main
side
curve

Chic, IL Ep2 [ No, no spoilers :P ]

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by matt_maul, Jan 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt_maul

matt_maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2001
    Howdy one, howdy all. Greetings to ya from me, Matt Maul. Sorry, had to.

Anyway.

It's never too early to start planning, as they say, so what's the current outlook in Ep2 line-ups? After Ep1 I think we have a better idea of the potential pitfalls and hazards that are involved in a line-up of that magnitude, so we should be in a good position to do Ep2 even better!

First off, do we want to do it at McClurg again? Sure theater 1 rules, sure it's downtown and close to the media and attention we love ever so much but it's right off the lake, poorly laid out for people to sit/stand/sleep/collapse in front of and the crazy homeless people at 3am leaves a lot to be desired of a line-up. One potential replacement for McClurg, at least in my opinion, would be The Gardens at Old Orchard. It's in a mall, so we'd just have to clear it with the mall office (no pleading with Chinese food restaurants and hotel dignitaries again) and there's plenty of room - plus there's a Barnes and Noble right across from there!

I know it's the 'burbs and there are some of us without a way to get out to the burbs easily but there are plenty of trains and buses that go out there and I'd be willing to pick people up from Chicagoland to get up there come May 2002, I'm sure. Well me and other CF members.

So discuss! I think we should stay away from those googaplexes in the burbs but McClurg just didn't feel right. Great theater but not ideal for a line, my opinion again. Take care one and all.

matt maul.

2. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    FWIW, I think the Old Orchard suggestion is worth considering... especially with the aforementioned B&N right there. Open until 11pm and all that.... :D

Thom

3. matt_maul

Jan 6, 2001
    Thom wrote:

"FWIW, I think the Old Orchard suggestion is worth considering... especially with the aforementioned B&N right there. Open until 11pm and all that.... :D"

===

That's what I mean! I was just out there this past weekend and I noticed a few things that make it attractive to me for a line location.

1. LARGE area to camp out in. Lots of planters to sit on/set up things on.

2. Lots of people coming and going so lots of publicity. Remember, we're a charity so the most people find out about us, the better!

3. Outdoors but not totally out in the open. There are buildings so the wind doesn't get right at you. It's still open, though, so the sun and all that good stuff gets in.

4. One authority: mall management. We need power? Food? Permission to sell t-shirts? Problems with stores getting on our nerves? One place to go and they're nicer than Judge Judy.

*shrug*

Ah dunno. It just seems like a better choice. I suppose come 5/02 we'll know for sure. Later!

matt maul.

4. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, my pick would still be McClurg Court, still my personal favorite theater in the city. For Episode I, I didn't get in line until after 6 a.m. on the day they went on sale. I still got to see it on an afternoon showing on opening day. I don't know if I could do a multiple-day waiting in line thing.

Phil

5. matt_maul

Jan 6, 2001
    Hey Phil, all.

Well the multi-day waiting thing is exactly why I thought a move to The Gardens would be a prime choice indeed. I waited with other people here for 3 days to get tickets and then another 3 days to see the movie. From that experience and my ever-so crafty brain I decided that The Gardens would make a better place to camp out.

Sure McClurg is a kick-ass theater. Theater 1 there is mindblowingly huge. I'm thinking of the whole experience, however. I can only speak for myself when I say that waiting in line for Ep1 was far more fun than sitting and watching Ep1 by itself. It's for that reason that I'm looking at other venues. You can see Ep2 wherever, in just about any theater, and enjoy the movie. But to sit in line for days and days, that takes a more thought out theater choice.

matt maul.

6. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    a few things...

1) hey, mattmaul! welcome back! long time, no see (best in show, as I recall, though I've run into you at at least one other random movie, I think...)!

2) I really wanna camp out downtown again. i'm sorry if this sounds uppity, but i just don't know how any suburban location could replicate the unexpected thrills, chills and wackiness of the streets of Chicago. There's just always something going on.

3) Until we have some kind of info to go on--when tickets will go on sale, how that will work, etc.--this seems kinda moot. But it sure is fun to speculate about. ;)

Matt Just Matt

7. matt_maul

Jan 6, 2001

Heh.

1. Thanks. Yeah, Best in Show and otherwise, not sure. Good to be back.

2. It don't sound uppity, in fact I totally understand. Problem that I see is that we really had a problem getting clearance to do certain things last time and I'd hate to see that happen again. Power turning off in the middle of the night? Mancow coming and ****ing with us? There's just too much that went on that being in a more controlled environment would help. Ah dunno.

3. I can imagine tickets will go on sale around the same time they did last time. But until we know more, of course it's all just speculation. Good thing is that we have over 16 months to plan this sucker out so whatever we end up doing, everthing'll hopefully run smoothly.

matt maul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.