main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Episode 3 Dresses (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by The_Lady_THX, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Lady_THX

The_Lady_THX Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    I know its majorly early, but I was just wondering if they had started showing anything from Ep3, OR if anyone has any idea what Padme's dresses will look like.

Colours, styles, ECT.

Share?

Milo

2. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Well last news was the costuming department was going in full swing already so maybe once filming starts we'll start getting some spy photos.

We know Padme will be preganet in Ep 3, so we can expect some materinity clothing. I am assuming dark colors... Blacks, blues, purples, greys.. will be used again since there is war going on. I dont think padme will have as many costume this time as she did in Ep 2.

3. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    LOL! I'm not the only one dying to sew, I mean see the "new" Padme dresses :)
    I thought they won't be shooting until June, so maybe the first spy pics will be out this Summer-Yeah! I'm sure they'll keep most of them a secret as long as they can.

I know there was a "call out" for professional seamstresses who sew at couture level. Hopefully we will see some well fitted pretty dresses, and not so much "circus tent" maternity wear. Although it will be neat to see what expectant mothers wear in a galaxy far, far away. I have to agree with Jedi Samantha that there probably won't be so many elaborate dresses for Padme. But, I know Trisha will come up with some fabulous, unique designs.

Ferd :)

4. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    **whew** I saw this thread and just about had a heart-attack. ALREADY!?!? [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I'm still trying to get through my Episode 2 stuff. :D

5. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    *Sniff Sniff* :_|

I think I'll have to give up on trying to do any of Padme's costumes from EpIII due to my other SW & LOTR Costume commitments (especially Zam and Sabe Royal Decoy). Unless another "simple" attire like the White Battle Suit pop up.

Can't wait to see them anyway.

6. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Hmmmmm... I'm sure the Ep. III gowns will be lovely, but the maternity angle makes it unlikely that I'll want any of them.
    I'm hoping there will magically be some that are not full-belly regalia.
    But then, there are always scads of other characters with the potential for interesting ensembles, so I'm sure I'll fall in love with something from the film and need a copy for myself. :)

-sg

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    This is from the latest Homing Beacon:

Tragedy follows the beautiful Amidala as well. Since Episode I, McCaig has helped develop Padmé?s intricate costumes, which often serve as reflections of her political position, and where she is in her life. "What are we wearing this year in Star Wars?" smiles McCaig. "In Episode I, she was the Queen, and she was wearing disguises. I once said she should be able to slip out of the back of the costume, and you?d never know she was gone. Ironically, in this one, she?s back to wearing disguises. As well as now hiding this marriage to a Jedi, which is not allowed, she has to hide the fact that she?s going to have babies. All of the costumes had to disguise these facts." -Ian McCaig

Any ideas or thoughts about this? Padme back to disguises. Costumes that will apparently help to mask her pregnancy.
    I can't wait to see! :D

8. mjade19

mjade19 Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2000
    Well, if the costumes are disguises like Episode I you could probably hide twenty babies in them!

9. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    You beat me to it Dawn! :D

So possibly high waisted designs? Very straight figure type stuff. I would assume no form fitting apparel like her white battle costume ;) Possibly something more like the blue dress she wore on Tatooine.

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Sorry Jedi Girl :p

I predict a few very nice cloaks/capes too.

11. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    A Tent? :p

Yub, something very loosly fitted or straight cut.

Still remember that my late mom was so successful in hiding her last pregnacy from her fellow workers by wearing loosly fitted dress all the time, that they got a shock when I told them that my mom is on MC cause she had given birth! :p

12. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    The costumes are probably not going to be quite as fancy(since she is trying to draw attention away fromherself), but I'm sure they'll be just as elegant and well suited to Padme's looks.

Darker colors to fit in with the mood of the movie and because of the slimming effect.

I have high expectations for these costumes... partly because I won't have to go build those abs on my tummy ;) :p

13. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    When I read the homing becon, I got an image of the red senate gown. (wait, I do have a reason) Because of the fabric running down the front of it, combined with the outer cloak, you could infact hide a lot of babies under there. Trisha could use just a way of layering fabric in certain areas, so we would still see the fashion sense Padme had in Episode 2, but just with a few accents that wouldn't go noticed by others around her. I don't know, that's my two cents.

14. BriaTharen

BriaTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    can you post a link to that picture Jedilucas?

I am expecting to see a couple of Empire waisted dresses b/c that would hide maternatiy very well if it is done right

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've also been thinking empire-style dresses. And since I love that modell I wouldn't be too unhappy when making a costume looking like that. :D

16. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    Here's a link to an image on the Padawans Guide:
    http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/senate5.jpg

(sorry about the cut and paste)

It just seemed to me that the layering of fabric could conceal someone being pregant. *shrugs* Anyone share that view?

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, you could hide a couple babies under there. ;) I like the idea of layering rich and fancy fabrics. That could be Padme-ish.
    Maybe we will see dresses with the lines of the
    red throne room gown from TPM:

or
    this gown from AOTC:

I'm trying to think of other things they can do to distract someone's eyes whom she doesn't want to know that she is pregnant from looking at her belly. Maybe lots of interesting necklines or collars with lots of detailing and baubles. Maybe she will have ornate hair or headdresses, jewelry etc. Things to draw your eyes to her face.

18. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I've been pondering on this, and what comes to mind is 15th century Italian Renaissance gowns, with their empire waists, dark, rich colors, voluminous folds and very heavy fabrics (brocades, wools, velvets). Plus, those gowns came with more than enough embellishments/headdresses to please the eye. They may also employ 14th century Northern Renaissance styles, as well. Even some gowns of the Plantagenet era of the 12th century might give inspiration (the more matronly styles).

Oh, my head is just swimming with the possibilities! :)

19. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    I agree with the reniassance style of clothing. My one concern though is that episode three is set 1-3 years after episode two. From my view on Padme's style on her free choice clothes, most were airy,save for the corest gown (which was leather, but showed a lot of skin) the senate dress, (which was formal wear for her job) and the traveling gown. The rest showed skin, or clung to it. One could always keep the empire waists, but maybe leave the back of the dress out? *shrugs* I don't know. It depends on how pregant Padme is going to be. Concedering that she's carrying twins, she's going to be pretty big :) But, on another note, the galaxy is now at war. Do you think that might have an effect on the choice of clothing, at least color or fabric wise?

20. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    Perhaps Padme will only be in the very early stages of pregnancy and will not show at all. Then she could keep her flowy, clingy clothes and still no one would know until it is 'announced'.

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I really think the twins will be born during the film. If so, I wonder if Padme will miraculously go right back to her pre-pregnancy fit figure right after giving birth. Probably.

22. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    LOL... I just had a silly though...

"Pregancies in costumers increase in anticipation of fitting into Padme EIII costumes" ;)

I think my boyfriend should be terrified.. but I've got a couple years yet. ;) :p

23. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
  24. scribe88

scribe88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    Maybe there will actually be a costume plus-size women can wear.

25. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    I'm hoping so! All those tummy revealing dressed had me worried for a bit :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.