main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Emperor Palpatine's Inevitable Resurrection.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LastJediKnight, Dec 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    Would rather have Plageuis tbh.

AdamDemamp likes this.
  2. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I love Sidious, but he's gone and a resurrection wouldn't work too well in my opinion.

3. mdtauk

mdtauk Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2015
    Palpatine was the one who created Anakin out of the Force. I think it is difficult to just dismiss Palpatine. If we accept that Sidious killed his master, then perhaps he succeeded where Plagueis failed (outlived an assassination from his Apprentice). He need not be a full force ghost, nor a fully physical form, but some kind of "Limbo" like existence which takes the form of Snoke. No longer able to exist openly, but still pulling the strings.

If Snoke is not directly a remnant of Palpatine, I hope they at least have some link.

4. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    It hasn't been explicitly stated in canon that Palpatine created Anakin has it?

Ligenot, nld3 and AdamDemamp like this.
  5. Berry Kenobi

Berry Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    Yes of course they need to finish it. Everyone and everything has an end. But you actually believe so strongly in Palpatine being the main thing in Star Wars? Sometimes the most unexpected is what you kills you, a no-brainer yes. All I can learn from this thread is that you are a major Palpatine and Emperor lover and that is fine by me. After all I am maybe the same with Obi-Wan! But right now I think you´re just overdoing it, overkilling it really. It feels like you are portraying him to be some sort of God? He got beaten by Luke and Vader! The power of love man always wins!

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    -Sheev leaving a message about a plan to be executed in the event of his death.
    -Leia is sensing Maul's lingering Dark Side essence/aura (that's the same hanger where the duel in TPM took place, and that may even be the same elevator that Maul came out of initially).

Neither of these point to the Sith still being around/active. They simply point to their essence/effects lingering on even after their defeats/deaths.

Erkan12 likes this.
  7. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015

You would be wrong. I'm a lover of good writing. And simply chucking your big bad so you can parachute in some Random Evil isn't what I consider good writing. I understand you dudes love soap operas and want these trilogies to go on forever with Random Skywalker X against Random Sith Y, but I'd rather have a complete story.

That's not to say they won't go that way. But it would be a huge mistake and simply turn Star Wars into a glorified cash register.

As per him being some sort of God, there is material that that is his actual intention. He's a Sith, and one of the objectives of the Sith is to evade death for as long as possible and to control as much as possible. This was illustrated by Anakin being outfitted with massive amounts of artificial gear in order to survive his injuries on Mustafar, and his WMD's that could wipe out entire planets/systems. To reduce the Emperor to some guy who just got punked and thrown down a big hole and died is stupid.

In fact, its almost creative malfeasance to have a character fall down a big hole, AND NOT come back from that. Falling down a hole is almost universal visual language for Transformation, not Death. Luke survived a fall down a big hole. Think Alice going to Wonderland. Another example would be Sheridan in Babylon 5. Doing it with Palpatine could even be seen as the Joseph Campbell Hero Arc in reverse as the Emperor goes from a position of Strength to one of Weakness.

He ends the first trilogy at his greatest Strength. He has full control of the Empire, killed off the Jedi, has clones to do is bidding, and has subjugated Anakin Skywalker to his will. At the end of the second trilogy he is thrown from power and dies. At the end of the third trilogy he makes it fully back to corporeal life, but in a separate body(Kylo Ren) and with a military force(TFO) that was much weaker than the first and instead he has humans to deal with rather than clones. At the end of the fourth trilogy, he is defeated for good. So what you see happening is him going from Strength and constantly weakening in power until dead for good, and conversely you see Skywalkers going from their weakest(Anakin) to their strongest(Rey). Luke himself is a middle ground. He resisted the dark side, unlike his father.. but ultimately failed to make a difference. As the dark recedes, the light becomes brightest until victory.

This is what they should be going after. Not some fanwank soap opera Bad Guy of the Trilogy crap that goes on for 50 years. At most, you get 12 total movies, and 5 more before the Saga ends for good. And in order to do that, you need Palpatine.

jaimestarr likes this.
  8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    palpatine is dead. end thread.

10. Sarlaac_fanboy

Sarlaac_fanboy Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    I don't want Palpatine to be resurrected as a physical manifestation, but I would actually like to see him as some twisted version of a force ghost. He would have to be there to give relevant information to Snoke or Kylo, not just show up and say hi.

McDiarmid is not going to live forever. Find a way to give him a victory lap.

11. Berry Kenobi

Dec 20, 2015
    I totally see your point but you still need to realize that George Lucas in not in the new movies. It´s new writers with new ideas and if they can´t think of something new than going back to old material when it comes to the bad guy I would again find that very lacking. After all Lucas wanted the story to end after ROTJ. Now when we have new writers we need the story to evolve, not only with the Skywalkers but also with the bad guys. The villain has been the same since Episode V when we first got to see the Emperor and has stayed that way for like 30 years now? Yes Palpatine is an awesome villain, smart and ruthless but he will soon be like the Joker in Batman, like someone said before. He will always return with the same plan, the same idea of how to rule or create chaos and he will be defeated by a Skywalker.
    And about chucking the big bad, its time for that. We are heading for a new trilogy with new characters, Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo and BB-8 so just emerging Palpatine from Snoke will be boring for me. I would kinda loose my interest in the new movies. The whole role of the PT´s where to show how Anakin became Darth Vader, how the Republic fell and how Palpatine came to power. In the OT´s we see how Anakin redeemed himself, the Jedi´s came back and the fall of the Emperor. So you want them to just repeat this? To put the whole story in an endless cycle with no way out will not work in the long run.

12. thephillieflyer

thephillieflyer Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Some people are criticizing TFA for being unoriginal in that they brought back a familiar sand planet backstory for Rey (same as Luke and Anakin though a different planet) and for bringing back a Death Star (though Starkiller Base is much worse.) Now, you are talking about bringing back the video game equivalent of the final boss from both the OT and PT? That would really look like a rehash when with the Plagueis theory, it's a man that you hear a myth about but that's it. If they bring back Palpatine they might as well say that Mace Windu survived and Luke brings Rey to her so she can learn from both of them.
    But also, Star Wars is a family saga based around the Skywalkers (Skywalker/Organa/Solo now) so it would be pointless to bring back an old villain in this case

13. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015
    Whether old writers or new, what I detailed is how you write a saga. Guess what, they don't chuck Sauron mid-story in Lord Of The Rings either because fans were pissed at the early chapters/episodes. We're 7 episodes in to a 12 episode series. Halfway through the book. The big bad is apparently down for the count... or is he. HE IS. WE NEED PLAGURON. He's like Sauron, in fact.. he tauight him all he knew! Voldemort? Lets chuck him at the end of Book 4. No. We need Plaguemort! He's like Voldemort, but he taught him everything he knows!

The story of Darth Plagueis is simple. It informs the viewer/reader that Palpatine learned how to cheat death and gives him the means to do so later in the story. That's it. I have no doubt it will be mentioned again, but as a way of explaining how you get from Emperor down a hole to Snoke to Emperor fully resurrected as Kylo Ren(which happens in 9). I find it QUAINT, that you think PLAGUEIS, a nothing character mentioned in a couple lines of exposition in the movies, is actually supposed to be a legit character on screen, and lord help them if they get writers so stupid as to believe that is a case. He's a PLOT MECHANIC and the equivalent of the gun on the wall early in the story. Palpatine mentions that he's run across a way of evading even death, so guess what.. that is what is going to happen later in the story. Its Writing 101.

Understand this and understand it well. There are two ways they can go.

1) They come up with Random Big Bads because fans were apparently butthurt by the prequels and shortsightedly want to simply focus on just the next trilogy. They can do this simply by choosing to make Plagueis or Snoke a legit independent villain. The moment this happens, the saga becomes a soap opera, because it will never have an end. Once that guy is taken care of.. 10 years later Disney dreams up a new evil that must be destroyed. And so on.

2) They can evolve Palpatine/Sideous and have him come back from the dead inside Kylo Ren to further antagonize the Skywalkers in a final 6 films. The story will end after Episode 12, and a saga you will have.

Also note that people still have yet to say word one about why Snoke and Palpatine(after he gets barbequed by Windu in Episode 3), have the exact same forehead scar. I'm sure that is just coincidence *rolls eyes*.

14. DiditAllForTheWookie

DiditAllForTheWookie Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2001
    I have a better idea.

Let's bring the Emperor back, but also bring back Vader. That would be too difficult for our heroes to handle, however. So, let's bring back Mace Windu, Yoda and Obi-Wan in physical form. That would be an EPIC movie. We could call it Star Wars: Idiocracy Edition.

jakeskywalker65 and Tython Dawn like this.
  15. Tython Dawn

Tython Dawn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    If Palpatine comes back, then Anakin's arc and final sacrifice are much less meaningful, and less thematically relevant. Also, although I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility for Snoke to be Sidious, I really hope it's not him. People are already complaining that TFA is just a "rehash" of ANH. What I would love this trilogy to be about is rebuilding the Jedi Order and struggling with the new manifestation of ever-recurring evil. As Tolkien wrote, "always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again."

jakeskywalker65 and SegNerd like this.
  16. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015
    So? If you wanted to make it truly meaningful you would have created a completely new series for these new characters and then who cares what bad guy you use. That you've extended the overall saga and are now only halfway through the story means dead guy finds a way to return, which he already told you he had the means to do so and for which he had a questionable death. Sorry.. being thrown down a big hole is not death in literature/filmmaking. Never has been, never will be. Its transformation, and in fact, if you watch the scene that is exactly what happens. Emperor goes in, some sort of energy comes out. People seem to conveniently forget that part.

There will be a lot of similarities between the first 6 movies and the last 6. Its inevitable. Remember, each of the films, the trilogies, and the saga have the form of an X. Good and evil constantly swapping between weakness/strength.

Hell, i'll even flat out tell you right now how 9 will end. First, in 8 Leia is going to be turned to the Dark Side of the Force such that Kylo Ren can get more powerful (as light fades, darkness must grow). Then in 9, Snoke will take over Kylo Ren, reveal himself to have been Sideous all along, and then kill Leia to take her power for himself. Rey, enraged, will showdown with him and get obliterated in battle. With her near death, Finn, with the help of Poe will fight off Palparen long enough to save her ass and get her out of there. They then run for the stars to regroup, have kids, find more Force Users, and determine more information about the Sith/Jedi conflict, while Palparen solidifies his control on the galaxy. End of trilogy. Next trilogy is like 20 years later in SW universe time.

Why do I know this? Because its the inverse of what you just saw in TFA. This is why Finn got obliterated in TFA and was saved by Rey. The inverse will happen by the end of the trilogy. He'll save her from certain death, and she'll have been severely wounded in the process. Kylo Ren, who got obliterated by Rey in this movie putting him at his greatest weakness, will become a powerful Sith Lord with the spirit of Sideous in him at the end of the 3rd film, putting him at his greatest strength.

17. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    Snoke is Palp.

18. mdtauk

Oct 8, 2015
    The only issue I can see with this Snoke character being an original one, is that he will need a decent backstory as to how he rose to his position, and gained his knowledge of the Dark Side of the Force.

Looking at his model/design art, there is a real similarity to Sidious in his deformed form. And just as we learned that defating the Emperor did not remove the Empire, destroying Palpatine may not destroy Sidious.

They are now at a stage where they can redefine what the Force can be, and so Sidious may have learnt how to preserve himself after "death" in some fashion.

19. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    At the same time, they could also go with the guy who we've already been told could "cheat death," something even Sidious denied that he himself could do. And his injuries could be from surviving Sheev's attack, albeit badly wounded/weakened (which is why he's been hiding in the shadows for so long).

20. mdtauk

Oct 8, 2015
    Palpatine rarely lied to Anakin, and seemed proud that he tricked his master and killed him. If he were still alive, why did he let Palpatine run the galaxy for so long, and where did he hide for those 60+ years.. It does open up more questions than if it were Sidious's weakened remnant clinging onto existence and pulling the strings with yet another Offspring from the Skywalker family.

21. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    -Sidious was exceedingly arrogant, which led to him making a serious of critical mistakes/oversights that ended up leading to his downfall. I wouldn't put it past him to have done so here as well.

-If anyone could fool him, I'd think that his own master could.

-He's was weak and needed time to replenish his strength. Also the GFFA is a HUGE place, so there's MANY places that he could have hid. Sheev and Vader also weren't able to find Obi Wan or Yoda for 20 years.

Look I'm not saying that Snoke WILL end up being Plagueis, nor that I necessarily want that to happen (I'd be perfectly fine with him being his own character honestly). But I'd still prefer it over doing Sheev yet again.

22. mdtauk

Oct 8, 2015

Whether Snoke is something new, Plagueis, or Sidious - I just hope his backstory is good and not too far fetched

I will admit to having a preference to Snoke being Sidious. I love Ian McDiarmid and any chance to see him return would be great. But also I would like to see Sidious in a position without influence over the universe. On the backfoot, operating in secret, bent on revenge against the Skywalkers.

23. Berry Kenobi

Dec 20, 2015
    Both Sauron and Voldemort where the main villains at their time on history. Their were bad guys before them as well in both of universe, it´s the same in Star Wars. Okey so what if bringing Palpatine back is the only way to tie up the saga, will it really make it better? And to do it via some sort of overtaking of the soul? Or that Snoke is Palpatine? I much rather have it that Snoke is Palpatine than him being able to fly around and just posses people to the left and right. I never wanted Snoke to be Palpatine either and yes my first thought when I saw him in the movie was " Oh is that Palpatine?". I admit this but still I don´t want it to be true. As people before me had said in this thread, if The Evil Emperor returns, even more powerful than ever, then Anakin´s redemption was for nothing and the whole OT has been thrown in a trash can. When your making a saga you have to take care of what you have already created. I´m not sure that fans would appreciate the return of the Emperor because it would kinda make Luke and Anakin just look bad. How would it be if there came out an new Harry Potter book? Book 8, The Return of Voldemort! Or a new Lord of The Rings book? Book 4, Sauron created a new ring, The One To Rule Absolutely Everything! Can you see how bad that would be? The story with Palpatine is over and the story with Snoke and Kylo has begun. The story of Star Wars in the Extended Universe is like a lot of 1000 years old? How many of these years has Palpatine been in it? Like not even a 100? It seems like you are referring to Palpatine being the only evil force in the whole universe when there is clearly something called The Dark Side with a lot of evil Sith´s fighting for it throughout every movie and book there is.

24. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Would the Lord of the Rings be better served if 30 years later, some dark wizard moves into Mordor, builds up another Orc army, and threatens the whole of Middle Earth again? Only now its up to Aragorn, Sam, Pippin, Merry, Legolas, and Sams kid to stop the Dark Lord.

25. Berry Kenobi

Dec 20, 2015
    No

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.