main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Emperor's Shadow" - Mara, Luke, H/L - Complete - AUTHOR'S ANNOUNCEMENT 8/7

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RedGold, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    RedGold: so, what, I get the blame and you get the kudos?! Great...

Well, fair enough... ;)

The new scene is superb. We've disagreed on some things (always a sign of a confident writer when she ignores her beta :p) and I know you've not got my final thoughts on this scene yet - but whatever quibbles I may have, they're outweighed by how impressed I am with it.

Leia: poised, precise, clipped and controlled. Like Mara in a lot of ways, but also very different - the way the reader doesn't notice her tears until she acknowledges them, and the way she gets it under control, is brilliant...

I enjoyed the way you took her through the various aspects of her life as ruler of the Galaxy - from introspection in an empty office, through selfelessly arranging a lunch-date (but oh-so-lonely!), through business with her aides to the ominous arrival of the Latorin delegation.

Seeing them, and seeing her seeing them, was brilliant. Leia the politiciain, in full campaign mode.

And then, the final cliffhanger, where the whole chapter snaps shut! I like it! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

2. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Well, that was the end of chapter one. I will post the first part of chapter two later today. I have a little bit more editing I want to do on it. Plus it's pretty long, just a bit longer then Chapter 1 - Part 1 but don't worry, the following parts aren't nearly as bad. I'm just wondering if I should break it in half...but I don't want to loose the narrative. *sighs*

Lady_Jade- Well, it was before Yavin....but still!!! - Funny, that's what Han says. ;)

Jedi_BMX - Isn't this two posts in one day? I'm impressed. - Would you still be impressed if I told you had already had this chapter, plus 2-5 already written for a while now? I'm just doing a little clean up editing before I'm posting them. I just hope I can get the later chapters written (i have them laid out) before I catch up with myself! But seeing as I'm currently unemployeed, it's not going to be that big of an issue. I just needed to get a kick-start to finish it and the support I've gotten here certainly kick-started me.
    Stupid former assassin thing in her past. - :)

TheCrazyRodian - This is definitely one of the best starts to a story I've read in a long, long time. - Thanks, I really mean it. Makes me nervous though. I hope the rest of this tale will be just as satisfying.

Jedi_Liz - [han solo] I've got a bad feeling about this [/han solo] - You know. I don't think I have anyone saying this in the whole story! What kind of fanfic writer am I???

StarFighter5 - You know, I have a skinny girl inside me too, it takes a lot of chocolate to shut her up....hehehehe ;) I'm glad you enjoy!

Thrawn_McEwok - I get the blame and you get the kudos?! - Duh. Hey, all I did was show you what I had written and now all you do is run around yelling "Less Commas, More Dashes" all the time!! But seriously man, thanks for finally pushing me to post this. I mean that. [:D]

3. Benjor45

Benjor45 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2003
    maramijade: Zahn is the best, but he's also not perfect, IMO. He made Luke do some stupid things. Quite a lot of bias for his characters too. But what EU author doesn't do this? 8-}

Mara maybe a goddess, but Leia is still the Boss. She's showing signs of stress from many years as the GFFA's leader thought.

?Yeah, well, what button pusher do I need to see?? Mara?s image flickered out momentarily. ?Sorry, they?ll let anyone fly a ship these days.?
    Funny detail, Mara having to dodge a sunday spacer.

?Translation, you have to do it or else it might not get done because it?s me.?
    From the end of TLC, talking to Luke. Rough and to the point.

?I try not to think about how things might have been.? Something flickered across Mara?s face.
    :_|

Uh-oh. Shadows of the past come to haunt the ex-Emperor's Hand. This is the kind of thing that could have happened if they had an early relationship, and which could have made things so interesting and angsty. Even with her services, there would still be people after her blood. It's a pity that the Bantam and Del-Rey books basically white-washed this.

:eek: TMcEwok is responsible for this? [face_worried] Do you also think Mara is too good for Luke? :(

I took the liberty to take a look at your bio. Is your fiancee TMcE? :eek:
    I really hope you don't take this fic in the direction of some of teh Ewoks theories! :_| :p

*Respectfully bows out hoping that the Ewok doesn't roast him alive* [face_worried]

Edit:Correcting myself. :oops:

Uh-oh. Shadows of the past come to haunt the ex-Emperor's Hand. This is the kind of thing that could have happened if they had an early relationship, and which could have made things so interesting and angsty. Even with her services, there would still be people after her blood.

That's what happened in TCT, right? But Leia still shouldn't have thought Mara as a traitor.

4. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Okay, gonna post the first part of chapter two, and I decided to keep it whole. I hope you all enjoy, but first, I have to settle something.

Benjor45 - From the end of TLC, talking to Luke. Rough and to the point. - Were do you think I came up with the idea of her saying it? Told you, I'm heavily Zahn influenced.
    Shadows of the past come to haunt the ex-Emperor's Hand. - That's funny, everyone I've talked think the title refers to that. I had something, more special, in mind.
    and which could have made things so interesting and angsty. - So many missed opportunities, yes.
    Do you also think Mara is too good for Luke? - Nah. I think they go great together. But like I said, I'm trying to character shift between the two series. Makes things interesting from a pscyhological prespective.
    But Leia still shouldn't have thought Mara as a traitor. - Yeah I know. I bring that up to and kinda explain why she might have though.
    Is your fiancee TMcE? - You know. I should roast you alive for suggesting such a thing! I met McEwok about a month ago through a mutal friend. I showed him my fic because I heard one of his "theories" and I thought I'd have some fun with him (when you read this part you'll probably unstand what I mean if you know McEwok). Anyway, long story short he got me to post it here.

5. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Chapter Two - Part 1

A chime rang through the Solo home, but Han ignored it. If it was Jade then C3-PO and the Noghri had instructions to take care of it and let her in. If not, they?d take care of that too.

?So how long do you think she?ll be?? Years ago Han would have been outrageously impatient, but after living with the leader of the free galaxy he was instead moderately irritate.

?She doesn?t know.? Colona?s eyes twitched. ?Madam just asked me to tell you that she is unsure how long she?ll be detained, that she will be there as soon as possible. She would like your guest to wait for her, but you should go ahead and have lunch without her.?

?Right, so I?ll see her a week from tomorrow then??

?Actually, the Madam Chief seems to want to get matters cleared as soon as possible so please make sure your guest does not leave.? Colona?s eyes twitched again.

Han thought about this for a moment. ?Okay,? he said slowly, ?sure.?

?Thank you, Captain Solo.?

The transmission ended and Han sat staring across the room wondering just what was going on. Leia obviously needed to talk to Mara. Had something come up dealing with the Smuggler?s Alliance, Karrde or the events at Corellia?

Han shuddered. On Corellia, family meant something. You protected each other. You certainly didn?t go about kidnapping children and attempted murdering your own cousins.

A noise from the entryway shook Han from his thoughts. It sounded like a little argument was taking place. Han had a pretty good idea what about if Mara Jade was involved.

Making his way across the open living room Han spotted Mara in the entryway staring down one of their Noghri bodyguards, Gharakh. Not many people were that brave. With their needle-sharp teeth, steel-grey skin and large dark eyes the Noghri were terrifying enough, but they were also skilled combatants and hunters. Han wondered if the entire race was born knowing how to sneak up on people.

The Noghri felt honor bound to protect Leia, or Lady Vader, because she showed them the truth of the Imperial oppression of their race. A while ago Leia had that debt declared paid and sent all the Noghri back to their new home on Wayland to be with their families. Recent events, however, prompted Leia to once again call the Noghri honor guard back into service, if just for the time being. This last crisis hit close, too close.

?Now what?s all this about??

?Han clan Solo, this lady will not relinquish her weapon!? Gharakh did not break eye contact with the unblinking Jade.

Han looked Mara up and down. She was wearing another one of those all-duty jumpsuits that she often wore, but there was no blaster holster. Gharakh must have been referring to the small but very effective blaster Mara liked to keep under her sleeve. Han guessed it was a throw-back to her days as the Emperor?s personal assassin. It didn?t bother Han, after all you should always stick with a weapon you?re comfortable with.

?It?s alright Gharakh. Mara is a friend of the family.? Sort of, Han neglected to say out loud. ?She can keep it on her.?

Mara muttered something Han didn?t catch.

?Very well, Han clan Solo.? With that the Noghri bowed and slinked off somewhere, leaving Han and Mara in silence. Mara wasn?t much for polite conversation.

?Leia is going to be late and wanted us and the kids to go ahead and have lunch. It will be a few minutes, why don?t you sit down or something.? Han wasn?t much for social graces either. Leia was always trying to teach him how to be, well, less like a scoundrel. Han liked scoundrel. It suited him. Besides, Mara wouldn?t care. ?Want a drink? Threepio!?

?I?m good thanks.? Mara sat down on one of the plush chairs but her posture was stiff and uneasy. ?Nice place, very, Alderaanian.?

?Yeah, Leia didn?t like any of my decorating ideas.? Han sat down on the sofa across from his guest.

?No, I suppose she wouldn?t want to live in a cantina.? Mara smiled, just slightly.

?Nah, I was thinking more neo-Falcon.? Han said dryly.

Mara

6. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Red: as usual, there's not much I can do except say nice things and offer the occasional spelling flame...

You balance Han's cocky sense of humour and his thoughtful, introspective side superbly well; you write the Solo kids somehow in-character and as believable children all at once; and, of course, you manage to show Mara in an unexpected, delightful new situation - responding with her usual cat-like caution and control, but revealing a side to her character, and a depth of insight, that she doesn't normally show to other people...

Of course, I also particularly liked the way that that scene laid a real groundwork for the affection she had for Anakin in the NJO, and his counterbalancing loyalty to her...

And I mean that even without taking into account a certain postmodernist hypothesis of mine. I'd like to point out that, to the best of my knowledge, RedGold wrote that scene:
    ?Thank you.? Anakin flung his arms around Mara?s neck in a hug.

Mara froze.

?You?re welcome.? Mara relaxed and gave Anakin a light pat on the back.
    ...without having read this infamous little 'fic (in which, of course, no Skycrawlers are actually concieved or anything):
    ?Thanks, Aunt Mara,? he said, taking two quick, awkward steps towards her. His arms wrapped round her body, and he slumped his chin on her shoulder, staring at the wall behind her. He patted her back. Once, softly, like a heartbeat.
    Needless to say, I'd also like to congratulate her for providing a perfect counterpoint! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

7. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Great post. You sure know how to keep them coming.

I loved reading Han's thoughts on Mara. And Mara's little talk with Anakin was great. Of course now everything's going to go downhill from the sound of it.

8. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    McEwok - No, I have not read that particular fic of yours, but after you told me the theory I just couldn't resist showing you this.
    I'm glad you liked it so much. But you're still crazy. ;)

Jedi_BMK - You sure know how to keep them coming. - Like I said, I already had most of this wrote, and thanks to the stupid immigration laws I can't work. So I pretty much spend all day cleaning house and doing laundry. Starting this I was both nervous then excited and I think I got a bit overzealous. I'll try to slow down. My weekend is booked up so I'll finish out chapter two by end of Friday (these next two parts are short) and then you probably won't see me for a bit.
    I loved reading Han's thoughts on Mara. - If you want to know the truth, those are actually my thoughts on Mara and I just used Han as a puppet. I'm sure he wouldn't mind. :)
    And Mara's little talk with Anakin was great. - Yeah, that is what I wanted McEwok to read...hehehe. I'm glad you liked it.
    Of course now everything's going to go downhill from the sound of it. - Hopefully that means that you want to read what happens next. :)

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    The plot thickens... *waits for more*

And I just have to say something about Mara's comments regarding Vader:

THANK YOU! ;)

?You see, Vader wouldn?t have had any problems giving the order to blow up Alderaan, if he thought it would achieve his goals. Tarkin, on the other hand, did it regardless because he enjoyed tormenting people. That?s why he waited to have an audience before testing the Death Star?s guns. Do you understand the difference??

Not only do you have strong Mara characterization, but you "got" Vader. :D Impressive....most impressive.

?The dark side is like an addiction and like any addict you have to want to give it up yourself. No one could have done it for him, but Luke certainly did help by being there for him and believing in him.? Suddenly Mara?s voice cracked. ?When it counted, Vader was a good man.?

=D=

(I'm a big fan of Vader/Mara stuff.....obviously. [face_blush])

10. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Jedi_Trace - Not only do you have strong Mara characterization, but you "got" Vader. - Thanks! It's my own personal view of Vader and you know what they say, write what you know!
    I'm a big fan of Vader/Mara stuff.....obviously. - Nothing to be ashamed about.

Well, here is the next part of chapter 2. I hope you all enjoy as the plot gets just a little bit thicker.

11. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Chapter 2 - Part 2

?I don?t believe this.? Mara was obviously irritated by the tone of her voice, but her expression remained solid. ?You said yourself that I could not be charged with war crimes!?

Leia knew this was true. After Mara helped to stop Grand Admiral Thrawn it was clear that the woman bore no more loyalty to the Empire. There was, however, some debate about how much loyalty she still felt towards Palpatine. Leia and Luke convinced Mon Mothma and several others in the New Republic that Mara would be a great asset if they let her take charge of the Smuggler?s Alliance instead of locking her up for her past. Leia had told Mon Mothma that she believed that Palpatine didn?t really give Mara any choice in the matter. She explained that Palpatine had made it so that service to the Empire was the only thing Mara knew.

Mara made her own choices now, and they always seemed to come down on the side of good.

There was also a whole other level to the situation that dealt with the force, the dark side, and Palpatine?s manipulation. All this would have been hard to explain, but Luke?s word that Mara was no longer the Emperor?s servant was good enough for many of the New Republic?s high ranking members.

As she had done for other former Imperials, Mon Mothma gratefully gave Mara immunity from prosecution for anything she had done in service to the Empire. Not like it would have mattered. So far all that could be found of Mara?s connection to the Emperor, other then her knowledge of high level codes and hidden passages, were random images of her at the Emperor?s court dressed like the dancing girl that was her cover. Other bits and pieces had been found, but nothing that clearly pointed out any mission data.

Mara had been nothing more then a shadow and served her master well.

?The New Republic, yes, but this is an individual accusing you of a specific crime.? Leia sighed. ?If he can gather enough evidence, he could bring you to trial in a Latorin court and there is nothing the New Republic could do to stop him.?

?This is just ridiculous.? Han grumbled. ?Bringing this up after twenty years. Didn?t you tell them that Mara?s on our side now??

?Yes, but there are no statue of limitations on murder in any government I know of and this was the man?s father.?

?What evidence does he have?? Mara?s voice was now more even.

?Nothing, really. Like I said, Darlen Baletan was in control of all of Latorin?s military and police. According to Devin Baletan, Darlen was going to throw Latorin?s military in support of the rebellion, maybe let us use Latorin as a launching point into the Hydian Way, Correllian Run, or even the Correllian Trade Spine. He never got the chance to contact the rebellion because he was assassinated.?

?So naturally they think Palpatine ordered the hit?? Mara said calmly.

?Yes. And since you used to do that kind of thing for Palpatine..."

"Naturally they all assumed I was the one Palpatine sent."

Leia sighed. "They just recently put two and two together."

?And came up with five. This is ridiculous. Latorin is an insignificant grease stain on the map, even more so then Tatooine. It probably would have made you an easier target. If Palpatine thought the planet was useful he would have used it himself.?

?You have been there before then.? Leia watched Mara closely.

Mara?s eyes seemed to go distant for a second. ?Yes, but then so has a lot of smugglers and traders who travel the routes. It may be a spot in the road but even those come in handy sometimes.?

?That?s true enough.? conceded Han.

Leia nodded. ?Right now Baletan and some of his men are sifting through New Republic archives trying to find what evidence they can.?

?Shouldn?t be much. NRI hasn?t had much luck in that department.? That note of irritation was back in Mara?s voice.

?True, but NRI wasn?t looking for something specific.? Leia held her breath. ?Also, I gave Baletan access to your NRI file as well as authorization to access any classified files in the New Republic data

12. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    Sorry I missed a post; I didn't know you'd be updating so fast.

Anywho, I loved them both! The scene w/ Anakin and Mara was just perfect!! Han was right, she really needs to show more of that part of her personality.

Mara is innocent though! I just know it!!!

13. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Lady-Jade - Sorry I missed a post; I didn't know you'd be updating so fast. - Don't be sorry, it's my fault. I'm going to slow down after I post the final part of chapter 2 tomorrow. I guess you can call me a noob, I didn't even think about you guys when I started posting like crazy. I really need to learn "posting-etiquette". Where's McEwok when I actually need him? hehehehe

Han was right, she really needs to show more of that part of her personality. - My thoughts exactly!!

Mara is innocent though! I just know it!!! - Ah, if only everyone was that supported of our Jade.

14. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Loved it. I feel bad for Mara. Few trust here even almost two decades later.

15. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Wow... two lovely posts! (And, of course, I liked the parts with Han talking to Mara the very best!) :D :D

Great story!

16. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    You have such a great way with narration, RedGold. Really, you do. And I don't mean to imply that the other parts of your writing aren't as great, because they are excellent as well, but right now I just feel that I should comment on the way you describe the situations and characters. You have a perfect balance between descriptiveness and conciseness, something that is really hard to accomplish. You give enough detail to give me a clear picture of what is happening, but without slowing down the pace of the story at all. That, I think, is the strength of your writing that I am most compelled right now to compliment.

Eventually I'll get to the sharp dialogue, good characterizations, and precise plot organization, but for now, great work with the pacing!

17. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    ohhhhhh Leia, I love how she just then notices that she didn't think of it. Bad girl.

It doesn't seem to bother Mara all that much that Leia does this either, that she's used to the logic that hey this guy was going against the empire, he was murdered in a suspicious way at a time when he was about to do something for the Rebellion, OBVIOUSLY he was killed by the Emperor's Hand. .. OF Course!

it couldnt' have been some one else in the government ( the planets or the imperials)

In many ways Mara was a tool, a very selective and specific tool, kinda like a scapel. There are other tools that Palpy had. But it wasn't necesarrily Palpy who ordered his death. . .

I don't think that Mara is actually taking this as well as it seems she is. Han already made comment that she had a good Sabacc face. . .

18. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Alright, I'm going to post the final part of Chapter 2, then I'll take a few days off before I come back with chapter 3 (where it all starts going downhill).

StarFighter5 - I feel bad for Mara. Few trust here even almost two decades later. - I know. Isn't it a shame? And after all she's done??? :mad:

GreatOne - I liked the parts with Han talking to Mara the very best! - Thanks. I'm glad you like it. If I can be a little egotist for a moment, I'm very proud of that whole scene. I don't do comedy very well but it all came together. It was a trimuph for me if you will.

TheCrazyRodian - You have such a great way with narration, RedGold. Really, you do. Eventually I'll get to the sharp dialogue, good characterizations, and precise plot organization, but for now, great work with the pacing! - Thanks! [face_blush] You keep this up and I'll start thinking I can actually write worth a damn! :D

maramijade - I love how she just then notices that she didn't think of it. - I know, ain't it great!
    I don't think that Mara is actually taking this as well as it seems she is. Han already made comment that she had a good Sabacc face. . . - Funny you should mention that.... ;)

19. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Chapter 2 - Part 3

Later that night, once all the kids were fast asleep, Han found Leia standing at the window in their bedroom. She looked much as she had that night on Endor, lost in so many thoughts. All Han could think of to do was walk up behind her and slip his arms around to hold her.

?You okay?? he whispered.

?Yes.?

Leia?s body weakened and she pulled Han closer. ?No, no I?m not okay. What happened today??? Leia shook her head.

Han held his wife tight. ?You didn?t have many options. Mara understood that.?

?I know. I?m just getting tired of politics and politicians like Fey?lya limiting my choices because of their own self-interest. It?s like they forgot why we fought the Rebellion in the first place.?

?That, or they remember it a little too vividly.?

Leia nodded. Palpatine hadn?t been kind to non-human species during his reign. Now that these races had their freedom, they might have become a little too overprotective of that freedom.

?I wonder if Mon Momtha ever felt this weak and helpless.? Leia sighed.

?I don?t know. Probably, but Mon Momtha had different kinds of problems to deal with during the rebellion and setting up the New Republic. I do think you had it easier then her during the rebellion. All you had to do was save the galaxy. Pretty easy to do since the Imperials liked to make big shiny targets for us to shoot at.?

That got a genuine laugh out of his wife. Han smiled and he held her tighter. ?You know. You could go talk to Mon Momtha, get her advice on the matter.?

?I thought about that, but no, I couldn?t do that to her. She spent so much of her life dedicated to peace, I don?t want to disrupt her from her own tranquility. She?s earned it.?

Han snorted. ?I doubt your own successor would be so kind.?

?Successor?? Leia?s voice sounded strange.

Had his wife actually thought that she would be Chief of State forever? Han wasn?t too surprised by this. He himself never believed Leia and politics could ever be separated, much like him and his Millennium Falcon or Chewie. However, there had to be limits.

?Come on honey.? Han gently pulled his wife away from the view. ?You should get some sleep.?

Yes, there had to be limits.

-----------------------------------------

Mara sat alone at in the Jade?s Fire?s navigation seat, idly tapping at the control panel. It wasn't as if anyone could stop her from leaving. Just a few commands, a few computer slices, and once again it would be as if Mara Jade had never existed.

Perhaps that was a bit too much to ask. Too many people knew her now, knew who she was, is. That had been her first mistake. She knew better then to get involved. She had gotten herself in too deep. She had gained too many responsibilities and, unlike some people she could name, that word still held meaning for her.

Just a few taps on the control panels and Mara powered down her ship. She knew it was never wise to go against the guidance of the force. If this was what it wanted, she would just have to deal with it as it unfolded.

Of course, nothing could happen and the problem might go away on its own.

?And lakes could start forming on Tatooine.? Mara mused.

20. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    awwww poor Mara.

Loved Leia's thought about Succesor. . .

21. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    ::catches up::

AHHH! I loved the ending to the post before this one. :D

And this such a great story. :)

22. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Red: I like. Obviously.

The contrast between the exquisitely-characterized H/L interaction, and Mara's solitariness - and the way that both the couple and the singleton are alone with their memories - was as poised and perfect as I'm coming to expect from your 'fic...

I'm not sure whether Leia's little murmur is your instinctive fondness for dictatorships creeping out, but it's certainly her instinctive fondness for dictatorships - she's her father's daughter, after all... which is fine, and subtle, and superb...

Reminds me a bit of a conversation imagined by John Buchan between a British diplomat and an American academic watching Lincoln's cortege:

"There goes," he said, "the first American!"

Mr. Hamilton heard the words as he was brushing delicately with his sleeve a slight berufflement of his silk hat.

"I dare say you are right, Professor," he said. "But I think it is also the last of the Kings."

:D

- The Imperial Ewok

23. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Okay, RedGold, I've read the first post and really loved it. I especially like your narrative style - it gets right into Mara's way of thinking and it sounds very much like her. :)

Placing the Academy here had been just one in a long list of Skywalker?s less-then-bright ideas.
    LOL I'm really enjoying the sardonic humour - especially as I'm inclined to agree with Mara's point of view. It was also good to see Skidder get a short sharp shock. ;)

Great action sequence, too. :)

24. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    Poor Mara. She really doesn't like being stuck in situations that she has no control over. :(

25. Benjor45

Benjor45 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2003
    Were do you think I came up with the idea of her saying it? Told you, I'm heavily Zahn influenced.
    I meant that Mara always talked rough and to the point with Luke. I'm sorry for any misunderstadings.

Nah. I think they go great together. But like I said, I'm trying to character shift between the two series. Makes things interesting from a pscyhological prespective.
    I do these lists of how Luke helped Mara 'cause I think she's way out of his league. :_| They were a great pair at the end of TLC, but after all the crap that came afterwards... :_|

Han didn?t know Mara nearly as well, who did, but he knew her well enough to know that she has a fierce determination about things, not to mention a loyalty complex. Han just couldn?t see her in this kind of non-committal relationship, especially with a renowned Ladies Man like Lando wishes he was. Mara seemed more like the type who played for keeps in a relationship.
    Yeah exactly, I knew that. She was outraged when Thrawn backstabed her in DFR, and desperate that Karrde would die thinking her to be a traitor. Then there was that 'little' talk she had with Luke about commitment in VOTF. Trouble is, from what I know of the NJO, Luke and Mara seem to have been lobotomized or replaced by clones. Probably lobotomized clones.

?The dark side is like an addiction and like any addict you have to want to give it up yourself. No one could have done it for him, but Luke certainly did help by being there for him and believing in him.?
    Exactly. Luke never forced her to open up to him. He just made it clear he was there if she wanted. Unless asking 'Are you OK?' and 'How are you feeling?' can be taken as forcing.

?You know.? Mara said right as she opened the door. ?I don?t suppose it matters at all that I didn?t assassinate Baletan.? The door closed behind her.
    Trust issues, trust issues. That was the core of Luke and Mara from the moment she let him take the lead to Hilliard city, with a loaded blaster pointed at her back.

Not much to add except great job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.