main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Episode 1 Kimono Pre-Senate Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by SenatorChristina, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    Is it synthetic?
    If you have access to a Sally's Beauty Supply or the like, there's a silicone shine spray they have.
    I can't remember what it's called, but I know silicone is one of the main components and likely on the front label as a selling point.

A little bit, and gentle combing with a wide toothed comb should get the tangles out and keep them out for a while.

2. Xath

Xath Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2007
    Great! There's a wig supply store right up here. I'll try and check it out tomorrow.

I went up to New York today on a whim, and I'm so glad I did because 3 of the stores that had my fabric are going out of business. I also picked up fabric for Padme's packing dress, because I'm thinking of starting that one too.

3. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Some stores in NYC are perpetually going out of business, but lately they actually have ended up actually doing so.
    I somehow missed when a whole bunch of bargain fabric stores in Downtown Brooklyn lost their lease (they were all in one 1/2 block long building). And I don't know if they had a clearance sale (pout) or just moved (but to where?)

4. Xath

Xath Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2007
    I picked up some silicone spray today, and it's worked great. Thanks for the advice. I did the basic styling on the wig today. Here's my progress.

[image=http://www.circvsmaximvs.com/imagehosting/16466f5abe0a0d7.jpg]

[image=http://www.circvsmaximvs.com/imagehosting/16466f5ac2cdd38.jpg]

[image=http://www.circvsmaximvs.com/imagehosting/16466f5ac5ed8bd.jpg]

5. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    That looks GORGEOUS Xath!! Very nice. I'll have to try out the silicone spray on my pony-tail hairpiece (I used to use it for Ep. 1 Handmaiden Padmé). :) How did you do that bun? Or is it part of the hairpiece already?

P.S. Did you end up getting that puffy blue fabric for the blue underlayer?

6. Xath

Xath Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2007
    Thanks. :) I bought the bun as a separate piece. Then I cut a small hole in the bottom area of it and pulled the hair from the main wig through.

I want to curl the ends of it. Does anyone know how to curl a synthetic wig? I'm pretty sure I remember that you're not supposed to use a curling iron...

I did. Although when I got to the store, they had another fabric that almost got me. The ripple texture was better, but it was a really regular pattern throughout, and it was really shiny. I figured the blue was less accurate, but would give me more of the color and depth I was looking for.

7. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    There's a bit about curling a synthetic wig at this site:

www.acewigs.com

I linked right to the Wig Maintenance page, and they discuss curling in the bottom half (after the washing instructions that are highlighted in red). You can also google "curling a wig," and you'll get several different methods. :)

8. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    one more bead strand done. [face_hypnotized] 7 down, 43 to go.

9. Xath

Xath Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2007
    I'm trying to texturize the silver areas on the headpiece, but I'm having difficulties. Does anyone have any advice?

10. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    I wish I had a suggestion. That's one thing I keep looking at and thinking about, too. [face_plain] Did you figure something out?

I've been swatching like crazy again, and I found a really good/fairly close match to the fabric used for the burgundy underskirt and neck sash. :) Decorative International Silk has a beautiful yarn-dyed (cross-dyed) chiffon that's fuschia and peacock green. Granted, it's not teal or blue, or whatever the bluish color was decided to be, but it's REALLY close.

Here's a direct link to the chiffon. It looks REALLY bright in the picture, but it's either flash, or they brightened the photos for detail. The fabric isn't NEARLY that bright in person. It's much more subtle and burgundy looking.

I grabbed several yards, and also picked up their dupioni swatch book, today. None of their silk taffetas are right for the outer kimono, although they have one or two that could work for the Episode 3 Peacock gown. So, might as well check the dupioni. :)

11. Yeesha

Yeesha Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2006
    In order to get some texture to the arcs I glued a piece of tulle to arcs and then painted them with silver spray-paint.
    Here's a very blurry pic...
    [image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o163/Jedi_Yeesha/HPIM0239.jpg]

12. Xath

Xath Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2007
    I ended up using horsehair braid on top of the plasti-form I used to shape the head-piece. I'll post some pictures when I get a bit further.

13. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    hmmmm... both of those are good ideas. I was kinda thinking along those same lines. I have some left-over window screen material (made from fiberglass - I put together new screens for our apartment windows cuz one was missing, and the other has puncture holes in it thanks to a neighborhood cat) that I was thinking about sewing around the arcs.

14. Xath

Xath Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2007
    What did you guys use to make the raised arcs? I was thinking of using a thick ridge of white glue, but it keeps sinking into the horsehair. Any suggestions?

15. Xath

Xath Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2007
    Gah, so it was a mad rush to get the costume finished in time for Gencon. I didn't manage to take any more progress shots, but I'm sure I'll be able to find some finished shots on the internet soon. I got 1st place in the Professional Category of the contest, and was then voted Best in Show by the audience. :D

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    That's great news! Congrats Xath! Can't wait to see some pictures. :)

17. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    ooooooo!! yes, congrats!!! :D

18. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    Congrats! I didn't totally hear who all won as I left to head to another event just about when the winners were being announced. It was again very enjoyable to be a pre-judge so I could get a close-up look at fantastic work put into the competition costumes. Plus I was the last person most of the contestants saw before going on stage, except for the Anime category as I was emcee for that section of the competition.

Congrats again for a beautifully made costume:)

19. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    That is fantastic! Congratulations Xath! Your pre-Senate gown looks amazing!

20. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Oh WOW!!! Xath, it's BEAUTIFUL!!! WAY TO GO!!! And congrats again on the wins!! [face_dancing]

21. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    I want to see some pics. Anyone have some links?
    *EDIT* Found them but you still put a few here o_O

22. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Xath's gorgeous gown, courtesy of her friend's Flickr gallery:
    (I linked to the large pics - my apologies if they take a while to load)

One - kinda blurry
    Two - at the mic (good view of obi)
    Three - Winning!
    Four - awards in hand (good view of costume details)
    Five - attention! and a good side shot. ;)
    Six - mother and daughter

23. Xath

Xath Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2007
    Thanks Kreleia. You rock.

24. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    You're welcome! :)

Of course, you know that we now have to pick your brain about the final construction details, right? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.