rook.”

...is what Bree would have said if she was given to making snide comments like that on the field. But she wasn’t. They were all professionals, here to do a job. A very well-paid job that required peak physical fitness and had high stakes, but a job nonetheless.

This wasn’t to say that Bree’s heart didn’t thrill every time she pulled Stonebreaker down, disrupting the Mercs’ attack. It absolutely did. Her blood pumped as she ran him down and wrapped him up. She used that emotion. She just didn’t whoop it up after a tackle like some other players because making tackles and stopping opponents was what was expected of her. Maybe if she’d single-handedly cut through the Merc defense and popped a boloball into the goal she would have done a choreographed dance, but she hadn’t, so she didn’t.

No, Bree was not mad--even though for the third straight season the Miners had failed to score a goal in their home opener. There were still five minutes left, but given the way the game had gone she doubted they were going to add one now. She was frustrated, yes, but if she put that frustration into something other than tackling players, things would go disastrously wrong. You have a job when you’re on a team and defenders don’t rush up to score goals. That’s how the other team puts a goal on you. That frustration would be evident in tomorrow’s hot takes on the Miners’ loss, namely in the analysis that, “Jon Draper spends so much time at the end of each season winning back Miner fans, only to blow it all on the first game of the next season.”

When the game did indeed end without a goal for the Miners (but also without further scoring from the Mercs who seemed to just want to get to commercial break at that point), Bree clasped the forearm of Stonebreaker in Mandalorian parting. “First one’s the toughest,” she told him. Of course, losing was tougher, but the kid had to be pretty down on himself after making the show only for the Stonebreaker to get stonewalled.

As Bree left the field, the fans leaving faster than the players, she caught up to Bast. “That one wasn’t your fault. Midfield looked good.”

“Definitely didn’t have a tailwind though,” Bast complained. “Had it going on defense, but couldn’t get the forward momentum. They were on us fast.”

“The Zeltrons are going to have some explaining to do, not us,” Bree said, trying to push Bast to lighten up. “We’ve got a good foundation at worst. At best we kept us in it.”

“Your optimism is misplaced,” Minnerva said without affect as she walked past Bast and Bree. “The team lost. The fate of the collective is the fate of the individual. Not that you would know that having been nominated for an Ingbrand.” The Chiss didn’t wait for a reply from either of the pair.

“They didn’t outlaw beaning players in the head with a bolo-ball when they made those rule changes, did they?” Bast asked.

“No…”

“Then I’m going to knock the Ice Queen’s noggin clean off her shoulders next game,” she growled.

“Bast,” Bree sighed.

“I’ll say I was passing to her. Passing to the back of her head, but I’ll still say I was passing to her,” Bast said.

“We really don’t need that going into Chandrila.”

“Don’t you know, Veers? ‘I never wanted to go down the Stoney End.’” Bast shrugged Bree off and headed for the locker room.

Bree bit her lip. If their midfield didn’t start getting along better soon, this was going to be a long season…

Bardan_Jusik and Runjedirun like this.
  24. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

IC Lucie Allin

Sunday started off innocently enough. T.J. showed up with his laundry, a young lady and her laundry. He claimed all the machines at school were in use. The young woman was very shy. Probably never crossed paths with anyone famous before. She sat silently on my couch looking to T.J. for cues.

Cammie wasn’t shy, “Are you dating my brother?”

“We’re just friends.”

“How did you meet him?”

“We have classes together.”

“Do you think he’s cute?”

“Cambrielle,” I warn.

“What I’m just asking,” she says looking over her shoulder towards me.

“That’s not polite,” I inform her. She’s nearly 13, she knows that’s not polite. This poor girl clearly looks like she’s uncomfortable. “Would you like something to eat,” I offer.

“No thanks.”

I’m fixing a snack for T.J. I go ahead and make extra anyway. This is insane. A few months ago, I would tell T.J. to make his own snack. Now in hopes of keeping him here an extra few minutes I’m doing extra work.

T.J. makes his friend a plate and she does eat. As their clothes are drying the Starkillers game starts. Ezra makes his way downstairs. He spends most of his weekends trying to stay on top of schoolwork. Advanced classes and Limmie are not mixing well. He’s overwhelmed and refuses to admit it. Ezra bails after Cray’s third score. He doesn’t say a word, but he’s upset, and I don’t expect to see him again for the rest of the afternoon.

Cammie is chatting with friends on her data pad, seemingly oblivious to the pounding her father’s team is taking.

T.J. holds his head in his hands. Stands up, cusses at the holo, throws a pillow across the room. “Maybe I should go,” the girl says as she stands up.

“I flew you here,” T.J. says exasperated. “I’ll take you back if you want to go.”

They collect their freshly cleaned laundry and leave. I’m left surrounded by dirty dishes. I glance at Cammie decide it would be a waste of breath to ask for help and power up a droid. I flip through my own data pad for distraction. It’s a terrible way to start the season, I just remind myself we’ve been here before and we’ve all survived.

Monday evening, I fly to the spaceport alone to pick up my husband. He gets off the shuttle and I look at him, pity all over my face. Pity because he lost, pity because his children are too wrapped up in their problems to come welcome him home, pity because I don’t even know what he knows. He shrugs and smiles. He smiles. I see the goofball I married, and I run to hug him. Screw those ungrateful kids. Ty and I stop for a bite to eat by ourselves, before going home and climbing in bed.

Ty is up the next morning before I am. Nothing quite like a 27 point loss to motivate a head coach into action. “Let’s go,” he says shaking me. “I want to go over film with the team.”

“In a minute,” I say rolling over. I don’t want to go downstairs and I don’t want to say “Good Morning” to anyone, I don’t want to have meetings with my brother about second hand ticket sales. I get it there are more this morning after the loss. Prices could go up if we surprise the Smugglers next week. What are the odds of that? The Smugglers scored more points than the Pirates this week. Yea, I totally don’t want to get out of bed. Too bad. I reluctantly throw the covers to the side and sit up.

Ty and Yolanda are still busy writing plays hours after the players have gone home. “I can fly Ty home when were done,” Yolanda volunteers.

“Thanks,” I say. I want check in on the kids. I want to eat dinner. I get home to find Ezra at the kitchen table with a data pad furiously typing and still damp from Limmie practice. “You stink,” I tell him.

“Trying to study,” he says, shushing me.

“Have you eaten?” I ask.

He shakes his head. I pull some veggies and pasta out of the cooler. “Cammie,” I call 30 minutes later. “Dinner.”

With her face in her data pad Cammie sludges down the stairs. A good parent would insist the kids put the data pads away. We’d discuss our days while we eat. I don’t have the energy for conversation. I pull my own data pad out of my pocket and mindlessly scroll while I put tasteless food in my mouth. Before I even look up it seems Cammie’s plate is empty, and she’s headed back upstairs.

Who knows what time Ty stumbles in, I wake up the next morning and tap his shoulder, “Five more minutes, Lucie.”

This is much better than yesterday. I take a semi long shower, sit with the kids and drink my caf. At least until Geoff taps on the counter to hurry the kids along. Ty rushes down the stairs to say good-bye and promises to be home for dinner.

I notice that Ezra avoids his father. “Bye Daddie,” Cammie says with a wave.

In the afternoon our Junior dance team has rehearsals. My mom brings my sister, Louise. Louise has been begging to be a part of this team. My mom really wants to stay as far away from this stadium and this sport as she can. It’s bad memories for her and I understand. It’s tough for me, my mom tried to keep me out of dance altogether and now to keep her last child from hating her she’s coming to her least favorite place to let her daughter participate in probably her least favorite activity. Maybe instead of holding a grudge against my mother I should just privately revel in the irony. Unfortunately, seeing my mom unhappy doesn’t make me happy. Seeing Louise learn dance moves is gratifying though. She’s loving it. My daughter wouldn’t be caught dead here. Cammie doesn’t dance or play sports. The only thing Cammie enjoys is gossiping with her friends.

Ty thinks it’s a good idea to go home, pick up the kids and go out for dinner. “Just pick me something up,” Ezra says when he hears the plans.

“Just get in the speeder,” I urge. Whatever is eating Ezra he needs to get it off his chest. I know Ty is not going to let him stay here. Ty goes out of his way to make time for these kids and he expects them to appreciate it. Ezra’s attitude has me nervous there’s going to be a shouting match any minute.

By some small miracle Ty is in a good mood, “What’s the matter Rah, Rah? You seem Blah, Blah.”

Ezra does not like that nickname. He also has just enough sense not to blow up at his father. I can see it in his eyes. He’s pissed about something. Ezra holds tightly to his data pad with both hands and walks towards the garage to get in the speeder.

“Hey why don’t we walk to the café?” Ty suggests.

Ezra has always loved the café around the corner from our house. He rolls his eyes and changes direction to head for the front door.

Ty races towards the front door and opens it for Ezra, “You mad at me?” He asks curiously.

I tell Cammie to leave her data pad at the house. She listens without argument, but I suspect that’s because she wants to know what’s eating Ezra as much as her father and I do.

Ty has his arm around Ezra, and they walk ahead of us as we head to the café. I watch as Ezra tries to pull away several times. We grab our usual table and the waiter brings out some waters. Ezra sits in silence looking at the pavement. The evenings are noticeably shorter than they were even a few weeks ago, but it’s nice to be able to grab a table outside before the fall sets in.

The silent treatment is starting to agitate Ty. “You tell me what’s wrong or you don’t eat,” he tells Ezra.

No way that’s going to happen. I won’t let it. He can’t force Ezra to talk. Still I want this solved so I try another approach. A nicer approach. “We’re your parents. We’re here to help you,” I remind him.

Ezra looks at me. “Oh really,” he says. “Tell your other half over there that he ruined our Limmie team by chasing off our best player. I was nice. I waited to see how it would go, but it’s obvious now. Team sucks without Cray.”

“I’m right here,” Ty says. “I didn’t chase anyone off my team. I had three separate meetings asking him to stay.”

“You didn’t let him play in the conference final last season!” Ezra’s voice is getting louder by the second and I look around to see if anyone is staring.

“His shoulder was ripped to shreds. I probably saved his career,” Ty replies calmly.

“You could have done something,” Ezra insists. “Now were the laughingstock of the league, again. Do you know what it’s like constantly defending you and this team in school? It’s not easy!”

“You don’t have to defend me,” Ty says.

“Yes, I do, they say horrible things about you. It hurts to hear those things,” Ezra pauses, and I realize he’s holding back tears. “I hate this family. I hate the pressure. I hate being under a microscope all the time.”

“What can I do to make it better for you?” Ty asks. It’s an honest request. I want to help too. My dad was rich, but he wasn’t super famous. There were never holos of me in tabloids when I was growing up. Ezra had been approached on multiple occasions about doing an interview about his coming out and what it is like to be an openly gay Limmie player in high school. Ezra is everything I wanted him to be. Polite, shy, respectful and he is a damned good keeper. Ezra played varsity goal his freshmen year. And it wasn’t just because his last name was Allin.

Ezra shrugged. “How do you do it?” He asks his father. “How do you not let it get to you?”

“I just can’t Ezra. I mean it does get to me. That’s why I throw data pads on the sidelines. I coach these players all training camp, all week in practice, we go over a play 100,00 times and somehow it all goes to pieces on game day. We get humiliated and I know deep down there’s no more effort I or any of these beings could have put into our work. And still somehow it’s all blowing up in my face. I have to face reporters after the game, take scrutiny over if I deserve my job. What are those birds?” Ty suddenly asks.

We all look at him like he’s crazy.

“You know those birds that put their heads in the sand and they think no one can see them. Sometimes I want to be one of those birds.”

We continue to look at Ty like he’s crazy. “So, since you can’t be a bird, what do you do?” Ezra asks.

The waiter sets some Correllian egg rolls on the table, our favorite appetizer. We all reach out and grab one. Ty chews quickly so he can answer, “I hold my head up high and do my best. If people don’t like it, frak them!”

“That’s the opposite of a bird that hides it’s head in the sand,” Ezra points out.

“My generation came up with a word for not hiding your head in the sand, it’s called adulting and you may as well start practicing now,” Ty says proudly. Ty stuffs the rest of his egg roll in his mouth, chews furiously and continues, “Look Ezra, people are going to hurt you. It’s okay to hide your head in the sand for a few minutes. Prepare for your comeback, you’ll always have a chance to redeem yourself. You won’t give up, I won’t give up, and we’ll always keep fighting.”

So when Ty leaves for Nar Shadda a few days later. We all drop him off at the spaceport and we all call out to him as he boards the shuttle, “Keep fighting!”

Tags: @galactic-vagabond422 @Vehn

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• BBC Sports reports that Alana Glencross was offered a coaching position with her alma mater, UB Cape Suzette prior to the start of 295 season.
    • Blue Birds finished eighth in the Bak10 in 294.
      • UBCS has not won a Bak10 title in the last quarter century (only Bak10 team in that span without a conference championship).
    • Glencross co-coached Ojai North High School to All-Bakura High School Championship in 294.
    • Sources in UBCS athletic department say that Glencross declined due to family commitment to coach her son in his Senior year of high school.
    • BBC Sports analyst: "Don't hold your breath for Glencross to be on a college sideline anytime soon. She's got a daughter in her last year of Little League Limmie who's going to be at Ojai North next year."
    TAG: None...but maybe all????