main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Ep 3 - Padme's Last Words

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Styrofoam_Guy, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Anyone know what she said. After seeing the movie 3 times I still didn't get it.

I thought she said something like "there is still hope..." Referring to Anikin can still be saved. But that does not make sense as she thinks he is dead. And if shewas referring to Anikin can be saved why has she lost the will to live?

What does the novel say?

Anyone?

2. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Personally, I heard

"There is still some good in him"

Echoing what Luke said about Vader in the OT, Thats just what I heard anyways :)

3. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Gaaahhhhhhhghhghghhhhh.

;)

4. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    it is supposed to be "Obi Wan there is still good in him, I know this" or to that extent

5. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    Ok if that is true then why has she lost the will to live? Would she not want to fight to live to try and bring him back to the good side? Did Obi say he was still alive or did he feel he was alive?

Just wondering :D

6. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Perhaps watching the man she loved so very deeply switch into someone she didn't know over a short period of time and then barely survived his attempt to kill her shook Padme's confidence so deeply she no longer knew who she was. What her core beliefs were.

Despite sensing that Anakin might still be redeemed, and giving birth to two children, she was so emotionally crushed and in shock that her only escape from a descent into madness was to let go and pass away.

7. brokenyolk

brokenyolk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    ^ I'll buy that. Sounds good.

Someone give Woofer a script writing deal already!

8. Spore

Spore Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    Any woman who would give up on her 2 newborns because of a moronic man isn't worth spit in my books... she should have lived and gone into hiding on Alderaan or died outright from her injuries... none of the pansy "losing the will to live" garbage. I'm guessing Lucas isn't too emotionally attached to his kids if he let that slide by.

9. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I agree with Spore there. Mothers generally...just do not do that. I still think that Palpatine was killing her somehow.

10. brokenyolk

brokenyolk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    Hmmmm....now I agree with Spore.

I'm too easily swayed.

11. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Mothers don't all put their kids first... The fear of going it alone can be overwhelming... Abortion, abandonment and adoption wouldn't be an issue were it so...

So it is completely believable that she might not feel it worth living without her love with her...

12. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I agree with what was already said about Padmes choice of death rather than fighting to remain alive so that she could raise her children. Granted that if she were to, that she could be endangering them, but that is why I always believed that it was Padme that raised Leia on Alderaan, not the Queen.

It rather irked me that a character that risked seemed so brave and selfless in the first two movies would be so quick to throw in the towel over one person. Yes, even if that person was her husband that she was madly in loved with. Personally if I had just given birth to twins and knew that I was about to pass, my last words would proably be more along the lines of "Take care of my children" rather than convincing someone that my husband had just tried to kill that there was still some good left in him.

13. Spore

May 13, 2005
    I'm all for women having choice... it's just that none of those options seemed realistic for a character strong enough to lead a planet, fight for the freedom of her people and have great influence on a galactic council.

It's very unsatisfying for her character to have been weakend by such a self-pittying demise...

14. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    Actually, I don't think she thinks that Anakin was dead. After all, when she last saw Obi Wan, she asked if Anakin was alright, and then she passed out. And then she was giving birth. I think she thought he was still alive.

And she was trying to tell Obi Wan that she believed that there was still good in him...much like Luke believed it of Vader at the end of ROTJ.

At least, that's the impression I got.

15. Psiberian

Psiberian Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2000
    See, part of my problem here is that I never really understood why Padme was so in love with Anakin in the first place - I mean, I see Anakin's feelings for Padme as *obsession* more then it was ever love, and I never saw a reason in Episode 2 why she suddenly turned around and admitted that she loved him too (Except for plot and script, of course).
    So the only thing that I can think of is that Anakin's obsession somehow wore off on her - He may even have been subconciously influencing her through the Force (an early and subtle manifestation of the DS?), and while he was "good" the resulting mutual obsession resembled love. However - when he went fully down the path to the DS, Padme, because of her own good nature, "couldn't follow"...But Anakin's "hooks" were so deep, her own reflected obsession so ingrained, that his fall essentially tore her "soul" in two - Breaking her "heart" almost literally. This would explain why Padme had changed so much since she "gave in" to Anakin, and, ironicly, it would mean that Anakin unintentionally *was* the true cause of Padme's death.

Hmmm...I was pretty much writing that down as it came to me...does it make sense to anyone else? [face_thinking]

Edit: I just had an interesting conversation with a friend on MSN about this theory...:

Jenny Lee says:
    and what you're talking about is co-dependence
    look that up sometime.
    strong people fall into codependence traps often.

Shawn says:
    Yeah - And I'm saying that it was Force-influenced co-dependence.
    It wasn't a "simple" broken heart. It was something that actually broke her.

Jenny Lee says:
    right.
    same deal, really.
    force manipulation wouldn't be any different than emotional manipulation
    when you get right down to it

Shawn says:
    Well...There's no way to say for sure, because it's not real - But I'd say that it would be worse....More like direct mind-control then emotional manipulation.

Jenny Lee says:
    heh. you've never been codependent.
    it pretty much feels like mind control.
    you lose yourself almost completely
    and by the end of it, if you manage to leave, you have no idea who you are and you can't find any sort of self-worth.
    so it's an incredibly difficult uphill climb to recover and become functional
    add on top of that having babies, (2, at that) and knowing that you may have to take care of them alone, and giving up isn't so hard to believe.
    sometimes selfishness can overwhelm motherly instinct.
    often right after birth, actually

Shawn says:
    Hmmm....
    Can I post this?

Jenny Lee says:
    go for it

16. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Very interesting take on the situation....must ponder.

17. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    Ok going with the force killing her, I am now thinking maybe Anikin killed her. When he though she betrayed him and started to choke her at the same time sinc ehe is so strong with the force he basically made her body shut down.

I also hate how she starts of as a very strong main charater and then ends up as an afterthough that bascially does nothing.

Reminds me a bit like Leia but not as bad.

18. Spore

May 13, 2005
    I think any of that is way too deep for Lucas... a good idea... but not something Lucas would have intended... otherwise we would have seen his ability to create emotional relationships that work in EPI and II.

19. Psiberian

Dec 7, 2000
    I agree and disagree with you Spore - Thing is, if we were to only worry about what Lucas intended, then there would be no point in speculating at all; What Lucas wrote says that Anakin and Padme were in love. When Anakin betrayed her, she died of a broken heart (And the Force was a virus :rolleyes: ) . As you said - Lucas doesn't tend to go "deep". However it seems to me that Lucas *always* wrote Anakin's "love", intentionally or not, as an obsession; Thus leading to my speculation. And it really does fit the situation quite well...

20. Spore

May 13, 2005
    It saddens me that Lucas had years to come up with something incredibly valid on all accounts and failed... whereas fans can do it in a matter of moments.

This final chapter was supposed to complete things... not create new questions that will never be answered... unless Padme's not really dead... and her death was faked... and she'll pop up in the TV series...

Can I get a Vader "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..."?

21. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Everyone assumes that because Leia remembers her mother, that Padme had to be around for her to actually remember. But that may not be true. Even if Leia doesn't remember her mother from that short time at her birth, she could have "memories" from what people have told her. She said that all she remembers is "...images, really. Feelings." She could have seen pictures of her mother and been told about her by Bail, who seems to have been rather close to Padme.

22. Aina

Aina Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2003
    just to comment on the Vader "Nooooooooo..." it resembles Treebeard's "Nooooooo..." in Two Towers a lot! Sounds almost exactly the same! ;)

23. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    Spore said: Can I get a Vader "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..."?

Oooh..this one's NOT going away!!!!

Aina said: just to comment on the Vader "Nooooooooo..." it resembles Treebeard's "Nooooooo..." in Two Towers a lot! Sounds almost exactly the same!

I can see the comparision...but Treebeard was plausible, not cheesy angst (straight up pain!), and more of an angry roar - not so much corny...whereas Vader's was just downright SILLY!!! :p

24. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    but Vader's sounds so much like Anikan, I think it makes it more believable that they are the same person still.

25. Psiberian

Dec 7, 2000
    http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

Not going away...Nooooo... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.