main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Roh Var
    Carratos

I flop face first in my bed. After a full game against the Sens, a flight back and the promise of more practices in our future from Coach Sabah, I have no energy to do anything. I got a call from some of my former friends in the Carratos League, but I couldn't do anything. I am dead on my feet and have practice the next day. I haven't gotten a proper rest in what feels like weeks...five of them to be exact. It has been flat out since the start and my body is starting to protest.

Every morning I am in pain, and only so much NSAIDs can do. I'm on the cusp of asking for a break, of going to Coach Manx Sandin and asking him to do something. I've gone through some rough stuff, I know what it takes to win. It's just this feels like sadism and we keep winning so no reason to change.

Not that losing would change anything. It would be a sign that she didn't work us hard enough.

It is a never ending cycle and I can feel myself being torn apart. But, I'm just the rookie, others have suffered worse, and if I speak up...I don't think anyone will listen.

So now all I have is a smile and a hope that in 5 more weeks this will all be over...then I can rest, and sleep like the dead.

TAG: @Jedi Gunny

(OOC: Sorry for the short post, didn't have much time this week to write.)

Trieste likes this.
  2. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

The long march continues! Bonus potential this week for Bakura, Carratos, Mando'ade, and Ralltiir.

297 Week 6 Results
    Coruscant Senators at Bakura Miners (14-15)
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Ralltiir Starkillers (25-37)
    Carratos Pirates at Mando'ade Mercs (30-32)

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @Vehn

3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for: Cloud City (33), Tatooine (33), Concordia (28) and Atzerri (28)

Skimmer Ade League Week Six Results
    Thyferra Force @ Cloud City Sky Captains (1-17)
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Tatooine Sandskimmers (10-8)
    Atzerri Bandits @ Concordia Crusaders (3-1)

Tags:
    @Jedi Gunny @Trieste @Vehn @galactic-vagabond422 @Bardan_Jusik

Trieste likes this.
  4. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: El "Flea" Baganno III
    Bakura Gardens, Salis D’aar, Bakura

“Do you know what I love about Bakura Gardens?” Flea asks without waiting for a response. “It’s municipally owned and it looks like it. Sure, it’s still a nice stadium, but it’s no Senators Stadium. It looks like what would happen if a bunch of Bakurans who are about three beers into the night would design. ‘Yeah, let’s put a bunch of pretty plants over here!’ ‘Nah, permacrete will be just fine for that section! It’s a stadium, not a palace!’ ‘A roof? On a planet where it rains 90% of the year? What kind of ninnies would think you need one of those?’ Do you know what Bakura Gardens is? It’s adequate. It’s perfectly adequate and I couldn’t love it more.”

Two weeks is not a long road trip in the ELL, not in the current schedule at least, but it feels like an age since the Miners were back in front of their home fans. Since they’d last taken the field for the dramatic overtime game against the Pirates, the Miners had perfected what was quickly becoming their calling card:

The thriller.

Just like the first game against the Senators, this one looked like it was going to come down to the wire. The Senators were just as tough as they’d been in the opener. If Cavanaugh had learned anything about the Sens, it seemed Gamble had learned just as much.

For Flea, it seems that the Never Ending Captains Tour of 297 has another stop for the third consecutive week.

“Seriously, it’s just not fair,” Flea complained. “How are you so good looking and so good at limmie at the same time? You should either be less athletic or more ugly.”

D’ana Themyscira had broken defenses, midfielders, and probably more than a few hearts since being a first overall pickn. “The trouble with Hapans like her is that they’re too perfect. Overachievers if you ask me,” Flea informs you. “I blame Tenel Ka Chume. Queen Mother, Jedi Knight, mother of the maybe-savior of the entire galaxy: she should have taken Taungsdays off to give the rest of us a chance.”

Like Tomas Vigo before her, Themyscira is more interested in playing limmie than she is talking to Flea. Even though Tomas had been no walk in the park (or rather the Square), the Miners’ margin had allowed Flea some freedom in her unorthodox approach to leveling the skill gap. Flea knows she doesn’t have that today, not with the frequent lead changes. If the Senators get on a run it could put them ahead for the rest of the game.

The boloball comes their way and Flea jockeys for position with Themyscira. “Not this time you beautiful, competent warrior!” Flea says as she jostles and shoulders her opponent. The pair cancel each other out as neither can get the boloball and it heads for the Miners’ half forward line. It’s as good a result as Flea could hope for.

“And to think the alternative was ‘just’ the first overall draft pick, Bakura’s own Paige Terrask,” Flea remarks as Themyscira shoves her away. “Some beings have all the luck.” As if playing against a midfielder formerly coached by Glencross the Great could be considered luck.

The boloball makes it to Alexa Superspy, who dodges a Senator attacker. She has a good angle, but had another defender bears down on her. She passes up the field, more to an area than to a teammate, a risky move--but one that Harle Quinn anticipates with a crossing maneuver.

Before the ball arrives, a Senators defender makes contact with her in a solid hit. The referee’s whistle sounds and Quinn is awarded a free kick outside the goal box on the grounds of an early hit. There’s protestation from Senator players who argue it’s a bang-bang play, but the official holds firm.

Flea whips her head around to look at Cavanaugh. It’s 14 all, late in the game. Ordinarily, it’s a no brainer--put the boloball over the bar for a point and the lead. But everyone remembers what Veers had pointed out after last week: thanks to the Senators’ one point victory in the season opener, the tiebreak is on the line. If the Miners only win by a point, that makes the tiebreak a wash. They move to overall point differential and that takes it out of the Miners’ hands, especially given the fact they’re not winning games by large margins. A goal would give them the head-to-head point differential tiebreak...but if Fam Keth makes the stop they go to overtime and anything can happen.

Cavanaugh’s gaze is hard, stony.

“Come on, come on, go for it,” Flea mutters. The old saying is that point differential is decided at midfield. It means the pressure’s going to be on Bast and her if the Miners only win by one.

Cavanaugh holds her fist over her head and extends one finger.

Quinn obliges and boots it high over the bar and between the uprights, a holo-perfect point.

When the game ends that way, Flea shakes hands with Themyscira and then walks back to the locker room, biting her bottom lip. They were victorious, but it was a victory with complications.

“Hey, any way you can get a win, am I right?” Bast says, playfully elbowing Flea.

“Yeah, sure,” Flea says.

“What they’d teach you on Cloud City anyways?” Bast asks. “Last year when I had Themyscira I was lucky she didn’t burn me like Tatooine double suns. You were fantastic against her today.”

“The Sky Captains teach a simple system: keep limmie fun.”

“Yeah, well they’re certainly having fun there this season. 17-1 today against the best midfield in 296? They’re doing just fine having fun.”

Flea looks at you and says nothing for a moment. “Did she just steal my line?”

Runjedirun likes this.
  5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny and warm victory..."

"Haven't been able to say that too much lately."

"Victory?"

"Or sunny and warm?"

"Both."

"...afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz over on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Can't believe the way the Mercs pulled that one out..."

"Not with the way the season is going, no."

"...but they did."

"That they did, we're talking of course of the Mercs 32 to 30 win over the Pirates..."

"Who you hate."

"...who I still hate, and man what a finish."

"What a finish, and what a game!"

"It was a shootout from the opening kick as each team traded blows, hits, points and goals..."

"And like you said, with the way the season has gone I never thought the Mercs were going to pull that out."

"Especially the way they did, back to back bar points in the last minute..."

"The second to last one, i thought they left too much time on the clock and the Pirates were going to go score a game winning goal, but the Mercs got the ball back and rather than sitting on it, they attacked."

"They attacked, like they had all game long, and they really showed me something this game."

"What's that?"

"That even in the face of insurmountable odds..."

"Those near impossible chances at making the post season."

"...the will never, ever, give up."

"Hey the war may be lost, but there are still battles to fight, and we all know how much a mandalorian loves a good battle."

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422

Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  6. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Last week of the college bolo ball regular season which means it's the last chance for teams not in the power five to impress the pollsters, let's see what happened."

"Set up some great match ups for Championship week, that's what happened."

"shab yeah!"

"Of course the big news is two time defending GCAA champ Chandrila A&M University ran the table once again in the regular season. Expect them to hold onto that number one overall seed..."

"Yeah but they take on my Bucks again in the S16 title game..."

"A&M lost that one last year before going on a tear in the playoff, looks to be a great re match that I am really looking forward to."

"You and me both!"

"Of course as with every season at this time the real drama is in the middle of the rankings as bubble teams either help their cause or see their bubbles burst."

"Kerry Trieste is going to be pissed."

"One of those teams was number 13 Bakura Fleet who lost to number 20 Prytis College of Natural Sciences..."

"Worst case scenario going to happen there for the Bak10..."

"That puts the Ensigns in danger of falling out of the top 16."

"And I doubt it's enough to move the Rangers up far enough to put them in a playoff spot."

"And now no way for either to make a move really without the benefit of a conference championship game."

"That's why being in the power five is so important."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

HSN Top 25 after Week Seven (LW)

1. Chandrila A&M University (1)
    2. University of Zeltros (2)
    3. University of Kashyyyk (4)
    4. Keldabe Military Institute (3)
    5. Coruscant Polytechnic Institute (5)
    6. The Ord Sabaok University (6)
    7. University of Csilla (8)
    8. Royal College of Hapes (9)
    9. Druckenwell Technical University (10)
    10. Cloud City University, Bespin (11)
    11. Wookiee Forrest Institute (7)
    12. Ralltiir University (14)
    13. Duro State University (15)
    14. University of Onderon Rupings (12)
    15. University of Ord Mantell (16)
    16. Bakura Fleet Acadamy (13)
    17. Prytis College of Natural Sciences (20)
    18. Tipoca City College, Kamino (19)
    19. Gargarrump University, Kashyyyk (23)
    20. Bilbringi University (21)
    21. Grand Vulptur System University (18)
    22. University of Bison (17)
    23. Derrling College of Technology (NR)
    24. Enarch Technical University (NR)
    25. University of Northern Dependencies, Corsin (22)

Championship Week Schedule:

BIG 20: (Rimward) #22 University of Bison vs. (Coreward) University of Zeltros
    Super 16: (Crendan) #6 The Ord Sabaok University vs. (Kayl'hen) #1 Chandrila A&M University
    SEC: (Beskar) #4 Keldabe Military Institute, Mandalore vs. (Cortosis) University of Garos, Garos IV
    Rim 10: (Innies) #8 Royal College of Hapes vs. (Outies) #15 University of Ord Mantell
    RAAC 10: (Raddus) #10 Cloud City University, Bespin vs. (Syndulla) #24 Enarch Technical University

7. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC TJ Allin

We aren’t messing around today. Tomas dribbles the ball around both of the Smuggler midfielders faster than anything I have seen all season, maybe my whole life. Almost before I’m ready the ball whizzes my way. Quickly I kick out my foot, trap the ball and pull it in for a hard stop. There’s a defender coming, but I have enough time. Enough time to line up my shot perfectly, just like I learned in grade school. I put the middle of my left foot directly beside the ball and use it to aim in the direction that I want to go. Next I give a powerful kick with my right and SCORE!

Unfortunately the Smugglers have come to play too. They break through our defense quickly on the next possession and tie the score. It goes on like this for most of the first half. I’m not going to let our defense lose this game. My teammates and I on offense are going to score, score, score. We aren’t going to stop until we’ve secured a win. It’s starting to work too. At halftime we have a 6 point lead.

I’m more relaxed and able to enjoy the second half. I’m racking up points, assists and even enjoying the times I just have to hold off defenders and let my teammates pat their stats. It feels good to win again. I celebrate by wrapping my arms around my cousin. Sancheese runs towards us and wraps his arms around both of us, before I know it the whole team is one big group hug. Tomas raises his voice so we can all hear him, even above the cheering home crowd. “Let’s go show the Smugglers how much we appreciate their effort today. Tonight we celebrate, tomorrow we rest and Tuesday we make a game plan to finish this season even stronger than we started it.”

We form a circle, put our hands in the middle and on three we all remind the Galaxy who we are, “STARKILLERS.”

This week HSN does a piece on Serene and I. Which makes Monday more of a work day than a rest day. I get it though, it’s good publicity for our team and I get an extra paycheck for it. The first couple of hours are a holo shoot. Not my favorite. I have to wear make-up I have to stand in an awkward position mid throw or mid kick and act “natural”. We do so- many poses either hugging or our arms around each other’s shoulders. So many poses and you know only one or two of them will make the final article.

After the poses we both have separate interviews. Serene goes first. I listen in as she talks about being overlooked by Ralltiir U and playing for, of all colleges Melida/Daan. It put a chip on her shoulder for sure, she says. I can’t help but think how she’s shown everyone she deserved to go to a top rated school. She’s already a legend and she’s a rookie. After that she gives credit to her easy transition to the ELL to Coach Teaspoon. Obviously, Coach was Coach on Tatooine and a goal keeper at Tatooine before that. She grew up on Tatooine and her adopted father owned the team. So her relationship with Teaspoon goes way back. Finally, she’s asked what it’s like to be possibly the Rookie of the Year when there’s no longer an award for the accomplishment.

“The only trophy I want is the Galactic Cup.” Serene declares.

I’m up next. As much as I loved my dad and as much as I appreciate all the work he did to get me here. I am already beginning to get tired about answering questions about our relationship. So I’m glad when those questions are out of the way. I also get a question about Rookie of the Year, except my question is phrased differently. “Since Rookie of the Year is off the table do you think you or your cousin, Serene, should be considered for MVP?”

I know it sounds forced, but I really mean my answer. “No, Uncle Tomas deserves MVP.” I state decisively. “He’s leading us, guiding us and making this team the best team it can be.”

“Why do you think the ELL took so many awards out of their program and do you think it’s beneficial to the league?”

Ugh, I don’t want to get into the politics of the league. “Well hopefully I don’t say anything to get myself fined,” I begin. The reporter interviewing me chuckles and responds.

“Even your father never got fined for something he said in an HSN interview.”

It’s the first time I can recall being compared to my father for something that’s not Limmie playing and it feels good. “Okay,” I brace myself. “Well maybe they shortened the awards program because Lokensgaard talks too much.” The reporter gives a complimentary chuckle, but I suspect my joke fell flat. “It sure does make it more competitive for us players,” I add quickly. “Fewer awards means you have to work harder for the recognition.”

When the interview is finally over I rush home to Penni and Anna. I make the most of the few hours we have together. The week is too short. It doesn’t feel like we have enough time to spend together as a family. It doesn’t feel like the team has enough time to prepare for the Mercs. These last four games are brutal. The Mercs might not have a great record, but they are a great team. We face the Pirates twice and the Miners again. We have our work cut out for us if we want to hold first place.

Anna brings Penni to the spaceport to see me off on Saturday morning. It’s a mixed bag of emotions as I board the shuttle. “Daddy’s going to make you proud.” I whisper under my breath as I wave my final good-bye.

Tags: @Vehn @Bardan_Jusik

Trieste likes this.
  8. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Mandalore

"What was that out there?" The Steaming Sabah berates defense, myself included, after giving up 32 points in a close loss to the Mercs, yet another hated rival. "Were you even trying? Did you forget how to play defense?" She prowls locking eyes with everyone. I can barely keep my head up. I'm still sweating, my muscles are aching, screaming at me, my joints feel like they are about to give out. "Seems we need more practice." That snaps my head up. I look to the others to the Veterans, to Erza, the team captain. Surely they need to speak up, I can see it on everyone's face, they are wiped, they are in pain.

This isn't Sabah's little kingdom where she can just torture us for succeeding, and for failing. She can't have it both ways can she?

I want to speak up, I want to say something but a harsh glare from Sabah stops me. Again I look to the veterans, to Zara my eyes pleading. I don't think we can last another hellish practice. There has to be an end, there has to be a break.

They do nothing, they just look away, silent.

This is madness, I know it, I can feel it…

"Once we get back home we hit the field again...I don't want another performance like that again you hear me?"

"Yes Coach…" most of the defense says.

I stay silent, keeping my thoughts to myself. We can't keep going like this we can't...

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik

Vehn, Trieste and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

I've got a fever...and the only prescription...is more limmie! :D

Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Mando'ade, and Ralltiir.

297 Week 7 Results
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Coruscant Senators (2-22)
    Bakura Miners at Carratos Pirates (11-36)
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Mando'ade Mercs (32-21)

Vehn likes this.
  10. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for: Cloud City (33), Tatooine (28), Concordia (28) and Atzerri (28)

Skimmer Ade League Week Seven Results
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Thyferra Force (21-25)
    Cloud City Sky Captains @ Atzerri Bandits (2-25)
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Concordia Crusaders (23-17)

Tags: @Vehn @Jedi Gunny @Trieste @galactic-vagabond422 @Bardan_Jusik

Trieste likes this.
  11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Carratos

“Whose brilliant idea was it to stay overnight after the game?” Flea asks. She’s clearly not thrilled that the team isn’t on the shuttle back to Bakura.

Bast shrugs. “They probably denied us an exit visa or something just to make sure we remembered we lost this one.”

And lost they had. After making a habit of close games, the Miners had never really been in the 36-11 defeat that the Pirates had handed them. There had been some successes, but they paled in comparison to the glaring mistakes the defense had made. As always, Iris Copin had been the point around which the Pirate attack had executed. This time her old mentor didn’t have an answer for one of the great players in the game today. Her former team had finally shown Cavanaugh something that she couldn’t counter and it showed in a big way. The home fans let the Miners know that they weren’t up to the task too. Even with this win, it was going to be a long time before they forgave the Miners for the ‘96 Final.

Flea lays back on the hotel bed to close her eyes, but that causes her to flash back to Natsu Dragon bearing down on her to deliver one of the many tackles she’d suffered during the game. With a groan, Flea opens her eyes again.

What she saw wasn’t much better. For some reason, just hours after being demolished on an actual limmie field, Bast is playing ELL 97, the officially-licensed holo game version of their day job. This was what Bast did every night when they were in a hotel on the road. If the way she was expertly manipulating the buttons and sticks of her controller was any indication, she probably did it every night she was at home too. The only thing that interrupted her gaming was when she would use the break provided by cutscenes to pick something off the room service order she’d had delivered.

“If it were just me, I think I’d do something productive like cry into a pillow and curse my existence,” Flea comments.

Bast looks at Flea out of the corner of her eye and pauses the game. She rolls over to the side of her bed, rummages inside a bag, and then rolls back, tossing Flea a controller in the process. “You can tag in.”

“Why do you have a second controller? In case the first one breaks?” Flea asks, looking at it from multiple angles like it’s a clue in an escape room or a murder weapon.

“No, it’s in case you wanted to play. I always have an extra,” Bast says, unpausing the game.

“That’s...uh...nice of you, but it’s not that I don’t understand video games…….OK actually I don’t understand them, but what I really don’t get is why as a professional limmie player you play the thing you do in real life instead of a game where you get to be a Jedi or a smuggler or something else that provides more of an escape,” Flea says.

“Because I can turn my brain off when I play. This is easy. Actual limmie is hard,” Bast says, her eyes following the action on the projector.

“There are other ways to relax,” Flea says. She squeezes her eyes half closed as she tentatively presses one button on the controller. A blue circle pops up under one of the limmie players. Flea assumes this is her and sure enough the player starts wandering in response to her manipulations.

“Not when you’re eleven years old, get cut from your Little League Limmie team, and Josie Anza tells you that you were only on the team because everybody gets to play through age ten,” Bast says.

“Josie Anza sounds like a flarknard,” Flea says as she tries to figure out exactly what she should be doing in the game. She starts by running in the opposite direction of the boloball.

“When I got my ELC with Commenor, I had my parents send her parents my signed jersey.”

“I hope you signed it ‘Flarknard, frak you, love Bast,’” Flea offers.

“Thought about it, but I’m pretty sure the sentiment was clear without explanation,” Bast says.

Neither of them talks as Flea gets her player moving in roughly the right direction.

“So is this what beings do when they play holo games? Make big, emotionally heavy confessions about their past?”

“Usually it involves a lot of yelling at the projector and calling other beings flarknards.”

“So we’re halfway there,” Flea concludes.

“Yep.”

They say nothing for another a minute and listen to the recording of the roar of the virtual crowd. Flea’s player somehow gets the boloball, which she immediately passes to Bast. It seems like the best strategy since she had no idea what she’s doing.

“So are we playing against some kid from Cato Neimoidia who’s going to p-own us or something?” Flea asks.

“Pwn, and no. We’re just playing against the computer,” Bast says.

“The computer is not good. It’s 50-2 right now.”

“I really hate that it scored that 2. I try to get shutouts every single time I play on Pro mode.”

“Blame it on me.”

“Too bad we couldn’t have adjusted down the difficulty level against the Pirates today.”

“Yeah, we were pretty bad today.”

“They tripled us up.”

“Iris Copin.”

“Iris freaking Copin.”

“Too bad she didn’t sign with us during the offseason.”

“Yeah. At least then she wouldn’t be destroying our defense.”

“I think Arin would have sacrificed her entire salary to have not had to have played today’s game against Copin.”

“I would have chipped in.”

“I wouldn’t have. I like credits.”

“What are you doing? You’re running the wrong way.”

Flea had rolled over on the bed to pick up the in-room comm. “Ordering room service. If we’re going to talk about how awesome the Pirates are, we’re going to need chocolate.”

“Preferably in or on ice cream,” Bast requests. “After this game want to play as the Sky Captains? I hear they programmed in some cool stuff for them in player celebrations and stadium flyovers and the like.”

“We couldn’t do any worse than they did today,” Flea points out.

“Rough day. Shutdown. Gaskin did not look good.”

“Dibs on Gaskin,” Flea calls as she waits for room service to pick up. “By the way, how easy is it to get injured in this game?”

“You can adjust the sliders so players basically have bones like toothpicks.”

“Yes, this Room...I forget what room it is. I’m sure you know what room I’m calling from. Please send us chocolate ice cream….I don’t know how much we want. Err on the side too much rather than too little.”

“So they’re sending us all the chocolate?”

“All the chocolate,” Flea confirms to Bast and then back to the comm. “Yes, that’ll be just fine.”

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422

12. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC TJ Allin

It has taken a while, but the Mercs home crowd is beginning to get nervous. They aren’t as loud as they were, even just a few minutes ago. Serene didn’t quite put the nail in the coffin just now, but she did put us up by 7 points. That’s a three score lead and stranger things have happened, but I think we can pull out a win here. Our defense is just as confident as they hold off a desperate offensive charge. Wiskey kicks the ball over the heads of several players and I run to retrieve it. Sancheese is wide open in front of the goal so I attempt a pass. The pass is a little wobbly since I have three defenders charging towards me. Sancheese manages to get control of the pass and settles for a bar point as defenders begin to close in on him.

Our defense holds again. Or more like our midfield as Tomas steals the ball. Everyone on field except Tomas covers someone. Tomas is clear to run up the field and secure a final point before the buzzer. We win! I’m not good at math but our odds at making the play-offs are looking better and better. My brother still says it’s possible for us to go home without a play-off appearance. All we have to do to insure that play-off appearance is win one more game. I plan to win that game next week.

I don’t care if it’s against the next best team in the league. Technically they are better than us at offense. By a measly two points. That’s about to change. We can win by three or more. I’m letting the competitive side of me, get the best of me. All we need is a win. Something to give our fans to cheer about. I don’t want to be walking out of an eerily quiet stadium next week like the one I’m leaving today.

The flight home couldn’t go by quickly enough. I wasn’t just anxious to reunite with Penni and Anna. I was anxious to start working on game plan for next week. I wanted to secure a play-off spot. I’m so anxious that even talking to Colt doesn’t make the minutes go by faster. Colt is delighted that the Sandskimmers have the largest point differential in the Skimmer Ade League by nearly 20 points. I tell him the same thing my dad always told me when I was winning by a large margin “Don’t get cocky.” I think it’s a Corellian phrase, because I don’t think I’ve heard it from anyone else in those exact words.

“We both need to be extra cautious this week,” I remind Colt. “We are about to face an opponent we haven’t played this season.”

“I know,” Colt says with a little of distress in his voice. “The Bandits are a decent team too. A team we have to really watch out for. How do you feel about facing the Pirates?” He asks.

“Nervous,” I admit. “It’s the last time in my career that I’ll face a new team for the first time.”

“Doubtful,” Colt says.

“What do you mean? I faced all the other teams already.”

“Things in the League change all the time. The commissioner could demote or promote any team at any time.” Colt reminds me.

“Not anytime, but during the off-season. You’re right,” I concede. “Let’s just win these games,” I add. Of course, now that I thought of the offseason all I can think about is my 21st Birthday. “You can come to Ralltiir for the offseason to visit. I’ll finally be 21 and we can go out for drinks like we did on Tatooine.”

“You are so young,” Colt marvels. I don’t think much of it. I hear it all the time. “I’m going to throw you the best damn 21st. It’ll be almost as much fun as winning a Limmie championship.”

“Don’t say that I caution,” we both know what I’m getting at and we change the subject to a holo game release he is looking forward to.

When the shuttle finally lands I race to the speeder wondering why Anna didn’t get out to greet me. Turns out Penni is asleep in her safety seat. So we whisper the whole way home, only to have Penni wake up when we get there and ruin our hopes for some alone time.

All week I work on my shot, I work on blocking defenders so my teammates can get open and I work on some calming exercises. It’s getting real now. The season is winding down. I don’t want to miss the play-offs and I don’t want it to end like last season. We did get to the finals and the unthinkable happened. I try not to let my mind go there. Stay in the here and now, I tell myself. Beat the Pirates.

Tag @galactic-vagabond422 @Bardan_Jusik

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Trieste likes this.
  13. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny but cool Taungsday afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz over on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Yeah the end of the Mercs season..."

"Not officially."

"Close enough."

"After that 32 to 21 loss to the Starkillers? Yeah probably..."

"Yeah."

"...as the Mercs now stand two and five on the season with just three left to go as they head to Coruscant next week, the first of back to back games against the Senators."

"Week eight, first time we see the Sens this season, and then we play them in back to back weeks."

"Yeah, what a schedule."

"Then we were done with the Miners in week four."

"Playing each team twice a year now, you'd think it wouldn't take this long to get to the first match up between teams, but here we are."

"Then here we are."

"And it's against the team ahead of the Mercs in the standings."

"Like that matters anymore."

"Sure it matters, as long as there is hope you know the Mercs won't give up."

"OK, so even if they sweep the Sens, that puts them in fourth, one spot out of the post season."

"True, but it's still an important step."

"It would take three wins in a row and a lot of help to make the Mercs playoff bound."

"Yeah..."

"And that's for a team that has won just two all year."

"Yeah."

"So I am here to tell you, it's not happening."

"Yeah..."

TAG: @Runjedirun

Trieste likes this.
  14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Championship week for the Power Five is complete and we've got all the pollsters need to fill out the playoff brackets..."

"Going to be a fun post season this year!"

"We'll start here at home where number four KMI weathered an early storm from U of Garos in the SEC title game before a late goal brought them the win 21 to 20..."

"They needed that."

"I think they were in the playoff anyway, even with a loss."

"Yeah, but a loss to an unranked opponent could have really ruined their seeding..."

"True, they'll keep a top five ranking now."

"Of course the big story is the loss by number one Chandrila A&M..."

"Oh yeah!"

"...to number six Ord Sabaok 22 to 17 in the Super 16 championship."

"Second year in a row they've knocked off number one Chandrila A&M!"

"And look how that played out for the Aggies eventually."

"That will probably see a new number one seed going nto the tournament, and that will porbably be former number two University of Zeltros who beat University of Bison 24 to 19 to capture the BIG 20 title."

"Yeah they'll be number one, but the StarBucks are going to crash the top five I bet."

"You see them ranked ahead of KMI?"

"Maybe, after the Warriors barely eked out a win, yeah I could see it."

"Meanwhile in the Rim 10, number 15 University of Ord Mantell assuredly did enough to stay in the playoff field with a 19 to 16 win over number eight Royal College of Hapes..."

"Hapes might be out after that..."

"I doubt it, they will be on the bottom half of the bracket for sure though."

"And last but not least, number 24 Enarch Technical University beat number 10 Cloud City University, Bespin 18 to 16 in the RAAC 10 title game."

"Not going to be enough to put E-Tech in the playoff, but man what a good game and a great way for those seniors to end their careers."

"Probably not enough to knock Cloud City out either."

"Probably not."

"So now we wait word from the final HSN poll to set the playoff brackets. Until then, I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

HSN Final Top 25 (LW)

1. University of Zeltros (2)
    2. Chandrila A&M University (1)
    3. Keldabe Military Institute (4)
    4. The Ord Sabaok University (6)
    5. University of Kashyyyk (3)
    6. Coruscant Polytechnic Institute (5)
    7. University of Csilla (7)
    8. Druckenwell Technical University (9)
    9. Wookiee Forrest Institute (11)
    10. Royal College of Hapes (8)
    11. Cloud City University, Bespin (10)
    12. Ralltiir University (12)
    13. University of Ord Mantell (15)
    14. Duro State University (13)
    15. University of Onderon Rupings (14)
    16. Bakura Fleet Academy (16)
    17. Prytis College of Natural Sciences (17)
    18. Tipoca City College, Kamino (18)
    19. Gargarrump University, Kashyyyk (19)
    20. Bilbringi University (20)
    21. Grand Vulptur System University (21)
    22. University of Bison (22)
    23. Enarch Technical University (24)
    24. Derrling College of Technology (23)
    25. University of Northern Dependencies, Corsin (25)

GCAA College Bolo-Ball Playoff: Starting 16

• Republic Bowl: #1 University of Zeltros vs. #16 Bakura Fleet Academy
    • Papa Palpatine Bowl: #2 Chandrila A&M University vs. #15 University of Onderon Rupings
    • Incom Bowl: #3 Keldabe Military Institute (Mandalore) vs. #14 Duro State University
    • Bank of the Core Bowl: #4 The Ord Sabaok University vs. #13 University of Ord Mantell
    • SoroSuub Bowl: #5 University of Kashyyyk vs. #12 Ralltiir University
    • Mining Guild Bowl: #6 Coruscant Polytechnic Institute vs. #11 Cloud City University, Bespin
    • Sienar Bowl: #7 University of Csilla vs. #10 Royal College of Hapes
    • Skimmer Ade Bowl: #8 Druckenwell Technical University vs. #9 Wookiee Forrest Institute

15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• With 297 Bak10 season in the holobooks, projected third place finisher Bakura Fleet Academy takes home the conference championship
    • 296 champion PCNS finishes behind Fleet Academy, despite a final week win against them
    • Kerry Trieste: “The system doesn’t reward parity. We’ve always understood that”
      • “Fleet Academy had one win on PCNS this season. Even though the Rangers won their head-to-head match up, that overall record is rewarded what puts them ahead”
      • “We were watching the conference championship games closely. There was a good chance that Fleet Academy was going to get moved out of the playoffs”
      • On whether the Ensigns could win it all: “That’s the beautiful thing about playoffs. It just takes four straight wins now”
    • With standings now settled, BBC Sports’ season predictions turn out to be an average of 1.8 spots off across the Bak10
      • Only team whose finish was correctly predicted was eighth place UB Cape Suzette (8)
      • Four teams were predicted within one spot of their actual finish (College of Deredith & Millicent, UB Salis D’aar, Atalanta University, UB Gesco City)
      • Biggest deviation was Tiarest University, which finished fifth but was projected to finish ninth
      • BBC Sports head of analytics: “Not a bad year for us! Not exactly champagne-worthy, but we’ll take it!”
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Carratos

Practice as promised starts early after the loss to Mandalore. My muscles ache, my joints are stiff. I am not up to doing this, I know it, but coach doesn't seem to think so. She is already running us through drill after drill. I know I'm not the only one feeling this pain, Zara, Vahva, even Mighty Mo. We are all a step slow, we can't come into this next game like this. I look to Coach Sabah her hard gaze sweeping across the field. There is no pity, no sympathy, for the players. She has to know we can't keep going like this, that it is hurting our chances, wearing us down. The next game against the Miners was going to be difficult as it was. This wouldn't help.

The whistle sounds calling for an end to that drill. The defense comes in to receive orders. I'm hoping for a break, I can see that we all are hoping for that. We are sweating, and breathing heavy slow to move. It would take a blind person to not see the pain we all are in. This cannot continue.

"Take five, catch your breath, then we run bar point stops." The collective groan could likely be heard from orbit. None of us could recover in five minutes. This is insane, she has to see that I can't keep going like this.

"Coach." I finally say head hanging. "Can we get more than five, like maybe a hundred?" I take another breath, my lungs burning and my head light. "Or better yet 1,440…" How I remembered that number is beyond even me, but I don't have the energy to figure that out.

"You getting tired Jenny?" Coach Sabah turned around eyes filled with anger. "Cause I see about a dozen more players that can keep going."

"Really…" I shoot back. "You really see that." I turn to my teammates hoping they will back me up, praying I'm not doing this alone. "We're not even in the playoffs yet. I may just be a rookie but, is it always like this?"

"They are real players Jenny. They don't give up, unlike you."

"Frack you coach." I snap around spitting fury. "I'm not giving up...I am asking for a day...one day...to recover. We have been running flat out for 6 weeks, every day, with only sleeping and eating breaking up practice or games." The glower from the coach would have made my blood run cold had it not been boiling. "Look I get it, we've been lackluster the last few years. We've been carried by the offense. But, at what point will it be enough? When will you be satisfied? When we are all run into the ground, when the injuries start piling up?"

"I can cut you and have another young rookie or free agent in your place tomorrow."

"Then go ahead. Do it...My career and body will thank you for it." I shake my head. "Because I will gladly go back to the Carratos League if it means I get to preserve my health for another year, or two."

I lock eyes with the Pirates' Legend. I know in the back of my mind I might be throwing away everything I worked for. But in the end, there is something more important than my health and my soul for lack of a better word. I used to love this sport, get up every day hopeful and full of joy about getting to play. Now it has been a slog. I know that it can't always be happy fun times. I'm not a child. It's just these practices have been feeling more like torture not getting ready for a game.

"Go get out of here if you want to quit."

"Fine." I walk away, slowly and stiffly, through the pain that has set in. At my stall I start throwing my things into a bag. I knew what I was doing, what I was asking for when I spoke up. There had to be a time to stand up and say enough. I just reached that point before anyone else. I see everyone taking their five and I let out a breath. The guilt rising up in me, I'm getting out of this pain, escaping this prison. I made my choice and now I have to live with it. I won't lie, a part of me is relieved. I can finally get the rest I need, sleep for a whole day, all the things I've been wishing for. I can finally get them...at the cost of the thing I've dreamed about since I was a little girl.

Though I guess they're right when they say be careful what you wish for. I hang my head, tears coming to my eyes. I've wanted this for so long, and now, I'm walking away from it. All the work I've done I'm just letting it all turn to ash. Regret falls over me, cuts me to the bone. What were all the sacrifices for leading up to this? Did they mean nothing?

As I make my long march towards the exit I see a figure coming towards me. My eyes widen with a sudden realization, a man sat in a hoverchair with a shining gold eye. I quickly look for a place to hide choosing to duck into a niche and pressing my back against the wall. I close my eyes hoping he doesn't see me, that he doesn't notice me. I don't want anyone to see me like this, least of all coach Manx-Sandin.

I hear the hoverchair move past and I open my eyes thinking I made it.

"Sabah having you all play hide and seek?" He calls out his back still toward me. "If you are I'd suggest finding another place." He let out a good natured chuckle. Turning around with a goofy grin on his face.

I try to match his grin but it's hard to do so through tears.

"Aww, how'd you find me…" I say trying to put a light hearted tone in my voice but it only broke under the stain.

"You see my eye can see through walls, and predict what someone is going to do before they do it." The head coach says with a theatrical tone, dramatically gesturing to his artificial eye. I can help but giggle a little. I'm not used to seeing this side of coach. He's always serious or uplifting, hopeful. Now he is just joking around. "It was your bag." He continues pointing at my large gym bag. "Kinda hard to hide it." His voice is quieter, softer. "So what are you really doing. Coach Sabah let you out of practice early?"

"Wait." I start eyes narrowing at him. "You know about these?"

"About the light practices on rest days, yeah. I trust her, she said the defense needed them. I didn't see the harm. It's just some tape review and light conditioning...and some fun and games."

"You think these are fun and games?" I shoot back exhausted and bewildered. "Light it not the word I would use."

"What do you mean." He says with seeming genuine concern. "What is going on?"

"Go and see for yourself…" I turn away tears coming back. How did he not know?

"Wait, what is going on?" I don't look back. I can't look back. How did I feel worse.

TAG: @Trieste

Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for everyone in their bonnets today: Bakura, Carratos, Mando'ade, and Ralltiir. (You know what I mean.)

297 Week 8 Results
    Carratos Pirates at Ralltiir Starkillers (1-29)
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Bakura Miners (10-32)
    Mando'ade Mercs at Coruscant Senators (27-11)

HSN Headlines
    • HSN projects Ralltiir Starkillers have secured a Galactic Cup Playoff spot
    • Nar Shaddaa Smugglers mathematically eliminated from playoff race

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Vehn likes this.
  18. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for: Cloud City (33), Tatooine (33), Concordia (28) and Atzerri (28)

Skimmer Ade League Week Eight Results
    Atzerri Bandits @ Tatooine Sandskimmers (19-30)
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Cloud City Sky Captains (9-32)
    Concordia Crusaders @ Thyferra Force (24-0)

Tags @galactic-vagabond422 @Vehn @Trieste @Bardan_Jusik @Jedi Gunny

Trieste likes this.
  19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    En route to Nar Shaddaa

Flea lays back in her seat on the shuttle with her eyes closed a smile on her face. She’s thinking about all the things that went right in yesterday’s game against the Smugglers. It was the Miners’ biggest win in terms of point differential this season, 22 points. Granted, they’d allowed the Smugglers their second-best offensive production this season, but it was hard not to feel good about a wire-to-wire victory.

She felt this had been her best game all season. Flea had played against Aurora Windreaver, scion of a longtime Smuggler. Even though she was the more seasoned midfielder (it did seem like teams were actively picking on her by putting their better players against her), Flea had been able to handle Windreaver by minimizing her chances and maximizing her own. She figured next week wouldn’t be so easy. Not only would they be in Vehn Memorial Coliseum, but the back-to-back play meant that Windreaver would have Flea’s style of play fresh in her mind. The reverse was true, but Flea figures that Aurora was going to put in a lot of holo time in preparation for the immediate rematch.

Flea had to give it to Bast--unwinding with the video games seemed to have done some good. Maybe it was confirmation bias, but it was almost like they’d played better together as a result. However, that couldn’t be true. Video games were trash that ruined your brain. For example, Bast was playing that datapad game about cats and the Clone Wars. What was it called?

“Obi-Wan Catnobi,” Flea murmurs. She can’t help but smile at the only thing about the game she can remember. “I do like a good pun.”

“Are you talking to me or someone else?”

Flea’s eyes flip open. Harle Quinn peers over the back of the seat in front of her. She looks like she’s a kid peeking over the fence to spy on her neighbors, with everything below her eyes hidden by the headrest and the tips of her fingers hooked over so Flea can see them.

“Uh...just to myself,” Flea says. “Do you always look at people when they’re sleeping?”

Harle opens her mouth and then pauses. “Is this one of those questions that Pammy tells me I probably shouldn’t answer?”

“I’m going to go ahead and say yes?” Flea guesses with a look at you.

“You did it!” Harle says, clutching the seat back more tightly.

“Did what?” Flea asks in surprise.

“The thing! You did the thing!”

“Typical Harle. a couple meilooruns short of a basket.”

“You did it again!” Harle exclaims with excitement.

“I am not doing anything! Except talking to you. Which doesn’t speak well to my sanity, come to think of it,” Flea supposes.

“Gah!” Harle says, pointing.

“Gah!” Flea says, recoiling.

“You do this thing where all of a sudden it’s like you’re somewhere else,” Harle says.

“No I don’t. No I don’t,” Flea insists with a shrug meant for you.

“There!”

“Oh is she doing the thing again?” Bast asks, climbing into the seat next to Harle and looking over the back at Flea. She’s brought a halfway finished donut with her.

“There is not a thing,” Flea insists.

“Have I been missing the thing the whole time?” Harle asks Bast.

“It’s more noticeable when you share a hotel room with her week after week,” Bast says.

“Oh for Force sake,” Flea says, putting her head in her hand.

“What are we talking about?” Bree asks from across the aisle, taking her earbuds out.

“The thing!” Harle replies.

“What thing?” Bree says.

“The Flea thing,” Bast informs her.

“Oh that thing,” Bree says. “Got it. She did that on Cloud City too.”

“There is no thing!” Flea insists.

“What’s the thing that isn’t a thing?” Horst asks.

“Oh this is going to go well,” Flea sighs.

“That thing!” Harle says, just about jumping up and down as she points at Flea.

“What thing?” Horst blinks with confusion.

“The Flea thing,” Bast says.

“Oh that thing!” Horst says.

“You have got to be joking,” Flea groans. Horst noticing anything that didn’t directly deal with playing limmie was usually not going to help the situation.

“I saw it on the HoloNet once,” Horst continues.

“It’s on the HoloNet?” Harle says.

“Of course it is! It’s classic!”

“Somebody Force choke me now.”

“The thing’s on first, the stuff’s on second, and the dohicky’s on third,” Horst says.

“No, that’s another thing,” Harle says.

“They’re at first,” Horst replies.

“No, this is a different matter entirely,” Harle says.

“OK so I might have gotten distracted part way through bit. Is matter on home?”

Flea smiles at you as she settles in. “Hey Bast, got any snacks?”

“Wait! Matter’s at shortstop!” Horst exclaims.

“Why are we talking about lightball? Nobody likes lightball,” Alexa Superspy asks, coming up to the conversation.

“Oh! Let me explain! It has to do with this thing that’s on first. So right now Flea’s on first. Wait, or is Flea in right field?”

Bast hands a donut to Flea. “This is going to be good.”

“Any time someone tries to follow Horst’s logic, it’s a fine time,” Flea says happily.

TAG: @Vehn

Runjedirun likes this.
  20. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a cool and hey is that snow?"

"It is..."

"Wow. on top of all this now it's snowing."

"At least it's a victory afternooooon!"

"Haven't had many of those this season."

"Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz over on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Mercs hanging onto their post season hopes by a thread."

"Those scant hopes would have been totally dashed though had they not pulled off a convincing 27 to 11 win over the Senators at Coruscant, and now the two teams turn around and prepare for a rematch on Mandalore next week."

"Both teams sitting at three and five now on the season, both clearly out of the current playoff picture, but either one could, could, move into striking range with a win next week and some help from other teams around the league."

"Yeah, the loser next week will be out, the winner though has a chance if the Miners and Pirates..."

"Or, it could be either or."

"Right, if either the Miners or Pirates collapse down the stretch the Mercs might still have a shot at the postseason, but it all hinges on this upcoming game against the Senators."

"Well Mercs played well against them here..."

"Getting a bonus roll while Gunny missed out helped there."

"...but that doesn't mean anything going forward."

"I expect not, the Sens will have learned their lessons after a beating like that, and hopefully the Mercs players are sitting high on their laurels thinking this will be an easy repeat performance."

"At three and five on the year, they have no reason to be over confident in any setting."

"Yeah, and even with a win their chances don't look particularly great."

"I like to see that they are still fighting though, this is a flawed team, certainly not in the top tier this season...'

"Well the top tier is the Starkillers alone, I mean c'mon seven and one."

"Sure sure, but even the second tier in the Miners and Pirates are clearly better teams than the Mercs."

"True enough, and that's why even getting to the post season, especially with the hole they've dug themselves is going to be tough."

"it's also why i think they decided to shut down Stargazer for the rest of the season."

"Yeah, not a great look from the front office, certainly not a vote of confidence in their chances here as the season winds down, but probably the better choiuce for an aging player to save some wear and tear on her coming off an injury."

"I think they're looking out for the player there, no sense in rushing her back for what is in all likelihood a lost season."

"Of course stranger things have happened."

"In this game, one almost comes to expect them."

21. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Tourny time is here again, and were we ever treated to some amazing games for the Starting Sixteen..."

"Man that SoroSuub Bowl was intense."

"Not as crazy as the CoreBank..."

"You would say that."

"Let's start at the top where number one overall seed University of Zeltros took care of business against number 16 Bakura Fleet 16 to three in the Republic Bowl."

"That was a hard one to watch, the Ensigns worked so hard to get there and then were just dominated from start to finish."

"Still an accomplishment for a non power five team just to be there."

"The Papa Palpatine Bowl saw a closer matchup between number two Chandrila A&M University and number 15 University of Onderon Rupings before the higher seed pulled away late leading to a 25 to 18 win for the Aggies."

"Man they are going to be tough."

"My StarBucks can beat them."

"The higher seeds continued to hold off any upsets in the Incom Bowl as number three Keldabe Military Institute took out number 14 Duro State 25 to 14."

"That game wasn't even that close, Warriors allowed a bunch of late points in garbage time."

"Yeah they looked dominant, they're a dark horse to win this thing."

"No body really talking about the Warriors are they?"

"Well we are right now."

"Ha!"

"That brings us to the Bank of the Core Bowl..."

"My heart is still recovering after watching that one."

"...which saw number 13 University of Ord Mantell take number four The Ord Sabaok University to the brink of elimination before a late goal by the StarBucks put Ord Sabaok up for good 26 to 25."

"Never should have been that close..."

"Yeah, but what a game."

"Just hoping it helps them deal with nerves if they are in a close game later in the tournament."

"The SoruSuub Bowl was just as close, but here the tournament saw it's first upset as number 12 Ralltiir University preserved a win over number five University of Kashyyyk when the wookiee's last second shot clanged off the goalpost."

"The wails of anguish those wookiees let out when that shot missed..."

"Yeah, I'll never forget that."

"The upsets continued in the Mining Guild Bowl as number 11 Cloud City University, Bespin downed number six Coruscant Polytechnic Institute 21 to 13."

"Cloud City is a great team that took a tumble in the rankings with some hard losses late, if they play up to form, watch them go on a run here."

"Think they could upset the field and take the title?"

"It's possible, it's certainly possible."

"Meanwhile, the Sinear Bowl saw yet another upset as number ten Royal College of Hapes won going away 28 to 21 over number seven University of Csilla."

"Lot's of upsets in the bottom part of these rankings..."

"I think it shows how top heavy this particular tourney is, the best of the best at the top are immune to these sorts of upsets against the weaker teams at the bottom while the teams from five back through 12 are pretty tightly packed."

"Parity makes for a fun tournament."

"Yeah it does."

"Speaking of parity, the Skimmer Ade Bowl between number eight Druckenwell Technical University and number nine Wookiee Forrest Institute saw the first round's only overtime game."

"That was a really fun game to watch."

"I missed it."

"You missed a good one."

"Yeah I know, was still recovering from the StarBucks thriller."

"Tied at 23 all, WFI only managed a single bar point in the OT period while DTU put in six straight points to take the win 29 to 24. Druckenwell Tech moving on."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

GCAA 297 Bolo Ball Playoff: Elite Eight

• Dos Iziz Bowl: #1 University of Zeltros vs. #8 Druckenwell Technical University
    • Beskar Bowl, presented by MandalMotors: #2 Chandrila A&M University vs. #10 Royal College of Hapes
    • Carnation Bowl: #3 Keldabe Military Institute (Mandalore) vs. #11 Cloud City University, Bespin
    • Party Bowl: #4 The Ord Sabaok University vs. #12 Ralltiir University

22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: TJ Allin

It’s a rough start, the Pirates defense has stopped us cold twice. Specifically me; first the ball was stolen in a fight I thought I could win and then one of my passes was intercepted. I’m discouraged, but I’m not giving up. Tomas hasn’t given up on me either. Another pass comes my way. I pick up my speed as I dribble towards the goal. How can this be? A clear path. My teammates are doing an excellent job with their blocks. I look right as if I will pass to Serene, instead I kick forward and score us our first three points.

It feels like the game gets easier from here, it always does. Your nerves dissipate after that first goal. This one somehow is different. It feels even easier than it should. Perhaps the Pirates defense is just tired. We are getting towards the end of the season. It’s why I’m not surprised that once our lead is solid Coach Teaspoon calls most of us starters out of the game. Watching the victory from the bench is rewarding. I know I did well enough that I can rest and I know some of my teammates who don’t always get quality minutes are able to get more today.

After the handshakes I head into to locker room. My mind is on getting home and spending as much time with Penni and Anna before my upcoming road trips. The season ends with two away games. Instead of a clear lane to my locker I’m greeted with an outstretched arm. “What’s this?” I ask taking the fizzy drink.

“We get fizz, since we are under 21 the water boy tells me,” I look at the fizz confused.

Uncle Tomas overhears the conversation and rushed over with a bottle of champagne. “We secured a play-off spot, nephew. That means we celebrate.” My uncle pops the bottle of champagne and the whole team cheers. I remember being a part of these locker room celebrations when my dad was coach. Somehow I forgot we could even secure a play-off spot today. It’s surreal.

Anna and Penni show up in the locker room along with every relative I can imagine who lives on Ralltiir or who had the chance to get here. I give my little brother a hug, he isn’t even qualified to be called little anymore. He’s taller than me! When did that happen? Serene’s Mom, Aunt Georgia, who’s been travelling to all the games this season is there with my cousin Prince. Even my little sister makes an appearance. To be honest she looks like she’s been dragged down here and crosses her arms angrily as she stands against the wall instead of celebrating.

“More fizz?” I ask as I try to make conversation with her.

“Hard pass,” Cammie replies.

Despite myself I laugh at her curt reply.

“I’m taking care of my body,” she informs me. “I don’t consume excess amounts of sugar and I don’t let myself be assaulted in sports.”

“So you’re not happy for me?” I ask trying to sound offended.

“I don’t want Penni to be an orphan.” Cammie says flatly.

We’ve had this conversation before. Well not this exact conversation. She’s never brought up Penni before. Cammie has told me and Ezra that we should quit Limmie. More than once. “If I get injured I’ll listen to the trainers.” I promise for the 100th time, “Besides we have hand band aids. What happened to dad can’t happen to me. Are you still designing t-shirts?” I ask hoping to change the subject.

“Clothes,” she corrects me. “I’m working to have two of everything made so that when I sell one item an equal item gets donated to the shelter. For someone that actually needs it.”

“That’s really cool,” I tell my sister. It’s something dad would be proud of, but I don’t want to bring up my father again. “Let’s go find my wife and your niece.” I say. “I know Penni would love to see you.”

Cammie follows me as I make my way through the crowded locker room to where Anna is sitting quietly on a bench by herself with Penni in her lap sipping on fizz. “She’ll never get to sleep tonight,” I say.

“Congrats on the play-off berth,” Anna says formally.

“You gave a baby fizz?” My sister squeals.

“She’s a year and a half,” I say in Anna’s defense.

“Maybe she would be better off as an orphan,” my sister says.

Anna gives me a questioning look. “Come here baby girl,” I say completely forgetting the words said moments ago. “Daddy wants a hug.”

“Hug,” Penni says as I put my arms around her and lift her up into the air.

“Here,” I hand her over to Cammie.

Cammie holds her and looks her up and down. “You need a new dress. I am going to design one for you.”

By the time we get home I am too tired to do anything except collapse into my bed. When I get up the next morning I find Anna and Penni asleep on the couch in the living room. She does that when she can’t get Penni to sleep and she doesn’t want to disturb me. I appreciate it more than she knows. To show some gratitude I make caf and some breakfast. It’s a good morning and a lazy day. Just what I need before we begin preparation for round two against the Pirates.

We all know it won’t be so easy to beat the Pirates in their stadium. No one is really sure how we pulled off such a solid victory this past week. We are grateful. We are also hopeful to get another win, but being hopeful wont’ be enough. It will also take a lot of hard work. I put in the work. I feel confident as I board the shuttle to Carratos.

Two years ago when I found out Anna was pregnant I felt like I had let myself down. I thought playing for the team my family owned was a cop out. I didn’t deserve it. Now I had proven I belong here. We are headed to the play-offs in my rookie season. Aside from wishing every day that my dad was still here to see me play. To see his own hard work in teaching me the game paid off. I’d say I’m the luckiest guy alive.

@galactic-vagabond422

Trieste and galactic-vagabond422 like this.
  23. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Roh Varr
    My apartment, Carratos

I let out a breath looking at the ceiling. I'm on 'bedrest' Coach Sabah's orders. It feels like punishment, that I spoke up and now I'm getting put in time out. Not that I'm too broken up. I get to sleep in, let my muscles recover. I'm almost back to normal, and I'll take that over being put through hell, which would likely be worse after what happened at practice. Though there is still that guilt of getting out of practice, escaping the forced march Coach Sabah is putting on. I feel for the others I really do. I just had to speak my mind, and likely my exile was to protect me as much as punish me. I don't want Mighty Mo to find a new way to make my life even more difficult.

I roll over on the couch looking at the holo projector showing some analysis of the upcoming game against the Starkillers. I only half listen getting up to make something light. Checking my messages I have one from my brother. He says he's doing well at his new job, managing some repair shop. It keeps him busy, almost as busy as me. He was always good with his hands, and with people. It is the perfect job for him.

He is the one that raised me, working hard at odd jobs and low wage work. He kept me going so I could pursue my dreams. I don't know if he has time, but I would like to hang out with him. I've been too worn down to really spend time with him. It would be nice to spend some time with him.

I setup a time and go back to watching the holo, getting some practice in for when I'll be sitting on the bench. That is if I'm even allowed to go to the game.

Ralltiir

Somehow some way I'm allowed to come with the team, dispite not being at practice for a week. Not like I got to do much as the team was blown out. The defense looked sluggish, and I don't miss the harsh looks from Mighty Mo, as sweat poured down her brow. I shrink away and I'm made to watch while my team is torn apart right in front of me.

Is this my fault, am I the reason this all happened?

I still have these questions as I sit alone on the shuttle, just wishing to talk to my brother.

TAG: @Runjedirun

24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Mando'ade, and Ralltiir. Also, this schedule may not be as random as I thought. Gonna have to get on that for next season!

297 Week 9 Results
    Bakura Miners at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (17-6)
    Coruscant Senators at Mando'ade Mercs (11-5)
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Carratos Pirates (0-7)

HSN Headlines
    • HSN projects Carratos Pirates and Bakura Miners have secured remaining playoff spots
    • Ralltiir Starkillers will secure Commissioner's Trophy with a win against Miners in Week 10
    • In the event of a 7-3 tie between Miners, Starkillers, and Pirates, Bakura Miners will win tiebreak based on 3-1 record in four games vs Starkillers and Pirates required to create tiebreak
    • Carratos Pirates cannot win Commissioner's Trophy

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for: Cloud City (28), Tatooine (28), Concordia (28) and Atzerri (28)

Skimmer Ade League Week Nine Results
    Cloud City Sky Captains @ Druckenwell Marksmen (21-25)
    Thyferra Force @ Concordia Crusaders (1-28)
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Atzerri Bandits (2-18)

Tags: @Trieste @Vehn @Jedi Gunny @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422

Trieste likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.