main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Episode 2 Trailer/Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by navaren, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    I just got back from Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, and was disappointed to find that the Episode 2 trailer was not being shown with the movie. When I asked the management about it, I was told that Warner Bros. and Lucasfilm had both issued an edict blocking the release of this trailer with this film. I was then further told that the trailer was totally unavailable....even on the Internet.<br>
    It was at that point that I knew the guy was lying to me. Don't go to the Wynnsong expecting to find the trailer- because you won't find it there.<br>
    Take care.

2. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    I hear the Scera's not showing it either...

3. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I heard that depending on what showing you went to you got to see it. I went yesterday at 1 and they didn't have it either but others went later and they saw it.

4. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

I went and saw Harry Potter at the Provo Towne Center, a Cinemark theater, and they didn't show it there either. From what I understand, the entire Cinemark chain was instructed to not show the trailer.

The trailer was indeed intended to be shown. HERE is a scan of the projectionist instrucions that accompanied the trailer. This new trailer, "Forbidden Love" is still available for viewing at http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/video/trailers/forbiddenlove/

I haven't seen any "official" explanations as to why the trailer was pulled, but I suspect Hollywood politics were involved. A real box office battle is brewing between Warner Brothers and 20th Century Fox over Harry Potter and the upcoming release of Episode II. Part of that may be that Warner Brothers hasn't had that many big blockbuster films. The biggest Box Office draw for WB in recent memory has been "The Matrix" that in 1999 brought in a modest $171 million in domestic ticket sales compared to the $431 million won by "The Phantom Menace" in the same year. You can bet that there is alot of "bad blood" between WB and Fox which also compete in the network television world.

Now Warner Brothers has a real hit on it's hands with the Harry Potter franchise. Indeed, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is a likely candidate to break the all time domestic Box Office record held by "Titanic" at $600 million. Harry Potter brought in somewhere between(numbers aren't solid yet) $28-$31.5 million yesterday, a new one day record, beating Phantom Menace's old record of $28.1 million. This, of course, means a GREAT DEAL more to the executives at WB. The success of Harry Potter will create a real buzz in Hollywood and will likely attract new showbiz talent to the studio. On top of that, there will be at least 3 Harry Potter movies, possibly 4, one coming out each year.

My guess is that some executives at Warner Brothers didn't think it was appropriate to be advertising for the "competition"(I.E. "Attack of the Clones") in front of it's cash cow, the boy wizard, and the trailer was pulled. What does Fox have to think about that? Well, chew on this, Fox gets a lowly 0%(that's right, a big round goose egg) percent cut of the Box Office sales of "Attack of the Clones". The only money to be made by Fox for the next Star Wars prequel is a small distribution fee. That's becuase Uncle George and his deep pockets completely financed the film.

This Hollywood infighting is even being felt and expressed by the fans. Last night, after coming out of the theater, I was yelled at by several "Harry Potter" fans who were dressed like wizards just because I was wearing a Star Wars T-Shirt!! :mad: Star Wars Fans aren't innocent either. In fact there was THIS rather rude post made by a fan in TFN's Costuming & Props Forum.

To me all of this monkey business is simply insanity. After all, Star Wars and Harry Potter are truly differnet franchises but have alot in common. They're both great stories that follow the pattern of the "Hero's Journey" and share many other comon themes. They both have MASTERPIECE musical scores written by the Soundtrack God, John Williams. Industrial Light & Magic has signed on to do the Visual Effects for Harry Potter II - "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" which comes out in November 2002.

Well, sorry for the long post. I hope you find my ramblings useful. Oh, and by the way, I absolutely LOVED "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". :D

Later,

5. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    Wow....all of this is insane. I can't believe they're fighting over all of that.
    I almost went to see Harry Potter yesterday but now I'm kinda glad I didn't. I did download the trailer though, and I've watched it about 30 times. It is so awesome!!

Anyway....

I hope all of this works out in the end...

6. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I love Harry Potter as well. I was only wondering who did the CGI in the movie? I was hoping that ILM would do the next one.

7. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    From what I've seen in trailers and from what I've heard from friends who've seen it, appearantly the FX were pretty crappy.
    The bluescreening in all the trailers hurt my eyes and my roomies were saying that the CGI didn't match the lighting very well.

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I saw HP today; fantastic movie, but I wish they had the AOTC trailer up! My roommate saw HP in SLC and the trailer was attached. Curse her for not bringing me!

9. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Gee and to think I have like 7 movie theaters that about a 10-20 minute drive from my house. I'm so lucky. :p They are all different companies too.

10. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everyone,

As I indicated earlier, the "Forbidden Love" code name "Black Eyes" trailer was shipped to theaters accross the country. A last minute plea from Warner Brothers demmanded that the trailer not be shown in front of Harry Potter, but in the end, the real decision was up to the theater owner.

If you did see the Episode II trailer in front of Harry Potter, count yourself lucky. ;)

Later,

11. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Last tuesday I saw Harry Potter.... With Trailer. It's at Spanish 8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.