main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Embedded Video Heavy] ITT We Discuss Who Did The Song Better

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Mar 20, 2018.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

See to me, it's a song about a river boat. They aren't exactly speed boats. I imagine the song as more laid back to fit the real feel of rolling on the river.

As for Hallelujah... Yeah both the original and Buckley are great. I too love Cohen and his version is of course iconic, and it's one of the best written songs of all time.

However, I'm inclined to go with Stephen here and say Buckley's take is somehow even better than Cohen, which is remarkable. When he sings "it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah", it sounds like it. The spare electric guitar sounds like a modern harp. It just fits the imagery so well.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I always liked the Rufus Wainwright version from the Shrek soundtrack. :p

Now here's a Sophie's Choice for me. One of my favorite Beatles songs is While My Guitar Gently Weeps. What's not to love? The insane amount of talent poured into it is very evident throughout the song. Freaking Clapton letting loose while Harrison carries the vocals. It's like, who the hell would even attempt to touch that?

So if any of you haven't seen Kubo and the Two Strings one, check it out, it's a pretty awesome stop-motion action-adventure film, and two, it heavily features an instrument called a shamisen, a sort of Eastern version of a banjo. So capping the film off during the credits is a cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps by Regina Spektor of all people. When I first heard it I was just like whoa. Not only is her singing great, but the cover eschews the rock origins of the song and goes with a totally Eastern sound, featuring among other instruments a shamisen.

Honestly it's really hard for me to compare the two versions. I'll let y'all decide if Regina's version holds a candle to the original.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It absolutely stands up next to the original. Like you say, they're so different, but that's what makes it feel like you don't even have to choose between the two. Sometimes a radical reinvention is exactly what elevates a cover to classic status and I think this one gets there. I heard the song before I saw the movie and I loved it instantly. I'm not going to say it's better than the original because it's so different that you just really have to have them both in your music library, but when it comes to covering the Beatles, it's rare enough to be able to even say that a cover is as good as the original, but that's what I'm saying here. They're both great, in their own ways. It's great enough actually that it kind of makes you wish Harrison was still around to hear it. I imagine he would have liked it. And me honestly thinking that George Harrison would have liked a cover of own of his own songs . . . that's the highest praise I can give it.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I'll stop with just 3; there's at least a dozen more contenders. Sinatra and Holliday are consummate musicians, no doubt, but I'm going to go with the Marcels cuz they're just so much fun.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I gotta go with Sinatra.

I've got a 'Who did it better?" of my own:

And

These are almost impossible for me to chose from. They are both incredibly good. Oftentimes which version I listen to comes down to who I'm in the mood to listen too. A lot of times, it's Phil's version, but Cyndi's is incredibly good too.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I definitely go with the Marcels on Blue Moon. Plus, I think it was the one used for the end credits to An American Werewolf in London and that's one of the great "final shot transition to end credits" moments in cinema history. So bleak and tragic. I love when a movie really nails that contrast of a sudden up-tempo or super-happy music choice making a moment even darker than it already was.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    This matchup I call Sarge versus Millennials. :p

Rock has a lot of roots in blues, which in turn gets some of its roots from folk. So naturally rock and folk can intersect, like when Kurt Cobain sang a Lead Belly song at the end of a live MTV performance. Lead Belly didn't actually write Where Did You Sleep Last Night, but until the Nirvana show his version was the most famous. Suffice to say people don't remember him as well as that grunge band from Seattle.

Nonetheless, I think his version has a lot to offer, even if now it has to compete with what effectively turned out to be the swan song of an incredibly talented musician.

(the song starts around the 3-minute mark, but the banter leading up to it is pretty great)

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Your opinions are all wrong.

Anyway if you're doing Bowie, at least do "Sorrow"

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    My wife and I were having the Cock/Ring debate the other day

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So I was watching Moulin Rouge last night...

My gooodness, the Roxanne Tango gives me chills! The raw anger in his voice (contrasted with the plaintive cries of Sting’s vocals), simply amazing! And that’s not even getting to the “Why does my heart cry” portion!

11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    cocker's version of 'with a little help...." is so different than Beatles,. almost a different song.
    They won't go when i got is equally good by Wonder, but somehow Michael's is even more dramatic imo.
    Lastly Elvis Presley's verison of Blue Moon would be worth the consideration

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Tango de Roxanne is an incredible improvement and reinterpretation. Yes it's even more powerful when combined with the visuals in the film. But it is still 10x more powerful than the original without that. Luhrman is a genius.

Btw, ice dancers Virtue and Moir gave us another wonderful visual accompaniment with their free dance this season.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [face_laugh]

or

I'm so old, I heard the disco version on the radio before I heard the "real" version. Obviously John Williams is the winner, but MECO is always a nostalgia trip for me.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No, you've left out the obvious winner.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Speaking of weird disco . . .

Anybody remember when Scissor Sisters were like the hot new thing for about ten minutes? Well, the one sure thing they left is this insane disco-infused cover of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb.

I'm a huge fan of Floyd, of course, but I just love this cover so much. The falsetto vocals have such longing in the chorus and the strength of the song is that it translates so well to Bee Gees pastiche: "I . . . I . . . I've become comfortably numb." But the moment that truly sells it is in that second verse; the "there'll be no more . . ." is followed by a fantastic wordless disco vocal backed by a snare drum flourish that just sells it. This cover seems to be universally loathed, but I'm against the crowd on this one. When I think of this song now, it's the Scissor Sister version I think of; and it's the one I listen to more often now.

16. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Speaking of prog rock... let's talk about The Boss. :p

Y'know, he's just a simple guy from Jersey who loves to sing about cars and women. A real working class kinda guy who can wax reminiscent on the American way of life, both its highs and its lows. Some of that is encapsulated in Blinded By the Light, a bit of a folksy tune that had hints of the style he'd utilize in later songs like Born in the USA and Born to Run. Forgettable right? Well it was until Manfred Mann's Earth Band got ahold of it and turned up the synth. Their version catapulted it into straight up rock ballad territory, and they ended up creating a far more soulful and memorable take.

17. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005

Does this confuse things?

18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol WTF that actually worked. =D=

19. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    @Todd the Jedi I had no idea "Blinded by the Light" was originally recorded by Springsteen [face_laugh]. I'll take the more popular version in this case, hands down.

"A Nightingale sang in Berkley Square" is a standard that's been recorded by dozens of artists, but I'd say the most popular/familiar recordings come down to these three versions (Please chime in if you feel I missed one).

The Glenn Miller version features Ray Eberle on vocals and... meh. It's about as soulful as skim milk. Old Blue Eyes certainly kicks it up several notches, and his would be the definitive version if not for Mr. Nat King Cole, who delivers one of the most beautiful and romantic songs of all time *sigh* [face_love]. It's my favorite song of his, and that's quite an achievement considering.

20. Hef

Hef Jedi Master star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    Love this melody!

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm going with the Sweetheart of the Forces, Vera Lynn.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    That is ******* amazing.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    this is my favorite version of the song. krist and kurt play on this one as well.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Speaking as a big Boss fan, I really hate Manfred Mann's version. Springsteen wrote a silly word salad loosely autobiographical song. They turned it into to some overwrought late 70s rock ballad with a chunk of the lyrics excised and sung by a mushmouth (forever associating the song with outdated feminine hygiene). I mean, if they wanted a ballad, Springsteen had plenty and Greetings had its share of serious content. For some reason the band exclusively mined his first album. Hell, he probably would have given them a new song if they had asked.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  25. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I remember when I first heard that cover version, I had to get it. It's so original. So inventive.
    But Rogue. The original has one of the best guitar solos known to man. If you prefer the Sisters version, you haven't played the Floyd version loud enough.