main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Embedded Video Heavy] ITT We Discuss Who Did The Song Better

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Mar 20, 2018.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Original:

One of many covers (and yes, that’s her. Sia covering her face is a new thing relative to the breadth of her career)

Sia makes the Kinks sound positively juvenile by comparison, in my opinion! On the other hand...

She can’t touch the original here.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Okay, I have a controversial opinion one to bring up. Alert!

Versus

Now I grew up listening to Roger Miller 8-tracks, and I'm biased. But I prefer the one that sounds lile it would be sung in the back of an actual truck for one thing. But Miller also sounds genuinely melancholic to me. More authentic.

Also, I don't like the change from "Nothing ain't worth nothing, but it's free" to "Nothing ain't worth nothing unless it's free." Very much changes the meaning.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  3. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Here’s an interesting contrast. The original is about a man reassuring a woman about her first sexual experience...

...and here...

...with a slight change, it becomes about a woman initiating a first polyamorous experience. o_O

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008

I've never really been into this song. First off it's far from Henley's best work. Second, it's just too seeped in synth to really enjoy Henley's guitar work, and his vocals are nothing to write home about either.

Then I discovered a version that's more traditional rock from the band The Ataris. Everything about it works a whole ton better than the original; it makes you wonder what Henley's version would have been like if he had composed it during the heyday of the Eagles.

5. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    For your consideration:

(YouTube doesn’t have the original Beatles rendition)

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd never heard the EW&F version, so that's kinda interesting. I'm not exactly enamored with the original (nor much of the rest of Revolver), and their cover doesn't diverge much from it, so still doesn't do much for me. I guess the extra jamming might make it a bit more appealing, but only a bit.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sgt Barry Sadler...

...or the cast of Cheers.

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Interesting. The reverse was true for me. It was ages before I realized that the EW&F version was a cover, and I prefer it over the Beatles’ original.

9. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    So here's a fun one. I always appreciate how wacky some music videos can be, especially ones from the 80s and 90s, and perhaps few are wackier than the video for the Eurythmics song Sweet Dreams.

I do love the song a lot as well. It's hard to top Annie Lennox's voice, and it's got a great synth beat carrying it along. So who should cover it but Marilyn Manson. Quite a jump going from typical 80s synthpop to hard rock, but I think Manson makes it work just as well. And it's also got a trippy ass video, possibly drawing some inspiration from the orignal.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm not a fan of Manson, so the Eurythmics version is my automatic answer in this case.

Gotta go with Juice Newton on Angel of the Morning. I just do.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I've made it no secret on here I strongly dislike The Cranberries. I thin k I've posted about it twice, and made 7 threads about their awfulness. Therefore I wont post the original version of this, because anything is superior to that. This has the nice added twist that it references Obama is a way that @Ender Sai can enjoy and snap along to.

13. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, I don't think she brings much to the table with her version. Then again I'm also sick of the original because I hear it at work all the time.

Here's a female cover of an older hit anyone who's kept up with BoJack Horseman will recognize.

For whatever reason I've not listened to much of America's work. I listen to A Horse With No Name and I hear traces of influence of better groups like Simon and Garfunkle. But I really dig Michelle Branch's version, it just feels a lot more soulful and from the heart than America's version.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've always loved Henley's original; I think his vocal is really good on it actually. It just hits exactly that sweet spot of melancholy that gets to me. I think it's kind of conventional wisdom that the Ataris version is crap, but I think the song is strong enough to survive a variety of styles and I quite like their version as well. I'd go with the original in a head-to-head matchup, but I like the cover a lot too.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I like the Ataris version well enough, but I also think it's representative of that particular moment in time, where as Henley's is a bit more timeless.

As for 'September,' Earth, Wind, and Fire all the way.

17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000

Pretty serviceable cover on Stansfield’s part. The original is superior in my opinion. Plus, kudos for working a harpsichord into an R&B song!

Martoto77 and Juliet316 like this.
  18. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    I'd go with the Barry White because you're getting that voice and the persona, but I guess you have to admire Stansfield's artistic decision to tack four and a half minutes of digital noise garbage to the end of her version.

19. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
  20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

I have always loved Earth, Wind and Fire's version more. Also, Swift's September... WTF is that mess?

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wanda Jackson's from the same tiny Oklahoma town that my parents are from. I really love her. But Dylan wins that one.

Martoto77 likes this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I haven't listened to any modern Dylan, so that was cool. Jackson's version is serviceable if you're into that style, I'd say. Covering Barry White though? Takes a lot of skill and charisma, and while Stansfield seems to have some charisma, she's not nearly on a level to make her version stand out in any memorable way.

Now here's a great country cover versus a rap original.

**language warning, lots of it**

I'm not the biggest Snoop fan, but I can't deny Gin and Juice is a pretty damn good song. But for me the winner is this weirdly upbeat country/bluegrass cover by The Gourds.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  23. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    INXS's version of Need You Tonight.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    That Gourds cover of Snoop Dogg reminds me of a great pairing.

Beyoncé's Single Ladies

The Cleverlys bluegrass cover

I really like them both. I love that the Cleverlys version doesn't do a gender switch. Hearing a guy's country rasp drawl out "Got gloss on my lips, a man on my hips" fills me with pure joy. That said, the original is still untouchable. Both in my playlist though.