main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive End of the empire Celebration, 3-6-09

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BIEREN, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Herald

Siths_Herald Minnesota CR, MNFF Co-Leader star 2

Jan 5, 2004
    OUCH! Sorry, my jaw just hit the floor when I saw Maul. Awesome!!

Plus some of the older pieces are too funny! Great work.

2. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Really nice work. The oil paintings are my fav by far and it's always good to see some SW oil paintings as it seem quite rare these days (althoguh I'm guilty of not doing any oils too :p ). The face on Maul is really well done, very subtle lighting which I like and very nicely executed. If I have one suggestion, then it's to work more form onto the hood because it looks too flat at the moment. But I only say that because the rest of it is pretty perfect ;)

I also really like the pencil drawing too, and the Abbey Road spoof is great, lol.

3. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    Oh my! Maul is lovely!
    I'm no artist myself, but I am loving these oil paintings!
    :)

4. Odo Bunga

Odo Bunga Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 1999
    The painting of Darth Maul is quite good. What yellows did you use for Maul's eyes? I wonder also if you used say pthalo red or alizarin crimson for the face. In any case, well done!

5. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    The Darth Maul paiting is REALLY AWESOME![face_love]

6. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Thanks to all of you for comenting one my work.
    Lord-Tice: I'm taking your suggestion and I am looking into other pictures, with dark cloaks, to get a better frame of reference. I'll post the finished project in the coming week (I hope).

Odo Bunga: I use several reds, including Alizarin Crimson; I also used Cadmium Red, and Phalo Green & Blue for the darker reds all of which was mixed with Titanium White mixed.

Rhi-Sparks: I'm glad you liked my stuff, and you are definitely and artist

7. BIEREN

Oct 12, 2005
    I've updated this file to ask for help finding a better referance picture for the painting below, Thanks

http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=macevspalpitinezo1.jpg

8. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    Bieren, you keep astounding me. You're blooming excellent! Keep it up!
    :D

9. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek::eek:

You got all that from a reference of only 8 pixels?!?!

=D==D=

I bow to your expert skills!
    What a fantastic painting (and it looks just about done to me, btw--the softer, subdued lighting on the combatants seems to intensify the energy, somehow, especially when offset by their coiled postures and lightsabers ready to strike)!! =D= Just as with all your paintings, my mouth sort of dropped open at first view and stayed that way while I studied it--the detailing in the cityscape beyond the room is stunning--so much accuracy in light and detail, even down to all the airtraffic crowding between the towering buildings. Just fantastic! And as I said before--I have no trouble identifying either of these figures just as they are right now: Mace's saber is purple, Sidious' weapon obviously red--I just love the movement in this, with both of them coiled to strike...beautiful. I wish I could offer a better reference for you (I know how frustrating it is to try working from something very small and lacking in detail!)--I suppose my only suggestion might be to look for some hi-res individual photos of both these characters, then interpret from those for this scene. That's not much help, I know--take a look at this site--there might be some photos there that will be of help. Really, though--this is looking just fabulous to me just as it is right now! :D Great, great work, BIEREN!

FF

10. BIEREN

Oct 12, 2005
    Rhi and FF, thanks for you compliments, this painting really is just a work in progress...I'll finish it some day and post it agian.

FF, by the way great pic-site. I'll have to go back there as the need arises.

11. BIEREN

Oct 12, 2005
    I added another self portrait, I was going to add this as my personal picture in my profile, but I couldn't load it...oh well.

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I'll say it again: you make a great Thrawn BIEREN!! ;) :D

Excellent lighting in this one--you seem to capture that starship-bridge-lighting very well--and wonderful coloring. I like the angle of this one, too: sort of from below, looking up. It gives a very nice energy to it (and seeing the starfield out the overhead viewports is very cool, too! :p ). An excellent piece!

FF

13. BIEREN

Oct 12, 2005
    Thanks Falcon, its nice to be appreciated by an artist of your caliber.

14. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    Wonderful pics! I especially like your Maul and Vader paintings... What an honor to have it signed by J. E. Jones!!!

15. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    What a great Sandtrooper/Dewback piece, BIEREN!! I love the originality of this one: having the dewback inspecting a fallen bantha is just so appropriate! This is what the beast would surely do if it were real: take advantage of a meal it didn't have to fight for! The shading and volume in the whole thing is wonderful. Great work!

FF

16. BIEREN

Oct 12, 2005
    Thanks Falcon and Daenna, that was an older piece- from the late 90's. I might try it again (dewback vs. bantha) with a little more action in it...someday. Anyway i just posted something new, I did here at the office.

17. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    (Yoda and Yaddle)
    Hahaha! ....Awesome :)

18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    **falls on floor laughing hysterically**

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

Oh NO!! This is just too great! =D= And a big Clonetrooper-shaped jar of "Yoda and Yaddle" cookies to you, BIEREN, for giving me such a great laugh! It really is wonderful, in execution: the coloring, shading and figure positioning--but the sideways humor is just priceless!

[face_laugh]

FF

19. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Man, that Yoda is buff!!! LOL nice job!

AG88

20. BIEREN

Oct 12, 2005
    I had recently seen the original Star Wars poster and this image just popped into my head, I thought it could be funny. I first drew it in Illustrator, shaded the colors in Photoshop, and then ran it through a filter.

21. BIEREN

Oct 12, 2005
  22. BIEREN

Oct 12, 2005
    I just posted a new painting

23. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    That is a beautiful painting of Lando. You are getting really good.

AG88

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow!! =D==D=

That's a fantastic painting of Lando! You so totally captured his rogue-ish expression, and the lighting here is perfect! Excellent work on the likeness, the armor/costume, everything! Great piece! =D=

FF

25. BIEREN

Oct 12, 2005
    AG88, Falcon,
    Thanks, this painting came rather quick, everything just fell in to place I had some really good reference shots for this.. and that always helps. Thanks for you critique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.