main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ender's Game series: The Enemy's Gate is Down!

Discussion in 'Community' started by ShrunkenJedi, Jan 5, 2006.

1. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Ugh, really? :(
    Do they mention the Locke Proposal causing Ender to leave Earth?

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just can't see how they could've possibly made a faithful adaptation of the book and even hope for it to succeed.

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    DarkEagle nope
    Peter choked Ender out in his room in the beginning of the movie and that's all we see of him

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was pretty unimpressed. I felt that if I hadn't read the books, I'd be totally lost and dislike it. And having read the books, I feel like my only positive impressions come from the associations with the books and the desire to read them again since it's been years and years. A point in its favor is that it seems fairly faithful (they compressed like hell, but didn't invent as far as I can tell, which is nice) but it also felt rather thin and superficial to me .There was just no dramatic weight to it.

edit:
    Ok, so I'm not crazy! I was telling some others that I felt that Peter's role was really nonexistent, but I didn't remember whether all the political stuff with him was in the original books or developed more in the Bean sequels...

Obi-Zahn Kenobi and Condition2SQ like this.
  5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

Now I really feel like I need to reread the book because I feel the same.

I plan on seeing it on Wednesday. I really don't want to spend money on it though, after reading your guys' thoughts...

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Someone else will be paying for my ticket![face_dancing]

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Concerning Peter:

His and Valentine's World Domination plot was utterly ridiculous in Ender's Game, mainly because it was never the central focus it was not properly developed, resulting in the cliched "these kids could see and solve the global issues the adults governing the world couldn't." Ender's plot had a focus; Peter's (and Val to a lesser extent) did not, at least not in that book. It did not serve to advance the story in any way -- if anything concerning Peter was resolved in the end, it was mostly off-screen book-wise, providing Val one more reason to run off with Ender at the end. But it wasn't necessary, and I can understand why the filmmakers would want to cut it.

Question for those who have seen this, since I'm still on the line about going: did they include the weird video/mind-games, or did they cut most of that? I could see that being difficult to portray onscreen without turning into some sort of drug-induced mind-****. Or maybe like the sudden animated part of Mary Poppins.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I guess I agree. While there is some interesting dramatic tension in watching the emergence of a potential dictator--and it makes a nice contrast to the unintentional slide into genocide/xenocide by his brother--the way it actually played out was stupid. While the first step to become influential opinion columnists worked well enough, the leap from there to actual political leaders was completely absurd. I also don't much miss Valentine, who by the later novels was explicitly admitted to be some sort of physical embodiment of the Platonic idea of love. Because, you know, women cooking cookies. No greater goodness than that.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, that's what an adaptation offers: the chance to make it not stupid. As it is, the guy is in it for all of three minutes while beating on his brother, and his only function is to help Ender find the Goldilocks between brutality and compassion (a plot thread that ends up being completely dropped by the end anyway). I'm all for restraining the flights of fancy, but the movie makes all the military folks out to be idiots who depend on kids playing video games (and outthinking them the entire time anyway, which makes one wonder what the point of using children even was; the movie claimed it was just because children are more inventive or something, but they spent the whole time showing how dumb the kids were) so it's not like the movie took a more realistic take. It didn't -- it was a fairly straight adaptation that just left stuff out.

And I don't fault them for the focus on Ender since there's only so much you can do in a film, but making his siblings into complete one-notes is pretty shoddy work.

Condition2SQ likes this.
  10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    On the whole, the movie might have been better had they only attempted to adapt the original short story.

Father Estevão didn't starve to death. The descoladora killed him. And Warmaker's heresy was far more severe than the Filioque.

Personally I felt Morrison was the obvious choice. Kingsley did well in the role but I always conceived of Rackham appearing more Maori.

I used my phone. Beware.pf.typos.

11. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    For sticking with the story I'd give it an 8.5/10. It was too rushed, didn't give enough backstory, and
    knowing that the scenes from the Mind Game were real I don't think was easy for non-readers to pick out

Harrison Ford was perfect as Graff. Actually, I think all of the actors were great. Some were a bit older, but it was needed. It would be difficult to show a 6-year difference from start to finish. The passing of time was also very difficult to track.

For effects, I'd give it a bloody 15/10. The Battle Room was SPECTACULAR. I was a little peeved it didn't turn pitch black during battles, but it really was amazing. The "stars" were just as I imagined. The Mind Game effects, the end battle scenes, the mix between computer and human, the Little Doctor...I was in awe. I think my breath was literally taken away at times.

Was it me, or was there a Wilhelm Scream in the final battle?

I know this doesn't add up, but overall I'd give it a 9/10.

12. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    It's not coming out for another month here :( :( :(

Is it any better in 3D?

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I really liked it and didn't mind that it cut some stuff out. My two main gripes were that the actor who played Bonzo was absolutely terrible, and the ending was way too abrupt.

14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    It didn't come out in 3D.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  15. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    I loved it. I don't think a better adaptation of the book could have been made nor do I mind them cutting the Peter/Valentine storyline for the sake of narrative cohesiveness. I've seen this movie twice, each time with people who have not read the novel, and everyone has enjoyed it. I'll be lending the book to several of them, which I think is what really shows the success of the adaptation.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Would Ender's Shadow be a decent film adaptation? It's been forever since I read that one.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I saw this. It was as stupid as I had been warned.Fundamentally, I think part of the problem is that the Battle School experience takes up some 3/4 of the book, whereas it's about one half hour of a 2 hour movie. As a result, none of the supporting characters ever come alive at all, we don't really get any hint of either Ender's tactical brilliance nor his emotional struggles, and some of the logic of events just disappears.

18. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Still no word as to whether Lionsgate is going to continue the franchise or not? I thought they were supposed to have made a decision by Thanksgiving.

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's one of the biggest flops of the year. Why would they make a sequel? You're much more likely to see Disney's Lone Ranger 2. Maybe I'll finally watch it when it comes out on video, but I'm guessing that even after video sales and rentals they're still looking at a $100 million loss.

20. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    An article on Collider in early November indicated that Lionsgate might possibly continue the franchise through a TV show, but nothing's been said since, which is why I asked. And no, I haven't seen the film yet, but I want to.

http://collider.com/enders-game-2-sequel-tv-series/

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It seems to have flopped harder than After Earth which is a real shame because I enjoyed this one a lot.

22. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    The worst was the end. I felt cheated because I had never read the book and didnt know that the "training simulation" was real. So I was going, ok this is cool but when's the...WHAT WHY DID THEY DO THAT. Pure garbage. It may work in a book but it's totally unacceptable in a movie. Its a cheap plot twist.

23. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    lol how is it cheap? It's the opposite of cheap.

DarkEagle likes this.
  24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Saw this for the first time yesterday. It was pretty enjoyable as someone who has not read the book. I think it probably suffered a lot from the backlash against OSC. The worst thing by far was Ben Kingsley's casting and his awful attempt at a Maori accent. Sounded like an Australian who had lived most of his life in South Africa.