main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode 2 - The lightsaber effects..

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Jedi-Samus, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Desann, whatever GL does in the movies becomes facts for sabers ;)

2. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    MasterIndy:
    The SE versions (both VHS and laserdisc) were both done from a new master... they should be fine...
    As for finding high-quality prints of the original versions (that were remastered pre-Special Edition), they may only be findable on laserdisc now... there was that one huge boxset and the regular THX releases....

No DVDs for the next three years, at least...

Fenn

3. fred_nahr

fred_nahr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2002
    What I like to do (emphasis on I) i suse Ryan_w's method, but i use five layers, a very low level of gaussian blur so it almost looks like its bleeding into the core, but the core is still defined, then a less tight aura, then a looser and so on. Then i tweak thecore layer and add some noise (i use the magic wand too so only the white areas have it added) and change the color balance a little so it has a bit of magenta in ut, just barely tho, then the core seems to flicker, and it looks HOT, but only if i do it right, in some wierd lighting conditions I have to tweak it a little to get it right. Ill post a vid soon.

4. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    ooookkkkk... you guys are just a LITTLE too obsessed.
    Pixel Magic: great sabers, i think they might be a tad bright though.

5. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    ooookkk... you guys are just a LITTLE too obsessed.
    PIXELMAGIC: awesome sabers! i think they may be just a tad bright though.

6. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Ok we get it!

jk...i know...i know...you pressed the ok button on accident then pressed back :) or thought the thing never completed :) i hate that.

~Neszis~

7. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999

The ONLY consistent looking blades in any one episode in my opinion is ESB. And they were beautifully done. :)

Definitely a lack of gradual transparency on the AOTC blades. The cores did not look hot especially dooku's and on the film print the green blades in the arena look horrible and yellow.

8. KuroSatsu

KuroSatsu Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2002
    I think the saber effects for epII are okay...they seem a bit tacky and happy though. Kind of like something you find in a roll of sweet tarts =/.

Take the purple for example, too much pinkness too it. Should be more of a darker violet color. Like the one I made

[image=http://www.darkshadowshq.com/Cool%20Pics/kurosaber.jpg]
    ^ gotta click on it...not suppose to be smooshed like that.

I base mine off of the original series ones from ROTJ. That's where I get the STARK white blade from. I figure that the energy in the middle is so intense that color is not seen, only white. Kind of like the center of the galaxy has so many stars that it looks like a white ball =).

-Kuro

9. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    I think some of you are forgetting that lightsabers are an 'imaginary weapon'. They don't exhist in real life, so how they look shouldn't make a difference! Inconsistancies throughout the different films are also irrelevant. It's the story that's important! If you're going to start criticising how different the sabers look, why not also mention how Ewan McGregor looks nothing like Sir Alec Guiness, or how Hayden looks nothing like the actor who played Anakin's part at the end end of ROTJ. Sorry, I've forgotten his name. I for one have never watched a Star Wars film by George Lucas and been bothered by how the sabers look.

10. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    "If you're going to start criticising how different the sabers look, why not also mention how Ewan McGregor looks nothing like Sir Alec Guiness, or how Hayden looks nothing like the actor who played Anakin's part at the end end of ROTJ."

...because that's not true. Ewan and Sir Alec could easily be the same guy at different points in his life. And Hayden and Sebastian Shaw...well, maybe.

M. Scott

11. Son-Of-Suns

Aug 18, 2000
    I could see Ewan aging into Alec, but Hayden into Shaw... No.

12. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    In just 20 years? Maybe they'll need to create one of those Quicktime VR morphs like they did going from Jake to Hayden.

13. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Maybe they'll need to create one of those Quicktime VR morphs like they did going from Jake to Hayden.

I really hope they don't. And we can only speculate on what time Ep. III will cover. But if they need an older Obi-Wan or Anakin...Or Padmé...whatever non-virtual character... I hope they don't do it CG. Make-up is enough, works great, and looks more realistic than morphing.

14. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    I saw a mockup pic of Ewan with an Alec Guinness style beard and some wrinkles added and it was hard to tell the difference. So maybe Lucase will be able to make him look more like the OT Obi-Wan.

15. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    Is this the pic you're speaking of ?

"A good fake, but not good enough to fool cyber-geeks. :)" - TFN News, April 8th.

16. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    "And we can only speculate on what time Ep. III will cover."

18 Years before A New Hope.

17. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    :confused:

[face_blush] Ooops ! You're right Pixel. My bad. Now I remember reading this in some magazine...

18. Son-Of-Suns

Aug 18, 2000
    Well Episode III is going to be 2-3 years after AotC, so I don't imagine they'll look any different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.