main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Empire & Rebellion #2: Honor Among Thieves

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    US editions can be a little cheaper too!

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i have not read much of the book, but i like it fine so far.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, mine has shipped from the US. We'll see how long it takes to get here..

4. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Mine should be on it's way too - hubby's collecting it up on the way home from work. We'll see how long that will take - he'll pass the pub on the way :p

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's always a bad sign.. :p

MasterSkywalker86 and kataja like this.
  6. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    The good part is, that I have a nice, quiet morning ahead of me when I wake and pick the book from his bag... ;)

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    As long as he doesn't forget to pick it up. Hope you get it OK! Mine will be awhile yet - estimated delivery date is Mar 21..

8. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    half way through it. night and day better than the first book for me, but i would not say
    its great.
    To me Han is overplayed a bit, but it still mostly seems like him.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    20 pages in or so and like it. Han, Luke and Leia felt real conversing with each other.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, the dialogue is good and they find Harrison Ford's voice very well.

Just finished it and going to bed now, so my full review will be up tomorrow, but I'm fully endorsing this one. It's a kickass adventure and everyone should get it.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, Han feels very authentic. I actually really like that they had him musing on politics and the war. It's not just money to him, not at all -- not that he'd ever admit it.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

12. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah i do agree. I dont think it was the best han Solo dipiction, but it is one of the better ones. good book so far.

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    You all know what I need. Any information on the Rebel Fleet or Ackbar in the novel? :p

--Adm. Nick

14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

:p

And yep Commander Ackbar is in the book, but only for about a page.

15. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The Rebel fleet appears as quoted, we get a bit of a look at the search for a base post-Yavin (they have a bunch of back-up sites but the Empire keeps finding them first), and there's a big conference of Rebels and potential allies that gets into how the Rebellion is actually run in terms of collecting support.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Interesting. Can you share some details? Specifically, about the big conference?

I may have to pick this up. [face_thinking]

--Adm. Nick

17. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    You have to pick it up anyway. But Leia goes to a conference where basically everyone meets. The Alliance, different rebel groups, criminal groups. The Alliance is soliciting support, meeting suppliers, and getting cash from groups that aren't willing to fight the Empire themselves but want to quietly back the Alliance. One of the themes of the book is the Rebels' difficulty in getting aid, especially underworld aid, from people who may not be loyal to the cause. There's not a ton on the conference's inner workings, because it's about Han crashing it more than Leia working it, but there's some good stuff.

Plus, Luke and Wedge take out a Star Destroyer, its TIE complement, and an Imperial base more or less single-handedly. By which I mean with six other proto-Rogues.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    (which was one of the parts of the book that infuriated me -- not only did they take down an ISD, but they actually blasted it into its component fragments. the heck?)

Also I do think that even what little we saw of Leia's handling of the conference was pretty impressive. Han observes how she knows how to work a room, speechify, AND playact for other people watching who she's talking to.

19. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Hobbie, Janson, Dack, Zev and Tycho?

20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    That's five. And no, it's a couple new names and the rest are anonymous.

Reactor hit. I dunno. It's just AWESOME. Leia's like, "Hey, we need you to distract this Star Destroyer so we can get to the surface. I know, you're totally outmatched, sorry you might probably die covering us but this is important." And Luke and Wedge are like, "Fine, okay." And Han and Leia get to the surface and land and then, hey, there's this giant explosion in the sky, and Luke and Wedge are like, "We took care of that Star Destroyer for you." And I'm like, "YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

[​IMG]

kataja, Kylun, Valin__Kenobi and 5 others like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean sure, it's great when Han basically looks at Leia and thinks "did the kid just...?"

But still!

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

22. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah that was unrealistic, but Luke does have the force. What annoyed me was that it was offscreen. we need them to go off the main plot and focus on other parts. The best novels give everyone's perspective a voice.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Nah. I was already annoyed that Leia's novel had Luke and Han play such major roles. Hab's novel doesn't need Luke.

And the ONLY reason I'm not screaming bloody murder about it is because it's Luke and the Force lets you pull video game shenanigans like blowing up an ISD.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    well i will agree that Han's roll in Leia book was excessive. But there is balance in everything.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    [face_dunno]