main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EpIII SA: Linking and Refreshing

Discussion in 'Communications' started by QueenDorme, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    There are definitely some great ideas in here. Just realize most of these official threads were created in anticipation of what might become common themes. It would appear that a bunch of these now could be locked. But it needs to go hand-in-hand with new information. As we learn more and more about Vader and Anakin's transformation, it's not fair to limit discussion to a single thread. So as we gain knowledge on the film, we'll adjust the official threads accordingly.

2. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    As we learn more and more about Vader and Anakin's transformation, it's not fair to limit discussion to a single thread.

Another good point, not all of them will be official. When real spoilers and pictures come out, they all don't have to be 'Official Threads' but hey. Some of the Official Threads won't be replied to, and get lost under all the threads. And 3SA's will to, getting new ones and deleting old ones.

3. QueenDorme

QueenDorme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    It would appear that a bunch of these now could be locked.

Exactly. Just to be refreshed and, as suggested, renamed as Ultimate threads (unless they are Official threads like the Index and Newbie guides).

The idea of Ultimate will appeal to those who want to create a fan support for upcoming ideas. Once the information has been officially released, a new thread can be started called "the Official *** Thread" in which ideas and suggestions about the 'things' involvement in EpIII can be madly and wildly discussed. ;)

But it needs to go hand-in-hand with new information.

Perhaps this is when it should be updated to a second version? Say we have an Ultimate Tarkin Thread, it is hinging on 3 months old, then some new information is released. That may be the correct time to reopen the thread. Perhaps it could be called " The 3 Months or New Info" rule.

Another good point, not all of them will be official.When real spoilers and pictures come out, they all don't have to be 'Official Threads' but hey.

Well, Official Thread should be limited to;

JC Administration (Welcome, Index, Newbie)
    Select Picture
    Online Video
    SW Insider
    Confirmed Character/Ship/Tech/Org by OS
    OS Featurettes

Some of the Official Threads won't be replied to, and get lost under all the threads.

The Mods can link them in an Official Index Thread.

4. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    I really like your idea of having Ultimate threads and Official threads. It would help the boards a lot and make it less cluttered. Also I agree that we have way too many Official threads at this time. They're a good idea but they make the forum look bad when they're over done.

5. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    Well, Official Thread should be limited to;

JC Administration (Welcome, Index, Newbie)
    Select Picture
    Online Video
    SW Insider
    Confirmed Character/Ship/Tech/Org by OS
    OS Featurettes

True. I think there should be about one for each of the main characters/planets, special effects, photos and box office. Plus the Features/Spy Reports.

In 3SA (Episode III: Spoilers Allowed), Grilled-Sarlacc put together the Essential Guide to Great Threads.

With this, he took many of the thready that had more than two pages, and put them in the thread. Their not all official, but thats what many of us use in 3SA to re-direct.

Their not always official threads.

6. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    The Essential Thread Guide was an off-shoot of the Spoiler Index I used to keep before becoming a mod. It took a ton of work. When I was promoted, I couldn't do it anymore. His is much better. Mine had every single thread in the forum in the index. He takes the best of the categories and uses those instead. We also removed the header link to the official threads. They are now a link in his Essential Thread Guide. He has done a fantastic job with that thread. I would continue to check it periodically as we are constantly updating it. :)

7. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    Yes, he is amazing, keeping that thing updated.

The hard part is going through it to see if the links still work, and deciding which threads to take off. wstraka5, Grilled-Sarlacc and I did it back in July/August...

8. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Like I said, we're all sort of watching over it now. We have more admins watching over the 3SA then we did back then, so it's quite easier to manage that thread now.

[shameless plug] 18,000 posts! [/shameless plug]

9. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    True. I wasn't here back then, but I can see why.

There is always alot of Redundant threads in 3SA, which means Linking and Refreshing is needed, in my opnion.

Congrats Sapient :)

10. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Actually, I don't really know what happened to my old thread. I'd be curious to look at it again just for nostalgia. Who knows how many pages back it is now.

11. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    To bad they don't have a search engine for it :(

I think there would be some major updates to that now, wouldn't there ;)

Theres a way to find it probably, just go to your latest posts, and just have the ones that are in 3SA, and then go back...Alot of pages. If it still exists ?[face_plain]

12. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    The hard part is going through it to see if the links still work, and deciding which threads to take off. wstraka5, Grilled-Sarlacc and I did it back in July/August...

Say what?

13. QueenDorme

QueenDorme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Well I was here before most of you. :p

The idea of indexing some things, again, really should be done closer to official releases. ie. Cast listings (which were the first official sources).

Everything else is rumor/specualtion fodder.

14. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Believe it or not, there are some 'coding in the works' that might make a search possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.