main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph END OF LINE: TRON, Uprising, Legacy & Ares

Discussion in 'Community' started by edgejedi88, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm very doubtful about any Tron 3 at this point, unfortunately. As soon as Disney bought LFL, the reason for Tron's existence disappeared in a puff of smoke.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think it's a question of if but rather when- and the Tron series is used to long waits.

It got far enough to just about happen (years after the LFL acquisition), after all, and they're still teasing the franchise here and there (thus the recent rumors gaining traction with Gunn).

3. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I hope you're right, honestly. I want to see the Dillinger Jr. stuff resolved, for one. Maybe all they need is another few bombs in their new live action remake franchise to start looking at Tron again.

4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Yeah if Pirates 5 bombs & I think it will (that trailer looks bad) we may get TR3N.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  5. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Pirates 4 still made some decent money as far as worldwide numbers go iirc. For that matter, so have the Transformer movies. And the last one was not good. I'd pump the brakes on claiming/predicting that the next pirates film will bomb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't Pirates has any effect on Tron 3's fate- especially since those happen less frequently now and probably won't have more than 1 or 2 more entries.

It's the animated live action adaptations that rapidly filled up Disney's slate (plus Marvel & SW) which forced Ascension onto the back burner. And it's those that are finite in quantity at the rate of production they're doing- plus, as we've seen with Pete's Dragon, they're not surefire hits.

After Beauty and the Beast, Mulan and The Lion King hit in the next 2-3 years, there's probably only another 2-3 films left (not counting Jungle Book sequel) in the vault that could make viable live action films.

If I was optimistic, I'd expect something announced within 5 years, right around the time that we'll starts to dry up.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  7. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Besides the fanbase not being that large I think the big problem Legacy faced was the come down from Avatar, audiences/critics were like guilty children who had eaten too much of Camerons sugar and the next tent pole 3D film suffered as a result.

Honestly Legacy has rather grown on me with time, I still think its lacking in the middle act and the world itself isn't perhaps that deep but its a film that does bring a high degree of originality to an existing property. Kosinski's architecture background and Daft Punk doing the soundtrack is an excellent combination.

Darth Basin likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Legacy wasn't really pushed as a 3D film though- I mean, yeah, it had 3D but it was never the thrust of the marketing. They were trying to establish a franchise, not cash in on a trend as a selling point.

Darth Basin and Artoo-Dion like this.
  9. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Alice in Wonderland was the next 3D tentpole after Avatar, and it benefited from the new love for 3D. It was a post conversion, but most people didn't know or care.

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Wasn't Tron2 a dodgy 3D conversion job anyway?

11. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Partly. A few scenes where filmed in 3D. Some was conversion.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It wasn't dodgy either, but since it was early 3D projection, it's presentation might have come off lacking since it's such a dark film and older non-digital projectors and screens hadn't really calibrated or upgraded for that yet.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    What Tron3 was going to be about

What I’m excited about is the concept, which is an invasion movie from inside the machine coming out as opposed to one we’ve usually seen. So we hinted at that at the end of Legacy with Quorra coming out, but the idea for Ascension was a movie that was, the first act was in the real world, the second act was in the world of TRON, or multiple worlds of TRON, and the third act was totally in the real world. And I think that really opens up, blows open the concept of TRON in a way that would be thrilling to see on screen. But there’s also a really interesting character study in Quorra and a “Stranger in a Strange Land,” trying to figure out where she belongs having lived in the real world for a few years, and where does she fit in.

14. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Honestly, the one part of Legacy that I was not a fan of was the idea of programs entering the real world. It's doggedly literal and would become absurd very quickly, IMHO.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Some other good quotes:

“It’s not dead,” Kosinski said. “It’s alive, but it’s sitting there, waiting for the right time to move forward.”

"I don’t see them having superpowers. I don’t see them being able to shoot lasers from their eyes or do what I would consider to be a superhero-type movie. But in her DNA itself, her being the first digital-human hybrid, there’s something in her being that allows objects from inside the Grid to exist in the real world and makes them permanent, so that was the idea. So I think the idea is strong, it’s just a matter of the right time and the right place and the stars aligning as they have to do for movies."

Juke Skywalker and Darth Basin like this.
  16. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    We had 28 years in between Tron and Tron: Legacy, so a gap isn't unprecedented, but we're approaching 7 years since Legacy, and I'm just not optimistic at this point. Legacy worked as a next-gen thing, but it needed--sorta demanded--a direct sequel, and I just think too much time has passed. Throw in the one and done of Uprising and I just can't see Disney saying "Let's throw some of that MUC and Star Wars money at Tron.". I hope I'm wrong, and if they go forward, I want Kosinski in the director's chair.

17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    If POTC DMTNT does poorly they may go back to Tron.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Darth Basin likes this.
  19. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    ^^^^^^^Yes!

The election, not the rumors.

20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    While I was hoping for more Tron news, this isn't what I was expecting. And compared to Tron 3, it sounds worse (great, another reboot/remake). Not sure if I should be happy the Tron franchise isn't quite dead (I wish Disney would have spent Tomorrowland's budget on Tron instead), or be worried about the news. Oh well, could just be random rumors (and even if it isn't, Disney could change their minds again easily).

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's promising that there's movement on development and, sure bring in Leto as this Ares character. But why I'm the hell would you reboot when 90% of the audience asking for a sequel dont want one?

The audience for this film want a continuation of the characters and story we're invested in.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

It's so some Hollywood snob writer, director, actor, editor, producer or a combination of my list can put there own spin on a story. (Sometimes)

23. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Yep, would rather be seeing a sequel involving Sam and Quorra, than starting from scratch. If they actually go ahead with a new entry with Leto as the lead to reboot it, then this franchise ended with two movies and the TV series on Disney (which was cancelled) for me.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And a short film.

I'd be accepting of a spinoff type deal shifting focus to new characters like Ares but it'd have to be set in the same universe.

But even then, it's somewhat pointless because no matter who Ares is, there is no scenario where the film doesn't become a thousand times more interesting by having him interact with Quorra, Sam or Alan.

I mean, if Ares is a Program that escapes into the real world- I want to see him interact with the son of his creator (now that they are of equal flesh and blood- or now that he has powers that Users don't have*) or interact with a program like Quorra who has already experienced both worlds to guide him (or conflict with him).

And if Ares is a User involved with bringing Programs into the real world, there's no way he wouldn't want Sam's knowledge in some capacity and definitely no way he wouldn't be extremely interested in Quorra.

*I mean, that alone is a fascinating concept. What if you went to heaven and found out that God isn't all powerful in that realm (only in the world he created/Earth), but you were?

25. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I would really like another Tron movie.