main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Empire or Jedi? Which do you feel is the better movie?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jason79, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I think Empire is a superior movie in terms of screenplay, acting and special effects. It ties with Return of the Jedi in music.

However, Return of the Jedi is my second favorite Star Wars movie and it has sort of a magical atmosphere. It is a Disney movie in space. Sure, Leia being Luke's sister is stupid, ted bears defeating trained men is nonsense and a second Death Star is a bad decision, but the movie takes me back to a different world... hard to explain. The first act (rescuing Han) is phenomenal and the Luke-Emperor confrontation is great too. So, episode 6 is better.

Sephiroth1335 likes this.
  2. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    So Empire is from a time before SW was Disneyfied?

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Such an interesting place. The location of the final phase of Vader's duel with Luke is amazing.

christophero30 likes this.
  4. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Yes, the set design for Cloud City was incredibly good. I love Ralph McQuarrie's work, especially the structures he painted, which were usually sleek and monolithic with really clean lines. Everything he did was evocative of a kind of 50's sci-fi.

That design is all over Cloud City, from the white promenades on the upper levels, the orange corridor outside the room where they torture Han, the control room in the weather vane with the circular window out to the reactor shaft etc. All of it is just beautiful.

Coincidentally, has anybody else ever thought that the oscillating humming noise that can be heard in the control room as Luke enters is the same sound effect as can be heard in Alien when Kane is first being examined in the medical bay after the face-hugger attaches to him?

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  5. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Yes, I thought that sounded familiar - you can hear the same sounds in Deckard’s apartment in Blade Runner.

Sith Lord 2015 and Bob Effette like this.
  6. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Ah yes of course. Probably a stock effect from the time.

7. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    Return of the Jedi is great in that is all action for the most part, memorable set-pieces like Jabba's palace and the battle above Endor and the duel between Vader and Luke on the Death Star, with a brisk pace that doesn't really miss a step for the most part. It feels like a triumphant finale for the fans. Aside from the Death Star II sequences, it doesn't take itself that seriously and just asks you to tag along for the ride. It is fun. When you factor in the emotional weight of the scenes with Luke and Vader and the Emperor and the spectacle of the Death Star run, it isn't that hard to see why so many people love the movie and name it as their favorite.

I prefer Empire though. It is much more slower and methodical, with a focus on character motivation rather than plot. There are clear arcs for Luke, Leia, and Han throughout the movie and the movie spends most of its time following them rather than advancing the plot. I remember some kids my age finding the scenes on Hoth (minus the AT-AT fight) and Dagobah to be a bit long. But they are necessary in shaping these characters into the ones that we love and root for - and it all comes to a compelling head once they all get trapped on Bespin and have to try and escape. I also think Empire has the best score and cinematography of the trilogy. They knew how to frame Vader and make him look menacing - his suit is so reflective and shiny in this one, especially in that one scene with the Emperor. I believe it is an incredible movie, both narratively and in its craft.

8. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    TESB. Its my favorite movie of all time. Its epic in every way.

9. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I would say as a stand alone movie, The Empire strikes back is better.
    As parts of the larger Star wars saga, Return of the Jedi all the way. The satisfaction of seeing Luke finaly becoming the Jedi he was meant to be, the emotional impact of the throne room scenes, the triumphant victory over the Emperor and the Dark side, this final exchange between Anakin and Luke. Star wars hardly gets better than that.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Empire for me. My favorite movie of all time. Epic in every way. Beautifully lit and scored.

11. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Apart from the Carbon Freezing chamber, which is a fantastically lit set, the other really good one is the Falcon cockpit when they are going into the asteroid cave.

Darth__Lobot and christophero30 like this.
  12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    and Hoth. and the Star Destroyer interiors.

13. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    TESB for me as well. The Battle of Hoth, Yoda's scenes, Cloud City, The Revelation, it had not one but two excellent cliffhangers, expanded on the main characters' journey while also introducing two new memorable classic characters in Lando and Boba Fett, the music, and so on and so forth. Overall, just a fantastic film.

ROTJ is also an excellent film and there's no denying how well and satisfying it wraps up this trilogy. My problem with the film in with it's pacing. The opening sequence with Jabba/rescuing Han is terrific (though still cringe over Fett's easy death). The end sequence with the Battle of Endor and the more personal battle between Luke and the Emperor with the fate of Vader is equally thrilling. It's the middle section that bothers me, landing on Endor, finding the Ewoks, gaining their assistance, that portion of the film drags for me and lessens the film's importance to me. (Speeder bike chase notwithstanding. C'mon though Leia, you can't spot two stormtroopers in stark white armor in a verdant green forest??)

christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    TESB is the best in the franchise, but ROTJ does have a fun vibe (Sarlaac sequence, speeder bike chase), with an time great moment (Palpatine, Vader and Luke on DS2).

15. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    RotJ is my favorite, but I think ESB is objectively a better film. Boushh and Ewoks ftw!

16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    smart girl.

17. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    TESB and ROTJ are my two favorite films, when I was a kid ROTJ was my favorite but as I got older TESB overtook it. I think the things that put Empire above Jedi for me are: the reveal, the Battle of Hoth, the bounty hunters, the ending, and the score.

themoth and christophero30 like this.
  18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    As a youngster ROTJ was my favorite hands down.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  19. Smellmet

Smellmet Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 16, 2017
    Replace the ewoks with wookies and ROTJ is right back in the game for me.

Darth__Lobot and christophero30 like this.
  20. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I've softened toward Jedi, but I definitely prefer the darker tone of Empire. Jedi is a good movie, but it feels anticlimactic in comparison.

Iron_lord and christophero30 like this.
  21. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    Empire from a technical point of view Jedi from the other perspective like spiritual content etc story direction for me it's as a simple as that.

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I prefer Jedi. More compelling dramatic core, plus in general the film has that weird and open alien landscape vibe that was so key to ANH. ESB by comparison feels closed-in and at times I'd even say artificial.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    One of the SE changes I actually like in ESB is opening up the windows and doors in Cloud City; that makes it feel far more expansive and real.

24. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    ESB SE is watchable.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Luna2112

Luna2112 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2016
    Overall, I prefer ESB more. However, the high points of RotJ (everything in the throne room) far outway anything in ESB for me personally. I think I'd like RotJ more if the battle would have taken place at Kashyyyk instead of Endor. Yes, I'm saying I don't like the Ewoks, but not because I think they're too kiddy. I've just never believed they could defeat, "an entire legion", of the Empire's best troops. Lucas could have kept the idea of primitive freedom fighters vs. advanced war machine with the Wookiees seeing as they are capable warriors, and it'd also give a reason for Han and Chewie to want to lead the ground forces. I still like RotJ, but it's my least favorite from the OT.

Discipulus likes this.